Why is this movie rated so poorly? I just got done watching it for the first time...

Why is this movie rated so poorly? I just got done watching it for the first time, this was literally on the same level as the last episode of Twin Peaks, might even be better.

Holy fuck I love this movie.

twin peaks thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x3sZI8k20D0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think people don't like it because it's so different from the show and we don't see alot of characters return. It's really good though if you're willing to look past that.

It was rated poorly because it didn't fit people's expectations from watching the TV show. But also because, let's be honest, it is extremely David Lynch, and a pretty gruelling experience - it's genius, but it's not fun to watch a girls life disintegrate and then she dies.

ACCORDING TO SOME, DAVID LYNCH WENT MISSING WITHIN HIS OWN LOWER DIGESTIVE TRACT, WHILST MAKING THIS "MOVIE".

I THINK THAT ACTUALLY, HE REVEALED HIMSELF; HE ACHIEVED FULL ARTISTIC, AND STYLISTIC, FREEDOM —EVERYTHING AFTER THIS "MOVIE" HAS BEEN "PURE LYNCH".

I started watching the tv show after years of avoiding it because it looked absolutely boring.

I'm at episode 5 of season 1 and I can confirm, it's really fucking boring and nothing special.

Why are people even talking about this decades later? Was everything else on tv so bland and boring that this pile of shit stood out?

The only bad feature film Lynch has ever made is Inland Empire t b h.

Also because it's of a story we've already known from watching the series, while unanswered questions from the last episode remained unanswered.
The scenes from another place started getting silly in the movie imo.

>Why is this movie rated so poorly?

>Season 2 ends in a cliffhanger
>Show ends up getting cancelled
>Movie is made
>It just goes into detail about what we already know
>It's a prequel
>Main character from the show is barely in it
>Nothing about the show's ending is addressed

Man, I wonder why

>It's a prequel
>"hurr why doesn't it address these things that happened during the show"

retard

Take it back

What he's saying is that no one wanted a prequel at that point and he's right.

Both of these. Lynch was planning to do at least three movies and tie up all loose ends. He just really wanted to tell Laura Palmer's story first.

But the movie was just a mixture of too weird and too different from the show as well as not answering the questions the audience really cared about at the time so it was panned.

I love it. And I love movie Donna. Movie Donna > TV Donna. There, I said it. And yeah, dam missing pieces.

Yeah I'd have definitely been pissed off if I watched it when it was released. The lodge scenes are set after the show though, and David Bowie's character seems to have seen evil Coop in the future. Doesn't really do anything to explain season 2's ending, but at least people can appreciate it more knowing that season 3's coming

This. If they bring back Donna in the new season I hope it's Moira Kelly. But let's be honest, they don't need to bring Donna back anyway.

>Local teenage slut is found murdered
>Entire town mourns her while a selfrighteous search for the killer goes underway.
>People's lives in the town will never be the same

w e w
l a d

You moron the issue she's pointing out is that the movie is a complete waste of time because it's just a prequel telling us what we already know instead of actually resolving the massive fucking cliffhanger the show ended on. Suck my dick you prancing lalahomo fagboy.

What people expected:
Resolution of Season 2's numerous cliffhangers
Charismatic scamp Cooper rocking back inside your heart
Occasional light humor of the show

What people got:
Prequel, no world about those cliffhangers
Almost no Coop, but ... Chris Issak?
HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND

I mean, I fucking love Fire Walk With Me, I think it's fan-fucking-tastic, but it's not un-understandable that people in the 1990s were pretty surprised by what the film delivered.

>he watched it for the plot

Third post, best post.

This movie is really polarizing. Some love it, others hate it.

Personally, even as a big fan of the series, I find the movie to be kind of a hot mess. A lot of the plot elements are pretty corny and hamfisted, like the dwarf's ring and the "arm" reveal, and winking at the audience with the red room references in general, like the graffiti on the car. Then there's the fact that it just retreads too much ground of Laura Palmer's story, while not revealing much we didn't already know or suspect.

That being said, the surreal black lodge imagery is really cool, and is exactly what you want from a Lynch movie. The score is great, other than that there's really not that much to say about this film.

The movie gets a lot of undeserved praise here IMO because of how contrarian this site is about everything really. It's not as bad as normies say it is, but it's by no means great.

The scene with Laura and the angel is pretty cool is one image that really sticks with me, I wonder what Lynch intended by showing us that.

>ACCORDING TO SOME, DAVID LYNCH WENT MISSING WITHIN HIS OWN LOWER DIGESTIVE TRACT, WHILST MAKING THIS "MOVIE".

>there are people here who haven't seen The Missing Pieces yet

What are you waiting for?

The ending makes me cry

>ACCORDING TO SOME, DAVID LYNCH WENT MISSING WITHIN HIS OWN LOWER DIGESTIVE TRACT, WHILST MAKING THIS "MOVIE"

Hmmmmmm

I just really like it as a psychological study of a girl who was raped by her father, who really sees him as both her protector and beloved parent, as well as her tormentor.

I fucking love Lynch's imagery and you really feel like you are inside Laura's broken mind.

As a twin peaks movie it's kind of meh.

This scene really made me afraid of teleporation, looks painful as fuck.

I don't understand why this scene was cut in the first place. Why cast someone like Bowie and only give him like 10 seconds of screentime?

See Also, Lynch had over 5-6 hours of raw footage, and he wanted to focus mainly on Laura's life. If he didn't cut all those scenes the movie would have ended up being overlong and quite disjointed.

i hate they replaced Donna and Bowie hasn't any purpose

yeah, it is very slowpaced, indeed, compared to nowadays fastforward shows. But the surreal atmosphera, the topcuties, the mystery andt he pretty convulated story makes it great

>Bowie hasn't any purpose
Fuck off. It's one of the best scenes in the film.

Is there any underlying connection between all of Lynch movies?

Like the red drapes in lost highway, the supernatural mystery men (The cowboy, BOB, the mystery man, The phantom) Flickering electricity, the garmonbozia coming out of the baby when it dies in eraserhead. People turning into other people/identity loss (Lost highway, mulholland dr, Inland Empire)

I am not talking about thematic symbols that lynch reuses because he likes it, i am talking about a story connection, like it all takes place in the same universe

Needlessly gory, needlessly overtly sexual. The show implied very very heavily and I think even outright stated that Leland was raping Laura, but I imagined that to be the icing on the cake of unmentionable eldtrich horrors beyond my comprehension. As it turns out, he was raping her and that's it. A pretty big letdown for me.

It's not badly made but it's tonally out of place with the show, taking all the things that made it fun to watch and taking all the unpleasant, unnerving elements and turning them up to 11.

>same universe
I never liked this capeshit terminology. I think you should always assume it takes place in "the same universe" unless explicitly stated otherwise. Just think of it like being a part of the real world you're unaware of. I doubt Lynch spends much time thinking about how it fits into the "Lynch Cinematic Universe(tm)".
And I get what you're trying to say, I just think you need to approach it a little differently.

>I am not talking about thematic symbols that lynch reuses because he likes it
I'm almost completely 100% certain that this is what it is though. That's how Lynch works for the most part, he gets some idea and just uses it.

I meant what you are saying but i couldn't find the right words for it. it's my fault for being vague

>i hate they replaced Donna
Donna is s pivotal character in FWWM, and Lara Flynn Boyle didn't want to reprise her role, what did you expect really?

>and Bowie hasn't any purpose
Bowie's character served a purpose in the expansion of Twin Peaks' supernatural mythos. I'm sure his story would have been developed further if more installments had been made.

>unmentionable eldtrich horrors

There go those meme words again.

>implying laura's story being nothing more than "raped by daddy" wasn't massively disappointing
I don't get the FWWM apologists
it's a fine film on it's own, it's a bad Twin Peaks film

What the fuck does that mean? You can't just say "it's a bad twin peaks film" What the fuck is a "Twin peaks" film? What the fuck are you even talking about?

>laura's story being nothing more than "raped by daddy"
The fuck?
Her whole existence was a downward spiral of decay fueled by drug use, multiple romantic affairs, depraved sexual life and domestic violence, and on top of that she was being constantly assaulted by a demonic supernatural entity.

And that's all you got from the movie?

I love it. I contest the argument that it doesn't add much to the series, I personally think it adds a colossal amount to the Twin Peaks universe.
For instance; unlike the show it doesn't shy away from the important fact that Laura was raped by her father. The show tells it then quickly moves on to the point you sometimes forget that he raped her. Plus the show blamed BOB more than Leland, which the film corrects by saying that both BOB and Leland are responsible. Obviously if this is the angle Lynch took it was gonna be a real depressing trip whilst the show seemed to just cover it up under a veil. That's my view anyway.
Plus it elaborates on the black lodge and the mythos and the idea of space and time in the lodge being fucked up compared to reality. It doesn't outright explain it of course, but it gives us more details about it and clears some inconsistent points from mid-season 2.
I rate the film higher than the series, I still love the series of course, and it's probably my favourite Lynch film. FWWM started off the whole Lynch idea of dreams and reality intertwined (Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire) so just for that I think FWWM deserves far more praise than it currently gets imo.

>It doesn't outright explain it of course
And thank God for that. As for the revival, I really hope it introduces more questions than answers. Mystery, to me, is the core aspect of Twin Peaks. This is one of the reasons I've avoided reading the book so far - I'm not sure if I want all that background information. I want Season 3 to just throw me head-first into Lynch's crazy dreams and nightmares. It's also why I've always valued Lynch's part of the collaboration a little bit more - not to undermine Frost's contributions - I just think his imagination is the heart and soul of that world.

>I rate the film higher than the series, I still love the series of course, and it's probably my favourite Lynch film.
Same.

>introduces more questions than answers
Fucking this. Couldn't agree more.

>avoided reading the book so far
I finished the audiobook last week. It doesn't actually answer anything desu. There are a few interesting points that are pretty cool, as in a mystery. At the same time though it delves way too deep into this UFO, conspiracy theory shit that then tries to relate back to the town and events of the series. It just sort of adds more without actually answering any of the mysteries. However the whole UFO stuff is quite bad imo, it just felt off.

>However the whole UFO stuff is quite bad imo, it just felt off.
I've heard similar things from other people. Given what I do know about the book, I'm hoping it's not as much an indication of what's to come in S3 as it is a way for Frost to vent some ideas he didn't get to use.

yeah very little of it actually feels like it's gonna be relevant to S3. It probably was just an excuse for Frost to write whatever he wanted as I can't see Lynch using at least 90% of it.

The archivist surmises at the end that all events assumed extra-terrestrial were actually extra-dimensional, as in the lodges. Frost probably wanted to do a deep dive into exactly what Major Briggs was up to and tie it up since that's one of the more lore relevant side plots they won't be able to continue in season 3.

Just like how in the series, the message Cooper receives that they thought was from space was actually coming from Glastonbury Grove

Lynch was friends with Terrence Malick in film school

He was just borrowing one of Malick's classic "hire em, then cut em" techniques

Better than the show desu.

Why the fuck did they raise the price of the book after release(as opposed to the pre-order price)? Is this common practice?

Can someone explain how the movie implies Leland was more complicit than the show leads us to believe? I still think Leland was under BOB's control the entire time, and although Leland might not have been a stand-up individual, I don't think he was a daughter-rapist.

Even in the Between Two Worlds feature on the box set, it's reiterated that it was all BOB's doing.

It doesn't. It shows that he's at times pleasant and wonderful and at times monstrous and violent, meaning that he's not 100% of the time being controlled by Bob. This uncertainty only heightens Laura's horror, which Bob is probably aware of.

It was always $30, but places like Amazon put it on sale because they can. It's still $18 there.

People always point to the "I always thought you knew it was me" line, but I feel like that's either Leland struggling with his jumbled memories of his BOB actions, or BOB himself just toying with Laura.

I don't think it's supposed to be implied that Leland himself was doing that shit under his own control. I feel like the people who think FWWM paint Leland as more guilty than we thought are misinterpreting it.

The most obvious evidence for me that they're separate is the sheer regret and guilt Leland shows in the show when Bob finally leaves him. There's no way that man is the same man who tortured his daughter.

BOB preys on the spiritually weak, which is what the Black Lodge test is all about. I guess Leland was complicit because he was super shady before he was possessed (ordered prostitutes).

Hell, even Cooper failed. Garland Briggs is the only one we know of who "passed" and managed to enter the White Lodge.

Leland says BOB came to him in his dreams when he was a little boy. Who knows how long BOB has possessed him? He could have been under his control even when he was ordering prostitutes, although he could have just been secretly shady.

"Possession" is really not the right word, not in the classic sense. Classic demonic possession is about testing the people AROUND the victim, testing their courage, their faith, etc. The victim is typically innocent.

BOB carefully prepares his vessels. In Laura's diary, there's a bit where she terrifies Audrey Horne's retarded brother by doing an impression of BOB. She also rapes Harold Smith.

BOB requires some level of degradation. His vessels must be besmirched or made vulnerable somehow. BOB in Leland has been preparing Laura since she was twelve. By sixteen, she's dark enough to be ready.

Taking the Owl Cave Ring, though, protects her from being his vessel, so he has to harvest her, instead.

Care to explain how the Owl Cave Ring works? Why did Cooper tell her not to take the ring when he was in the lodge? Does it put a beacon on the owner somehow?

This. People who say the book turned Twin Peaks into the X-Files have no reading comprehension.

>Leland says BOB came to him in his dreams when he was a little boy
Actually, IIRC Bob lived next to him.

That's probably something season 3 was supposed to reveal.

He tells that to Truman when he sees the "Wanted" posters, but when he's dying and BOB is finally out of him, he mentions it was in his dreams.

youtube.com/watch?v=x3sZI8k20D0

It could have been both, or a mix of both. It's entirely possible that BOB only presented himself to Leland, just like he did with Laura.

since time is not the same in the real world as opposite to the Lodge, waht if it was Evil Cooper traveling back in time and telling Laura that?

That's possible, but I think Doppelcoop would have the white eyes in the lodge. Plus TMFAP asks Cooper if he knows who he is and he says no.