Are movies good predictors of the future?

Are movies good predictors of the future?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P1ULjJ3EqyY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>october 22 2015
>today is november 2 2016

i don't think so bub

Yes, blacked predicted how your mom would end up tonight.

>Queen Diana

lmao

>of reporters

I see cickbait headlines were already a thing

Yes, newspapers and queen diana,

Yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=P1ULjJ3EqyY

>queen diana
>madam president
>printed press

kek. no.

...in the future.

>...in the future.

>queen diana

>Queen Diana
>Tokyo stocks up
Pretty much what I would expect from predictions made in the 80s.

>the future was one year ago

Not really. Eventually the Cubs would win. Eventually we'll have a female president even if Hillary loses.

Certain things are guaranteed to happen over a long enough timeline.

>3 billion readers

wtf did aliens invade

>thumb bandits amputating and stealing thumbs of hospital patients

lolwut

Test

it's not shown, but in the BTTF timeline the US annexes China and India in 2012 and replaces all of their toilet paper with copies of USA Today

Pretty damn close, although that's like given Nostradamus credit for Himler

>Brought to you by Telu fax satellite
They were so close

are there any good modern scifi movies that we can look back on in 20 years and laugh at how far off they were? Most don't even try to depict possible changes in culture and everyday technology unfortunately.

The best I can think of is the Fifth Element with its tiny automated apartments, increasingly annoying pop celebrities, and cigarettes that are 90% filters. also stylish headwear

>October 2015
Wait a tick, that's the same time that the magic fbi foia twitter machine mysteriously "broke". I mean until yesterday.

Literally all of the news outlets have completely avoided any BttF references because all of that shit was last year and none of it was true.

Nobody cares when you predict stuff and you're wrong. Might as well post people talking about the cubs are definitely going to win next year from 1995

>Queen Diana
kek'd more than I should have

also
>3 billion readers
they were a bit optimistic, weren't they?

Fifth element is supposed to be 2250s but I'd say were already approaching quite a bit of it

yeah, it's not a great example but like I said, nothing else made recently is springing to mind

everything in the future is either post-apocalyptic so there's no fun new consumer gadgets and daily news shit, or it just avoids focusing on everyday things

Robocop. Robotech

Literally any sci-fi movie from the 70s that wasn't Star Trek or Star Wars

Correct predictions by Robocop: TV is terrible, Detroid is a hellhole, ???

>India
>Toilet paper

Private security companies replacing police

Even if she didn't die, she wouldn't have been queen. Idiots

right, but I mean modern ones predicting things in the near future.
We've already seen so much of what the 50's thought the future would be (robot maids, flying cars, nuclear everything) and what the 70's and 80's thought it would be (little lights fucking everywhere, sterile white rooms, Japan dominating the world economy, complete consumer obsession with television).

I'm curious about movies from the early 2000's predicting the near future based on the social trends of their times. I guess...Looper maybe has a bit?

Good point, but why did you assume we didn't know that?

The cubs won the series in 2016 and it sure as hell was not a sweep on game 5, it ended in the 10th inning on game 7 with the score 8-7

yeah but they were only off by a year.

Er, yes she would have. She was married to the heir to the throne

It's not the real future because when they left 1985, the time vehicle took them into a future calculated only from probabilities up until 1985. Or to put it another way, the time vehicle hasn't been to 1986-2014 yet. That's why everything in the future looks like a joke (MJF as his son and daughter, Griff is Biff, no Japanese asset price bubble). Also, when Marty and Doc return to 1985 as people who have been to this "future", it will change the future.

>Slamball never became a major popular sport

GOODBYE ENGLAND'S ROSE