Hi guys, I've been using Sup Forums basically every day for 10 years now, and I've been doing some thinking...

Hi guys, I've been using Sup Forums basically every day for 10 years now, and I've been doing some thinking. Why do we come here? This applies to most boards honestly. Why do you post? What's there to gain? Hear me out: when you're listening to music, it's just you in that room. No one else is informing the sounds going into your ears, you either like the sounds or not. When we like/dislike the sounds sometimes we come here to tell people about it. And that kind of makes sense, because someone (rarely) someone will point you in the direction of similar sounds.

Basically I wanna know why we feel compelled to talk about music. In 10 years, not one post was able to change how I felt about an album/artist, and I'm certain none of my posts have convinced anyone either. It's all too subjective and personal to even try to debate about, so what's there to even discuss? What do you personally get out of Sup Forums?

Sup Forums is basically a shitty clique, it Appel's to social retards that can't even realize they're part of a hivemind clique

>discussing music is pointless
I agree that Sup Forums is shit but your reasoning is terrible
you can apply that logic to any topic of discussion

People are social animals. Socializing improves one's health. People naturally want to socialize. Anonymous image boards are one of the lowest commitment and most immediate (if most shallow) forms of socializing, which is probably why we come here without much regard for the quality of the threads. Escapism and habit play a role too. I mean, habit plays a HUGE role, we wouldn't be here if we enjoyed it as little when we first got here as we do today. So, a combination of reasons, but probably nothing profound.

>What do you personally get out of Sup Forums?
it helps me feel less lonely

It's a sense of community. As a person who loves music and devotes a lot of time to finding the things you like you build a deeper connection to what your listening to than the average person, and because your knowledge on the subject is so much larger than other people's it's hard to talk to other people about music irl. This board may just be full of shitty memes, but they're being made by people who clearly enjoy and are passionate about music so it feels good to realize you're not alone in your obsession even if very little actually productive discussion comes out of any of it

>you can apply that logic to any topic of discussion
Not exactly. Not all subjects in the world are as deeply personal and subjective as music. For example I also post on Sup Forums, which makes more sense to me, because we talk about things that have yet to happen, like an upcoming game and make predictions. What is the equivalent on Sup Forums? If dubs, Brian Wilson dies? We're just going in circles about things that have been out for years most of the time.

Also,
But I would assume that's the case for the minority of Sup Forumstants

>If dubs, Brian Wilson dies?
>66
lord

I come here for rec's, /bleep/, new music, and stupid threads

>I come here for rec's, /bleep/, new music
I'm sorry

Sup Forums made more sense years ago when sharethreads were an integral part of the catalog. Less sense these days

>What is the equivalent on Sup Forums?
there doesn't need any equivalent because sports and music as forms of entertainment aren't comparable at all
and even if your comparision made sense, tons of music come out every day, and that doesn't stop any discussion about older stuff
you can very well make the case that Sup Forums is shit but saying that discussing music is pointless is just retarded

At least I have stupid threads

>you can very well make the case that Sup Forums is shit but saying that discussing music is pointless is just retarded
Go on then, tell me what we get out of discussing music. Outside of getting recommended things, which like I said is rare because 7 times out of 10 the person calls you a pleb and tells you to fuck off, and the other 3 times out of 10 someone agrees and says they like it too. Wow an anonymous person also likes this album I like, now what? I'm serious, what benefit is there to talking about a totally solitary activity ? I think if we weren't able to simultaneously listen to music and browse Sup Forums we wouldn't be here.

I quite like posting my own music to Sup Forums as you can't get an honest evaluation with your friends. If it's fucking awful you'll very quickly hear about it - recently mine hasn't been awful, apparently.

are you just ignoring my point? all of your complaints are related to Sup Forums.
get out of your basement some time. try discussing music with real people.

Are you being willfully stupid? My OP and entire point is about the existence of the Sup Forums board Sup Forums. Obviously talking to people in really life has plenty of benefits but that doesn't apply to us right now because we're in the fucking internet. Anything else I should clear up for you?

congrats, hope it keeps getting even better

>My OP and entire point is about the existence of the Sup Forums board Sup Forums.
>when you're listening to music, it's just you in that room. No one else is informing the sounds going into your ears, you either like the sounds or not
you're very clearly making a point relating to music discussion as a whole and I'm saying you're retarded for doing so

>you're very clearly making a point relating to music discussion as a whole and I'm saying you're retarded for doing so
I'm not. If you think I am, take everything I've written, and apply it strictly to a sense about Sup Forums, because that's what I've meant. Now that we're straight, can you tell me why I am retarded and why music discussion here is so important for you? I'm not trying to be an asshole I'm genuinely asking. I've been here for 10 years man obviously I like discussing music here I want to know what makes us tick

>Now that we're straight, can you tell me why I am retarded and why music discussion here is so important for you?
Every single post I made was talking about music discussion as a whole and I even agreed with you that Sup Forums is shit. Of course, now that you chose to ignore the context behind my entire point, this discussion is pointless.

No you're being very obtuse but I'm in a good mood so I'll keep trying. Now you say Sup Forums is shit, and I'll just say sure I agree. But here we are, in a place we admit is shit, and therefore wasting our time, day after day. Why? Why do we do this? We can be doing ANYTHING on the internet or real life while we listen to music, why do we do THIS. Is it as simple as it's convenient ?

it's fun

I don't know anybody who has similar taste, so this is really the only place I can discuss (and shitpost) about music.

I like when older people post in threads and tell stories about music, and like which bands were big and what records they owned and what not. Love that stuff. Means more to me than wiki articles.