Hey faggots, what's a good, cheap multitrack recorder so I can make shitty music at home. No get a DAW answers please...

Hey faggots, what's a good, cheap multitrack recorder so I can make shitty music at home. No get a DAW answers please. Thanks.

ps2 should do the trick

Just get a Portastudio second hand and some tapes from Poundland

Get a DAW

Would you recommend the standard one or a slimline?

can you actually get blank tapes from poundland though

Yeah, at least until recently

I was thinking about that and I have a question. How does going ''guitar > chorus pedal > portastudio'' sound. In advance, yes I am retarded.

Logic

Like a chorus guitar into a Portastudio, I don't really know what else to say about it

Pro Tools

But I mean, will it sound all weak and thin and lifeless because I'm not going through an amp?

Yes you want to have all of your audio before the portastudio. If the chorus pedal was first in the signal chain there would be nothing running through it so that doesn't make any sense, and if you put anything after the portastudio it wouldn't be running into the machine and be recorded.
You really are dumb huh?

It can do, but that would happen with a guitar going straight into any recording hard/software. I tend to just record with amps for guitars anyway.

That's not what I was asking, I probably have sub 100 IQ but i'm not that dumb

Alright, thanks for the insight Lucifer.

Yeah I pobably will. Tbh recording like this requires gear, knowing how to mic it and how to mix it properly before it hits the tape. It's a lot easier to just use a DAW as you have easy access to amp sims, eq's, compressors, effects, and a lot more. It will also make honing your skills in each of these parts of the mixing and recording process which you will need to have a decent grasp on to put out something that doesn't sound like shit. And I'm not talking The Glow Pt.2 shit, that's charming and was a creative direction that was premeditated. There are a lot if people that worked in that album that knew what they were doing. No, the quality of your recordings will just sound bad and unpleasant.

Having easier access to all of these things will allow you to grow faster as a producer which is important if you are going to be self recording

Thoughts on the Boss BR-600? Shits got a drum machine in it too.

My entire "studio" consists of a Zoom H4n Pro, Audition 3.0, and a couple mics. It all depends on what you do with it.

Does the zoom h4n has any surface noise? I got a cheaper one but it is almost unusable because of the noise it generates.

What kind of music do you make?

does audacity count as a DAW? I use that for sketching out songs. Drop in a click track, riff around on top of it, stack some riffs, etc.
I've had some fun with TASCAM's too. They're pretty cheap on eBay

Why not a DAW? you pretentious faggot.

Because I'm too dumb to use them

DAW

Who fucking cares though

learn then, stupid

it's retarded to cripple yourself just because you're too lazy to figure out how to do something

hardware digital recorders are very limiting and only useful in a small number of cases

why wouldnt audacity count as a DAW? Youre digitally working with audio in a desktop workspace

it's more of a basic editor, really, usually anything that can be called a DAW has far more features

yeah, usually I don't consider something a DAW unless it lets you do sequencing at the very least. Copy-pasting a drumloop over and over is a pain in the balls

The preamps are kinda shitty, desu, but the noise floor isn't bad provided your signal is strong enough. It seems worse with dynamic mics than it is for condensers. Then again, I'm mostly using vintage mics.

Mostly acoustic and vocal stuff of varying genres. Some lounge remixes.

are you a caveman?
A PC is 100 times more powerful than a multitrack recorder
unless you wanna turn this into some kind of artistic statement?

I come from the year 1991

how the hell do you do that?

if you don't plan on making music beyond what a hobbyist would make then don't bother with a cheap multitrack, just download a free daw or crack one of the popular ones. what kind of music do you expect to make with just a multitrack? do you have any other physical equipment? if not, then the only thing you're able to really use are tape loops, and if you're not even putting effects on them, your """music""" isn't worth being made.

not using a daw is a meme

With magic

Idk, this album's pretty dope

yea but you're not making music like this

How would you know

alesis hd 24

do any of you guys use fancy soundcards to minimize latency when recording stuff? Double tracking rhythm guitars is a total pain in the balls for me because there's some tiny bit of lag that fucks up my rhythm (or maybe I just suck, idk)

I actually record each track without listening to the others, that solved my rhythm issues. I have a feeling you're following the guitar more than the metronome or drum track and that's fucking you up.

I've actually got a MOTU 896 that I use for special occasions (It's not permanently set up and I still don't have a space set aside for it to live). Using an external DAI like that rather than onboard soundcards can sometimes fix latency issues.

I have two sound cards, external and internal, both are audio interfaces, plus there's latency correction

actually I think you hit the nail on the head. I might have to try that

Yeah man, I've had the same problem and it pissed me off so much. Glad I could help!

Garageband is free
Logic is free if you torrent it

who's that character

Nelson from "the Simpsons" franchise

wtf he doesnt look like nelson at all

that's a meme frame

It's Ralph

Ralph has a rounder haircut

yeah it's more likely to be ralph but i cant remember ralph looking this diabolical

it's martin prince

lmao look at everybody getting so serious