13 years on, what makes this film so special Sup Forums?

13 years on, what makes this film so special Sup Forums?

is this patrician?

Bill murray/Scarjo rape scene

CLOSE MY EYES
FEEL ME NOW

I DON'T KNOW
HOW YOU COULD NOW LOVE ME NOW

2 great performances. Thats really all there is to this movie. When you think about it theres not much else going on. Theres barely a story, and if I remember correctly there isn't a single bit of action in any scene. It's the most uneventful two hours ever, but it's so damn enjoyable because of the two leads

It's beloved by hipsters for some reason.

The only thing that makes it special is watching it as a vulnerable, alienated kid with an unrequited crush and below average social life.

>Neon
>Tokyo
>Comfy
>Theme of the film is loneliness

My Bloody Valentine soundtrack

More LiT posting commencing

Nothing really sticks to the mind in this shallow attempt at portraying "alienation." Yes, Bill Murray is cool and witty, Scarlett Johansson is gorgeous, the music is good and Tokyo looks otherworldly, but you can't hang your movie on these surface pleasures without any real ideas or vision and have it succeed as much more than banal eye candy; designer alienation, ennui chicâ„¢.

When it comes to painting such themes with actual emotional or intellectual heft, let's just say that Coppola is no Antonioni or Kar-Wai (two of her self-professed influences). This is a superficially pretty but achingly dull and empty film with nothing of substance to express, and I can only suppose its mass appeal rests largely on the shimmering city, mediocre songs and lead actors it captures, all of which impart a certain built-in pathos mostly separate from the text of the film itself.

This is ITMFL for plebs. Nobody actually likes this film, they just like to be seen liking it.

good collors
good actors
great scenario(japan)
loneliness feeling

all this makes it a comfy movie

Movies are a visual and emotional art form faggot.
Movies that try being intellectual always fail because the format and duration cannot make it work.

>mediocre songs
hee hee
right

Needing a "substance" fueled deeply complex story just to like a movie is a sign of you being a spineless weakling pleb.

Movies are a visual medium and the visuals/audio are the main focus, not the narrative.

You can have a bad/mediocre script and still make a great movie if the right people work on it (Fury Road, Sicario, The Revenant are some recent examples).

Stay pleb.

As a 30 year old male, I loved the movie when it came out because I fell in love with Scarjo.

what went wrong

reddi/tv/ is too easy to b8

This movie would not have worked with anyone except Bill Murray. He's just perfect.

The stiffness of my penis.

this
Lost in Translation annoys me as it's a western fetishized interpretation of Japan and its culture. It doesn't attempt to explore anything about it beyond a purely aesthetic and superficial level. It's the prime example of the facetiousness of the American arthouse scene.

Absolutely nothing. She looks hot af

Is this copypasta? I feel like I've already read this pile of shit once, but I'm not sure.

>tfw love all 3

FUCK YOU I HATE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH

I WENT TO SEE IT ON MY BIRTHDAY

WORST BIRTHDAY OF MY LIFE

I DROVE 30 MINUTES TO SOME ARTHOUSE THEATER TO SEE THIS SHIT

60 MINUTES OF DRIVING AND 8 WHOLE DOLLARS FOR THIS TRY-HARD PROTO-REDDIT TRASH

FUCK YOU

The movie isn't about Japan.

That's what you get for having a birthday and being born I hope you learn from your mistakes

You really gonna say there was nothing to like about the movie?!

iktf. Never take Sup Forums recs at face value. Did you at least get a laugh from the me rikey ching chong stuff?

Marriage to Bill Clinton

I'm having a hard time believing that little miss coppola could have made this

it's kino but people pretend not to like it because it's kind of popular

your a dorable

the most appealing thing from a woman its the face to me. And her face is weird.

this is good criticism and i was hoping to read some decent counterarguments but no one has managed to lobby one.

I'd say that we're devaluing what Coppola, Murray, and Johansson did actually manage to conjure between the three of them, and that's an idiosyncratic blend of pathos and subdued comedy - it's not like ITMFL nor Like Someone in Love because that comedic element skews the whole thing. The whole thing comes out feeling like a sigh, which I feel is actually a wonderful thing to be able to convey through cinema

This is correct.

nothing

I remember watching this but I can't remember what happens, that's how forgettable it was

I'm not really a huge fan of Lost in Translation, but that's literally the most pleb thing you could say in this thread.

We've all wanted to run away with someone who understands us on a basic level. We either see ourselves as Bill Murray, just going through the motions of life or as Scarjo, looking for that spark that was there when you first fell in love.

While the characters are extreme versions of what I described, it's easy to see why people love LiT. I identify with scarjo's character and I'm a guy, if that says anything.