Excuse my paint skills but why hasn't anyone thought of this...

Excuse my paint skills but why hasn't anyone thought of this? yellow squares are turbines that can open and close when needed

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_stream_generator
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_power
washington.edu/news/2017/05/31/support-for-tidal-energy-is-high-among-washington-residents/
technologyreview.com/s/408557/harvesting-power-from-the-ocean/
e360.yale.edu/features/will_tidal_and_wave_energy_ever_live_up_to_their_potential
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

also, i know not all places have a huge tidal range, but there are big tidal ranges around the world

How do you know that nobody has thought of this? Done any research? Perhaps low yield, failed idea.

excuse me, why?

there are plenty of ways to make energy using moving water

this is a smart idea but i do see people getting eaten up by those turbines

>what is electricity?

Great idea, just no money for big business in it. Can't profit on FREE ENERGY

I think tidal generators are already invented my dude

free energy?

Sihwa Lake Tidal Power Station

tidal generators already exist and don't require a huge cement tank

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_stream_generator

harvest it and sell it
huge profits

it's why it baffles me that megacorps aren't harvesting and selling solar power

i googled tidal generators and they look like underwater windfarms. i assume they utilize the kinetic energy of the waves rather than the potential energy

1. If corporations had access to free energy they would make a killing and would totally want it.

2. This idea is not free

Because it wouldn't be very efficient. More water volume is required for lower water collum.

It only generates electricity when the tide goes out. And is literally designed to chew up as much sea life as it can get into the inlets.
This is retarded.

congrats you've invented a less efficient tidal generator. This could be useful for salt extraction though via salt pans and sunlight evaporation (method has existed since before written language)

insignificant tide rise, you will never get enough water through to make it feasible / generate pressure. You'd do better putting turbines in the tides.

>why hasn't anyone thought of tidal power generation
You're not special OP

cost effectiveness
itll tricle down at 1st, making to power, then itll get filled up quickly and then u relese it and make power for 15 mins
investment return in 500 years

Rance Tidal Power Station

up & running since 1966

um, fence it off? there is also something called a gravitational vortex generator that are safe for aquatic life

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_power

This already exists. I think one of the reasons we don't see more of them is the availability of privately owned beaches. If the government allowed a business to set up something like this on a public beach they'd have to sell off public land belonging to the local authorities which would be opposed by local residents and businesses such as those who rely on tourism or fishing. Also there is often opposition from locals on a lot of these things as they are considered "ugly" which is why we don't see more wind turbines.

OP's a tender lad. A sweet, young summer child with great ideas that will change the world.

They use what you've had in mind. Pretty effective, but only usable in a few places because water has to flow through... for the lack of a better word "under water rivers" where those turbins are stationed.

And when the fences get clogged with seaweed and other tidal debris?

And if you say otherwise you're in violation of invading a safe space and creating a toxic atmosphere.

shut it down clean it out and start it up. jobs for everyone

Dams or even wave generators do the same thing but better.
Sorry but this simply doesn't generate enough energy, points on creativity though.

And the electricity it generates costs ten times more than conventional power. Nice business model you've got there, comrade.

or i'm a bitter old man projecting my insecurities and failures onto retards, i mean, precious children

There is people working on something similar at my university
washington.edu/news/2017/05/31/support-for-tidal-energy-is-high-among-washington-residents/

they're are also doing something similar with waves

oops forgot the link
technologyreview.com/s/408557/harvesting-power-from-the-ocean/

But if we drain energy from the moon spinning around earth where is the energy drowned from? Will the moon get slower? Will the gravitational pull get stronger or weaker?

>And the electricity it generates costs ten times more than conventional power.
Wrong.

Production costs at the Rance Tidal Power Station are 12 cents / kWh

you must be american.

well, yeah, this is a 2d drawing you know. it doesn't show how wide it needs to be.

how'd you know?

This but unironically.

Wrong. This thread isn't about an existing tidal station. It's about OPs retarded MS paint tidal power generator concept.

That is not particularly cheap user, actually thats pretty fucking expensive

Republicans don't want renewable energy. They rather kill sand people for their oil and then pollute our drinking water.

*orbiting, and if anything, the water being displaced upward is already requiring energy regardless if we harness it or not. By this logic the moon should have slowed down long ago

Go back to /pol, junior.

True dat, but conversation of energy is a thing and it would defy our current physics if nothing like that happened. The energy that is absorbed by earths ocean must go missing somewhere on the moon.

My highly scientific gut feeling says that the moon slows down, but it will take a bunch of billion years to fall down.

Explain to a brainlet like me, how does this create energy?

>But if we drain energy from the moon spinning around earth where is the energy drowned from? Will the moon get slower? Will the gravitational pull get stronger or weaker?

Good to see someone on Sup Forums is capable of actually thinking.
But the energy isn't coming from the moon. It's coming from slowing the Earth's rotation. Done in a large enough scale, for a long enough time, the Earth stops rotating. Even smaller decreases could trigger an environmental apocalypse that dwarfs the most dire predictions surrounding "Global Warming".

Here is another one cuz you guys are being faggots and crushing my hopes and dreams. Purple is buoyant object. Green is tough rod. Yellow is the generator. waves move buoyant object up and down, thus cranking mechanism that generates energy. sure, not enough, but place a bunch and they should yield significant amount of energy.

The moons gravitational pull essentially creates a "mountain" of water. This water has more potential energy than the remaining water. If you let that water flow back (as soon as the moon has fucked off) to sea level through a turbine you'll get electricity.

You empty the tank out through a turbine connected to a generator to produce electricity.

>infinite energy

You do realize that having that there removes energy from the system, right?

thanks m8

have an internet

Already exists and it's inefficient if submerged

i'm being ironic when i say infinite but, you knew what i meant. Its potential is virtually infinite to us. Eventually, the sun will fuck us up, but for now we could make the most of what we have without destroying our home. faggot.

how is it inefficient? not being defensive.

/someone else
We currently have roughly 5 ways of generating voltage, only two are actually viable, and the most efficient one includes something to rotate - it doesn't matter how, but any pumping motion is hard (and inefficient) to translate to rotation.

Don't know how an internal combustion engine works?

The others calculated instead of using their painting skills.

It would take more energy to run then it's worth.

If you ask your self 'why has no one done this', it's because they have and didn't succeed.

Good point, but you'd need one GIGANT ass piston device thing covering large parts of an ocean which also shouldn't weight a lot and have virtually no friction.

i am investor from my kingdom in somalia, if you can please deposit check for my grandmother needs and send back to my country i gladly invest One Million Dollars in your infinite energy idea

I hate you

People have thought of this. It's very expensive and hard to maintain. It will eventually become common if oil prices keeping going up.

I think this may be the most idiotic thing i've seen today
Hint... you sell the energy you make...

Do you know what a "business" is? You sell goods or services.

>implying revolutionary new technologies never get thought up and discarded again for reasons.
The computer you're typing on is a beautiful example of that. The First idea for a computer was completely mechanical and would have worked if someone had built it. The reason it wasn't done at the time was because it would have mechanically broken down and was way too expensive, but the idea was correct. Then some years later konrad zuse created the first electric computer.

i remember playing with one of those toys where you pull the trigger lots of times, and the thing spins faster each time. i was thinking of that principle.

Actually good point, this seems like a viable idea to turn pumping motion to spinning motion.
This is where my half cooked mechanical engineering knowledge stops - give the idea to some research institution if you feel like it, it may be a good idea.

1. Average tide is about 2 feet. Biggest tide is about 48 feet. You need a huge area of shoreline to collect enough water at the highest tide. Don't even think about the lowest ones.
2. You want to fuck up ocean ecology? This is how you fuck up ocean ecology.
3. Everything water touches eventually erodes. Maintenance will be brutal.
4. Hugely expensive. The money is better spent on solving efficiency problems on the demand side than increasing the supply side with speculative solutions.

your design makes like no energy compared to tidal turbines they already have.

The drawback is that waves do not operate at a consistent period or amplitude. Generators must run at exactly 60 hz to feed power to the electrical grid and must be properly phased with all other generators on the grid.
That's what makes this an operational nightmare.

couldn't you store the collected energy into a battery then convert that into ac?

Good for you for at least trying to come up with something.

Something for further reading: e360.yale.edu/features/will_tidal_and_wave_energy_ever_live_up_to_their_potential

That's about the most inefficient storage method there is. Also converting from DC to AC means crappy stair-step sine waves.

This could be fixed though. I'm thinking of temporarily storing the energy in some way like pumping water (irregularly) into some tower and release it constantly when needed or speeding up some gigant wheel to constanly harvest its rotational energy when needed. Otherwise condensers or even batteries may serve to handle the peaks and valleys of energy production.
Worst case: you blow the excess energy into the water.

Just low pass that shit and you've got beautiful sine waves.

You're just increasing the inefficiency.

That's how water gets to your faucet. You might as well ask "why don't we all just put generators in our bathtub and run the water all the time? free electricity!"

Every time energy is transformed there are losses. Most often......huge losses.

Something something parallel high pass and rectify again, and try again or something.
Probably not the most efficient, but i don't have numbers in mind about that.

my idea is better

put giant mirrors in space that can be focused like a lens on bodies of water; you evaporate the water that turns into clouds, which rain on deserts and then deserts turn into food which everyone eats and the desert food is natural so it stops turning people gay.. free energy, more food, jobs for farmers, and no more gay.. its win/win/win/win

Fuck the sea life...let's laser the place.

how about, magnifying glass, a bunch of them, focus them on solar panels=more efficient panels. cant solve the gay tho

>deserts turn into food

u wot m8?

Problem 1: Getting shit into space is crazy expensive.
Problem 2: Using shit in space is crazy expensive.
Problem 3: Speed up global warming? #YOLO

nah, getting shit in space is free now, outsource to the elon musks and the government prints $2,000,000,000,000 more Obama dollars, now there's solar mirrors circling the earth

And the clouds formed by evaporating the vapors will block the sun, thus negating the global warmings

well done, you've just invented tidal power, a renewable we've been using for fucking years. GTFO faggot

>And the clouds formed by evaporating the vapors will block the sun, thus negating the global warmings
no

Not a good idea. There aren't any tidal ranges big enough to make this idea profitable. To produce energy, we need energy rich water. To do this we need a significant difference I'm energies between where the water is coming from, and where its going. What you are suggesting is to keep a very limited difference in energy, which would not be efficient in comparison of the costs used to build such a power station. Furthermore, salt water is extremely corrosive, which will damage the turbines, making the plant extremely costly to maintain. It would produce energy, yes. But there are much better and cheaper ways to do so.

Ey OP even if this is already invented. Atleast you are thinking outside of the box. We need more people like you. Never be demotivated to put things out there.

The wear and tear it wouldn't be efficient