Will a .50 cal handgun stop a bear? Want to go hiking without a heavy rifle or shotgun

Will a .50 cal handgun stop a bear? Want to go hiking without a heavy rifle or shotgun.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PWYV7bYUXcA
youtube.com/watch?v=nlujz6ie5-8
youtube.com/watch?v=sCmX5R7KDFM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes.

Have you strong wrists?

Of course! Just be prepared for the punch it packs!

This.

Depends on how good of a shot you are under pressure, head shot gunna bring that fucker down if you're precise enough. If your not you're gonna just piss him off but at least heed eat your face off quicker so not all bad.

Yes. Used to shoot with 12 gauge rifled slugs with a pistol grip shotgun with no butt stock.

Not only will it blow a bears head clean off, it break your weak wrists and dislocate your shoulder.

A friend has a 500 smith and it will kill anything walking the earth with the right ammo amd shot placement.

A 44 will work for most of the lower 48 states. Even a good 10mm with the proper full bore ammo will work and give you plenty of ammo.
I edc a 9mm and live in the woods with lots of black bears. Everyone I seen has ran away scared with the exception of mommas with cubs which stair you down then walk away.

44 magnum is all you need. Will stop a bear but don't miss

Yes, but you are much better off with something in .454 casull. Kills shit about as dead but the recoil is significantly more controllable. Miss with the magnum 500 and you're probably dead. The .454 makes follow up shots more of a reality.

That said, no matter how big your bullet is, you still need excellent shot placement to reliably drop a bear before it can maul you to death. There's no point if the bear bleeds out after it's killed you. Your SAFEST best is actually bear mace. Driving the bear away is statistically much more likely to save you versus trying to kill it. Your best bet is to have both though, just in case the mace doesn't discourage the bear enough.

I shoot my friends stubby 50 one handed. They're not bad. But again I shoot deagles and 45-70 bfr also so I know how to handle recoil. After 6 rounds youll know you shot something but it's not bad. Around 12 + rounds and it's not fun.

Don't shoot bears

You'd have better luck with a knife than a handgun.

I think I'll carry a shotgun full of hollow point rifled slugs then and bear spray.

bring a mare's leg in 44 magnum

.50 NO, .500 YES

You want the Ruger Redhawk Alaskan in 454 casull. Designed exactly for this purpose. I own one with a chest holster and it works well for hiking

Yes it will. You'd do fine with a .357. honestly. .44 magnum is ideal. a 10mm would also do the trick. I know alaskan fishermen who carry 10mm glocks in bear country.

just take a 10mm glock

Yes. But you have to hit the bear.

What kind of bear? We carry 410 slugs for the bear around here.

The question is, are you planning to escape a bear successfully, or kill the bear?

To kill the bear, I agree with this poster:
If you just want to escape a bear, the answer is much simpler:
Hike with a person who is much slower than you.

the chance of you encountering a bear is as slim as muritarts passing better gun laws

better get a giant dildo and beat the bear to death with it

#Notallbears

Be loud.
Don't carry jerky on your person.
Carry bear spray.
Carry a blade if it makes you feel better.
None of this will help you if you unintentionally agitate a bear, like a sow with cubs or a hungry one after hibernating.
Don't fuck up a bears day because you're scared of them.
Over 800,000 bears in North America kill maybe one person a year.
For every 16,000 humans one murders another.

Bear spray is more effective

Get a bear dildo and fuck the bear with it

what will be the bear reaction to bear spray? will it get scared and run, or might it rage out and still kill you in the process?

Go to the zoo at night and try it out.

brings a new meaning to "bear mace"

youtube.com/watch?v=PWYV7bYUXcA

You should test it first, if bullet pierces your skull, then you are good to go

Nigger will try to charge you and see if your a little bitch. If you run he WILL chew a hole in your ass.

I see a bunch of pussies in this thread who have never shot a gun and are giving advice. The fact is, when it comes to stopping power, the difference from a .22long all the way to a .44mag is negligible. This is what the FBI found out, and decided that the best round is a 9mm, because it represented a common round that had the same stopping power as a 44mag or 357. Remember Newton's 3rd law. A 44mag has quite a kick, however, that kick represents the momentum that you are donating to the target. If that target is a bear, that kick doesn't amount to much. This is why shot placement is more important than caliber when it comes to hand guns. OP, your best choice is a 22 magnum with a 6.5 inch barrel. It doesn't have much recoil, and if you it the bear in the right place, the bear will be neutralize, either by running away or dying.

I want to sneak into a zoo and fuck a bear so bad

It doesnt rationalize what is happening, it just knows it's eyes nose and throat burn when it moves toward you. So it runs away Now bear spray is not 100 percent effective its closer to 80 to 90% a gun is 50 only percent effective.

This

What you need is a gorilla

However, if you use a 357 or 44mag, those guns have so much recoil that you might not place the shot properly. You are much better hitting the bear with a 22 than missing with a 357.

I read an account of some guys trying to hunt a tiger from a tree-platform. They tethered a goat at the foot of the tree and settled down for the night.
The goat started acting up while they were asleep. So our hero fried his .22 through the platform, thinking that the goat was being bothered by a smaller carnivore.
In the morning there was a dead elephant under the tree. The .22 had gone in throught the top of its skull.

You two are a couple of idiots. A 22 magnum out of a pistol barrel will not penetrate a bears skull or fur deep enough to cause the desired effect. Yeah he may bleed out eventually but not before he pulls your limbs off.

500 is stronger tho

The Spanish Conquistadores recorded that their muskets had little to no effect on the Grizzly Bear.
They called the bear El Terrible and avoided it wherever possible.

>This is what the FBI found out, and decided that the best round is a 9mm

Cool. So, since when did the FBI determine the stopping power of a weapon against a bear? Humans, I get...but bears? That FBI is amazing!

wasn't the medieval-reneissance gunpowered weaponry generally a pile of shit anyway?

black bear or grizzly?

Are you retarded ?

OP after this thread dies

Un'bear'ably

Oh fuck off. The definition of Pressure is Force divided by Area. In other words P=F/A. In this case, the area represents the tip of the bullet, i.e. the sharpness of the bullet. A 22 magnum is much sharper than 44 mag. Imagine balancing bat on your right hand. On top of that bat is a 40 pound weight. On your left hand, you are balancing a hypodermic needle. On top of that needle is only a 10 pound weight. Which is going to penetrate your hand more? It's going to be the needle because the area of the needle has a small surface area (it is sharper), thus a higher pressure since Pressure and Area are inversely related.

Was waiting for this.

Pepper spray will stop a bear.
Sometimes shouting will stop a bear.

Throw you child at the bear and run. You'll be just fine.

No, at that time, law enforcement wanted to find out which caliber represented the sweet-spot between stopping power and learning curve. They learned that the stopping power that one gets from a 357 is actually not much better than a 9mm. The 9mm had a shorter learning curve, because it had significantly less recoil. In the end, the FBI realized that when it comes to handguns, shot placement is a lot more important than the negligible gain in muzzle energy that exists between handgun calibers.

It was good enough to kill people and pierce their armour at short range.

Think about it from the animals perspective, in general the strat in the animal kingdom is avoidance or deterrance. When animals do kill it's all about overwhelming force and brutality, so if you as a hiker put a 9mm into a bears leg, it may as well be a bb but the bear now believes it must defend itself because that is a serious injury but if you hit them with mace they learn that humans will mind their own until you get too close and then they blast you with pain juice, so the best option energy wise is to just avoid them.

Quints don't lie

>non-American who doesn't know anything
What a surprise.

Make sure you file off the front sight. That way, it won’t hurt quite so much when the bear shoves it up your ass.

If you can get two shots off in time, or land the first one in the head, then yes.

Checked!

With a handgun, it's all about placement. Again, a 22 round tends to be sharper than those of other handguns (obviously not rifles, whose bullets tend to be very sharp). A 22 magnum will penetrate the skull of an elephant. Check this out: it's only a regular 22 long which has much less velocity than a 22 magnum
youtube.com/watch?v=nlujz6ie5-8

What is ballistic coefficient
What is total energy
What is the bait I just took
I will take all these for go kill yourself, faggot

>>/k/

Bears are majestic, who wouldn't want to fuck one?

As someone who's actually encountered bears in the wild and knows how to fire a gun, I can't even respond to this thread. I just put my face in my palm and feel the shame you should on your behalf.

Definately need a gorilla

>takes 7mm mag rounds, no effect

well there goes my back up plan, thanks for nothing remmington

>What is ballistic coefficient
Do you mean the coefficient of drag? Well, the drag will be directly proportional to the surface area of the tip of the bullet. A 22 round is relatively sharper than the other handgun rounds, so it will be less. Even so, handguns are usually shot at short distances, so this is probably negligible between rounds.

>What is total energy
KE = 1/2MV^2 , so notice that E or KE in this case places more value on velocity over mass, since velocity is squared. A 22 magnum out of a 6.5 inch barrel will travel faster than a 9mm shot out of a typical 4 inch.

Will a .50 cal handgun stop a meteor coming to earth that will wipe out the human race?

A bowling ball has more stopping power.
youtube.com/watch?v=sCmX5R7KDFM

The FBI has determined that the caliber is not as important as shot grouping in the stopping power. So, take your .22 pistol, point it at the meteor and make a tight grouping. That tight grouping will stop anything.

10 mm is more practical