Ghost in the Shell Storyline

“We’re not doing Puppetmaster. It’s not Laughing Man. It involves Kuze. The Kuze story. The big thing we are doing here is that we’re not necessarily doing an origins backstory, but we are addressing her sense of self and resolving how she defines herself in terms of memories. That’s one of the main thrusts in the story. Inspired by that episode of Affection in Second Gig. It’s bits and pieces of those mixed together.”

collider.com/ghost-in-the-shell-movie-story-details/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social#innocence

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EIVgSuuUTwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=LnyGKtSgfLU
youtube.com/watch?v=u6mMuUnJWRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Oh well. We almost had a good movie.

anime is gay. why cant you just let the producers make something they wanna make, and not base it all on something that already exists?

Good lord someone end it now

I dont know shit about GitS. Can anyone explain why is this bad?

It was never going to be good.

It's a shit storyline from the crappy second season of the TV series. But the movie was never going to be good anyhow, like said.

$100,000 they shove transgender shit and Mosslims in.

Add refugee camps and I'm in.

The story's already about a refugee island and America trying to nuke it.

I liked the Kuze storyline.

It's about a freak who creates a virus that causes people to commit suicide as an act of political protest. He spreads misinformation on the net to sway public opinion into detesting refugees, and he stages false military operations meant to provoke refugees into becoming suicide bombers. He then creates a type of Che Guevara political persona, Kuze, who goes rogue and tries to lead the refugees to independence. All this leads up to the climax, where the villain tries to nuke the refugee district and cover it up as a mass suicide bombing.

The scope of the story is enormous and there's no fucking way they're going to do it justice.

>hating 2nd gig
shit opinion it's more relevant than ever

Kuze is the worst part of GiTS though

This shit is DOA.

Even Laughing Man was a more interesting plot. If they do Kuze then they better include Gouda and show how he "controls" Kuze in a sense like he said "my role is to be the producer of that hero".

2nd gig was interesting because we had 25 episodes to cover what was (I thought) a complicated series of events. Trying to do it in 2 hours will fail though

So it will be a lousy origins movie.
And if it's based on the Kuze story it will very probably be massively pro-immigration.

Hey now, the second season was pretty good.

Also a nice example of what happens when you take in millions of refugees. Hopefully Europe doesn't have to go full on nuclear to solve their problem though.

>I find that part of the reason we didn’t do Puppetmaster in this movie was we didn’t really feel like we had time to tell that story
They felt that they couldn't tell the same story that the original movie managed to tell in under 90 minutes and instead decided to adapt a 26 episode series? What?

is there any chance this beign good?
i mean i watched the trailers, they have almost nothing on them but i can see in one of them that Motoko had fear, that shit is a huge let down because she shows no emotions at all, SHE IS A FUCKING ROBOT FOR FUCKS SAKES

for me who doesn't watch GITS at all, and for a standalone 2 hrs movie, it sounds good and actually relevant to todays world. Of course Hollywood wouldn't be bothered with details or depths from the series but it is an interesting story.

>Kuze story
So it will be about muh refugees.

into the trash it goes

That's actually a good idea. "An artificial consciousness comes to life" is such an overplayed trope nowadays (sorry, Wintermute).

They'll probably butcher it, though.

2nd gig was so boring compared to 1st gig

Hollywood logic

Laughing Man would have been a much better storyine but in a way I am glad they wont get to rape it

But I have a feeling they would like to do it as a sequel. Hope this shit bombs hard enough for them to bury this

>Laughing Man would have been a much better storyine
Yeah, I agree.

I don't get how they think they can't do the Puppetmaster's storyline due to time, since that was from a 80-minute movie, but they can do Kuze's, when he had an entire season-long story arc.

Is Yoko Kanno doing the score at least?
youtube.com/watch?v=EIVgSuuUTwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=LnyGKtSgfLU

Otherwise /trash/ immediately.

>yfw Origa is die

>It's about a freak who creates a virus that causes people to commit suicide as an act of political protest. He spreads misinformation on the net to sway public opinion into detesting refugees, and he stages false military operations meant to provoke refugees into becoming suicide bombers. He then creates a type of Che Guevara political persona, Kuze, who goes rogue and tries to lead the refugees to independence. All this leads up to the climax, where the villain tries to nuke the refugee district and cover it up as a mass suicide bombing.
>mirroring our current perception of tech and culture
This movie will be for the Sup Forums mind not the Sup Forumsedditor

The thing with the puppetmaster storyline is that it's not that much of an action heavy story.
Plus, the ending would be probably kinda unsatisfactory to Joe Sixpack.

RIP in PEACES

>mfw the Major just straight up executed Gouda
2nd Gig was pretty boring though.

One of the best moments of the series:
youtube.com/watch?v=u6mMuUnJWRQ

Also 2nd Gig owns, I don't know what you guys are talking about. I know they'll screw it up, but the Major's origin story episode that they mention taking inspiration from is one of the best.

>Individual Eleven story in one movie

How much do you want to bet there'll be a Marvel-esque after credits scene of someone giving a press conference or something and suddenly the Laughing Man logo appearing over their face?

That's what Section 9 does, they just murder people who think political schemes will keep them safe

screencapped,if its true I kms

Damn, I don't remember the animation looking this bad.

Also the dub sucks.

>Also the dub sucks.

You shut your mouth.

there's no way to fit second gig into one film. It's also has a level of complexity which is probably incompatible with a wide number of audience members. Judging by how the film crew was inspired by that 'Affection' episode of ths second film, which was while sweet, not hugely relevent to the story, I can see this becoming a pretty crappy love story
Also, it seems like with the little time they have to fit in the second gig film, they're stuffing in other scenes from the original movie like the garbage man fight. god damnit

CHECKED

>Is Yoko Kanno doing the score at least?
I don't think plagiarism is as accepted in the west as it is in nipland

Nice quads.
Not giving a cent for this movie through.. .

Its visuals will probably save the movie fom being a complete flop

It doesnt look bad

Who IS doing the score?

Laughing Man would have been a smarter plot to adapt especially given with the success of Mr.Robot

>2nd Gig was pretty boring though.

This

Not that guy and I agree about 2nd gig being overall good, but then he referenced the episode with the kid and said it was going to be a lot of that, which was not my favorite part

Welp I definitely wont be watching this.

At least if they're doing the refugee storyline we get to see the kick ass scene where the guy is hacked and highjacks a combat helicopter to go bomb the refugees.

Pretty kick ass scene.

Other than that, I still can't believe they cast a blue eyed blonde girl as someone named Motoko Kusanagi.

are you sure about that?
youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

>not hatewatching this

I don't think it will be bad enough for that, it won't be good, but I just don't see it being hatewatching bad.

just put it out of its misery already

I dont understand how some of these directoirs get these jobs if they aint got the bollocks to stand up tothe fucking israelie's behind them, seriously if I was a director I would be like no we're fucking going with Puppetmaster or find someone else, regardless if I kicked I will be hailed a hero for not going along with thhe fucking jewery at hand

But a central premise of the media franchise, and particularly of the famous Oshii film, is that human beings can have their brains and spinal cords (plus a few other organs), retaining their essential "selves", implanted into otherwise totally artificial, and quite heavy, metal mechanical bodies, thereby becoming cyborgs, robocop style. It is also perfectly clear that the appearance of the new cyborg body might be anything that the implantee desires, or is able to afford. I will admit to not knowing much about the TV series, the sequel and so on, but I've read the original manga and watched the original film so I know perfectly well that everything I'm saying applies. For example, I'm not sure about Motoko's background, but I've seen it suggested that "Motoko" was previously a much older woman, or even possibly a man. And even if this is not canon in this-or-that media, then the basic premise of the franchise still makes it perfectly clear that some asian woman might very well elect to have her brain etc implanted into a white-looking cyborg body. Which would both be in keeping with the apperance of anime itself, and also makes perfect sense when you consider the racial envy of Asians toward whites as it is on display in places like Japan (anime), South Korea (plastic surgery to look more white is routine), etc.

>youtube.com/watch?v=EIVgSuuUTwQ
if that isn't the tightest shit

the original movie soundtrack intro was better than this numale faggotry piece of shit, go get anal cancer you fucking pleb

Origa's dead, user. We'll never get another glorious GitS theme song that blends Latin, Russian, and English lyrics.

i respect your opinion and your entitlement to have one but i believe you're wrong

>Not Kenji Kawai

grow some taste senpai

>why cant you just let the producers make something they wanna make, and not base it all on something that already exists?
>forgetting BvS

The series is already about that stuff

How can you be so wrong about multiple things at once?

my opinion of your opinion is I dont give a shit the original movie had a better intro opening song that was philosophically better than this fucking faget bitch spewing "Nnnnngnnnggggg yaannnngg gannnnng ngggannnngg" bullshit trying to make out its some sort of fucking latin with edge, where as the original movie had the theme and thouught provocation literally embedded into your mind from the get et with visual and audio, it's not even an opinion of mine is objective fact. Kenji Kawai fucking set the bar so high it'll never be matched and this was a good time to try and meet it but then went lower than that numale faget shit you posted so you should consider necking yourself.

In Ghost in the Shell #1 her body is described as being a mass production model so as to not be conspicuous. Your point that they could choose to look like anything is true, but she did not. No matter how much racial envy you think they have, white people stand out. It would not be a good choice for being inconspicuous.

I already know Sup Forums will sperg out and claim "sjws ruin everything" when this was always a part of this shit.
horseshoe theory at full force

>someone named Motoko Kusanagi
I know a black guy, with pretty much the most german name there is. It is just the name, she looks not asian at all.
Dont get triggered over "muh whitewashing" in general. It is stupid and hypocritical. It is especially dumb, when it is a robot

Motoko was like 8 years old when she was in a plane crash that rekt her body. She was in a coma for a while (months, not years) before going critical and being carted out of the room where Kuze, also about the same age, was. She got a prosthetic body back when it was fairly new so her fine motor skills suffered in the new body. She is canonically female. That said they don't really say how long ago that was IIRC so she very well may be a bit older than her body shows now, although I'd have to rewatch that episdoe because the lady she is talking to that has her old body I think said how long ago she came into possession of the body. But yes, you're right. Batou even suggests the Major get a bigger stronger male body model in the first season of SAC. He challenges her to a fight to prove it, and she hacks his brain and makes him punch himself, citing you don't need to be a huge cyborg if you can just hack them.

>they cast a blue eyed blonde girl as someone named Motoko Kusanagi
It's a shell.

>regardless if I kicked I will be hailed a hero for not going along with thhe fucking jewery at hand
>this is how autist think Hollywood works

>It was me, Motoko
>I created the virus because we met once when we were kids
>You could say we're like brothers

Autism is a hell of a thing

It already looks Dragonball Evolution-tier.

Now you're telling me they used a storyline that will allow them to turn GiTS into 'MUH WEFYUGEES' propaganda?

Is there a ghost in it?

OH MY GOD I JUST SUMMED UP THE THEMES OF GITS WITH A SINGLE QUESTION

>yfw they make Kuze a generic supergenius villain with a tie to the main character

prove me its not

>You will never be this autistically mad over anything in your life

I've watched this series a dozen times, your post is literally the first time I've ever found out what it was actually about.

Are they just going with the Kuze storyline because it parallels what is going on with the current refugee crisis? I know this show is a decade old or so but it's quite coincidental how much technology has gotten advanced and what is going on in Europe mirrors the Gits refugee crisis a little.

You could have done something from the manga that hasn't been done yet. You could have done something original. But nope, gonna base it on the worst part of SAC.

10/10 well done fuck you.

it is very relevant, the storyline was really good, but there's no way they can do it properly because that storyline was a complete season, not every single episode was devoted to it but it was the underlying plot on every single one.
I don't think any of the plots is doable by mediocre pieces of shit like the ones working on this one just for the cash grab but Kuze storyline could be the easiest for normies to understand.

>it turns out to be an okay movie
Sup Forums is always wrong

Sure it is, James Horner freely admitted ripping off other composers for years.

Your synopsis sounds a lot more interesting than what I thought about 2nd Gig when I watched it years ago, maybe I need to rewatch it.

Kuze storyline with the refugees is easier to grasp for normies and easier to make money since they had enough marketing with current world news about it.
Laughing Man or Puppetmaster on the other hand... they will need a pre-show with someone explaining transhumanism with puppets

You've missed the point. In anime, /everybody/ who is supposed to be asian instead looks white, and yet we are supposed to assume for discussion that all (almost all) of the characters being depicted are Japanese, Asian, etc. In the internal logic of most anime, actually looking white is not at all conspicuous, because we occupy a strange parallel 2D universe where pretty much everybody looks white*. So to make an RL movie with white actors is not a jarring produciton design, decision, especially given the sci-fi premise and cultural history of anime, as I've explained.

Now, if the actress is surrounded by a conspicuously Asian supporting cast, then yes, I could see how that production design choice would be jarring. But it could still be explained away to a large degree by "anime-logic", the filmmakers wanting to do something a little different with the property, the setting being a po-mo vaporwave less-homogeneous Japan where there actually are substantial numbers of white-looking people/cyborgs around in addition to the Asian looking people/cyborgs, etc. Plenty of justifiable retconning options to shoehorn in white actresses and actors into your disgusting 3DPD whaitu piggu RL anime movie. Although not based on an anime (that I know of), The Matrix comes to mind, for its white actors and "anime-physics".

*Except for the oddball series like Akira where much smaller eyes/moon-faces are the style of choice, most people have black/brown hair, and it's much easier to actually see the asian features in the drawings and stills themselves. but these are the exceptions, and not the rule.

They aren't saying they do the plot of 2nd gig.
They'll show how Motoko became what she is based on the Affection episode.

They won't add them in for the same reasons that they were originally in, and as such will do it badly.

They didn't do too badly with the Individual Eleven movie although it was definitely harder to understand.

2nd Gig had a feature-length adaptation. You guys forgot about the Individual Eleven OVA.

What films did this guy make?

Oh for fucks sake, reciclying the same story over and over again fucking sucks, come up with something new! Thats why the new movies sucked shit and why this will suck more shit.

That's still twice the length of the movie.

>turns out ok because normies will shovel this up like shovelware movie equivelant of games, they dont use brains or think for themselves or objectively look for good things, its fucking pathetic

What are you top 10 films of 2015 and top how many ever you have so far for 2016

Which is terribly edited and only makes sense to people who watched the entire show beforehand.

that's in the tv series, the two movies and comics is never clear on that. Still is a nice background and ties up really well with Kuze in the end.

>all these faggots dissing 2nd GiG
Clearly y'all niggas got some nostalgia goggles on. Structure-wise (among other things) it's is so much better. And better structure makes a show better no matter what.