With Puerto Rico voting for statehood, are we closer to becoming a Latin American country?

Well?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_status_referendum,_2012
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Does this mean a PR girl will sit on my face

A PR girl felt me up on the Twister ride at Universal Studios once.

are all puerto rican women like this?

no, Puerto Ricans are already American citizens since like 1917, and there are already more Puerto Ricans in the mainland than here. But most importantly, Congress won't ever make statehood happen

No.

Spanish is looked down upon in the US.

>But most importantly, Congress won't ever make statehood happen
Your state congress?

Because the mainland has been open to it for a while now

Puerto Rico must not become a U.S. State

How in any way is the US a Latin American country?

>Because the mainland has been open to it for a while now
not really. Companies that have tax havens here have been lobbying against it. Plus the US govt profits a lot from our situation in many ways. They don't have to give us as much money as they give states, they have total federal control over our finances, they take all if not most of our 68 Billion~ yearly GNP, we have no real power against them no matter what they do because we have no voice in Congress and can't vote.. I could go on, and that's without mentioning the fact that it would mean one more blue state to deal with for Republicans. The US has a master-slave relationship with us and they have zero reason to change that, much less Republicans.

Tell us more I'm genuinely interested.

We're just gonna have to babysit a shithole. Fuck this is depressing.

Raise awareness of the issue to American representatives in blue states to "Guarantee" blue dominance in 2020, that's the best I can come up with

And there's nothing stopping Puerto Rico from legislating tax haven status for said companies to get them to step off

There are options but I'm not sure how the island wants to pursue them, from the turnout I'm guessing most people are divided on the issue unless they feel very strongly about it

>And there's nothing stopping Puerto Rico from legislating tax haven status for said companies to get them to step off
local corruption
last pic was of the governor we had in 2012, who was "pro-statehood" and made Gates comfier
>from the turnout I'm guessing most people are divided on the issue unless they feel very strongly about it
one chunk of the population just knew it was a waste of time like last plebiscite 5 years ago; non legally binding, Congress will use it to wipe their asses. Another chunk were the pro-Commonwealth and independentists who boycotted the plebiscite because the options were "Commonwealth / Independence", as if they were the same, while there was a "current status" clause, making it confusing on purpose. That's why the results were so overwhelmingly pro-statehood (97%). The majority here IS pro-statehood, but not by that much.

LMAO good luck guys.

forgot to add that the pro-Commonwealth people who did participate voted pro-statehood, because they are absolutely terrified of independence, and were afraid that the whole "Commonwealth / Independence" confusion would make Congress think we want independence. Hope I explained myself well enough without being boring

We are already pretty much a latin american banana republic

can't puerto rico also vote to break from the US and go fully independent as well? it's not like americans are holding a gun to your head and begging you guys to remain a territory. most of us can't even locate puerto rico on a map

>local corruption
Ah I see
>The majority here IS pro-statehood, but not by that much
I'm not sure if that's good for Puerto Rico or not but kudos to those who want to be part of this horrible horrible country

You're doing fine

most people here terrified of independence. Most believe that independence means becoming the next Venezuela or Haiti. And all the important pro-independence figures were killed/imprisoned in the 50s. Our two important parties are the pro-statehood one and the pro-Commonwealth one. And the US govt profits a lot from us despite the fact that many Americans don't even know we're a US territory.
thanks. I'd say last plebiscite pretty much reflects the real numbers. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rican_status_referendum,_2012
69% statehood, 33% pro-Commonwealth.

>kudos to those who want to be part of this horrible horrible country
hey, your country's not heaven like many think but it doesn't have t be, it's still a great country! Some bad administrations, but I'd still be proud if I was you.

You guys know if Puerto Rico becomes a state, you'll get even more redneck tourist trash? You'd be like Florida if it was an island.

Except rednecks are much less likely to be able to afford plane tickets

Puerto Rico doesn't have a city of theme parks.