Why is gold worth anything?

Why is gold worth anything?
Isn't it kinda useless?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_metal
tibtech.com/conductivity.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

its a great conductor and considered rare, despite it being everywhere.

Because it's shiny.

It's one of the best metals for making jewelry.

Supply vs demand.
There isn't much of it, so it cost a lot.
It also looks attractive which coupled with its rarity means that it is desirable for jewellery and other things of that nature.

As for uses, it's a good conductor and also does not corrode under normal circumstances. This makes it a very good for electronics, especially connectors that are exposed to the air.

it is a noble metal, it is one of the least reactive elements and it is the only noble metal with the distinct color

>considered rare, despite it being everywhere.
In terms of sheer volume of gold we really haven't mined much.

jews

Normies will give you other better stuff for it. It doesn't matter that weirdos think otherwise, as long as the vast majority of people think it's worth money, then it's worth money.

>Capitalism is alot more fragile than you think.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_metal

Everything considered "valuable" is given that association by man. It's why those stupid pieces of green paper have so much worth - because we say they do.

This is also why you should laugh at people who hoard gold. Especially if they do it for some kind of doomsday scenario.
No one will give a shit about gold if water and food are rare commodities.

Jewelry, industrial uses, rarity just to name three off the top of my head

Why is the Dollar worth anything? They can print those endlessly. Why is bitcoin worth anything?

Gold has had nearly consistent purchasing power for multiple millennia.

It's non-corroding and pussy-juice inducing.

It gets even funnier with electronic money.

I have £100 of imaginary money, that's worth 10 of these bits of paper with £10 written on them.

Why do I have it? Because the person I worked for said I did and the robot at the bank deleted the 1s and 0s from his account and put some 1s and 0s in my account for the same amount.

no, because our whole economy is built around it. and its far easier than doing trades.

get with the fucking program.

Trade will continue with some form of currency. You can't take two thousand goats to the reservoir and trade for water. You sell your goats for gold and take the gold to buy water.

Gold is a goat credit card.

Without electronic currency we couldn't sustain ourselves as a society so what's your point?

Only in actual civilisations.
It'd be useless directly after an apocalypse scenario, as would anything that didn't have immediate benefit.
Weapons, gasoline, water, food, electronic equipment, clothing etc is what would be desired and traded.

its shiny and looks pretty

Gold is a rare resource that is used to represent the buying power of a given currency (the USD is linked to the price of gold in the global market vs. the supply of gold bullion in the US).

And? It's further illustrating the point that things only have value because we say they do, you dumbasses.

Who has two thousand goats just ready for the apocalypse?

You seem to be assuming some society that has managed to find some stability, not in the direct aftermath.

I'm sure gold will eventually regain value within human society, but for a while it'll be mostly worthless as there will be greater priorities.

>greater priorities
Depends on your apocalypse. Unless we're talking dinosaur-killing asteroid, societal collapse is pretty slow. As society stands today, there will be some pretty impressive die-offs in large cities due to violence and riots, but out where people keep goats, it'll be a lot quieter. And plenty of room for raising goats.

You would not have computers or many electronics if it where not for gold. it is one of the best conductors and will not corrode. Most printed circuits are plated in it and most contacts are now plated in it.

No one has mentioned the annunaki yet? Come on. It's clearly because of the annunaki.

This is true; since the Egyptians first began mining gold until today, the entire global supply of gold would fit it about three Olympic-sized swimming pools, which doesn't seem like a lot when you're talking about thousands of years; over half of that, however, is estimated to have been mined since 1950 so take that as you will.

>Horde food supplies, water and guns and ammo.
>shit hits the fan
>trade a few meals for pounds of gold because food is worth more then gold
>trade small amounts of food and water and guns for piles of gold
>things start to get more stable
>BITCH IM RICH!!!!

That's because we have to give most of it to our annunaki over-lords.

Niggers, nothing and I mean nothing conducts electricity like gold does. Gold is very useful in machines that require hyper-accurate, hyper-fast electrical current.

The airbags in your cars that protect you Sup Forumsfags require gold electrical connections. Gold is used in aircraft, gold is used in some window defrosters in aircraft.

Gold is so much more than shekels cockfags.

No oxide, superb electrical conductor, high reliability contacts due to high tolerance to use. In origin was just because look shinny as fuck and never lost its shine properties but it is more than that. If u look to satelital artifacts they are cover in a fine layer of gold (shinny and yellow), that's gold, to avoid high cosmic radiation.

>You can't take two thousand goats to the reservoir and trade for water.
Fuck off it's the apocalypse, I'll trade what I want.

Silver is a much better conductor than gold, you fucking retard.

Silver, Gold, Platinum and Palladium aren't just rare metals but also used in high quality electronics, so unlike diamonds which are just carbon and can be manufactured the have real worth, atm Palladium is the most important industrial metal thus it's the most valuable and expensive.

Silver does not plate as easily as gold does. Gold readily plates to cheap lead, unlike silver which needs a much more expensive base metal.

> nothing conducts electricity like gold

wtf does that have to do with you being completely wrong?

the same reason men marry

because the girls are pretty

Herding 2000 goats just means you're bringing free goats to the biggest guy near the reservoir.

Gold isn't a great conductor, it just doesn't rusts or tarnishes, which ensures perfect connections every time, that's why most electronic connectors are gold plated. The more you know!

Despite what films show you, society collapsing doesn't just make things a free for all.
People naturally form bands and alliances. Especially when shit is otherwise fucked.
Even the guy with the water knows that stealing a bunch of goats he doesn't know how to raise and has way more meat than he needs is stupid.
He'd much rather trade water for enough goats for him and his band, plus get a herder who will return time after time. Or just incorporate the herder into his group.

Value is in the brain of those wanting something. Bitcoin, gold, Picasso’s, et al. It is the one commodity that has been desired since civilization began.

No. Gold has a near perfect conductivity index. Silver starts off great, but falls rapidly due to oxidation.

Easily isolated, so a good measured
Easily shaped
Decently conductive
Doesnt corrode easily
Anti bacterial/sterilizing properties

Silver is better than gold.
Copper is better than gold.

Silver and copper both corrode, but copper is usually put into air tight environments, like cables.

Silver is too expensive for that.

So, while silver is a better conductor, it's also the least useful.

However, saying that Gold is a better conductor is just wrong.

Not same poster so kiss off gay bird. I have a black blet and will kick your ass.

You are talking to /b, they have no intelligence and don't think in this way..

Gold is the chosen conductor.

If you wanna ask you definitely cannot replace all your teeth with cryptocoin, faggot.

Not since Nixon, homie.

The person he replied to was probably 15 because its a 15 year old thought.

Is it even wise to invest in those minerals anymore?

No, it’s meaningless like everything else.

Money has always been a fragile illusion.

True, but seemingly enough it's what we use as a tool for survival in this day and age....In modern society one can not truly live without the baggage associated with having to earn a $$$.

I wouldn't, personally.
It's not exactly a hugely growing industry, but unless big bad shit happens they'll always be worth something.

Of course, nobody knows the future, people usually make it big through shear luck or having their fingers in every pie.

Golds kinda useful for many things and it's hard to mine in sufficient quantities.

Diamonds however are widely available and are dirt cheap to mine, there is no reason they cost so much, it's all a big con and the diamond you spent so much on is worth allot less than what you paid for it, the depreciation on most diamonds is massive.

>thinks we are still on the gold standard

It makes great replacement teeth

Sure, if you want people to think one of your teeth is diseased when you speak.

Gold has a dull sheen to it actually.

pure silver has lower resistance per cross sectional area than gold, but gold still beats copper. But you're not wrong that its value is moreso due to its inertness than conductivity. The amount plated onto connectors is completely minuscule anyway so it wouldn't matter much if it DID have high resistance.

False

The gold standard that linked the price of gold to USD was phased out in the 1930s during the Great Depression.

Silver is a better conductor though gold does not tarnish.

Isn’t gold’s value kept artificially kept high by all the governments and institutions holding massive amounts of it like Debeers? What would it’s value be if all or most of it circulated?

>Why is gold worth anything?
Same question about diamonds

>but gold still beats copper.
It doesn't. Copper sits between Gold and Silver.

tibtech.com/conductivity.php

Gold is the least conductive of the three, it's its lack of corrosion that is its most useful property.

Back when the dollar was actually equivalent to gold stored in the vaults.

diamonds are hard at least its surely usefull in some way

Gold is actually rare though, all the worlds supply of it could fit in the base of the statue of liberty.

Gold has a historic place in the development of mankind. It's rarity, lustre, and malleability (and other things) have led many cultures to independently assign great value to it. It's a bit odd, but it's historic fact.

Diamonds, on the other hand, are just a big con devised by DeBeers and other cartels. It's bullshit. Diamonds should be cheap and widely used for practical and industrial purposes. Fuck DeBeers.

While funny, youre not wrong

I don't know this meme but it seems you're working pretty hard to make it a thing.

>useless

does not corrode and is one of the best metals to use in electronics because of how it handles heat.

One of the best metals for medical devices and since it does not corrode - it is great in teeth fillings

Very pliable - you can shape gold to basically fit anything.

I mean even when you remove the idea of it being a money - just the metal itself is pretty amazing.

Don’t reproduce OP

>Why is gold worth anything?
It's rare but mostly because we gave it value.

>Isn't it kinda useless?
Nope. Very useful in electronics.

nah man its crucial in making computer chips
we are gobbling them up like never before
gold is a finite resource
its value will only increase over time very smart investment

Got gold bottom back molars because they won’t break, wish I could have more but I’d look nig status so it’s ceramics