Rate my turtle habitat. FYI, the light is where the water will be...

Rate my turtle habitat. FYI, the light is where the water will be. The turtle is coming Thursday; It’s a baby (2 months old) Central American Ornate Wood turtle.

Bump

Seems fine... might have respiratory issues with too much ventilation. It would probably appreciate more water too, those fuckers like to swim more than most give them credit for. 9/10

What is the best basking temperature? It’s showing up on my thermometer as 110 degrees Fahrenheit

90-95 degrees on the hot end and 70ish on the cool side.
3-4inches of substrate for a happy turtle helps too

The temp went up even higher when I left the thermometer under the basking light: 125 degrees Fahrenheit! The wattage on the bulb is 75. What wattage level should I get?

Combo-dome light? Get a 50 watt incandescent bulb and a UV 5.0 fluorescent bulb from the pet store and a lamp stand, raise the dome high enough so the basking side is 95ish to compensate for the ventilation and take down the second level, turtles suck at climbing most of the time lol

>trusting someone on Sup Forums to own an animal

nope. how long until you put a firecracker up its cloaca

Final tips: it’s a baby, they dehydrate easily, make sure it stays humid, varied diet, plenty of supplementation and do your research.

it has a whole tub of water

Doesn’t mean he’s going to use it if he’s already dehydrated. Moist substrate does much better for them in terms of general health.

Are you guys sure 50 Watts will work?

They’re dumb.

if he doesn't know to drink from the huge tub of water, then he deserves to die. DARWIN. it doesn't get anymore obvious than that. I'll strike him with a hammer myself. he'll be fine.

110 to 125 will cook it

best to make it 75

Go for it.

My current one is 75 and the basking spot for it is 125 Fahrenheit. I have the bulb about 11 inches above the basking area. Should I try 50?

50 will freeze it to death, try 100 or leave it at 75, 125 is fine for these guys

Won’t 125 farenheit hurt him?

This is turtally cool and cute

also best that enclosures include a large body of shallow water (5 to 6 inches deep) in which the turtles can and will soak.

A suitable enclosure (indoors or outdoors) will measure around 6 feet wide by 8 feet long and 8 inches tall, with an easily accessible freshwater pond area about one-third of the enclosure's size. Substrate should consist of approximately 8 inches of loose, sandy soil. Plant the enclosure with tropical or tropical-looking plants, such as broad-leaf cannas or pokeberry, which will give these nonbasking turtles adequate escape from the heat of the day and the privacy that helps them to thrive. They enjoy the darkness of tropical forests, and this atmosphere should be replicated in captivity as best as possible.

Ornate wood turtles love to dig for food and, like eastern box turtles, they have been documented as listening for invertebrates beneath the soil. As omnivores, they also feed on fresh fruits and vegetables, such as bananas, melons and collard greens, as well as small mammals, such as mice and invertebrates such as grubs, beetles and earthworms. Allowing your turtles to dig for some of their own food is enriching to them and will make for much healthier specimens.
Some food for thought