Pele

Just judging from the video alone, where would you place Pele if he played today?

youtu.be/953rOfQ8Y0w

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eyeh8fuf1_g
youtube.com/watch?v=_5MWqPsFWsk
youtube.com/watch?v=UNbta4WzmNY
youtu.be/fK1GEX3IxLg?t=301
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

with today's murder defenses? not even in the top 100

this video is quite good:

youtube.com/watch?v=eyeh8fuf1_g

>le beat up on a league of literal malnourished favelaniggers for 20 years man
>le being rated because of 5 good WC games he had over a 12 year period man

Being impossible to develop a virtual reality simulator to put him against today's highly skilled defenses, you will never know if his talent could have make him evolve and be good today

As of today's football playstyle even Jamie Vardy or Lacazette are better than Pelé

It's of common knowledge that defenses were a joke back then

The Uruguayan defenses are the only exception, Uruguay defenders have been consistent throughout history and they taught the world how to be a good defender

Pele and Maradona wouldn't be worthy of cleaning Torres' boots today

>le be the best player in the most competitive campionship man
>le BTFO yuros man
Everybody knows European leagues were a joke back then

why wold you delete your post when we're trying to have discussion here?

>literal malnourished favelaniggers for 20 years man
>favelaniggers who won three world cups in 12 years
That's a compliment. You and that fat fuck Puskas still cucked by the germans til this day.

This guy gets it. Pelé is overrated as fuck. Puskas was 10 times better t.b.h

>muh he wouldn't do it nowadays
You beat the competition that you have. And Pelé BTFO of every opponent that he faced.

He was a pioneer in taking care of his career and his body to make possible to play at the highest level. If he had modern stuff to help, would've been even greater. Otherwise, some football players who grew up on hormones wouldn't do anything back then.

I thought you were being sarcastic with the "murder defenses" commented. Today's defenses are soft and tactical. There are a bunch of mediocre joke players like cavani scoring 30+ goals year.

>le beat farmers and considered da best evur man

Pele is indeed a joke

why don't you go ahead and name 3 ambidextrous strikers then.

Salty as fuck lmao. Pelé é maior que o Urugay.

Can someone give an Amerifag the rundown on Pele? Why is he so revered? I'd like to learn more about futbol and it's history.

But Pelé would score half the goals Cavanis scores nowadays.

As a matter of fact, i'd say Cavani wouldn't be able to play in any European league today.

Immensely superior anticipation and positioning skills by Cavani.

The truth is hard, i know, but you must accept it.

>/wikipedia/

>more successful than anyone ever in his profession
>served in the military
>doesn't smoke
>doesn't drink alcohol
>heterosexual
>overcame unfavourable social conditions
>continues to work in commercials to maintain a high standard of living, deservedly so
>follows the bible ("be fruitful and multiply")
>will live at least 20 more years

that's why people hate him, because Pelé is the perfect role model.
they are jealous, people look at him and despise him because they can never be as good as him, at anything, in any aspect, especially Brazilians who are lazy and envious of others' accomplishments, always trying to diminish them, always trying to undermine people who are close in order to prevent them from leaving them behind in the favela, a metaphorical favela if you wish, that represents mediocrity and unwillingness to improve. The widespread distaste for Pelé is a sign of both his greatness and the people's pettiness. To appreciate that greatness you must abandon your mental favela, and admire people who are not like your failed and sad self. No, he doesn't have autism, no, he's not addicted to drugs, no he isn't a choker, he's not like you, he's the GOAT.

youtube.com/watch?v=_5MWqPsFWsk

>it's another "everybody gets mad towards REI PELÉ" episode

Go back ti FIFA, you bunch of fatfucks.

Because that would be extremely easy.

Any current striker is better than Pelé

It's just a fact

Try to imagine Pelé playing against current defenses, he wouldn't be able to do anything.

Cavani is garbage, "anticipation and posititoning skills" is post-rationalization bullshit to justify how such a garbage low-skilled players is able to score so many goals because of the soft, vunerable and high line defense of today.

This kills the uruguayan.

youtube.com/watch?v=UNbta4WzmNY

Media, literally.

He was a sell out who did everything he could for money, never paid child support, and bent down to the military regime

>Because that would be extremely easy.

then do it. So I can laugh at you.

>shitguay

Dude... Just shut up.

Bro, seriously?

Are you trying to tell me Pelé has the stamina Cavani has?

Impossible also to compare Cavani's positioning and off the ball technique with awful Pelé.

Then, when Pelé played, nothing of that existed, yes, positioning and anticipation are crucial today.

Harry Kane

What Pele (and Garrincha) seem to have done long before it became truly mainstream was the use of creative tekkers and dribbles to get past opponents. Even by todays standards, some of what he does seems technically sophisticated.

Though this shouldn't minimize the fact that he was playing against players far far below his levelt

I want the fans perspective, not just a list of accomplishments. There is a lot more to impact than just wins and goals.

>He was a sell out who did everything he could for money
Nice to know that football players are playing for love nowadays. Pelé was one of the first marketable players, the first worldwide famous.

>never paid child support
Who cares? We're talking about what he did on the field.

>and bent down to the military regime
Again. And implying that's bad lol. If you don't have what to say about his performance, shut up.

Behold, the "just shut up you province" retort

As if we didn't have more Copa Américas than you.

In a time, back then, we even had more World Cups than you

The you of course caught up, because you're 300 million population and we're 3 million.

People act like scaling is only relevant in weighing that his opponents were inferior to today's players, but they never acknowledge the other side of the coin: Pele would be better today having been raised in the modern system with modern techniques, and modern facilities.

You're basically pushing your own agenda when you consider one and not the other.

is stamina an innate ability now, retard? that's the most trainable aspect of the sport.

>Cavani's positioning and off the ball technique
laughable, if you're going to repeat yourself I'll just tell you to read again

This negro has more WC than Argentina and England together.

/thread

>revisionist uruguayan trying to "expose" Pelé
>his NT never stopped to be mediocre since Pelé started in the Brazilian NT
hummm really makes you ponder

nah, people hate him because he was happily bending over to welcome military dicks in his ass as the posterman of the junta, while Garrincha was much more popular as a guy much closer to the people

dumb pinko is dumb

This. Only retards try to discuss using this kind of excuse. To both ways. Modern players wouldn't have all this stuff they have today back in time and so on.

Bananeira nao sei
Bananeira sera
Bananeira sei nao
A maneira de ver

Bananeira nao sei
Bananeira sera
Bananeira sei nao
Isso e la com voce

But of course stamina is to be considered!! do you want a player that dies in 30 minutes?

After all, Pelé didn't have to run much because he could just stroll past defenders

In all seriousness, how can you rate him so high? anyone could do that back then

Thierry Henry was a much better striker in all fields.

no need to be triggered, Edinho, Garrincha was better than Pelé and he never sold out, that is why you see american fanboys talking about Pelé and no one talks about Garrincha

>ur a gay wins 1950's World Cup against Brazil
>baby Pelé sees his father crying and promises one day he would win for the land
>8 years before
>a 17 years old Pelé wins his and Brazil first World Cup, even scoring on the final
>Brazil the GOAT team now
>ur a gay JUST

Modern-day defense is so good, so strong, so unfathomable for a player like Pelé, that Edinson Cavani is able to score 30+ goals a season even though he's an objectively shitty finisher, shitty dribbler, has shit ball control but since half the teams play with a backline 40 yards up the pitch then when he appears free to score it's due to his "brilliant positioning".

Oh. Garrincha. He was GREAT, but used as the original contrarian choice.

Garricha was a dumb outside the football pitch. That's why he died of fucking cirrhosis of the liver as a literal who for most casuals. Not even Ronaldinho wasted his life as him.

i have to go to sleep now cuz i have to get up at 7am

read all the Capital Letters of all my posts

it's so easy to

B

A

I

T

brazilians

If Garrincha was better than Pelé, then why did Santos dominate over Botafogo?

Botafogo had even more NT players than Santos. The difference was one had Pelé and the other had Garrincha. Everyone who's not an edgy contrarian knows who was better.

El mujicANO

see ya tomorrow friend

How would we know?
He could have benefited from modern nutrition and training as much as any modern player.
He clearly had vision and skills for the game.
Of course modern game is much more demanding and maybe he would be prone to injury. It's impossible to know.

What we do know is that he beat his local competition (favela monkeys) , and also every European of his time (also malnourished?). They all had the same access, or more, as him to proper training and tactics.

If you consider Pele a meme, then you have to consider the whole game a meme up until the 80s, or even later.

you can't

obviously an extremely talented footballer, but it's like comparing roger bannister to usain bolt

>If Garrincha was better than Pelé, then why did Santos dominate over Botafogo?

This is domination for you? Stop consuming 40 year old propaganda, Pelé was never the GOAT like the media sells.

Even Maradona thought Rivellino was better than both, At this point no one knows for sure, at least on this thread, but when you keep repeating the same propaganda about how Pelé is the GOAT and how is on another level no player will ever reach, it is pretty dumb

>Even Maradona thought Rivellino
>Even Maradona
Lol. Who the fuck cares about him and his opinion?

short rundown:

>raised playing futsal
>extraordinary short-dribbling skills
>turned pro at 15
>fast-foward when he's 17 and regular starter
>gets a call for the NT ahead of the '58 world cup
>benchwarmer in the group stage
>Didi and Nilton Santos beg the coach for him to start
>he does
>scores the only goal against bus-parking Wales in the quarter-final
>scores a hat-trick against France in the semifinal
>scores two goals in the final against the hosts, one of which he lobbed the defender inside the area before putting it at the back of the net, a feat that will never be repeated in such an important match

that's the birth of the legend, image the hysteria after this. One could think he was just lucky like Götze, but he delivered, he went on to win everything he could for Santos, got injured in '62 and '66, closed his NT career winning the '70 World Cup not without scoring in the final and assisting that iconic Carlos Alberto Torres goal.

...it is

just look at what each team accomplished with each player.

Because even maradona, who is contemporary to both Pelé and Garrincha, decided the best player for him was Rivellino, and this was before the media pushed the maradona x pelé angle, which was never a thing. So for the undisputed GOAT, he picked a different player than Pelé.

Yeah he is good, but most of the fame and the GOAT status came from the media and how he did that, a lot in the 70 and in the 80s. You have to be dumb if you think Pelé is recognized world wide because he was a great footballer, he went to play in New York , in one of the first stars in the retirement league
kind of parameter is this?so Vampeta is better than Ronaldo?

You cheeky fuck

You CHEEKY FUCK

Lucas Vázquez tier

This. You cant say Pele beat literally whos because everyone else faced the same competition and Pele still blew everyone out the water.

Striker

>heterosexual

come on don't be like that now

Top 250 somewhere

Kek

soccer is so fucking gay
just use your hands you queers

Defoe tier. But take Pele's talent and give him today's resources I'm sure he'd be world class.

It's like comparing Jesse Owens to Usain Bolt. Owens was slow as fuck compared with today's sprinters but they didn't know shit about training or nutrition back then had raced on dirt tracks.

pele was shite. he was worse than jason lee

>Comments are disabled for this video.

haha what a piece of shit
he probably complained people were telling him he wouldn't even be top 25 after 1980

Rivellino wasn't even better than Gerson or Jairzinho. Only a retard would take Maradona's opinion seriously.

Good marketing

You have to remember that back then balls were heavier, boots were thicker and pitches were harder/bumpier. It's easier to look more fast and fluid with the ball nowadays due to carpet like pitches and perfectly formed boots on your feet.

Would Pele be elite now if you got a time machine and transported him to 2017? Probably not. Although i think if you brought back 17 year old Pele he could probably reach elite level. He was a great athlete and it wouldn't take him long to adapt to modern training. Maybe a few years.

This.
>modern defences are so much better
>even though they would get a red card for literally any tackle back in Pele's day

I can't believe somebody in this thread genuinely said Cavani > Pele

Watch 5:00 - 10:00

Pele did it against farmers and carneval workers
Messi does this against generational notable players

youtu.be/fK1GEX3IxLg?t=301

>red card for literally any tackle back in Pele's day

you what

all the way up to the late 80s you could practically murder someone on the pitch and walk away

>you
>reading comprehension

your sentence can mean two things

Adama Traore tier.

Can't argue with this

trips confirm. pele was gr8 in his era but today he couldn't do shet

he's overrated, just like The Beatles

>the way he bounces the ball on the defenders legs

I didn't even know he used to do that.

Is there any other player who uses this trick nowadays?

I just said it doesn't matter who he picked, just the fact that he picked a brazillian player that is not Pelé or Garrincha.

He could've picked Gerson, who cares really, i am just saying for a UNDISPUTABLE GOAT, Pelé never justified that title.

For example if some kid had to pick the GOAT, he would choose either Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi, right?He wouldn't say Koke, or Muller, i don't know.

>Cristiano Ronaldo or Messi

Anybody would, they're freaks of nature. Nobody in history compares and it's hard to imagine someone in the distant future either.

Henry favoured George Weah over Ronaldo Fenomeno.
Footballers are idiots, Maradona is no different, just ask argies about the stupid shit he's always saying.

Today ?

Told the truth

But a lot of "GOAT" wouldnt even be top 50 (maradona, platini,...)

>today
>murder defenses
>people actually believe this

No because that was clearly unintentional

Today's defenses don't get as much leash to hack attackers down anymore but that doesn't mean the defense isn't better. The defenders in all of these clips from pele/garrincha era are all garbage don't even pretend like they're not.

I think that's the only knock against him but pele can't help the level of competition. I still think he could be a goat in today's game as a winger or attacking midfielder. He had godly dribble skills even on fields that are clearly shit. The ball pops up all the time while he is dribbling from shitty grass but he still has Messi tier control. If he played on today's fields he would have the best handling in the world.

nerman ben yedder forlan

This

Talent can nearly always be boiled down to simple control of the ball. If you can hold or move it precisely where you want while in motion you could succeed in any era, and Pele clearly could.

wish I could go back in time and skill on chain smoking, HIV positive full time bricklayers

footballers all smoked and drank in the 80s lad. they were still pretty good

>there are actually people trying to downplay the King

You are retarded really, i don't care about Maradona's personal choice, i am just saying that Pelé was not the Indisputable GOAT, if a lot of people think of better contemporary players than him.
Yeah, that is my point, i am saying Messi or Cronaldo would destroy Pelé, i am saying they are The best players at the moment, without a doubt, and everyone would say that.

And again i am not saying Pelé is overrated, but the Pelé image was greatly improved by the media who had to sold a poster boy for the military regime.

> i am saying Messi or Cronaldo would destroy Pelé

i am NOT saying that*

1. maradona
2.pele
3.cryuff
4.messi

if you dont belive this you are a 15yo fifa player or simply american

Pele isn't even top 5 Brazilian

lel what? it's the other way around. yellow cards didn't even exist when pele played so the murderball was even worse.