"not even Ancalagon the Black"

"But there is no smith's forge in this Shire that could change it at all. Not even the anvils and furnaces of the Dwarves could do that. It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough; nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring, for that was made by Sauron himself. There is only one way: to find the Cracks of Doom in the depths of Orodruin, the Fire-mountain, and cast the Ring in there."

Who cares, Ancalagon got wrecked by fucking birds.

Eagles

Eagles aren't birds?

Why did Tolkien have such fetish for big black things?

Did Gandalf EVER try to melt the ring using ancagalon the black? No. So how is he so sure it wouldn't have worked?

no they're americans

No they are pajaros

This
Ancalagon a shit. Got pussy whipped by a flying shit and a man with a sword smaller than his teeth. It's like a fly killing a human, literally pathetic death.

He's a wizard, not an errand boy between dragons and elven fags

It's just the way it is.

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

Not in Tolkien's universe.

You sound like an edgy tween who's rooting for the dragons.

>dragon of the war of the wrath
Who this?

I am fire
I am death

>proceeds to not be able to catch a few fat little dwarves and a hobbit in his own cavern

hey who exactly is sauron and how did he get to be so OP?

What happened to Kingdom under Lonely Mountain during Lord of the Rings?

He created thread, that's why he is OP.

Sauron is a maia (same specimen as Gandalf and the balrog) who received the powers of the first and most powerful God created.

Eru is the guy who created everything. Valar are the divine beings Eru created that created middle earth and everything in it. One of these Valar was a guy names Melkor who was a mean but pretty powerful. Maiar are beings one level below valar, Gandalf is one and also Sauron is one. Sauron was Melkor's top dog and on par with Gandalf. Melkor was beaten so Sauron eventually became the most powerful of the meanies.

they're raptors

Can anyone tell me why, if Gandalf was equally powerful as Sauron, didn't he do anything big and powerful? His staff was broken by Sauron's dog the witch king ffs

Is Ancalagon the Black actually that big?

he wasnt equally powerful

just because they were the same type of being doesnt mean they were equally powerful

just like radagast isnt as powerful as gandalf

They big birds

Got sieged, Dorf King died in battle, held up a lot of Saurons forces

Middle Earth is just a continent though. The planet is Arda.

Gandalf leveled WIS while Sauron leveled STR.

Sauron put all his points into CHA

i was smoking weed with some homeless people yesterday and saw that their lighter had some sick graphic on it so i asked to see it, was a demonic looking dragon and i didn't know what it was at the time

turns out it was ancalagon, same picture as in the OP and everything

small world

Did you steal that lighter?

nah i wouldn't have been able to get away with it, they totally would have noticed

he said he got it from a friend though so i doubt he knew who it was

He wasn't allowed. It wouldn't have worked anyway- look at Saruman,

Ancagalon was dead when the rings were made.

Actually Arda is the whole shebang, middle earth and the land of aman(no longer exactly a part of the planet.)

It doesn't really explicate but I think when the Valar remove Aman from the regular world that's the point when they actually create arda (which is pretty much just middle earth at this point, and undiscovered lands) into a traditional planet.

>i was smoking weed with some homeless people yesterday
every once in a while I forget who are the people I share this site with
thanks user, I was overdue a break from Sup Forums

Staff breaking isn't in the books.

Well, yeah. That's a bit vague, but I still think Aman counts as a part of Arda.

bravo

they're not bad people, they also aren't social retards or anything like that who are hard to understand or relate to (they've apparently only been homeless the past few years, so they have knowledge of or opinions on movies, shows, music etc)

This, all he ever did was basically manipulate people through his pretty words and looks.
He got fucked up by a dog, ffs

>we'll never get a proper high dragon fucking shit up in an epic fantasy movie
Still bitter they made him a fucking wyvern.

No, the really ancient legends are as much myth as history.

Smaug is a wyrm though, so either way is wrong

The setting was flat during the Ages of the Lamps and Trees, it only became our current spherical planet after the destruction of Numenor and the removal of Aman.

No, smaug is canonically six limbed. Here is Tolkien's sketch of his death.

There's even a sketch of him on the map they show in the Hobbit movie showing him with six limbs...

Wyrms have 6 limbs though...

Wyrms don't have any limbs, Smaug is a dragon.

>Wyrms don't have any limbs
You're an idiot, get your head out of D&D. Fafnir (almost the exact same shit as Smaug) is a fucking wyrm and has wings and legs, Smaug is called a fucking wyrm (worm) in the text of The Hobbit

Wyrm is just a Norse description of Fafnir's ultimate lowliness, you daft cunt.
He was nothing but a greedy worm.

They can have. And are also dragons

>wyrm (worm) in the text of The Hobbit

As an insult, like I might call you a chimp.

I don't play D&D, but the designation of Wyrm / Orm / Wurm as being limbless is etymologically derived from the name, which is a cognate of worm.

Especially since Tolkien drew him as a dragon.

No, the different terms for "dragon" are distinguished by the cultures in which they were depicted. Wyrms are just the Germanic version of dragons and were depicted with all sorts of limb arrangements

>Tolkien have such fetish for big black things

More like a fetish for racist stereotypes, he said himself he saw the Dwarves as Jews.

The Orcs and the Sand Niggers are the african hoards and the eastern hoards.

The elves are smart british people who elevate them selves from the unwashed hoards.

The Humans are the american unwashed hoards.

The wizards are the angels.

The trees are literal nature, yeah I know how original.

The hobbits are some or another.

How many fucking angels can dance on the head of who gives a shit

Jesus Christ.

A wyvern is a dragon

I do. What's your problem, mate?

>be retarded
>try to correct people
>get shit wrong
>get corrected
>w-w-well nobody cares!
Every time.

The hobbits are child like wonder

so a wyrm is a dragon without gold?

>who gives a shit
The people in the discussion you dont contribute to

If you want to get really fucking autistic about this he's a drake

Okay, I'll correct myself. He drew the dragon with 2 'arms' 2 'legs' and 2 'wings'.

He doesn't look like he wrecked any Spanish Armadas to me, m8

>Applying autistic British heraldry rules to a fucking fantasy world where said rules don't exist
Is it scaly and breaths fire? It's a dragon

>4 legs
>Wyvern

Moreover...

Well, not in the movie obviously

>“Revenge!” he snorted, and the light of his eyes lit the hall from floor to ceiling like scarlet lightning. “Revenge! The King under the Mountain is dead and where are his kin that dare seek revenge? Girion Lord of Dale is dead, and I have eaten his people like a wolf among sheep, and where are his sons’ sons that dare approach me? I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. Then I was but young and tender. Now I am old and strong, strong, strong, Thief in the Shadows!” he gloated. “My armour is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!”

Hackson really fucked up Smaug.

yea except that wasn't me dumbass, these threads happen all the time and never cease to be fucking stupid. There is no universal fucking fantasy law, each lore is separate.

which is why saying "this type of dragon has this exact amount of limbs" fucking retarded

Was Smaug a dragon or a wyrm?

no, it is lore specific. Maybe Tolkien was one way and D&D is another way and Chinese folk tales are another way.

Help!

What happened to ancalagons corpse then? Wouldn't his massive bones still cover whatever mountain tops they fell on? Why was it never seen huge and massive in the far off distance of any of the 6 films?

Continental Europe makes no distinction between wyverns and dragons, it's an entirely anglo meme born from Heraldry rules. Which is odd because you don't see people getting autistic when a sea horse isn't a fucking horse with a fish tail

Yes, exactly. which is why saying "this type of dragon has this exact amount of limbs" fucking retarded

Both

neither

A drider

In Tolkien's mythos dragons have 4 legs and wings. Fact.

can some lorefags explain if that picture is just a representation of their power on all levels? or were some of the old powerful dragons much larger ?

nope. In tolkiens mythos there are still different types of dragons

Nah. In French a "vouivre" (wyvern) is a winged serpent with no arms or legs, distinctly different from a dragon.

>and wings
Spotted a retard, flightless dragons like Glaurung are still called dragons in the Silmarillion

UUUU are a big dragon

It's an actual size chart. I remember Glaurung being much more ancient than Ancalagon however.

But that's wrong though. Glaurung is a dragon that doesn't have wings.

He died in angband (melkors fortress mountain range) which was destroyed by Eru during the war of wrath after Tulkas beat Melkor into a pulp with his bare hands.

I think Ancalagon is the largest, but it never says in the material that he was the most powerful dragon if i recall. Just that he was the most scary or fearsome.

In Italy we have the Viverna (wyvern), which is a dragon-like creature with wings and two posterior legs.

>but it never says in the material that he was the most powerful dragon if i recall
Greatest of the winged dragons, so possibly there existed stronger wingless ones

I should have specified, it's heraldry rules, where as Britain goes into autistic detail about variants of lizards breathing fire (like Lindworms and Wyverns being literally the same fucking thing image wise but Brits still make a distinction) traditionally continental Europe just called it a dragon