Does anybody know why this album got so much hate when it first came out? Also anything weezer

Does anybody know why this album got so much hate when it first came out? Also anything weezer

It was just so different. Blue and Pinkerton is the musical equivalent of you vs. the guy she told you not to worry about.

whats funny is now they get hate for their sucky music. just never ends for that band

Because it's not good

I never really understood it ethier, alot of people said it was too personal and even Rivers said he hated the album which is funny because i consider tired of sex to be one of the best song he wrote

Ahhhhh Pinkerton the most confusing album for people apparently

A lot of people said it sounded fine (not great, but fine) and that the lyrics were overly creepy and that not many people cared at all for them.
He hated the album because he told everyone some of his most personal secrets and people pretty much told him that they were laughable. Pretty sad honestly.

I love both pinkerton and blue, though i suppose i can see how their differences could make people feel off about pinkerton. Weezer is a strange band in terms of what their sound does and it can be very hit or miss, but there is no doubt pinkerton is a solid hit in my mind.

It's about a weirdoooo (still good though)

Because rivers is a whiny misogynist who wants a world where lesbians have pink triangles on their sleeves for his selfish tiny cock and Japanese girls are his mere objects.
some of the music is okay and might be fun to learn or play along to, but in spirit and heart it's a pretty bad album for anyone (including rivers himself), especially an underage boy, who might already have mommy issues and find himself projecting it onto every girl he knows.

Critics hated the embarrassing lyrics

90's: critics hate pinkerton because the lyrics are too raw and personal
2000's: general public warms up to pinkerton
2010's: feminists hate pinkerton because muhsoggyknee
2020's: ????

Epic post, just like your trash music sense. Pretty sure Pinkerton has been consistently lambasted since it came out.

the reception of Pacific Daydream overtime will be exactly like pinkerton

bc SJW's. its always sjw's. Even if they didnt have that label back then.

more like Green ablum.
you must be joking dude.

Did you miss the entire closing track where he acknowledged the misogyny and apologized for being a selfish prick?

Hell no. It's basically a more tolerable version of Raditude. The albums that needs to be realized in many years is Maladroit and Make Believe.

Maladroit IMO is the best the album they've ever put out. It's mostly what everyone wants them to do ( a more traditional rock album , this one was a lil harder sounding) and for some reason everyone is obsessed with the canceled SFTBH that it was initially even though the difference is like 5 songs or some shit , they'll prob throw it on deluxe whenever they get to it. Otherwise it's almost the same thing just devoid of a concept album.

Make Believe is about them getting off of Geffen and half of the album is the depression that Rivers hasn't channeled into in fucking years and some of those songs are great. Hold Me and Haunt you Every Day are fantastic songs that need to be brought up a lil more.

Make Believe is their worst album, and This is Such a Pity is the only song that isn't trash on it.

I feel like none of you were even alive back then.

the idea for maladroit was nice but they didn't pull it off cuz bad songwriting

Didn't sound like blue so it was not liked as much. It wasn't hated as much as critics say it was tho.

listen to haunt you everyday, it's like a gem buried under a pile of thrash( Woah-ohs and Gimme gimme) also one of the best weezer solos besides Only In Dreams

I agree with your assessment of Makeb Believe. Tbh I’m surprised that album gets so much hate - yes the lyrics are shitty (no change there) but track-for-track it’s better than anything they’ve done in the last decade.

Perfect Situation is a great single, This Is Such A Pity is an excellent Cars rip-off and Haunt You Everyday definitely taps into a darker side that Rivers doesn’t touch nowadays.

I think a lot of people just remember Beverly Hills and dismiss the whole record based on that

user here who was actually a teen in the 90s and bought this album when it came out.

There wasn't really the backlash people make out there was. Teens still loved Weezer, both Blue album and Pinkerton. Most teens still know "El Scortcho" and maybe "Pink Triangle" and thought they were great, funny songs. The problem was that the album didn't get as much exposure as it should have, compared to The Blue Album. When Pinkerton came out, media was still pushing the old singles from Blue over and over, and maybe "El Scortcho". So obviously in a world were you couldn't just simply download an entire album or listen on youtube, you might have had to choose between which album you got, and because Blue was still being promoted over Pinkerton, they picked Blue, the one with the most songs they knew on it. for the people who already had the Blue album, if those old songs are being promoted over the new album, Pinkerton will get lost in the shuffle. That's more or less what happened with Pinkerton. You could flip on MTV in 1996/1997, and it's a surety you would see "Sweater Song", "Say It Ain't So" and especially "Buddy Holly" over and over again. The songs from Pinkerton, not so much.

Not sure why this is. May have been some Geffin exec didn't like Pinkerton and decided not to push it, effectively killing it's chances for success. We know Rivers obsessively tried to please the label when writing the Green Album, maybe it was a hard lesson learned from this? Not sure. But you can see this pattern happen a lot in the mid 90s, where a band has a blockbuster debut but the sophomore album just simply isn't pushed enough, and it is deemed a failure

I always preferred blue over pinkerton but then I went through college and out of the sudden I could relate to at least half of the songs from pinkerton. I like them equally now

>go to a bar just to drop in and take a piss
>Weezer is playing
>walk out of bar with dick in hand

Anyone wanna come see them with me in London tomorrow? My friend cancelled on me so I have a spare ticket lmao

t. Over-dramatic retard

>perverts not liking Weezer
Surprise surprise

>misogynist
>Not a virtue
Fuck off you cuckold, go play the SJW somewhere else, we don't have women here.

There were also legal troubles with the name Pinkerton. I believe it was a security company that had the same name and there might've been a lawsuit.

You may as well do that because you're listening to Weezer, lol.

Hey, watch me slide my middle finger across the 3 bass strings while mewling about asians. He's like Woody Allen without any of the intellect or humor.

You ran out of arguments, didn't you?

I know what you mean, Pinkerton has been growing rapidly on me recently.

I would m8 but I'm across the pond

Touchy!

Was the whole story real? Was there any japanese fan?

Yeah you're right dude

Pardon me is amazing

You should honestly kill yourself you subhuman.

High five bro pitchfork is my favorite too you sure showed him with that number there

Guaranteed replies, including this one.

Anyone who actually thinks or says this doesn't deserve oxygen.

>Pretty sure Pinkerton has been consistently lambasted since it came out
>No it hasn't
>hurr durr pitchfork doesn't count
Way to move the goalposts user

(You)
But as a serious thought in response to this, why can’t people appreciate male deviance in the same way female deviance can be appreciated? Just because males are “privileged” doesn’t mean that their experience is any less creatively vivid, and either way Rivers is a total beta (and not the Sup Forums type) so it’s not like he’s representative of the problems that traditional masculinity causes in the eyes of people that don’t like Pinkerton because of this stuff.

Female deviance is appreciated? Where?
No one generally likes listening to perverted thoughts unless the context is sexual in the first place.

EWBAITE restarted the Weezer "timeline" so let's equate it with Blue
Then,
White = Pinkerton
PD = Green
"Black Album" = Maladroit

What the fuck would a modern Maladroit sound like?

The new St Vincent album for example, that’s an equivalent. It isn’t talking about perverted thoughts but then again talking about perverted thoughts isn’t an expression of female deviance like it is with males. With males the deviance might be displaced more openly since it’s more acceptable to speak about it but with females it can be displaced by being provocative and open sexual expression, since this is acceptable (it would be less acceptable for a woman to openly speak of sexual deviance than it would for a man).

>why can’t people appreciate male deviance in the same way female deviance can be appreciated?
Poor men, since the dawn they have been despised and hated for their deviances, unlike women.

Thoughts?

>then again talking about perverted thoughts isn’t an expression of female deviance like it is with males
Do you assume all the bullshit you write to be inherent in humans?

Shut up, we’re talking about a fucking album not real life. It doesn’t make sense to write off a creative work for being androcentric when you gush over an equally good album with a female perspective.

I was actually really surprised how good the back half of the album was. I hated Feels Like Summer and Beach Boys and was lukewarm on Mexican Fender and Weekend Woman when they came out. Hearing those tracks in the context of the album, I think Fender is the best of those

But once QB Blitz hits, the album shines for me. It's pretty solid after that and I think it averages out the album to a 5/10.

I agree with you on the second half of the album. I felt vibes from Make Believe and the entire album feels like a mix of Make Believe and White. It's nice and I like it. I do dislike Feels Like Summer and Beach Boys though. But Mexican Fender and Weekend Woman did give me some optimism for the album's release and I am satisfied with the final product, and I'm excited for when Black gets released.