For non-native English speakers, what was the hardest part of the language to learn for you?

For non-native English speakers, what was the hardest part of the language to learn for you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY
youtube.com/watch?v=Fgz8kVI6q1E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>be Korean
>articles (the, a) was really hard
And it seems like American and British have different rules regarding 'the'. It's weird Americans say 'in the hospital' and Brits say 'in hospital'

Pronunciation if it counts, like the "schwa" and distinguishing it from the vowel sound in "cat" or the long-short vowel dicotomy. Also, some counter-intuitive grammar details like "not" preceding "to" in sentences such as "I told him not to talk to me anymore".

Pronunciation difference between words like Luke and look. I still can't hear it.

Really? They sound nothing alike to me, that's funny.

Pronunciation.

Luke = luuuk
Look = luk

There isn't a logical explanation tho

Both
>I told him not to talk to me anymore.
and
>I told him to not talk to me anymore.
Would be correct though, just so you know.

Your fucking idiotic rules (or lack thereof) for pronunciation.

Don't you just love words like queue and yacht, brazilfriend?

t. ão

doesn't that have something to do with the great vowel shift or nah?

a certain change in the scottish language perhaps?

this

What do they sound like to you?

youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY

The (lack of) rules

Like what?

Tenses.

The concept is completely alien to Hebrew.

Wait, then how do you describe that something happened in the past?

Usually in english you guys talk with long and short vowels, these variations are hard for spanish speakers to detect, specially because we just have five plain uses for consonants, and we rarely repeat them as you do.

Let's say:

Luke
Look

Luck
Lock

In spanish, we pronounce the O very different, in english they sound similar for us, but the u's sound is usually larger.

We don't have these variations with double vowels, if we need to add more than one vowel together we often use h:

Aquiahuatl
Agua
Agüita
Cuauhtémoc

The first, second and third words uses u in a different way, the first ommits the first u's sound, the second, third and fourth words are clearly differentiated (there are little differences when it comes to the tonic syllable).
We don't usually write the same vowel twice, so the duration per vowel is the same.

There are little exceptions, like zoológico, but we usually say it as zológico. Other one is leer(to read).

youtube.com/watch?v=Fgz8kVI6q1E

"he go to store yesterday"
"he go to store tomorrow"

Differentiating between British and American English (was taught British English at school but actually learnt from videogames and American TV shows)

Finding out that the native speakers use a lot more narrow vocabulary than non-natives.

We have three (past, present, future), but English got twelve.

Lol no.

vowels

>not to talk

>no hablar

what is confusing about this its the same in Mexican

Also in Spanish we have a way of referring to oneself, which is "uno", I find that way of speaking hard to translate