Why does Prometheus get so much hate? It's a pretty strong sci-fi movie imo

Why does Prometheus get so much hate? It's a pretty strong sci-fi movie imo

Is it because its part of the Alien universe and somehow didn't meet expectations? It's by no means the worst Aliens movie. And there's only like 30 seconds of Xeno in the entire movie so it's very easy to watch as a stand alone.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AZtAtyB6Moo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=AZtAtyB6Moo

It was overhyped before its release. The marketing campaign that preceded it far surpassed the quality of the actual movie.
Ridley didn't want it to be an Alien prequel, he insisted to his last breath that it was just set in the same universe and that its own sequels would depart further and further from the Alien sequence. With hindsight that's been thrown out the window with Prometheus 2 officially named "Alien Covenant."
The plot somehow managed to reveal too much but not enough. Some people will have raged against any movie featuring the Space Jockey because they were enamored of the mystery of seeing it in Alien. At the same time, what little we saw was still too vague to anyone that actually wanted the origins of the franchise fleshed out.
Some people hate Damon Lindelof. Somehow he gets most of the criticism for Lost, while Cuse gets less and Abrams gets none. Lindelof was specifically brought on board to revise a script that Scott thought was too expository. He's now criticized for doing what he was asked to do.
It was over edited. Some common complaints like the """scientists""" behavior with the worm-snake is easily explained when watching the deleted scenes.
This is just a sample. I'm done for now.

I liked it fine. I think expectations were way too high for some people. Can't wait for the next one come August.

Fair enough. Actually a pretty good critique

Bad writing, too many plot holes, poorly written characters.

I lost my virginity after watching Prometheus. Both things took too long to finish and weren't very fun

You said you weren't going to bring that up again.

Hate.
Contrary to what the shitposters will have you believe, in the years since that movie came out, nearly every Prometheus thread I've seen posted here flourishes with engagement. No matter how spotty the writing was, people loved the atmosphere, and LOVE to talk about it. They always amass a shitton of posts.

It's one of those movies that half of Sup Forums hates, and the other half loves, but neither ever wants to stop talking about it. Sure, there might not be a thread for a few days, but once there is one, it at least gets 100 replies.

The biggest flaw it had was becoming a totally different movie in the second half. The first part hard the wonder/horror of discovery. Then the whole "Old dude's here on this ship" fuckery came around and ruined the mood that had been built up for an hour.

Same reason Batman v Superman got so much hate. People hate what they don't understand.

WHY
DIDNT
SHE
RUN
SIDEWAYS

Wouldn't have been as visually appealing.

She was the most visually appealing character though.

Vickers was run over because she was unchanging and inflexible. Capital offenses in the Alien Cinematic Universe.

Rumor has it, the script describes that scene as "Vickers is run over by the Wheel of Fate"

That scene is the epitome of "dude metaphors lmao." All the same, that you were unable to recognize this speaks ill of your critical understanding.
So, I highly recommend James Monaco's "How to Read a Film" for you.

*tips and departs stage right

>unchanging and inflexible

She was the first person to accept change and flexibility though when she took a flamethrower to that one guy.

Everyone's a scientist but they all have to act retarded for the plot to happen.

Terrible writing. There's just no getting around it, no matter what else is or isn't good. It's pretty much the Fallout 4 of movies.

I hope you are trolling and dont actually believe the director was intelligent or aware enough to make a metaphorical scene.

God i really fucking despise idiots that create depth where none was intended. Faux intellectuals, literally hipsters and just as pathetic.

This. I wanted to like it, but it went off the rails in too many places. Didn't feel like it was in the same universe, either. And I don't give a fuck what Ridley Scott intended. Make a prequel, or don't make a prequel. But don't do some half-assed compromise between the two that doesn't work with the original franchise or work on it's own.

>Everyone is stupid - the film

The setting was great the graphics were great but the crew was fucking stupid. Bringing that many retards on such an important mission detracted a lot from the movie.

Can we agree that "oh shit this place is spooky I want to leave but oh wait let me pet this alien penis monster" guy is the prime idiot?

>It was overhyped before its release. The marketing campaign that preceded it far surpassed the quality of the actual movie. Ridley didn't want it to be an Alien prequel, he insisted to his last breath that it was just set in the same universe and that its own sequels would depart further and further from the Alien sequence.

This is the biggest problem. The movie has an identity crisis. It was marketed as an Alien movie, it has all the elements and environments of an Alien movie, but it firmly insists that no, it is not an Alien movie but it's own thing that happens to take place in that universe. Given how rare sci-fi creature features are these days, that's unacceptable.

Scott should have either fully committed to the universe and idea of a sequel, or removed any dialogue or direct visual reference to the first film. The wishy-washyness makes it hard to love or even fully accept Prometheus as a singular idea.

Given all that, I am looking forward to Covenant. He seems to have learned from his mistakes.

>They revealed too much but not enough

This is super true. We saw things we didn't want to see and we didn't see what we wanted to see. It was definitely interesting fleshing out the technology of the engineers and their purpose in the galaxy and the black goo but certain revelations were lacklustre. The fact that the engineers were just tall white people, the reveal of the weird looking alien at the end and the seemingly random nature of the black goo throughout weren't what people expected and in a good way.

Overall the movie was filled with good ideas that came together sloppily and that killed all suspense of disbelief.

I cannot put into words how exited I was for this movie, it was the first time I went into the theatre completely blind to all trailers/posters/coverage about the movie. All I knew was that it was in the alien universe. Needless to say I was let down. But I was hoping the sequel would right its wrongs but apparently that's not necessarily going to happen. THe fact that Prometheus 2 is now leading into Alien is possibly the biggest disappointment out of all of this.

>Then the whole "Old dude's here on this ship" fuckery came around and ruined the mood that had been built up for an hour.

This is even more of a tonal clusterfuck because it takes place directly after the "c-section" scene. As in, Noomi is still covered in blood and just walked out of the surgery room. That shit is horrific and scarring, you'd think she would at least mention the fact that she gave birth to a squid monster less than ten feet away from them. But because the script demands it, she is more shocked and curious at old Weyland's appearance than that.

It was a shit film on every level imaginable.

>muh cinematography

It was shit. Adam Sandler is legitimately better filmmaker than Ridley TWO GOOD MOVIES Scott.

>you cant have science fiction without dumb stuff

do normies seriously believe sci begins and ends with star wars?

stress effects judgment. People do all sorts of stupid shit in a crisis. nothing unbelievable about her getting killed in that manor desu