Is. vPN essential?

Is. vPN essential?

Other urls found in this thread:

slideshare.net/grugq/opsec-for-hackers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

who cares? post moar

Depends where you live
Also this

Never cared about VPN. Encryption saves the day.

sharpie in pooper

only in places like china if you want access to western sites like google,facebook,youtube etc

In repressive countries like Iran, China, Russia, yes to access free internet, but poses threat to your life and liberty to even try to use one.

In Western countries, it depends on how much you value your privacy, but for most people, no.

Every major commercial VPN provider offers encrypted tunneling by default. In 2018, a VPN is almost synonymous with an encrypted connection.

Without any loopholes for law enforcement?

Listen, a VPN provides privacy, not anonymity. If you're doing illegal things with a VPN, you're still subject to lawful intercept requests from the government of whatever country your VPN provider is located in.

Tor isn't any better for criminal activity, it provides anonymity but not privacy. The exit node sees everything you do and global timing attacks can be used to pinpoint who that is. "But user muh crime site uses TLS"... TLS isn't broken, yet, but it will eventually be retroactively broken, and all those packet captures the FBI exit nodes have been saving are suddenly gonna be clear as daylight.

Take it from someone who works in cybersecurity as a red team pentester: your safest option is to not commit crime online.

You can be fully private and anonymous with ssh tunneling through rooted boxes or sock proxies from a botnet, or whatever, really. Partner this with a long range wifi antenna on public or someone else's home ip and you're more than golden

What if it just freedom of speech?

I want commit crime online (irony)
What to do?

tor is pretty fucking save and the scenarios you describe are hypothetical
a global timing attack cannot be retroactively performed and basically only works against server locations - not single sessions and even then you can just reroute your nodes any time and as much as you want as a user
every single person that got busted using tor was because of human error or javascript, not because tor is broken

recommendations ass to quickly break WPA2 key systems plox

ask someone for the password

so far, yes, but once TLS is broken, exit node traffic logs will reveal shipping addresses and such sent in messages over many illicit forums.

Tor has not been broken, you're right, but so many of the other systems that make it appear bulletproof are nowhere near as safe.

LOL. Nice. I think this is the most likely based on what I know, but I also think people like you are jealous of others.. Trying to find a happy medium. It's easier for me because I'm well off.

So Tor n vpn = total protection?

Until you post about your plans or brag about your results on Sup Forums from your home connection.

If you really are die-hard set on breaking the law online, here's a good place to start: slideshare.net/grugq/opsec-for-hackers

this unironically. not ask but, when you get to a certain level you /NEED/ to start using social engineering.

IIRC, though, you can get in the wifi using the handshake that happens when you quickly reset every bodies connections if you have a laptop who's network card can go into monitor mode and the ability to get moderately close to their house.

i feel like an idiot for asking this but the first thought in my mind was
>why not use BOTH tor and a vpn?
i'm assuming there's a reason you can't have full anonimity and privacy at the same time?

there are things i would like to do of debated legality (i.e. i don't think it should be illegal) but yeah with my level of inexperience, safer bet is not to do them yet...

yeah is what i was talking about.

So people buying weed will get caught yet people downloading CP won't? That seems totally fair...

welcome to america

This is all assuming no pgp or other encrypted comms such as jabber + otr