Is there something I'm missing? I simply don't get this show. I don't get why so many people like it...

Is there something I'm missing? I simply don't get this show. I don't get why so many people like it. I've never gotten Jerry Seinfeld either, his stand up isn't remotely funny and he never made me laugh on the show. Granted, it has its funny moments from George and Kramer that make me chuckle here and there, I'd go so far as to say it's a comfy show with comfy characters. Yeah, it's a good show. Would I say it's as good of a show or as funny as M*A*S*H, Cheers, Friends or Family Matters? Absolutely not. Is it better than, say, Frasier or Murphy Brown? Yeah. I've always put it in the same category as Home Improvement or Roseanne because to me it is on the same level. So then why does everybody put this show on a pedestal?

You sound like someone who isn't spongeworthy

>preferring Friends to Seinfeld
Sorry, you're opinion belongs squarely in the trash. As evidence, watch every single joke in Friends and ask yourself if anyone intelligent would find it funny.

>Friends
Kill yourself faggot

It was so original and innovative and everything after Seinfeld was so heavily influenced by it, that it now seems unoriginal and generic.

You had to be there.

*your

>Friends
>Better than Seinfeld

Whew lad

I hope you fucking idiots are at least saging this either decent bait, or someone with a mental disability. But because "saging" threads has become some king of lost art, I can assume not.

Not really, I first got into Seinfeld when it was syndicated on ABC late nights and TBS mid-00's and I loved it so much I bought the DVD sets and watched all the extra features as well.

>watch every single joke in Friends and ask yourself if anyone intelligent would find it funny
Does Seinfeld even have jokes? It seems to me that it has mild situational humor and some slightly amusing, but not necessarily humorous dialogue.

>"So how went the date? Did you do the thing I told you to do?"
>"I did the thing, she didn't like me doing the thing."
>"What do you mean she didn't like the thing? All girls like the thing, how can she not like the thing?"
>"I'm telling you I did the thing and she didn't like the thing."
Now compare that to Joey's dick falling off at a casting audition and see why I like Friends better.

That's still a long time ago.

That's.... actually a pretty accurate impression. That might be a direct quote.

No, the characters and jokes still crack me up even today.

This isn't bait user. I told you I thought the show was alright. All I'm saying is that I don't get why everybody likes it as much as they do. If I could understand what made it so popular maybe I could enjoy it more.

You didn't answer the question. I meant joke in the general sense of something said or done meant to elicit a humorous response, in which only idiots could find the "jokes" in Friends funny.

i don't know about that

i never caught seinfeld on TV when i was younger but i've enjoyed every episode i've seen so far much more than shows like friends or tbbt or himym or two and a half men

that's not a very high bar though

>This isn't bait user.
I gave another possibility. The shows you mentioned are actually immensely overrated, especially Family Matters, which has aged horrendously, and Cheers, which was never good.

Joey's dick falling off is funnier than Jerry wearing a ruffly pirate shirt George driving Jon Voigt's car.

Is it intelligent? No, but at least it is actually funny. If I wanted intelligent humor I'd watch M*A*S*H, perhaps my favorite show.

that's true but i thought those were the kinds of shows he was talking about being influenced by it

>Cheers, which was never good

watch it

i feel like watching some seinfeld now but i don't have much time

what are the top 2 comfiest episodes?

You're basically admitting you enjoy some of the lowest form of humor. The purpose of Friends, I guess, is take attractive people and put them in mundane situations so people could connect with them, write surface level jokes that could only appeal to idiots, or not even be funny to people who just watched the show in lei of actually having friends.

The serenity now one is always good. Also festivus.

Meant for

I'll be honest, I've never actually watched it, but everything about it seems repulsive to me. Kirstie Alley, people hanging around in a bar, attempting to get me to care. Fucking rubbish. The only thing that interests me in comedy is whether the jokes are witty, whether I can sense the artlessness, yet genius in the bits. I don't care about the characters, or their personalities, or them having similar problems to my own, or how much it relates to me, (though this can help), or weak attempts at drama. Am I going to keep marveling at the cleverness of the writers if I watch Cheers, or is it just a friendship simulator with mundane, yet relatable situations, and surface level jokes? If it's the latter, I don't car at all.

>Kirstie Alley
She didn't join until later, watch the ones with Shelly Long.

damn this chick is cute

It's ok user, some people just don't understand things as easily as others. Just because you get confused doesn't mean your not a very special young man

That doesn't answer what I said. Seinfeld is great because the plots are clearly in service to the jokes, as opposed to the other way around, or having plots at the service of the characters having relatable situations and the jokes just written in as filler between scene transitions, which is so clearly the case in Friends and I assume in Cheers.

That dialogue is so accurate. How any could defend it is ridiculous?

Just watch the first two episodes you loony donk, most of your guesses are wrong.

Alley is in it for the last few seasons and plays an immature character and grows up.

People hanging around in a bar, well, that to admit does depend on your character.

Personally I spend most of my time in a bar so I like the it. The setting though, on its own's major impact is that the show is free with character relations.

In other words it's not a same-five-character cast every single episode.

>attempting to get me to care

Rarely.

>the jokes are witty

You'll love Coach and Woody then. Diane's remarks are both funny and cute.

>similar problems to my own

Not much of an emphasis, also for such an old show some of the situations are inventive even today.

>drama

Very rare. Personally I dislike drama that's why Cheers was so appealing.

>Am I going to keep marveling at the cleverness of the writers if I watch Cheers

YES YES YES YES

Watch it you won't regret it.

>implying any sitcom has ever been better than Frasier

This is a funpost but it's relatively true. The "did you do the thing?; she didn't like the thing; she didn't like the thing?; she didn't like the thing; but they all love the thing; she didn't like the thing" situations are a bit stupid BUT

I don't know whether it's the way they're written or the way they're performed - but they're very good.

I watching it. The opening bit with the engaged couple was mildly funny, but too dry for my taste. The acting is just mediocre, much worse than Family Matters, some of it bad, especially from Danson's, which was what I thought, as he looks one of those people who just can't emote that well. The cinematography is just sloppy. It takes place in one location, but that doesn't mean it has to be so flat. Are You Being Served is an excellent example of a show that takes place almost entirely in one location, but has plenty of variety in cinematography.

I don't see why you recommended the first two episodes. I could see it getting better, but this was a weak showing. They don't have a enough material to justify one episode, let alone two. Seinfeld avoid this problem by having four plots, meaning it's fast pacing. You might say I can't concentrate, but when it's so shallow as it is here, there's nothing to concentrate on.

Maybe it gets much better and you just forgot how bad the first episodes were. If this is as good as it gets, then everyone, no matter how popular this show was, has awful taste and you're out of your mind to think it's better than Seinfeld.

>You'll love Coach and Woody then.
The characters are too shallow for me to care and the jokes are infrequent and okay, not great.

>YES YES YES YES
lol, no

>Watch it you won't regret it.
True, I don't regret it, but I don't like it.

Seinfeld is the only good non-animated sitcom ever made.