When Wendy is talking to the doctor about the time Jack broke Danny's arm, she says that this happened 5 months ago...

>When Wendy is talking to the doctor about the time Jack broke Danny's arm, she says that this happened 5 months ago. The timing of Jack's interview places this conversation between May and October, or within 6 months of the Overlook shutting down for the winter
>Later on, when Jack is talking to Lloyd, he claims that he broke Danny's arm "3 goddamn years ago"
What did Kubrick mean by this
Even the most generous time allowances still place a roughly 2 year long discrepancy within these two descriptions, and for an event that plays such a vital role in characterizing Jack and the Torrance family, it seems odd that no one would have caught this apparent gaffe

It's just another instance of Jack being an insane person. Also a way for him to distance himself from the incident and make him seem not so bad.

Maybe, being a lunatic, Jack is not very good with the tracking of time.

you mean they. =ate= each other up?

Why the fuck does she turn me on so much? She's so goofy looking.

Jack was lying

I don't think this was a continuity error, I think it was part of Jack's character. Abusers ALWAYS say stuff like this. He's trying to downplay his actions and make it seem like Wendy's blowing it out of proportion.

>she's so goofy looking

The resemblance is uncanny

It's alright, he saw it on the television.

you can say that he was drunk/crazy/misremembering/lying & trying to minimize, or it could just be another intentional inconsistency within the movie

wendy is a dumb cunt
it takes longer than 5 months for a broken bone to heal
danny would have still been in a cast

it was a dislocated shoulder

>5 months in a cast

Yeah, no

that's such a bullshit injury
my niece's shoulders pop out of joint if she hangs from the monkey bars too long
whenever I heard some pixie haired cunt talking about how he r ex husband abused the kids by popping out a shoulder, I know right away its bullshit

In the book he's frequently an unreliqble witness, events he recalls multiple times in the plot have contradictory elements and justifications for half described acts. By king writting standards it's the height of subtle character development.

>abusing kids is ok because women are liars
Come on user.

kids have weak shoulders
you shouldn't get mad at jack for popping danny's shoulder out of the socket when you could do it by pulling a sweater off of him too fast

jack didn't even hit danny
he pulled him off the floor

Jack please get off the computer and write your nook.

if i can't beat my retarded son in the process of writing my book whats the point?

>like Wendy's blowing it out of proportion
Maybe because women almost always do blow shit out of proportion.

It is a continuity error.

Yeah but if anything, Wendy would have been playing it down to not seem like a battered housewife to the doctor

Fuck why did I laugh at this

Good catch OP.

This is one of several continuity errors in the film, the overall intent and effect of which is to confuse us, and also to suggest that Jack is being "intoxicated" by the evil spirits of the hotel, being bewitched by them, forgetting himself, that type of thing. You can see a very clear early indication of this in your very own OP pic related. The hotel is talking to Jack, suggesting things to him.

This is also a good point, and the very fact that we can't exactly tell which (both? just one?) is the truth, is clearly part of the later point of the inconsistencies.

What I'd like to know is, what actually went on in ~1970 when the Gradys were in residence.

Actually it's a kindle

Everyone in the hotel is dead my man. Time don't mean shit to ghosts

She did play it down. Made excuses for him and talking like it was an accident. She's talking like it's no big deal but her hand is shaking when she lights her cigarette. I bet Jack's abuse was way worse than Wendy let on to the social worker

I smiled.

Made me kek

The Shining is FULL of intentional discrepancies (esp w/r/t the layout of the Overlook), and Kubrick plays with timing. He uses slow fades (a technique generally used to indicate the passage of long stretches of time) between scenes that take place immediately after one another.

It's like people aren't familiar with the concept of an unreliable narrator.

cf. discrepancies in the report of the length of time since Hamlet's father's death