Why can't America get the metric system?

Why can't America get the metric system?

What is wrong with you faggots?

American here, we're never taught the metric system in our school system, it's always imperial. If we want to learn metrics we had to study it outside of school to learn it. Which some do, others do not. It just depends on the person.

but how come every other civilized country has done it?

Coverting to the metric system has been attempted a few times only to be shot down. And even if it was successful converting all the signs to metric would take quite a bit of time and money and of course the American public would most likely still use the imperial system anyways as a choice of measurement. So we are stuck with our fucked up measurement system hope that helps.

because fuck you

science clases teach u metric
otehr wise its imperial all the way
idk why it really matters. msot americans don't go outside the country
just view it as a quirky lil american thang and dont get so fuckin hung up about it op

What the fuck are you on about? That is taught in elementary schools. And science classes exclusively uses metric system.

Why can't yuropoors stop obsessing about the US?

What is wrong with you faggots?

iff you say its 100 degrees to an american the be say something on the terms of "whoah really, thats pretty hot." but if you say that to a non american there gonna think that hell is taking over, point is we know 0 is cold as fuck and 100 is hot as fuck

They stopped teaching it 10 years ago because of Obama. I never learnt it in sckool

Amuricans are too dumb to see why it's the superior system

What about science classes though? In science you are supposed to to use the metric system so you have had to learn at least some of it at some point.

Nice 00

>day month year
Do you go minute:hour as well?

No, we go hour:minute:seconds which is also logical because it's from the biggest to the smallest. What doesn't make sense is medium-smallest-biggest. Stop trying to defend your shitty system and if you do because MUH FREEDOM TO DIE FROM A GUNSHOT at least try to use more than one brain cell.

Using it means jack shit as far as knowing it. I can tell you all the unit prefixes, but other than that it's just a base 10 number system. The units have no meaning to me because I'd have to convert it into a unit I'm used to understanding.

We are taught metric and imperial
Metric is superior no doubt as both is arbitrary one just makes more sense for how our brains work. Switching would take to much time+money. Think about every car in the US now, every speed sign. Instead of mph it would be km/h.

Under President Gerald Ford in the 70's, the initiative was started to convert the United States to the metric system. Old farts like me can still remember seeing the odd street sign in km/h and some Sesame Street episodes where they talked about it.

Because the program was never officially ended, the U.S. is still technically in transition from Imperial to Metric units.

American here... Yes, science classes use exclusively metric system but for everyday life, Imperial is simpler and more practical. For example, feet is a perfect medium between inches and yards. For metric, the closest thing you have is decimeters which sounds a bit awkward. Also, for fluids Imperial seems more practical because quarts and liters are similar but you have gallons in imperial.
Honestly, this is all making perfect sense in my head, but its hard to explain ya know, so either way fuck you we've been to the moon, how's that

At least we have freedom.

The US adopted the metric system by Congressional decree in 1959.
You'd think they'd have learned by now. But, no, they's soooo fuckin dumb!

Likewise amerifat, if i have to understand your uncivilised inches and shit i need to convert them to metric so i can wrap my head around your peoples autism

Even the jazz trumpeter changed his name to 1.6km Davis.

To add on to his point, not only cars and speed signs but everything from scales to measuring cups and everything that incorporates the imperial system in some way. Not to mention the massive pushback from the American public due to being so accustomed to the imperial system.

kek
most of this board probably has no idea what you're talking about

>Americans are dumb!
>Importing the third world into our culture is awesome!
The absolute state of modern Europe

>but for everyday life, Imperial is simpler and more practical

i would like to learn it, i just want an easy way to convert units in my head i understand a meter is approxiametly 3 times and for fahrenheit to celsius multiply by 2 and add 30

Please explain why I am not free being european. Are you free to go to literally any european country and just start living there as if you had citizenship? I am. Are you free to go to the hospital and get any treatment, even for cancer, regardless of how wealthy you are? I am.

Most of this board doesn't understand what they themselves are talking about.

Why can't the entire world switch to the clearly superior language of Esperanto? Once y'all have done that, we'll get right on the conversion to metric.

We got to the moon by measuring the trajectory using metric system. Just admit it our unit of measurement sucks.

I usually work in millimeter inches

>Imperial measurements
>imported from the British Empire

At least I don't buy my petrol by the litre.

I'm free to go to any state and just start living there. Europoors have countries so small that they're equivalent to a US state.

MuriKKKan freedom is freedom to eat burgers. Good freedom! Only freedom worth killing people for!

MuriKKKa is Dumbfuckistan.

Holland and Belgium don't have a bunch of Mexicans on the other side to worry about. If they did, they'd build their own wall.

Big Macs are the best. Made in pounds, not liters. YUM!

You must be posting from Kissinkuzzins County, Kentucky.

The US is lucky to have mexicans, if they didn't they would have no one to blame for their own problems.

>British Empire
>Empire
Key word dumbass, that was when Europeans actually had a set. I clearly stated modern Europe.

The absolute state of modern European reading comprehension

Last time I checked your countries are full of shitty Murikkkan fast food chains too.

What are you talking about? We still have plenty of niggers.

Must not have heard what you said, our freedom's been screeching too loudly.

Greek border wall... oh wait...

Well you can still get away with talking about mexicans because you are talking about people from another country instead of another racial group.

I can use both interchangibly because I can convert it in my head. If you cant't use multiple measuring systems seamlessly, you are a failure as a man.

I knew some muriKKKans who made themselves sick from eating Pollo Frito Kentucky in Madrid. (That's in Spain.) They so deserved it. Kept a bucket in their room without refrigeration, all the while surrounded by great Spanish food. MuriKKKans are fucking idiots. Their ignorance is surpassed only by their arrogance. Just like Daddy Dump. Go team!

Niggers don't create problems, they are problems.

Californian here. The wall isn't big enough. We need to send more beaners back and keep them there. Wish we were more like Florida with an ocean and shit loads of alligators to weed out the wetbacks.

Make Macedonia Greek Again!

>Importing the third world into our culture is awesome!
That's literally what the US did

Oh wait, americans never had a culture...

:You understand nothing

Fronterizo here. The wall has existed for some years now and has been effective in keeping EWI down. All them pesky illeagels that Billy-Bob screeches about come in two ways: visa overstays and "por la puerta principal" (bribing the unbelievably corrupt CBP agents).
The Great Wall of Trump is just the Brooklyn Bridge con writ large.

>And even if it was successful converting all the signs to metric would take quite a bit of time and money

other nations have done this, Australia to name one.

also, "being taught" the metric system is one fuck of a lot easier than imperial. how many ounces to the ton? how many square feet to an acre?

>Wish we were more like Florida
Where all the Central Americans come in, disguised as Puerto Ricans. Good idea.

You just don't notice American culture because you can't go to an American restaurant like you can Chinese, Thai, Italian, Indian, etc. The reality is that American culture is so permeated in your life that you don't realize it. American culture is basically the global culture

See

>American
>culture
Pick one.

movies, internet, cars, planes, sports, music....virtually everything the rest of the world now calls "modern culture" is in fact American culture that we exported to the mongols of the world.

>typical deflection argument while simultaneously proving my point

sit down Timmy, little punk bitch

And where are you from mr. cultured and refined? Eurabia?

Dates should be yy/mm/dd

America is just basically just an amalgamation of many cultures which makes sense when you consider everybody but native Americans were imagrants from other countries and when you have so many people from many different places at one spot its only natural that cultures and traditions start mixing together.

>to the mongols of the world.

It's probably too late for burgers to switch to the metric system

Because American Cheese is processed cheese(from multiple cheeses) it cannot be legally be labeled as cheese and have to be labelled differently, sometimes dropping the "cheese" label all together, even though it is still a blend of cheeses.

I think you're underestimating the popularity of the 2 liter coke and the 9 mm handgun, OP

nice rebuttal kid, except everything user said is true, especially considering things like Fahrenheit, which give a much wider more accurate scale of livable human temperatures compared to your like 0-37

>nice rebuttal kid
Protip: That's not me in the photo

Speaking for me, an American, I wish we would switch to the metric system. It would be a far more efficient model, and would lower costs to most of our devices (as we could rely on common sizes for replacement parts).

We like seeing our exploration rovers overshoot and occasionaly bury themselves in mars.

well, how much would it cost to switch over, any idea?

why don't you use metric time

Why should that matter, other than to give fuel to more ad hominem arguments?

Nice try, but no prize. Read the actual ingredients.

protip: don't spend your whole afternoon sitting in a Vietnamese watercoloring board refreshing a page waiting for a (you) you stupid eurocuck

Fahrenheit is not part of the Imperial system of measurement.

Recalibrating the cesium is a bitch.

not eurotrash you faggot. Remember ALL countries can has metric so the odds of me being euro are small. Di you fails math?Finally someone gets it.

Ever noticed how many snowflakes are on the USA flag?

Think about it.

Some have stated hundreds of millions. Others put it into the billion mark. But, so far, out of everything I've read, that cost is what it would cost if we drew a line in the sand and replaced EVERYTHING to metrics in one fell swoop. If we were smart, we'd do it through attrition. After a date (allowing for a 10 year period to gear up for it), anything NEW to the market (and all new and replacement signs) would be in the metric system. It would allow for a phase out, which alleviates the majority of costs.

smart. you must not be Aemerican

They can't call it cheese because it's made from powdered milk (milk solids) and vegetable oil. On a molecular scale, it's closer to a type of plastic than food.

>also logical for an entirely different reason because I said so reerereereree

damn dude

You are correct, sir.

I am American. I'd like to move to the metric system to actually strengthen our business opportunities in a global market. But...it's difficult to get the oldfags in business and congress to change their ways.

Congress adopted the metric system more than half a century ago. Your company needs only to offer parallel products.

Yeah. Metric is creeping in in the US. It will eventually be more expensive to keep imperial than change.

Im just laughing at the fact that everybody in this tread has lives are so empy and pathetic that they have to have a dick measuring contest with their countries just to feel secure about themselves and their shitty lives.

Which is the problem. Creating parallel anything in a business environment creates a higher cost of maintenance.

Truth be told, the only reason America hasn't switched is because the companies who supply parts for products in the imperial system are based out of the US. If the US moves to metrics, it will hurt that one class of companies as other countries could then be supplying parts. While it would drastically help the US consumer, the few companies making hundreds of millions in profits don't want to lose their cash cow.

Dicks will always be measured by imperials.

But you can use metric to make your dick seem bigger

I'm not who you responded to but how the fuck does 3 different measurements of gallons work? Imperial, US and UK. At least litres is a universal standard. Imperial is such a retarded system. The only measurement I would ever consider using is nautical miles as that relates to my work.

Imperial units are easier to visualize

when we do science we use metric

why does anyone care?