Dear older anons. How did you order and find your cool music in the mid 90s...

Dear older anons. How did you order and find your cool music in the mid 90s? We're there any mail order magazines of note?

More specifically if possible to answer would people in 1995 in the United States be aware of black metal or have access to ANY of that stuff?

tape trading. my older brother would call up distributors and ask for catalogs.

Do you know what the distributers for more extreme music were at the times?

>More specifically if possible to answer would people in 1995 in the United States be aware of black metal or have access to ANY of that stuff?
Nope, there was literally no black metal until music piracy over the internet was invented.

Fucking seriously?

travel to a big city with niche music shops to buy tapes.....copy the tapes and exchange them for other albums.
stay up till the early hours of the morning to listen to and record niche music show on the radio.Make compilation albums of songs i liked from these radio programmes and try to hunt down the albums/ep's.

some shops would put out catalogues, but by the time you got hold of them they were weeks old and the tapes you wanted to buy were out of stock

You should have read the wiki for 1990s instead of 1980s. Tapes were deader than disco by 1995. Subscription CD services like BMG and usenet trading was how you got your music in the mid '90s.

You're pretending to be retarded I take it? Well...

Pic related, this was a nationally distributed magazine. I bought my copy at a Big B drug store in Podunk, All.

I used to order out of Burning Airlines catalog (they just sell band shirts online nowadays)

Good big record stores. If they didn't have it they could order it. I paid for a lot of shit over the years too.

Recs from magazines like Guitar or Keyboard.

And that one guy in college who had all the good shit. Luckily he was my roommate for awhile.

And Spin. Spin had a kickass alternative section when they first started. How I discovered Chris & Cosey and Cabaret Voltaire.
Oh and 120 Minutes on MTV. At one time MTV actually played music.

I listened to mainly rap music in the 90. I read the Source religiously. I can't even accurately describe how huge the Source was for finding new music , and how influential it was for rap music in general. There are albums that are considered classics today that I don't think would be if they wouldn't have gotten positive reviews from the Source. Other rap mags of varying quality came and went but none of them touched the Source's level of quality.

Nope. I was like seven and there isn't exactly a Wikipedia page for how did people find music in the mid 90's.

Nah, Spin sucked dick but it was as good as you were go into get at a Wal-Mart in Jacksonville, Fl. There were a ton of similar rags on the newsstands back then: Ray Gun, CMJ New Music Monthly, URB, etc.

Ain't nothin' changed in music with the internet except the influx of endless retards and the general devaluation of music as legitimate art.

>magazines
>college radio
>record stores (even national chains had respectable inventory most of the time)

I bought Loveless the week it came out at a Peppermints Music in Albany, Ga in. Same thing with Maxinquaye except it was at a place called Vinyl Fever in Tallahassee.

In 1995 I was 17. I grew up in New York City, so I knew about black metal from going to record stores like Kim's Underground and Generation Records and seeing the covers and talking to the clerks.
There was also a reasonable selection of black metal at Tower Records on 4th street.
I remember there was a radio station that played some black metal at night. I think it was WSOU from New Jersey.
Another way you could find out about it was through zines. Barnes and Noble and Borders books, both national chains, sold a wide variety of zines.
There was a magazine called Factsheet Five, which was a catalog of zines. You could read through it, find zines that discussed metal, and order them.
I would also read the reviews in non-music magazines like Mondo2000 (where I discovered Einsturzende Neubauten) and Wired (where I discovered the Boredoms).
I wish I could be more helpful. I've never been a big black metal fan, and the only metal I was listening to around 1995 was industrial metal and bands like Dead Horse and Vio-Lence.

Tried NuclearWarNow and places like that? They have old threads about all this kind of Black Metal stuff.

You have no idea how helpful this has been. If you would be willing to answer more direct questions can you email me at [email protected] ? I am low key researching something specific.

Checking!

>taking out your reddit spacing

That is one of the coolest sentences of all time.

Ok, asshole. My point was I had a direct line to decent shit (when it was shit hot new) because I cared about trying to find decent shit even though I lived in the middle of fucking nowhere. If you lived in a metropolitan area pre-internet you were 100% golden if music was your thing.

I just mailed you, and I'll do my best to answer the questions.