How come Pink Floyd has such massive mainstream normie appeal while superior prog bands like King Crimson don't?

How come Pink Floyd has such massive mainstream normie appeal while superior prog bands like King Crimson don't?

King Crimson is music for loners

Pink Floyd is for outgoing stoners

I worked with this dude that would go on and on about how Pink Floyd was such a mind-opening experience, I humored him because everyone else there had worse taste but Pink Floyd fans are the definitive "dude weed n acid" demographic.

Weed culture

bc pink floyd aren't rly legit prog

they're way less experimental

i've never rly liked proper prog but i rly love pink floyd

and yes i did listen to their shit for the first time while on my first acid trip lmao, the stereotype truly fits

Because Pink Floyd sounds like The Beatles, and everybody loves The Beatles, while King Crimson sounds like Black Sabbath meets David Bowie, and practically nobody likes either of those bands/artists.

Bowie and Sabbath are mainstream af

I never hear either get any airplay on the radio

Only because PInk Floyd is way more used in media than KC.

Everything popular in normie culture is only popular because it was featured in films, television series or video games

Rock stations play those

If you only listen to billboard top 40 that is

I never heard them get played on any rock stations

Because Pink Floyd is more accessible. King Crimson made music that sounds like Bela Bartok played by a rock band while Pink Floyd was pretty blues based and had a sound for mainstream appeal.

dude u gotta listen to this album on weed Xd

It's more accessible, blues based rock and prog pop. Very simple.

DUDE

Sabbath had absolutely no radio play back in the day except for Paranoid and it was purely by accident that they walked into a hit single.

Pink Floyd sounds more accessible than King Crimson. King Crimson is one of my favorite bands, but l will admit that they are a more acquired taste then Floyd. Floyd may sound weird at times, but a lot of their songs (especially post-Syd era) have lyrics that you can sing along to and their music has appeared in a lot of other media. Crimson has a lot improvisational elements which adds an extra layer of weirdness, half their tracks are instrumentals, but lyrically they arent that far away from Floyd (with maybe a few exceptions) and probably the best known media that has referenced the band is a manga/anime series that started in the 80's

Pink Floyd is considerably proggy but they have great pop sensibilities hidden underneath the prog. 21st Century Schizoid Man in its full form is unlikely to get airplay, but Money, even though it's going at 7/8, or Us and Them, even with its chord sequence straight out of jazz - those are likely to get airplay because they've great pop undertones, while still being quite proggy.

In a way, think of Radiohead, especially during the OK Computer era, or The Beatles; hell, even 80's and early to mid 90's U2 fits as part of that style, where you mix great pop sensibilities with quite experimental stuff (for pop anyhow).

Floyd were utterly unknown to normies pre-DSOTM especially in the US.

Iron Man got some airplay, it actually got higher on the Billboard chart than Paranoid.

Just listen to Sabbath, man.

It did but still, Iron Man only made #52 and Paranoid #63. None of their songs got played on FM either until the 80s. Paranoid was a major UK hit however. But like I said, it was an accident and Tony Iommi said they avoided doing anything that commercial again to avoid normalfags flooding their concerts.

>why is a more accessible artist more popular
if you can't answer that question yourself you probably have a very low iq

>BS
>"Whoops, we don't want to attract casual fans and become sellouts, we'd better not make songs this poppy again."
>Metallica
>"Hey...One was a hit. Didn't expect that. If we do more of these, we can make money!"

weed

You answered your own question. Normies are plebs who hate good quality things.

>Pink Floyd
>prog
Pick one

because DSOTM makes more tshirt and mug sales than ITCOTCK

learn how to speak properly you reddit fag
and nobody gives a shit about your experiences

How the fuck do you think I feel

Because of The Wall.

How do you spell pretentious?

>Pretentious
No. Being pretentious means that you act like youre hot shit but you don't have the talent to back it up. ELP was not lacking in talent at all.

You're an idiot if you think king crimson isn't just as mainstream as any pink floyd album that isn't the big 4

This guy gets it

Greg was cute :(

The same reason rap music is popular

Im straight and love pussy but holy fuck was he beautiful

>no bowie
>no sabbath
what kinda shit stations do you hear, son?

What did they mean by this?

Am I the only one that can't hear music while high? I cant seem to mash all the instrument together and can only understand one instrument at a time

You focus on one instrument, you listen to it, you appreciate it throughout the track. Then you play the song again and pick a new one.

fucken big man

thinks his penis size is proportional to the complexity of his prog rock time sigs

faggot

Rip

If you didn't know every riff on paranoid and the lyrics to every song on ziggy stardust by the time you were 5 years old, you haven't been growing up in a first world country. Everyone in the world at least knows iron man.

What exactly are "proper prog" and "legit prog"?

This is interesting and I haven't heard Iommi claiming that. Source?

It's pretty cool, or at least until I notice my tinnitus. After that it's like a decent into hell.

Because prog rock is pretentious shit.

People don't want that.

AHAHAHAHA SO RIGHT BRO SO FOOKIN ROIGHT

THOSE GODDAMNED NORMIES ARE A DETRIMENT TO SOCIETY MAN!!!!!!!!! HOW DARE THEY LIVE SUCCESSFUL LIVES WHEN TO COULD BE FAT AND DISGUSTING BASEMENT DORITOS WHO LIVE WITH THEIR PARENTS?????? LIKE, FUCKING NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PRAISE KEKEKEKE XDDDDDDDDDDO YOU WATCH RICK AND MORTY AND BROWSE REDDIT AND DO ALL THE FEDORA AND ALL THE THINGS THAT FEDORAS DO????? ME TOOOO!! #PEPEDIDNOTHING WRONG
I WATCH ALEX JONES BECAUSE HES SO FOOKIN REDPILLED BRAH! YEAH CHEMICALS IN THE WATER ARE TURNING THE FROGS GAY ITS TROO SOURCE? INFOWARS.COM

what do you listen to?

>superior
How so?

indie rock and art pop

>KC
>superior to PF

>Bojack Horseman

Pink Floys had pop sensible hits that ruled the radio waves. King Crimson didn't. Ask your parents. Floyd got played in bars.

Some rock bars still play it.

holy shit this dudes having a mental breakdown over someone saying normie on Sup Forums lol