Ask an experimental physicist anything. I got like an hour or so

Ask an experimental physicist anything. I got like an hour or so

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B5Tz2j8NupM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What do you do?

why do things bad happen good to people?

I'm currently on a project looking for a good way to grow vertically aligned carbon nanotubes using an alumina template. We want to be able to control the CNT diameters for field emitters as well as biological work

Is Elon Musk a douchebag?

how long till alcubierre space travel?

Eh, he's a business man. I think it comes with the job.

Why?

I don't think it'll happen for a long ass time if it's actually possible.
CNT's are still considered a magic material even though the craze has died down in the last 10 years. We just wanna do what we can with em. They're promising for neural growth in severed neural pathways.

it's graphene turducken

why are you not producing carbon nanotubes in mass yet?

Do you posses a Masters or Phd? If so, what was your thesis/thesis's about?

Why did you do the experiment??? Why couldn't you be a good little boy??

Shits hard to make man. I spent 3 hours of my day today doing Raman on a sample only to prove that there is indeed some carbon on the wafer. They're the holy grail for material and physical science, but fucking bastards to get in large amounts

What percent of the people you work with do you suspect are virgins?

Are you working with catalyst?

I kind of fudged the title. I'm writing my masters thesis on this topic atm. I plan on going into industry for a couple of years before picking up my PhD

Yea for this run. We're doing PECVD so we're using a Ni catalyst. we plan on testing Fe as well as Co to see what supports the best growth

Supercapacitors to replace chemical batteries when?

What doth life, op?

r u gay lmao

Soon-ish if we're lucky. I don't know much about the whole energy field but I've been told that it's going decently.
Are we just fleshy blips in some meaningless stew of cosmic oblivion? Or is it vice re-versa?"

What's your opinion on buckminster fuller?

nah

PROOF or gtfo

if true then
Are you interested in other fields eg neuroscience?
Compared to other fields how hot is Ex Physics right now in your opinion for research?
Do you like movies 'nerdy things' DF, primer etc

are we only here on this moment only to be replaced by the next?

Would you say carbon nanotubes will be a building material in the future, and if so, for what kinds of construction?

space elevator

Your thoughts about communism

LMFAOROFL

I mean what proof do you want? I can talk about surface plasmon polaritons and exciton polartion dispersion relations and shit...lol. I'm actually interested in topological QFT focused on the dynamics of non-abelian anyons but that shit doesn't make money so I do it in my free time.
I think the hot shit in experimental physics is meta-materials and novel semi-conductor work(plasmon waveguides and such). I like some nerdy things but i'm not open about em much.
In the near future I think they'll be used in biomedical and semiconductor work, I think the space elevator meme is faaaaaar off.
Fuck commies.

Space elevators are not very feasible

I recently made a presentation about field emitting applications of nanotubes, I was particularly interested in their use to produce x-ray

It's posible to cross Van Halen's belt?

Only if you jump

Yea, I don't see why not.
Aren't they some cool shit? I was honestly thinking I would hate this gig when I started because anything material science related seemed boring as fuck but it's pretty neat

Why do we park on driveways and drive on parkways?

Weekdays the square root of a jillion?

I'm hearing god things about aviation grade structural ariogels (dam spell checker).
any 411's?

That's an open question of the universe.
Still roughly a jillion

ikr xddddddddddddddd

Your mom isn't very feasible

That's a bit too deep into material science for me, so I can't help much on that. Sorry man.

Dumbass

I agree, traditional particle physics is going to have a hard time moving forward but there's a lot of developments in condensed particle physics
Also do they really have any chance of being used for structural elements like in a building or rocket?

Yea i'm pretty dumb, so you'll need to be more detailed as to why

Was kind of vague, just meant an original opinionrelating to the field that is indicative of your supposed level of knowledge, you've made more posts now that are in more depth. Anyone could go on here and just use hur durr Relativistic cantor loop field hypothesis.

Do you get to put much energy into more theoretical side stuff?

can i smoke in here?

What kind of power source can we use in a manned space ship to reach a distant star? What would last long enough to get us all the way to Alpha Centauri?

Because even good estimates still say it'll take decades.

They can easily be used to build hybrid materials with reinforced properties (CNT threads in concrete or some shit) but as a stand alone I think we're far off from like a pure CNT rocket or some shit.
Yea true, but it's pretty easy to spot the liars. I normally spot them if they ever say QM is actually mystical or amazing. It's just boring ass linear algebra...lol. I don't get to put much time into it so i'm still a novice in the theory side. One of my friends is working on a novel method to solve the kondo problem using renormalization group theory so he kinda teaches me some condensed matter QFT when he's free. I just think that shits neat
Not sure actually, power regulation is out of my field and best left to aerospace and material science

Because youre bored and askin shit here lol

I'll have you know she is very feasible.

answer pls

>It's posible to cross Van Halen's belt?
>
>Yea, I don't see why not.
> (You)
>Aren't they some cool shit? I was honestly thinking I would hate this gig when I started because anything material science related seemed boring as fuck but it's pretty neat
>
>Yea, I don't see why not.
> (You)
>Aren't they some cool shit? I was honestly thinking I would hate this gig when I started because anything material science related seemed boring as fuck but it's pretty neat

I think material science is the future but probably just I'm saying that because I'm studying material engineering and Nanotechnology

Oh, I don't think much about him at all actually. I'm not for or against him and don't know enough about him...lol.
eh, you're here too. We're all dumbasses.

How does it feel knowing your life's work will eventually be used to enslave poor people and/or exclusively benefit billionaire elites at the expense of poor people?

but he invented buckyballs before we knew they existed

I'm bored too lol

Dumbass.

I don't really give a shit. I'll work for the industrial military complex if it pays well. I don't think of morality in my research...lol. My last and side project is one CNT gas sensors detecting chemical weapons for the army.
as far as I know he liked the pretty shape and that was kind of it. Frankly I don't give a shit about where it came from and I don't think he's a legend because of it. That's like saying Iijima didn't discover the CNT because someone rolled up a piece of paper before.

What's the total you spent on your education, and how much money do you make yearly today.

When will we have working mechs that aren't absurdly heavy?

>as far as I know he liked the pretty shape and that was kind of it.
Nah he invented that shit. The only shape to become stronger with more vertexes. He also invented a whole bunch of other things that you can learn inside the big golf ball (that's also a geodesic sphere) at the Epcot center.

Why do holes have mass, and why do I need a masters degree to do ANYTHING with semiconductors?

Who is Ruben?

>I don't really give a shit. I'll work for the industrial military complex if it pays well. I don't think of morality in my research...lol. My last and side project is one CNT gas sensors detecting chemical weapons for the army.

Soon that's gonna be used to track civilians on American soil.

Eat shit.

So you work basically for your dumbass self?

0 dollars since I was funded on grants and shit, and like I said earlier i'm still a grad student so my pay is butts, but average salary in my field for entry level is around 75-80K USD
Oh boy man shit is fucking complicated. Holes have an effective mass in the VB due to all the fun interactions you might have covered already. Holes aren't real but are a great mathematical construct to explain complicated dynamics that require QFT to bite at. Also semiconductors are so god damn complicated if you want to do R&D. If you just wanna be a production engineer a BS in EE or CE is probably fine, but the nitty gritty requires a lot of QM.
I'm willing to bet my research isn't going to somehow track people. I built the fucking antennas and I know how that shit works. If it's not one of 3 hyper specific compounds it's a damn paperweight.
Neat, I'll look into him one of these days

I work for whoever pays the most. That's the magic of grants and contract work.

My professor showed me a paper where it was written that the first nanotubes ever seen were in Russia during the 60s and he sad that this was the reason why Iijima never received the Nobel prize for CNTs

Who pays better than youre dumbass self?

well if I could pay myself i'd have infinite money but that's not physical. The government pays nicely.

BS in EE, I like asking that question because it's a hilariously confounding thing. No one in classes really could explain it well except for me. Yea I wanted to do some R&D but then I learned that it wasn't going to happen with a BS and now I'm like "well fuck." Now I settle for circuit boards.

"Experimental" lol

I mean I don't do theory, so it's experiment...lol.
Really I recommend the book by Ibach and Lueth on solid state physics, it's great. At the end of the day it falls out of the dispersion relation so we stick with it.

Real world you mean?

?

Why doesn't 1s electron fall into the nucleus?

How does specific adhesion work between organic and an inorganic materials?

>field emitters
When are tegs gonna be efficient enough for large scale power generation?
When are vacuum tubes gona have a resurgence due to field emitters replacing the old piece of shit filaments?

Then you're not an experimental physicist, faggot. You've got a bachelor. That's it. Your contribution to physics is zero.

conservation of energy.
Don't know much for sure. I don't do a lot of organic to inorganic interactions.
I don't know much about the field emitters, I just know the VACNTs will be used for em. We give the sample to some EE guys for that part.
I mean i'm about to have my masters and am doing active publishable work with a group of other physicists so what do you want from me? I have presented research at conferences, have a patent for my undergrad university and done plenty. What do you think physics is?

Says a guy who's living in his mother's basement flipping burgers

How does L. Ron Hubbard's work fit into your studies?

He's a moron. But was good at talking to people.

Okay. Been trying to figure this out for a while. I've heard brian greene claim that in an infinite, flat universe the laws of combinatorics guarantee that every possible configuration of particles has to exist somewhere. he calls this the quilted worlds theory. it all makes sense to me, but wouldn't it also require an inifinite amount of matter? does the universe have infinite matter?

How do environmental SEMs work?

How long till we see carbon nanotubes being implemented to create better batteries?

And is that going to be the future of battery techonlogy? Is there going to be something better?

50 years of research and not one honest to god discovery huh? well, ain't that a bitch

Graphene is better

Supercapacitors are probably going to be big soon.
How detailed do you want? I probably don't know more about em than an average user. I use em to look at samples but that's about it.
no need to hate, both have uses and are even better when combined.

Where do babies come from?

i think some birds and shit are involved, but who knows. I have yet to have one show up on my doorstep

The problem still now with super capacitors is still holding large amounts of energy, they are better at output in almost all ways under most conditions but can't last as long.

How to overcome this

Again that's way more on the engineer side so I'm not sure, I just know guys in the department that are all about them. I'm garbage when it comes to power transfer engineering.

>why do things bad happen good to people
youtube.com/watch?v=B5Tz2j8NupM

Which would win, jet fuel or steel beams?

what fuel and what steel