David Bowie

is he the greatest musician of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Z9AlnKV4c8
youtube.com/watch?v=D67kmFzSh_o
youtube.com/watch?v=aDRi30GNFMc
youtube.com/watch?v=9jg4ekLG9Zo
youtube.com/watch?v=Rf0fmqWS-kI
youtube.com/watch?v=sV8IZHYTOnY
youtube.com/watch?v=-m30aaI5Yf8
youtube.com/watch?v=mvstpQGjPPc
youtube.com/watch?v=o6uvYuEyUY4
youtube.com/watch?v=_Yhd_qhIr2g
youtube.com/watch?v=ioOp1rUvLNM
youtube.com/watch?v=NX9Y6aKIAs8
youtube.com/watch?v=FPToRYG-TcE
youtube.com/watch?v=Nzb7ZD7vTik
youtube.com/watch?v=x6MDhtBEmCs
youtube.com/watch?v=6j6Xb93jld4
youtube.com/watch?v=QWtsV50_-p4
youtube.com/watch?v=V1jYO64l0fM
youtube.com/watch?v=QgFwK-DyGJg
dangerousminds.net/comments/that_time_david_bowie_john_cale_got_fucked_up_and_jammed_1978
youtube.com/watch?v=lBCbMPWbMx4
youtube.com/watch?v=N2JTJYDR94Y&t=1997s
youtube.com/watch?v=hv7Y7F-Q2KE
youtube.com/watch?v=RBprICVPzKA
youtube.com/watch?v=FVY2ERXkNgY
youtube.com/watch?v=NnOhBykB-z4
youtube.com/watch?v=v0BgFC3R3-A
youtube.com/watch?v=uWc89nOFGI4
youtube.com/watch?v=QY5q2i41Hx4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

objectively maybe

In my heart he probably is.

subjectively no

I liked Ziggy Stardust and Diamond Dogs, what of his other stuff is good?

everything.

i like this song :)
youtube.com/watch?v=2Z9AlnKV4c8

fair enough

1969-1980 and 1991-2016

He is definitely in the conversation which is saying a lot

My fav is low, check it out

Start with The Man Who Sold The World and Hunky Dory.
If you like TMSTW move on to Lodger and Scary Monsters.
If you like Hunky Dory you'll love Aladdin Sane and Young Americans and Station to Station.
After Station to Station you can compete The Berlin Trilogy.
Then if you liked all of these albums, check his post Never Let Me Down albums chronologically starting from Black Tie White Noise.

Alternatively, listen to these songs and chose an album.
youtube.com/watch?v=D67kmFzSh_o
youtube.com/watch?v=aDRi30GNFMc
youtube.com/watch?v=9jg4ekLG9Zo
youtube.com/watch?v=Rf0fmqWS-kI
youtube.com/watch?v=sV8IZHYTOnY
youtube.com/watch?v=-m30aaI5Yf8
youtube.com/watch?v=mvstpQGjPPc
youtube.com/watch?v=o6uvYuEyUY4
youtube.com/watch?v=_Yhd_qhIr2g
youtube.com/watch?v=ioOp1rUvLNM
youtube.com/watch?v=NX9Y6aKIAs8
youtube.com/watch?v=FPToRYG-TcE
youtube.com/watch?v=Nzb7ZD7vTik
youtube.com/watch?v=x6MDhtBEmCs
youtube.com/watch?v=6j6Xb93jld4
youtube.com/watch?v=QWtsV50_-p4
youtube.com/watch?v=V1jYO64l0fM

I didn't include Blackstar, listen to that album after you've heard most of these albums.

As a musician he is pretty average. He only played the guitar and a little sax.

As a songwriter however he is second only to Lennon/McCartney as the greatest of all time.

david bowie is the current generation's first baby step into actually nice music music.

yes hes a fine musician and all. however his newer fans are now young teens, many of his original and older fanbase are either dead or have moved on to other artists.

thankfully bowie is only a stepping point for what kids get into and once they listen to him, their taste will broaden and move away from bowie. give it 1 or two more years and the people always talking about how great he was, will have moved on from him. until then we have to constantly hear how great he was

Maybe chill for once in a while. Obsessions might vary, but they will still like him probably.

I miss him
>Iggy will retire soon

Nah. You're just a hipster. I liked Bowie from an early age, then branched out in various ways depending on my favourite albums of his, but I have always ended up coming back to his work. The songwriting is simply far better than any of the artists I discovered through him. Yes, some of those artists may have more unique and interesting instrumentation or sound, but Bowie's songwriting and the personality he injected into his music is ultimately more endearing.

He reminds me of The Beatles in that he influenced countless artists with his creativity, yet remains better than them all despite being the first to explore the ideas that others went on to flesh out.

I prefer musicians who aren't dead, to be perfectly honest.

One of the best for sure.

Hunky Dory (1971)
Aladdin Sane (1973)
Young Americans (1975)
Station to Station (1976)
Low (1977)
"Heroes" (1977)
Lodger (1979)
Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (1980)
Let's Dance (1983)
Earthling (1997)
Hours (1999)
Heathen (2002)
Reality (2003)
The Next Day (2013)
Blackstar (2016)

that's idiotic. Where Are We Now? was a hit. If an artist can still acquire a new audience and hold on to his roots, I think he/she is pretty successful. And Bowie didn't only do that with The Next Day. He did it with Young Americans, Low, Let's Dance, Black Tie White Noise, 1. Outside and Heathen. Every time he changed his approach to music in a way that it didn't really dent his career (except for Never Let Me Down).

>If something is entry-level it's inherently inferior to more obscure stuff

Kill yourself.

>*steals your guitarist*

He's one of the greatest performers of all time, not really a great musician

he really enjoyed working with Bowie
and you're probably right

'Hours' is secretly his most beautiful release

True, and he said he was thinking of a reunion before Bowie died. :(

This

Most of his songs were written by other people

I remember watching The VH1 storytellers performance was amazing.
youtube.com/watch?v=QgFwK-DyGJg
>his most beautiful release
I agree, the songs are sentimental and might come off as cheesy but when you compare it to 1. Outside and Earthling, you can see the difference in the songwriting in 'Hours...' which in my opinion, sets the tone for his next albums.

He played piano and did the synthesizer instrumentation on most of his albums. Not to mention he's a really good singer which non singer plebs somehow think is not a musical talent.

I don't think he's one of the consistently best song writers, he wrote some good songs but he has long stretches of his career where his best works are long groove tracks as opposed to well composed songs.

really? Man, that would have been so cool. Loved what he did in Red Sails (and DJ). Makes the album so much better. A reunion for songs like the ones in The Next Day would've been perfect.

oh his voice is fantastic. Especially in the Baal EP. Though I do think his voice in Let's Dance is overlooked, Criminal World and Without You sound amazing to me. But I do disagree on the songwriting part.

Greatest? Debatable.

I'd have no problem calling him at least one of the greatest of the 20th century though.

No, but he's definitely one of the best musical performers.

good performer, but he wasn't a very competent musician

Do you stop listening to bands you used to like?
I might listen less often but I still go back and listen every once in awhile. It's like the foundation that I built my house on.

>pretty much listen to everything except almost this entire decade
What happened?

>Earthling (1997)
>Hours (1999)
>Heathen (2002)
>Reality (2003)
>The Next Day (2013)
Outside is better than all of those by a wide margin

The 80's happened

he went mainstream and started writing hits and not songs. Never Let Me Down and Tonight were a huge disappointment. This decade was of him entertaining masses (The Glass Spider Tour) and not making music like he did in the Berlin years.

One of my idols

There are only two problems with 1. Outside.
1) The Leon Suites are much better
2) We'll never get 2. Contamination

Heroes is such a great song. But it's so overplayed and everyone thinks it's a love song.

I need those pants

Berlin Bowie wasn't very fashionable. Outside Bowie was.

LOU REED

I love Lou Reed but John Cale is a better musician.
dangerousminds.net/comments/that_time_david_bowie_john_cale_got_fucked_up_and_jammed_1978
having said that, I think Lou Reed and Bowie's performance in Bowie's 50th Birthday Concert was cool.
youtube.com/watch?v=lBCbMPWbMx4

Let's discuss Black Tie White Noise shall we?
I think the tracks
>You've Been Around
>I Feel Free
>Jump They Say ( and can I just say, Bowie looks very handsome in the video )
>Nite Flights
>Pallas Athena
>I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
are all great

What was his best look?
What was his worst look?

I may also discuss how to improve weaker Bowie albums later in the thread.

Anything that's not Pinups, Tin Machine, and Never Let Me Down deserve a fair listen.

>Outside is better than Heathen
Fuck off.

>Anything that's not Pinups, Tin Machine, and Never Let Me Down deserve a fair listen.
you're right, except for the Tin Machine part. The performances of that band are great.

>What was his best look?
All of them, except for when he shaved off his eyebrows.

1975-1976 is absolutely perfect. No worse look because he was always great

>What was his best look?
1976-1980
>What was his worst look?
Halloween Jack

not true btw

Bowie is my nigga, beam me up Tom

Anyone hear ever listened to this? Thoughts?

"I'm happy. Hope you're happy, too."

Anyone who doesn’t like any Bowie can’t be trusted

my mum loved Bowie. Got my first Bowie disc (Black Tie White Noise) from her.

I should not have laughed at this

post rare bowies

It's sad how Bowie didn't go on tour for Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps). But god damn, what a solid run. Can you imagine, making Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Lodger, Scary Monsters and two amazing tours Isolar I and II?

This album just doesn't click for me.
Am I autism?

yes. how can you hate Low? I'll give you a tip. When you feel very very lonely, put this on and play the whole album. You'll love it. Or just watch Bowie perform it
youtube.com/watch?v=N2JTJYDR94Y&t=1997s

You wouldn't dare!

not really in the 70s he had a good run
same with Prince in the 80s but no the greatest musician is Orpheus that is a given the Gods even agree

ok wait..do you like Side A or B better? If you don't really like Low, start with Lodger and go up the hill backwards.
or if you don't really like these songs, you can skip these albums, listen to post BTWN Bowie and then go back.
youtube.com/watch?v=hv7Y7F-Q2KE
youtube.com/watch?v=RBprICVPzKA
youtube.com/watch?v=NnOhBykB-z4
youtube.com/watch?v=v0BgFC3R3-A
youtube.com/watch?v=uWc89nOFGI4
youtube.com/watch?v=QY5q2i41Hx4

>in the 70s he had a good run
so what about the late 90s
>1. Outside
>Earthling tour
or the 00s
>Toy
>Heathen
>Reality
or even his last two albums?
>The Next Day
>Blackstar

This

It was an acquired taste for me, maybe you should give it another try.

>Implying he wrote his songs alone.

Both sides are cool.
I really like Heroes and Lodger, but I just can't get into Low for some reason.
Eno's work is great, I like AGW, prefer BAAS btw.

Just saw your reply now.
I don't hate it, I just can't really love it like the rest of his work with Eno (or Eno's solo work).

Just saw this one now too.
I already listened to it like 5 times, and still just an average album for me.

Before and After Science is a great album.
I think "Heroes" has more 'poetic lyrics' which keeps the listener engaged. Even if it's just nonsense it's interesting. Maybe it's just a preference thing? I started appreciating Low after I tried Heathen, didn't really get it when my mum first gave it to me. At least you like "Heroes".
There's one thing that I've noticed in a lot of Internet forums that the 'best Bowie album' opinion is based on the amount of hit singles the album had, or lack thereof. But even then Low and Heroes are somewhat similar (not the same concept, but similar in the way he approached music this time). Which really confuses me because people here love Station to Station even though StS was a popular album, while Low was labelled as a failed attempt in avant grande music, especially side two (or actually only 2, a lot of people liked Be My Wife), buy some.

Maybe if you try Philip Glass's Low Symphony you'll like it more? It really doesn't make a difference if you chose Low or "Heroes".

I mean he wrote over 700 songs, ofc few of them are bound to be good, anyone can do that.

Ziggy and Hunky are good albums, that's about it.

>Ziggy and Hunky are good albums, that's about it.
alright

'89 Bowie was pimpin'

Worst is easily '97. Totally misread the trends.

this is my new favorite Bowie pic.

>'89 Bowie was pimpin'
and '95 Bowie

I'm gay for '71 Bowie.

71 Bowie had a good look, but he looks like a druggie in some pictures.
I'm straight for '02 Bowie

he could barely play guitar and his best albums are literally just white boy funk records that are more hallmarks of the producer than the artist. good singer and a sexsymbol, thats about it

Okay since no one here wants to discuss Bowie, I'll do it myself
I think the problems of Station to Station is that Word on a Wing, Word on a Wing have a very forced and fake emotional sound. Even Golden Years and TVC15 sound repetitive as if The Thin White Duke is forcing himself to think like this. Now, you could argue that it makes the album better in some way, that it shows you the terrible state of Bowie in '76, but for me it didn't work. Even Low was a more emotional album.

probably

this thread made me excited to try yet again another bowie album and probably find it yet again 'just alright', but in any case i appreciate the love around this guy

How come Earthling never gets any love or mention. Its my favorite of all of his albums for some reason. Maybe im a contrarian who knows.

>includes hours

>does not include Buddha of Suburbia

Op, based on the two albums you mentioned, you will probably enjoy Hunky Dory and Aladdin Sane. But you really just need to hear 1969-1980 in that order.

agreed