Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7A7d8l_izEA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Television shows are getting better

Why are you lying?

You heard me

TV networks want to imitate the success of HBO shows like Sopranos or The Wire, so they are allowing more edgy content and giving creators more control over what they do with their shows. Movie studios are trying to recreate what is successful in their industry, which right now is superhero movies and Adam Sandler style comedies. Most good movies being made today are underfunded indie and/or foreign projects.

OP is probably under the impression shows like Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead is good television.

>movies are getting worse and worse
They're a step up from the 2000-2009 decade. Just like how the 90s were a huge leap forward from the 80s.

So basically you're a retard.

>newfags can't double greentext

I'm sure he's including Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and other shows from the 2000's. The idea that the cable drama is regularly surpassing the mainstream Hollywood film is a very common one. And it's what said. TV networks are willing to take risks on original ideas. Hollywood studios aren't.

Tell this well realized story in EXACTLY 90 MINUTES

GO.

DO IT

DO IT RIGHT NOW, GO

For most of its history TV was constrained by smaller budgets and tighter schedules than theatrical movies, and that's still true to an extent, but now the gap has narrowed because of economics and new technologies. Loosening of TV censorship because of cable, then pay cable, then streaming has also allowed for a wider variety of subject matter.

Meanwhile the enormous cost of producing and especially marketing & distributing movies theatrically has greatly limited what can be made in the market. The release window is also very small, movies now make the majority of their money in the first three weeks of release play for 3-6 months whereas they used to play for a year, and theyface tons of competition from other kinds of entertainment.

i would rather watch a 90 minute movie than whatever 6-hours-worth-of-story bullshit gets distended into a 10 episode season on netflix.

>>Movies are getting worse and worse
Yep
>>Television shows are getting better
I don't think so, it's just its novelty, when it wears off you don't want to even think about those shows ever again.

TV is a cesspool just because there are two good shows doesn't excuse Redneck Swamp Fishing

It yours and mine duty user to make better films. We have to be the film makers and save Kinotopia

Then you have a shit attention span and you're probably a stupid person.

People aren't going to the cinema anymore so the studios aren't going to risk making anything that isn't capeshit or remakes. At the same time on-demand streaming has made high quality TV shows more accessible to a wider audience.

>of HBO
>He thinks hbo shows are better

Pretty much this.

This also means that good films rarely make it out of the festival circuit.

I should add that everything I'm saying only applies to mainstream pablum, Game of Thrones and Walking Dead contrasted with whatever their studio tentpole equivalents are.

As an actual artistic medium movies still trump TV, no question. There's zero formalist daring or any kind of experimentation going on TV, it's all plot-driven, dialog-driven, etc. Very little of it is actually cinematic.

Regardless of whatever you think of movies like Tree of Life, Holy Motors, or Under the Skin,nothing like them is being attempted in TV, nor would any of those movies benefit being serialized stories.

I know right, real television kino was decades of touched by an angel, highlander, mash and startrek. Fuck HBO with their "good writing" and their "story structure".

>indie
>good
>foreign
>good

>There's zero formalist daring or any kind of experimentation going on TV, it's all plot-driven, dialog-driven, etc. Very little of it is actually cinematic.

This is the most pretentious shit I've ever read. Quality is determined by plot and dialogue. Not CGI and the summer blockbuster formula. Movies are shit right now and television is objectively better.

I'll make a better film with you, if you know what I mean.

Nigger, sopranos, wire, sfu, and deadwood are better than all Netflix shows

Only one man can save film now

>Regardless of whatever you think of movies like Tree of Life, Holy Motors, or Under the Skin,nothing like them is being attempted in TV, nor would any of those movies benefit being serialized stories.

Television has pretty deep pretentious shit too. True detective and the leftovers come to mind. Unlike what you've listed they were actually good though.

Based mel

>their "good writing" and their "story structure".
Only plebs think that game of thrones has good writing and structure.

Foreign cinema is better, tv right now is full of pleb shit

I don't even like Game of thrones but they still do. You're still taking the worst example of a show put out by HBO because of the game of thrones hatred meme here.

>Nigger, sopranos
Two or three above average tv shows don't make them better than a good movie.

Even foreign action flicks are better.

A handful of good TV shows that shit on every movie that's been made the past two decades? I think so.

Tv is only getting worse you fucking pleb, shows like game of thrones and walking dead are actually considered good tv nowadays. Hell people still think breaking bad is the best show ever, that alone tells how shitty tv has become

>This is the most pretentious shit I've ever read.

suck my dick

>Quality is determined by plot and dialogue.

no it isn't, this is as stupid as saying a good meal is determined by its caloric and riboflavin properties. you're talking about two elements of a much more complex thing. some movies actually have NO dialog and are still good!!!

>Not CGI and the summer blockbuster formula.

cool, is that just like a non-sequitur you're putting out there? because i didn't say or imply that. it kind of seems like you're putting words in my mouth like the dicks you put in yours

>Movies are shit right now and television is objectively better.

if this were the Stranger Things subreddit I would definitely uboat you :^)

Lack of creativity and the fact that any movie grossing under $100 billion dollars is considered a failure. Studio heads are scared.

>worst example of a show put out by HBO
What's good? Girls, I tried to watch that show and it triggered the fuck out of me, I'm starting to really hate tv shows.

>suck my dick

Suck mine fag

>no it isn't, this is as stupid as saying a good meal is determined by its caloric and riboflavin properties. you're talking about two elements of a much more complex thing. some movies actually have NO dialog and are still good!!!

If a movie is good, then it must have a good plot and dialogue. The two objectively most important parts of a story. If not then it's trash and your a pretentious hipster for liking movies or shows without dialogue.

>cool, is that just like a non-sequitur you're putting out there? because i didn't say or imply that. it kind of seems like you're putting words in my mouth like the dicks you put in yours

You didn't have to say that. That's all modern movies are. A cash grab of summer block busters or remakes with tons of CGI. Movies are shit now.

>if this were the Stranger Things subreddit I would definitely uboat you :^)

Never even saw that. I'm sorry you feel more comfortable on redddit, go there and get your upvotes faggot.

Because you NEETcucks torrent every movie that comes out so the studios don't make any money.

How are you too dumb to realize this?

But I torrent tv shows as well.

ah yes True Detective and all its... dialog and whodunit plot, just like the creation sequence in Tree of Life.

it seems like what you consider 'deep' or 'pretentious', to the extent that it's actually interchangeable to you even among things that have nothing in common, is a sort of recognizable thematic intent that you resent as "putting on airs."

True Detective, some pretentious bullshit just like a Goya painting.

>What's good?

Sopranos, the Wire, True detective, Six feet under, Carnival, Boardwalk empire, hell those 22 hours of Rome are better than every single movie made in the past 2 decades

>hell those 22 hours of Rome are better than every single movie made in the past 2 decades

if you think cinema is only made of romcoms and capeshit, sure. Otherwise it just seems you're proud of being ignorant.

Also deadwood, BoB, and generation kill

Subtle difference hipster, True detective was great and Tree of life was jumbled up 2 hour garbage that insisted upon itself like hipster pretentious trash. Of course you'd praise Tree of life top fucking kek. Pic related is you

Please, there is no artistic merit in any of those tv shows, while movies even bad ones will always have their existence acknowledged, tv shows will become a distant memory and will be remade or forgotten.
Are you really going to rewatch LOST, I don't think so little buddy but I can guarantee you that in the next 10 years you will rewatch Police Academy more than once.

I don't know, but I'm in the middle of writing a screenplay that will save the cinema.

>if you think cinema is only made of romcoms and capeshit, sure.

Not all of it, but most. It's all been garbage compared to television.

>Police acadamey

Moviefags are truly vile lowlives living in the past. I bet you think the new Ghostbusters is amazing too and bound to be a classic.

> good movie
> 2 hours of kino
> good tv show
> 10+ hours of kino per season

TD, Wire, and Sopranos are better than 99.999% of movies and will be remembered for a ridiculous amount of time.

Clearly you don't know what the art of telling a story is, you're like one of those hot housewives who only watch soaps.

>not winning a breakdancing competition to save the orphanage

pleb

>TRUE storytelling was done by Josh weedon in his marvel capeshit movies. Heh, kiddo. There is more to Film nowadays than you think.

>I bet you think the new Ghostbusters is amazing too and bound to be a classic.
What makes you say that, faggot? Are you just trying to hurt my feelings?

This

>Suck mine fag

u FRIST

>If a movie is good, then it must have a good plot and dialogue. The two objectively most important parts of a story. If not then it's trash and your a pretentious hipster for liking movies or shows without dialogue.

if you are sincere in arguing this thank you for letting me know you are a retard. is there no music for you outside of contemporary pop as well, like is anything outside of the arrangements you'd find in a taylor swift song immediately disqualified to you? i'm interested if you're internally consistent in your anti-intellectual approach?

btw it's a visual medium and lends itself to several different modes of storytelling

>You didn't have to say that. That's all modern movies are.

maybe if you just consume the lowest common denominator shit that is aggressively sold to you and put the blinders on for everything else, but you have already established that this is exactly what you do, and you have my pity.

>> 10+ hours of kino per season
Made by plebs, cum to me when you learn what art is.

>>Police Academy
It's like you you want everyone to know how shit your taste is

>storytelling was done by Josh weedon
Ah the ultimate insult, Joss shouldn't be allowed to make movies, his talents are better suited for that juvenile garbage that you like so much like Floarfag and bufy.

no i didn't say anything about the quality of either, that's not what i was arguing at all, in fact i prefaced all this shit with Regardless of whatever you think of movies like..."

your reframe is pathetic

>Implying you haven't watch Police Academy more than once

You keep harping on about story telling, but that entirely depends on the director not the TYPE of kino, be it a film or a tv show.

That said, with a tv show, you're allowed to tell a much more concise and detailed story, than with a movie, because you simply have much more time.

Not to mention that if you like something, you'd obviously want to watch it more and tv shows are good on that too, having much better replayability.

>If a movie is good, then it must have a good plot and dialogue. The two objectively most important parts of a story. If not then it's trash and your a pretentious hipster for liking movies or shows without dialogue.
>Movies that don't fit my specific preference are trash for pretentious hipster
>Stop liking what I don't like
This is what you're saying. Do you realize you're retarded yet?

>Why yes, I am willing to watch a Film where the premise has an awful story and really bad dialogue because it's HOW IT LOOKS that's important

Micheal bay pls go

Well if a film can tell a compelling story through stunning visuals and a non linear narrative it's usually quite impressive

no.

Literally not what either of them said

How many "shieeets" would The Wire have if it was a movie? I'd wager not enough.

youtube.com/watch?v=7A7d8l_izEA

That's sure is a nice meme answer for a cop out about how much you love the Transformers.

It literally is

>>four times
But just because I watched a movie multiple times and enjoyed doesn't mean I can't acknowledge the shit

I don't agree, a good story teller is able to tell a story in less time, tv shows always have filler, and they always lack the artistic expression of a director because unlike film, tv shows only follow the writing and that makes it artistically poor and sterile.

It literally isn't. Have you run out of things to say?

>I am willing to watch a Film where the premise has an awful story and really bad dialogue because it's HOW IT LOOKS that's important

You think Star Wars is a cultural landmark because of its story?

Do you actually think capeshit makes millions because of the audience awaiting the storytelling and characterization? Universally acclaimed films such as Vertigo, Lawrence of Arabia and Citizen Kane, are they remembered because of the 'essential' plot and dialogue?

>Sopranos
Sopranos is a show for people without any taste who like to pretend they have a modicum of it.

A bit like Wes Anderson fans, but even more delusional.

All these post's about how tv is better then movies when not one show has surpassed the kino known as Space Jam

Is that what you tell yourself?

Which is the studios fault for pushing for more 3D gimmick bullshit and keeping prices inflated as hell meanwhile taking nearly all ticket sales leaving the theaters to charge an arm and leg for popcorn.

I might see one movie a year when 10 years ago I'd see up to 5. Hollywood is killing itself. They can tout millions upon millions of dollars in sales but when it cost you nearly that much just to make the movie you've fucked up somewhere in accounting.

>Dude I get attached to the characters due to exposure that means its good lmao

Movies have a more direction and focus that television shows

Economics. Different business models. Word of mouth is very important for the success of a television series, so it helps a lot if it's actually GOOD. They'll usually make a small investment in the first season, and gradually increase the budget for the series as it becomes more popular. Audiences will tune in for quality writing/acting, and they will tune out if that quality drops.

Movies don't really have time for word-of-mouth, because they're trying to make ALL their money within a few short weeks of theatrical screenings. The quality of the movie itself is pretty much irrelevant. Marketing is all that matters. They don't really WANT something complex and nuanced, because it's pretty tough to sell that. They want something that can make its point in a 1-minute teaser. They want something with a pre-existing, built-in audience that can be tracked, counted and analyzed before they even spend any money on the movie.