What was the worst episode of the golden age of The Simpsons?

What was the worst episode of the golden age of The Simpsons?

Other urls found in this thread:

deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

marge be not proud

Thanksgiving one where Bart steals the turkey

so what is that, the first 3 seasons? seasons 3 to 6?

people tend to hate Homers Night Out because marge is such an unreasonable bitch.

all he did was dance with her...and it's literally documented. He could have been fucking lurleen lumpkin or Mindy hardcore AND gotten away with it quite easily.

The one where Marge gets that fancy dress and joins that fancy dress club or whatever and she ends up re styling the dress like 3 times

I remember being mostly angry at that one episode where Marge kicks Homer out of the house because he shares her secrets. Not that there can't be conflict, but I saw no reason why Homer had to live and act like a crazy bum in the treehouse. It just didn't make any sense. He could go to a hotel or something.

According to that novel-length essay about why The Simpsons sucks now, that episode is apparently the beginning of the end.

Principal and pauper lmao

Homer Alone is fucking awful

The one where Homer goes to space, it was the first outlandish one that wasn't a Treehouse of horror.

Rewatched it recently and was disappointed. I remembered it being okay.

link?

Grimey because it's the first LOL THIS SHOW IS SO CRAZY lazy meta humor > plot episode.

>deadhomersociety.com/zombiesimpsons/

Despite Sup Forums hating Zombie Simpsons more than anything, everyone always calls this autism when I share it.

it certainly is annoying, but it has some great gags if you rewatch closely.

I dunno where you place the beggining and the end of the golden age, but...

>the one where bart and lisa go to military school
>the one where homer gets in the navy, bart's diamond earring and stuff
>the one where marge cant fly
>the one where homer is coach of the football team and bart hates the attention
>radioactive man movie episode
>homer vs newyork
>the musical clipshow one

if i dig deep there's a bunch of episodes from season 1 to 11 that im not crazy about. Most of them are probably from season 9 onwards.

Season 5 and 6 are literally flawless

The one where Bart tries his hardest but still fails the test. Because it hit way too close to home. Except I didn't pull some crazy factoid out of my ass to get a D-.

>argument begins with dictionary definition of the individual words in the title

i have no idea why, but i actually laughed at this
most people try too hard with their ironic shitposting, this is simple and to the point. thank you user.

That episode was created to tell the Sup Forums-level autists on the internet at tht time to chill out, that it's just a comedy show, don't nitpick everything

the Radioactive Man episode is kino, even moreso today with the plague of superhero movies.

>the one where marge cant fly
>the one where homer is coach of the football team and bart hates the attention

those for sure are stinkers, but the rest of those range from classic to just ok.

I will agree though that 5 and 6 and pretty much perfect.

What's the episode where Marge krumps?

I feel like i'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I don't enjoy the sideshow Bob episodes. Something about them, their weird tone, the silly schemes, his unreasonable obsession with killing bart. Maybe I haven't watched enough thrillers or psychological horror to understand what they're parodying but they always fell flat for me.

PSA: Simpsons golden age is seasons 3-8.

PSA: your a faggot

PSA: It's you're not your

I hated that episode where Brian "died" and they replaced him with another dog.

Shut you're mouth

your right, most if not all the sideshow bob episodes are great.

This episode? What was bad about this one? It really made me feel.

Catfish?

>t. pleb

>season 8
>homer they fall
>burns baby burns
>lisas date with density
>Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious
>homer's phobia
>the simpsons spin-off showcase
>the secret war of lisa simpsons
Season 8 the beginning of the end. It has many classic episodes but some real stinkers. Season 9 is where it really starts falling off

desu they dwelled too long on the feels and it's just depressing and awkward.

>>homer vs newyork
Fantastic episode

nah, there's not a single good joke in it, i feel likr it gets popular for the wrong reasons, like you just said "superhero movies of today" and "the googles do nothing!" meme status.

musical clipshow episode is abysmal dude.
i admit the newyork one is a personal thing, it's just not comfy.

it makes you feel bad, where every other "feels" episode out there was heartwarming, for example the episode where homer wishes flander's store the worst. You see homer struggle with his impulse to do the right thing and his dislike towards flanders the whole episode. On this one bart never really realizes the impact of his actions on marge, or if it's right or wrong, anything. marge never really learns to live with what he's done, never tries to teach him a lesson, she just tries to keep him from running away from the house and stuff.
It's just very.. uncomfortable.

>the one where bart and lisa go to military school

BINGO

This is literally the last and worst episode of the golden age. It's followed by the season 9 opener; the NYC episode.

The NYC episode marks an important milestone that takes the show in a zany new, globetrotting direction.

Here's what the essay here says about it

>“Marge Be Not Proud” was, in the parlance of crappy television, a “Very Special Episode”.25 Like so many very special episodes, this one involved a small family crisis brought on by a childish moral breach. Channeling countless television kids who came before him, Bart steals something. That sets in motion a series of television tropes and cliches that play out so predictably that they wouldn’t have been out of place in the 1950s: Bart steals, Bart gets caught, Bart feels bad, Marge finds out, Marge distrusts Bart, Bart feels worse, Bart makes good, they hug, the end.
>The episode is made all the more jarring by having Bart be the one who sinks into guilt and self pity. Bart was America’s bad boy, the underachiever who was proud of it. Here he acts like every sitcom kid since television began, haunted by something he did and crushed that his mother is disappointed in him. The Simpsons had never before handled emotions that clumsily.
>Genuine emotional moments were often handled within the framework of the show and The Simpsons knew how to play them with a light touch; using them to swiftly advance the story and then getting them out of the way. But in “Marge Be Not Proud” the emotional moments don’t just linger, they repeatedly grind the story to a halt so that the audience can be assaulted by the obvious time and again.
>In Season 7, it is only “Marge Be Not Proud” that uses a shop worn, moralistic plot and unfolds it at such an agonizingly glacial pace. It is a very special episode, the first one the show ever did, and the harbinger of Zombie Simpsons.

Could you explain what you like about them?

>googles
this typo never gets old

That reads like an /r/philosophy post. The author has his head up his ass.

Maybe I just had a personal connection with the episode because my mother would always manipulate me emotionally like marge did.

>Bart was America's Bad boy...

That's retarded...whoever wrote that shit needs to go watch the first two seasons again, practically every episode ends with like either homer and marge / the entire family hugging.

The Mary Poppins episode.

I dare anybody here to name a single gag off the top of their head from Dancing Homer.

That episode was bad.

yeah bart likes to think of himself as the bad boy maybe, but he's just a prankster, useless at anything like any spoiled boy, oblivious to other's feelings. But that's about it. If someone was the bad boy it might be jimbo and his crew i guess

i keep forgetting it exists. It's okay tho. For a musical episode at least. The thing with marge's hair really freaks me out

>That reads like an /r/philosophy post. The author has his head up his ass.
I don't know /r/philosphy but that was a pretty well articulated opinion about why that epiode was the beginning of the end. it didn't do the classic simpsons subversion of tropes, it did the tropes.

aye this one popped into my head instantly

Back in the late 80s/early 90s, parents wouldn't let their kids watch Simpsons. Kind of like a precursor to Beavis and Butthead. It seems tame now, but it pushed boundaries that shows on other networks wouldn't dare do.

Kelsey Grammer has a great voice

I like Gilbert and Sullivan musicals

They are generally just entertaining episodes

Yeah people like to act like there's one particular episode that delineates Good Simpsons from Bad Simpsons, but very slowly the shitty aspects appear in one episode. Then it disappears, but reappears later. Then it just becomes more and more common.

>just a comedy show
And that's where the writers were completely wrong and everything derailed.

Mike Scully becoming the showrunner in season 9 really turned the show into a cartoon if you know what I mean.

Scully was a total hack. After Simpsons he was responsible for this turd.

Every now and then they get a bit of the old magic back

"Today I am a Clown" is a perfectly fine episode and that's in season 15

Probably because its dealing with a somewhat grounded and relatable story line around Krusty and his faith as opposed to "here's the guest star, lets write a story around them" or "The Simpsons are [insert somewhere or something outlandish]

I agree that there isn't a single cut off point where The Simpsons stopped being good, but I remember the episode for me clearly.

"Dude Where's my Ranch"

Looking back now, the signs were there before hand, but as a kid I vividly remember the episode finishing and it being the first time I thought an episode was objectively terrible. I saw it again recently and the Misery joke is good, but as a kid I didn't even get that.

The one where Lisa steals the pig and becomes a vegetarian.

This is the point where her character became shit.

You can thank McCartney for that. He wanted Lisa to remain a vegetarian because he doesn't eat meat.

Worst Beatle.

Ok, in hindsight we can pin-point bad episodes, but when did it smack you that the once-great show was going down the tubes.

For me it was in season 12 when Homer gets pranked by Mr. Burns for money. I just remember him dressing up as a baby, and then in a panda suit. That was the first episode that made me go... what? Full disclosure i watched it for a few years after that, but that was because I was lazy and it was always on tv.

It's also the fact that Marge was considering cheating on Homer with that french fuck just a few episodes beforehand.

My parents didnt let me watch when I was young. They said it was anti-christian.

I only started to watch the show in season 10-11 when I got a TV in my own room. And then of course I got some earlier syndicated stuff. But I have a soft spot for the crazy zany 10-15 seasons where there are some legit laughs.

Going back now I understand how people dont like them as much as early stuff, but I dont feel bad about it. I wouldnt have understood half of the references in them. Watching them as an adult is far more fulfilling.

I really don't like kamp krusty for some reason

they'll never stop the simpsons
have no fears
we've got stories for years

dude lord of the flies lmao

I hate every sideshow bob episode

yvan eht nioj

Over this past summer i watched the entirety of the simpsons over the course of about 2 months on a $10 dollar bet with a friend. I learned a lot about television, pop culture, and myself. Keep in mind that before then I had never been a big simpsons person, I was just trying to prove that I could do it. So every day i would watch about 6-10 episodes of the simpsons, with it escalating to about a season a day in the last week or so. Because of this, I have pretty nuanced takes on the simpsons. Golden age is seasons 3-8. Gradual decline until season 15, then rock bottom from 15-20. 20-24 are pretty bad but there are actually good episodes because fox realized they needed to preserve the brand so they could have it forever. 24-27 were bad but nowhere near the level of phoning it in that happened in the early 2000's. Also, 22 short films is the best episode. Ask me anything about the simpsons.

Jesus christ, that's impressive.

What are the best and worst post-season9 seasons.

Thoughts on the episode where Bart gets a horse and the jockeys were magical evil elves? I always thought of that as the point of no return.

I agree with the notion that it's an out of place episode of the simpsons, but it touched on something very real.

If you were an underachiever who got away with a lot of bratty behaviour, the few incidental times where your parents perked up and reflected on your actions were actually very jarring and emotionally draining.

I don't think it was deliberate, but that episode resonated with shitty families everywhere.

14 is probably the most consistent but there's not really any stand out episodes. Worst season is without a doubt season 16.

What are your thoughts on early (seasons 1, 2 & maybe 3) Simpsons?

when it was aired it was definitely the dumbest thing they've ever done. Season 11 is where i adjusted my standards. That episode was stupid but 11 had a few good episodes and it got way worse post season 15

why is season 5 the best season?

almost an entirely different show. cable tv didn't know what to do with animation. couple of enjoyable eps but overall too corny.

It's not. Season 7 is. 5 is probably second though.

What was your favorite Treehouse of Horror?

I never got why he wore a blue shirt in ads or billboards but never in the show.

Spending day after day watching dozens of episodes doesn't give you a 'nuanced' perspective. The people who are able to analyze and critique the episodes fairly have seen each one multiple times over the span of years. The human brain just can't take in that much information in a short time and actually comprehend it; at best, you have general trends from season to season.

So no, I will not ask you anything about the simpsons

fuck off. simpsons was way too much of my life to listen to your bullshit. ur gay and also balls.

s12

He's completely right though.
2 months isn't 'nuanced'. Sitting around all summer didn't give you experiences or memories to associate with the series.

You just mashed 30 years of tv into a summer and want to tell yourself it's meaningful. That's bullshit. You haven't posted anything I didn't already know from seeing a half-dozen new episodes over the last decade.

Bootlegging.

It made it easy to identify unlicensed merch because it would have a orange shirt just like the TV show. I assume it only affected Bart because he was the real cashcow merchandise wise in the early 90's

I feel like immersing myself in the simpsons to the point where simp was all I did aside from my minimum wage job is reasonably committed enough to say I'm more knowledgeable about it than most. I get where you're coming from though, there's definitely way more dedicated people than me.

>>the one where homer gets in the navy, bart's diamond earring and stuff
This is without any shadow of doubt the absolute worst golden age simpsons episode

Isn't it season 9? I don't really even count season 8 either, it has some god awful episodes too

Some people count season 10 as the "classic era". Maybe it's because it's the last Phil Hartman season, I'm guessing

If s10 is indeed classic, then the worst classic Simpsons episode is The Old man and the c student. Complain about the Principal and the pauper all you want, this is the one that actually destroyed Skinner's character. He gave Bart of all people a showcase, which is unusually dim for his character, and later punches Springy-Homer in the face for what Bart did, which is retarded and out of character?

Also, Jack lalanne's cameo is cringy and pointless. This episode felt like it could've been a touching Bart/Grandpa story, but it instead wasted time on silly antics and springs bouncing a boat out of the water

Season 1 is really comfy and underrated

It has a Charlie Brown esque charm to it, which seasons 3-8 don't have quite as much (they're still great seasons though, in fact they're better than s1 in most other ways)

I didnt like that one much. It had good jokes and a nice buildup, but they go to space and it feels like theres no payoff at all

that was when I knew there was something wrong. forced moral faggotry and pointless character development

This thread is making me realise The Simpsons was kind of bad in the first place.

What a strange and childish viewpoint.

>tfw people hate feels

I never thought it was possible. I have never met a single person until now who didnt love that episode or mention how much it made them love the show even more.

Now people are cheapening it by comparing it to shitty "very special" episodes full of fake out of place melodrama, when it actually fit perfectly with all the characters.. at least.. how they used to be... I guess people don't remember, or care, how they used to be anymore.

Everyone cares more about sounding intelligent by re-interpreting things out of context to fit the narratives of today, or the skewed, faulty, and flawed perceptions of how things were then.

Soon some jackasses are going to say they hate the episode where Homer meets his mom because it didn't have enough jokes, and I will officially give up on the human race.

Probably happened already.

I envy the people who died on 9/11.. they went out at the perfect time.

Nah
The highs were really high, and the lows are pretty low. The majority was decent and very watchable which is where the love comes from.

It only has a "golden era" because they show should have ended more than a decade ago.
If zombie simpsons didnt exist, the shitty early episodes wouldnt be overlooked so much.

Heartfelt episodes only worked before they turned everyone into a caricature.

And generational thing is one of the reasons I love the feels episodes so much. Not so much now, but a lot of situations and family dynamics portrayed in the show fit perfectly with my home life as a child.

As time goes on, people are going to stop connecting with the old shows and start identifying more with episodes like the Simpsons family running through the Apple store.

There is a reason that people also really love King of the Hill.

>people hate feels
I think the author was speaking more to the way the writers handled the emotional content in such a ham-fisted, dated, and uncharacteristic way for Bart's established identity

spoken like a true adult, m'ssir