When was your last hearing test Sup Forums? Do you think you've damaged your hearing from listening to music too loud...

When was your last hearing test Sup Forums? Do you think you've damaged your hearing from listening to music too loud, going to shows without hearing protection, etc?

what?

kek

Never had one, and yes, especially so because I play drums. My eyes are fucked too for the most part due to shitty lighting and too much screen time, but that generally clears up whenever I spend extended periods of time away from home.

do you wear any hearing protection when you're on the tubs? shit'll catch up with you man

Yeah I wear decent earmuffs, but I also often play along to tracks through headphones underneath them, which have to be relatively loud.

it's little things like not being able to hear a computer fan sitting in the same place where i used to
i'm only 21 though so who knows what awaits, at least after noticing things like that i've started using protection and moderating loud volumes
humbuckers on a strat are always gonna be a fucking bitch though, no way around that

should get some custom earmolds done up so you get a good amount of isolation and don't have to blast it too much

Have to assume my hearing has been damaged over time. I'm a drummer and go to shows a lot, mostly without ear protection.

I also use in-ear buds almost daily. I use them as ear protection when I play drums now but it's still bad for your ears to have something inside of the ear canal.

Get random bouts of tinnitus for 30 seconds or so sometimes but so far that's it.

>tfw playing electronic drums with headphones on for two hours a day

>tfw playing a bright guitar with headphones on for two hours a day
just fuck my shit up

>it's still bad for your ears to have something inside of the ear canal.
Eh, not necessarily. It can cause wax to buildup or get compacted but it's generally not a huge issue. Most hearing aids have a ventilation tube though which is nice, and earbuds/inserts don't generally offer that (you lose dat bass if you do that).

The problem is loud sounds you exposed yourself to years ago may not have instantly damaged your stereocilia but they can only handle so much fatigue in a lifetime (i.e. why old people naturally lose their hearing over time). You can prevent further damage but you may have gotten a bit of a headstart on your age-related hearing loss

does anyone else have jaw related tinnitus? sometimes it's hard to know which is which since i have it from the jaw even worse than sound aside from occasional flare ups

some steroid injections or the like can treat that user. do you have steady cochlear tinnitus or is it intermittent as well?

Yeah I'm certain I've done myself no favours and will probably start losing my hearing earlier than most. That's for future me to worry about though

i have had tinnitus since i can remember. what's the fucking point

Everything's for future-you to worry about user

Tinnitus ≠ hearing loss. Also, tinnitus and hearing never improve, they only worsen.

>Also, tinnitus and hearing never improve, they only worsen.

that sucks

I think I was either born with tinnitus or I got it very early in life. I can remember being 6ish years old and hearing ringing constantly

That makes me sad user. Have you seen anyone about this? Depending on the circumstances there are some meds that make it go away (usually only if they get to it early though), but there are also some really good programs that give people tricks to cope so it's not so annoying.

Pro Tip: DO NOT go to a so-called "sound therapist"" under any circumstance. They use plausible pseudoscience to take money from people who are desperately distressed by their tinnitus and it should be illegal.

I've learned to live with it, for the most part. I bet it would be weird as fuck to hear nothing, though...do normal people actually hear nothing when there is silence?

Nah, everyone has one type of tinnitus or another. Sometimes it's a ringing, sometimes it's just a rumble or a white-noise type sound, it's just normally low enough to not be audible in daily life. If you sit yourself in a dead quiet anechoic chamber or something everyone will start to hear the noises their ears are making.

>Nah, everyone has one type of tinnitus or another.
oh, I see...so no one can hear silence! this makes me feel a bit better : D

Tinnitus is merely just the noise remix of 4'33''

>tfw still no tront version

this thread scares me.
I don't listen to music too loud but I play the drums without protection

if you invest a little money, not as little as $1 but also not as much as $50, you can get hearing protection (muffs or plugs) that are designed to actually sound good while making everything less loud. Cheep foam or wax plugs and crappy earmuffs are great for industrial noise protection but for music they absolutely suck, so nobody wants to use them. Get some proper musician's plugs ($20-$30 or so) and you'll actually use them while playing and at shows and stuff. If you're pro spend the $185 on custom molds.

ßump

That's the spirit

>When was your last hearing test?
Never.
> Do you think you've damaged your hearing from listening to music too loud, going to shows without hearing protection, etc?
Yes. I have a hard time understanding people, fairly often I have to ask them to repeat. It's not necessarily a problem of listening to music too loud or going to loud shows without earplugs (I never go to shows anyhow) It's more of a suspicion that my ears are blocked and I have to play the music louder than normal just to get the lower level of volume. I thought that if this were actually the case my ears would physically hurt, but honestly it's just a guess and I have no knowledge of the human ear at all.

>I have a hard time understanding people, fairly often I have to ask them to repeat.
In what situations user? Normal quiet 1-on-1 on noisier social situations with lots of background noise and people talking and such?
>It's more of a suspicion that my ears are blocked
Common complaint/interpretation for people with some kind of hearing loss (permanent or temporary). It's hard to say but depends on how long it's been going on. It's unlikely that you've had middle ear fluid or wax blocking your ear canal for years... it would be noticeable for weeks maybe. If you've had any dizziness or tinnitus that might point to a different (inner ear) issue altogether.

You should get a hearing test brah just to have a look. Everyone has problems hearing in noisy situations, you might be more sensitive or worried about it but it could be normal

took a hearing test in august, iirc. my hearing is still perfect, nevermind the ten years of listening to loud music on earbuds and headphones. but i'm aware that my hearing will probably get worse as i grow older (i'm 22 now).

>In what situations user? Normal quiet 1-on-1 on noisier social situations with lots of background noise and people talking and such?
I can't always discern exactly what my stepfather says when we talk in the house, when it's quiet. It could be his accent or way of speech, I'm not sure. That's the strongest example I have in my head. As for noisier situations I have to lean in towards the other person and angle my ear up to them, let's say in a hall full of people - I attended a gaming tournament not long ago. This also happens when I'm walking with friends in busy streets. It could also be the case that my friends have accustomed to my assumed "lack of hearing". I wish my memory was sharper so I could give you more accurate situations but alas. I think a hearing test is smart and I'll look into it.

if it's good, it's good user

FORGOT TO MENTION SOMEHOW: before my hearing test i had earaches and discharges in both ears (thankfully only one at each time) but apparently these did no damage to my hearing.

Do I have tinnitus if sometimes I hear like soft static in my ears for some seconds/a minute? I come from a family where people, well, don't hear very well and often yell stuff. I have never done an earing test.

I think it was the in-ear earphones that gave me tinnitus. I don't see the point in having a hearing test at this point seeing as my shit is already done.