As a music producer, is it important to know music theory? How about a listener?

As a music producer, is it important to know music theory? How about a listener?

It's important for playing at wedding shows lmao

But it's the only way to make money as a musician xD

joe meek didn't know music theory
enough said

Good gag guys

Joe Meek knew music theory. Whether he was taught it formally or not is a different thing

I would say knowledge of theory is a good skill for a producer to have, definitely more so than for a listener.

For producing it can be really useful if you're looking to go for more complex chord structures and stuff like that. But there's a lot of producers who've made it without a background in theory.

For a listener it can definitely enhance the listening experience especially if the artist uses really complex chord progressions, I wouldn't say it's essential though. Might just make you appreciate the artistry a bit more.

this nigga the vsauce of music, I dont understand half his videos

you literally don't need music theory at all
just noodle around until something sounds good
play some chords over them, if it sounds good roll with it
music theory is a meme

he does talk a lot about useless but rather interesting topics. go to musictheory.net if you'd like to learn

and then thats your opinion. You can go about like this just fine but not literally. music theory definitely helps and can actually make your music more interesting. It's basically looking at what people have found interesting for the past centuries and practicing it until its intuitive and expressing yourself through it. I think its a beautiful.

bait

Please stop shilling this guy

He's a good man.

his videos are good

Knowing music theory makes the process way quicker. Anyone can noodle on a piano the whole day and make a shitty little song, but knowing even the basics of theory will make your music much better.

Music theory widens your horizon in an unbeleivable way. I recommend at least knowing the basic theory behind your favourite genre for listeners and the kind of music you're making for producers.

yeah, he deserves better than becoming a Sup Forumsme

school of life but with music

You'll be using music theory anyhow, music theory is descriptive, not prescriptive. Playing Mary Had A Little Lamb will have music theory involved anyhow. If you learn music theory, you're not learning the "rules" of music, you're giving names to things that already exist; theoretically you can connect all sort of weird chords if they make sense to you, if they sound good - see: The Beatles, even in their Merseybeat years. You'll always be using music theory, why not learn how to name stuff?

Most important is be truly yourself and make music you enjoi. Only posers make music what other people want to listen. Though music theory helps you make chord progressions, it don't make your music sound original. Original music is interesting and theory based is boring.

Is it just me or does this guy constantly looks sickly and gross?
Really fucking off-putting, can't watch his videos

Original and theory based can be related, since you'll be using them anyhow. If you play two notes it's theory in practice, since it's descriptive and not prescriptive.

Everyone knows theory in one way or the other, the difference is that some people can put it into words and some can't.

>enjoi

manlet with droopy eyes, what did you expect?

It's like a coloring book. If you have no outlines to fill, then you're just randomly coloring all over the place, creating trash.
If you have outlines, you can either fill them with your own colors to create something new, yet within the boundaries of what looks good aesthetically - and when you go outside the lines for artistic purposes, it'll carry much more weight as you've already established that you're able to fill them out without going over them.
Crossing the line is only interesting when there's a line to cross. Fuck post modernism.

I love the way you describe it. You have to know the rules to break them.

no you don't, that's ridiculous
how many burglars are lawyers?

How many burglars are upstanding citizens by day?

what's that got to do with anything?

everything.

mate you are so far off the mark its actually funny. you will never be able to understand the complex relationship between notes and chords if you dont understand the theory behind it. its like saying you know the words taco and burrito so you dont need to speak spanish.

I think he meant that to do something that theoretically "doesn't fit" music theory and have it mean something you have to understand music theory. You can develop an astute knowledge of theory and lack the technical names for it because it's really just naming stuff that already exists.

But yeah, music theory helps a shitload, it's a great shortcut towards understanding music and being able to do whatever you want with it.

When you speak is it all in a monotone?

i mean sure, if you want to make something that is interesting from a theoretical perspective then some knowledge of the expectations of a theoretically-oriented audience is useful

but at the same time, meh