Is baseball genuinely in trouble?

is baseball genuinely in trouble?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/most-popular-sports-in-the-us-2016-3
forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2015/05/18/baseball-is-beating-the-nba-and-nhl-playoffs-in-local-tv-ratings/#b5b7ca8369b7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Regular Season Baseball
>In May
nah that's the norm, no one gives a shit this early

Legalize steroids. Boom. Baseball saved.

Agreed. Greatest sports era ever

baseball was always my favorite sport as a kid and i stopped paying attention when they banned steroids

Let's hope so.

No

Not at all.

"no"

>auto racing
>is a sport
When will this meme die?

Pirates fan here. We're shit again because our string of good fortune of bucking the odds against an owner who doesn't care and refuses to raise the payroll is over. So, no, I don't care anymore. Out with Bob Nutting.

>auto racing

I have never in my life met anyone that watches or follows this. I'm starting to think these people don't actually exist, the crowds are all just actors.

Too many game, too few balls.

that's because you hang around a bunch of pencil dicked millennial cocksuckers who want stephen curry to cum on their face. go to a sports bar on the next daytona 500 and make some new friends.

To be fair to him, I don't think racing is a thing in Canada.

It's too early in the season to really give a shit.

Most people (me included) don't care about baseball until the all-star break

The season is just way too long. Anything that happens now is almost irrelevant

this is the dumbest thing i hear people say.

theres several teams that miss the playoffs by one game every season

>can't build stars
>can't hype games
>can't market games
>can't give any reward for going to a game
>drowned in "muh unwritten rules"
>drowned in "muh history"
>drowned in the stink of old farts clinging onto the past
>drowned in many outdated, objectively stupid rules
>living in the dark shadow of the steroid era that both tarnished the name of baseball while also being more exciting than the trash now
>baseball """highlights""" are people running around in the stands with 100s of cups stacked
>baseball """highlights""" are squirrels running around on the field
>baseball """highlights""" are people dropping their cell phones
>baseball """highlights""" are fans happy to catch a foul ball
>baseball """discussion""" is talking about the history of the ballpark because the sport itself is dogshit to watch
>baseball """discussion""" is talking about the price of a ratshit hotdog, its name, and its absurd price of 20 dollary doos

gee i wonder why basebore fucking sucks. just can't put my finger on it

48% of people say they will follow baseball in some capacity though??

>t. LeZika D'Yung Jackson

Where and when was this poll. Also that doesn't even seem bad

This desu. If this was true, half the nation is watching the World Series in a way. Even more so, an online poll is usually 18-49 year old demographic, which is the one demogrpaphic they are "losing" to in NBA and NFL. This poll is useless

>hype
>market
>reward
i hope you die, and soon. and please, take your entire generation with you.

And if polls try to represent the nation's interest through a selected sample size.. I think the MLB would be very happy to know that 22% of the US follows the sport.

Specially given how early in the season it is.

>play 1000 games
>win 899
>other team wins 900
>OH WOW SO EXCITING EVERYTHING CAME DOWN TO GAME 652 WHEN THEY LOST WTF?????

He's an NBA fan. They've always been more interested in following stars, storylines, and highlights than a sport.

They're basically a micro-step up from pro wrestling fans.

Look how ratings crashed every time Jordan didn't play.

>OH WOW SO EXCITING EVERYTHING CAME DOWN TO GAME 652 WHEN THEY LOST WTF?????

You've proven the point that every game is worth following.

When you miss the playoffs by one game, that early May loss starts to look important.

>I swear besibol is good
>except the first few months they suck but the rest is good! I assure you it's a good sport!!

No one besides seriously diehard baseball fans pay close attention to every game from the start of the season

Also because of how many games there are, no one pays attention to teams that arent their own except diehards, unlike other sports

Muh polls

Go to bed Nate Pewter

Honestly, now that the Cubs won, there's no reason to keep watching.

that's not what he's saying leaf. the sport doesn't change, the weather just gets fairer.

Nooooooo

>fatswing will be irrelevant in your lifetime

yes
im very worried about mlb

Is apehoop in trouble?

businessinsider.com/most-popular-sports-in-the-us-2016-3

How does it generate so much fucking money? Prior to playoffs, most team stadiums are barren, and i can't imagine TV ratings are high.

>Prior to playoffs, most team stadiums are barren

that's bullshit

This makes me sad.... :(

Poor lads

>Prior to playoffs, most team stadiums are barren

This isn't close to being true

fake

30K is the league wide average attendance.

Baseball television ratings kill it regionally and often outdraw the NBA playoffs in those markets.

All this "baseball is dying" "only old people watch baseball" stem from retarded journalists using national ESPN ratings as their proof.

forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2015/05/18/baseball-is-beating-the-nba-and-nhl-playoffs-in-local-tv-ratings/#b5b7ca8369b7

>Wanting to be friends with Cletus and his Uncle Brothers

>I need to see ESPN highlights to like this sport
>I need to be enticed by fancy lights to go to games

wew lad

I know multiple people who travel once or twice a year to F1 Grands Prix.

From a business standpoint? no. The sport is still making money and will make money for the foreseeable future. the only problems with the MLB I can see are the A's and Rays stadium situation. Once those two teams build new arenas/relocate, MLB will be as stable as ever.

From a cultural and age standpoint, yes. the average age of a baseball fan is 55 and growing older every year, higher than any other relevant sport. They are having problems with youth engagement. This is caused by a multitude of things like expensive gear for youth baseball, expensive game tickets in many cities, it requires patience in both viewing and playing, etc. Minor League development has sort of gone to shit as well. Other countries are completely destroying us in terms of player development to the point where MLB teams are building facilities in places like the DR to scout players.

Personally though, I think the lack of personalities in the sport are baseball's biggest problem. There are no Griffeys, there are no Barrys, there are no Clemens. The unanimous top player is Mike Trout, who is amazing when up to bat, but has the blandest personality. He's not funny, doesn't have a brand, doesn't have a message, and is hardly in the public eye. Honestly, Hillary Clinton has a more honest appearance and better branding than Trout. and it's not just Trout, a lot of today's stars have no marketability. Kershaw, Bumgarner, Kris Bryant, etc. Even the more intense/cool players like Harper and Cano fail to attract as well as other sports stars. Every kid knows who Lebron and Curry are. Most kids knows who Rodgers is. Save for some of the more rural locations, most kids couldn't name Kershaw or Trout.

I understand there are baseball traditionalists, and I'm not advocating to seriously alter the game. But the players need to have better marketability, they need to have controversy, they need to be stars.

They need to make the average job care about the national pastime.

Cricket's dying too. People just don't have time for that shit anymore.

>baseball and cricket spread all across the world, especially Baseball
>“lol the sport is dying“

Baseball deserves to die.

>flashy lights
>cinematic highlights
>muh sad backstory about Trayvon DaQuan Hakeem Abdul Thompson Brown III and his six brothers
>to entice you to watch a fucking game
Basketball fans seem like a bunch of gloryhunters and swagfags to me tbqh

>Australian shitposting

Isn't that basically how all maericans "follow" sports though?

Most people just watch games.

Baseball is shit because they barely hit the fucking ball.

Watching 3 hours of batters swing and miss is fucking gay

fuck, it's really declining

Because it's the boomer's sport. Now that boomers have retired, they can spend their retirement money on baseball.

That's fine for now, but looking very grim, boomers aren't eternal.

same shit can be said about soccer 90% of the time.

I know it's pointless football-hating, but you can't really compare a bland football game to a bland baseball game, as the football game has clearly more action than the baseball game.

>criticize something i like and ill just label it baseless hating.

baseball is dead sport just the facts

we can get hot dogs anywhere now

>a bland soccer game has more highlights than a bland baseball game
Exactly the other way around.
I love football but baseball's highlights are much more frequent on average

>“I have never watched a baseball game“

>t. Trayvon Martinez de Sosa Garcías

Autists like this are why baseball is dead

>“Oh my god, someone disagrees with my untrue statements“

Not an untrue statement. I watch many baseball games. I like it but it's difficulty is also its downfall.

Just no. I know you love your sport etc. and baseball games can have a great ambiance, this very unique americana thing, but it's just super boring.
There are of course some peaks of actions, but way less than in football, where the ball is constantly moving around, where teams try to build up, find the gap and accelerate
The amount of action between the 2 sports can't be compared. For example in baseball games you'll always have dead times, and so much fillers, like organ playing, constant replays, statistics displays, small bio facts about players, etc. stuff that you'll never see in a football half-time

What the fuck do you even know anything about baseball?

Then you obviously watch the wrong games, friendo

baseball doesn't have a problem. controversial stars aren't going to make 10 year olds watch 162 fucking game's. it's an adult sport for adults, and there's nothing wrong with that. you can tell all the complaints come from people with little to no patience. who do we know that has little to no patience? that's right, little kids and teenagers.

"This is a game to be savored, not gulped"

the sport and league has been around for nearly 130 years ,150 for the sport alone

it has gone through ups and downs but has always been more popular than hockey and basketball even at their respective peak

football in recent history just overtook baseball but with the massive amount of scandals and political meddling in the past few decades that would very well change especailly since pop warner football is banned and going to be banned in many states , middle school football is virtually non-existent and there is no traveling league like baseball has , then pile onto the fear for parents of their child having a mental deficiency from being whacked around

add to the fact that the hispanic community in the united states are more connected to baseball than soccer , basketball and football

the mexican community in the west coast alone watch more baseball than basketball especially in LA of all cities

the sport is not dying anytime soon , the league is healthy and getting bigger every year since the early 2000s

This.
Baseball is a patricians' game