/daily/ - Spooky Specter Edition

boo.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/I_AM_FISH/stag/to do/
youtube.com/watch?v=DiGAIpONark
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/jah-wobble-jaki-liebezeit-holger-czukay/how-much-are-they/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/virginia_astley/from_gardens_where_we_feel_secure/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john-coltrane/meditations-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/molly-drake/molly-drake/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pierre-fournier/sechs-suiten-fur-violoncello-solo-bwv-1007-1012/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/goldfrapp/felt-mountain/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/billie-holiday/lady-sings-the-blues-2/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jlin/black-origami/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pete_la_roca/basra/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/alexander_von_schlippenbach_trio/pakistani_pomade/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mccoy_tyner/the_real_mccoy/
youtube.com/watch?v=PoJKpE165_w
youtube.com/watch?v=iMyBn22d2uM
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/illangelo/history_of_man/
youtube.com/watch?v=kB9oeBuRMSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=MYE-uJYCbGk
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/раббота_хо/репетиция_без_оркестра/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for gay pigs

ahh! you scared me FISH!

heyhey

new chart time

haven't done one of these in a goddamn MINUTE. if you're a brave enough soul, venture through my "to do" to tell me what I should put on here to listen to throughout the next couple of months:

OR!!! if you have an album you /really/ think I need to hear, feel free to recommend it as long as it's
1. cataloged on RYM
2. has over 100 ratings (flexible)
3. you have a strong enough argument for why I should hear it

thank ;}

Hey! I was gonna do this!

anyway, listen to the new Cornelius album and tell me how bad it is

youtube.com/watch?v=DiGAIpONark
does anyone recognize this scream sample? I've hard it before but can't put my finger on it exactly.

doing a few redos on this one as well, so if you have an album that I've rated and haven't heard in over a year feel free to re-rec it

here's my current chart for reference btw

ehhhh

okay :////

I reheard point the other day and it still holds up

forgot pic xd

death's dynamic shroud - Heavy Black Heart
Keiji Haino, Jim O'Rourke & Oren Ambarchi - いみくずし
Lightning Bolt - Ride the Skies
Otomo Yoshihide - Anode
Jean-Jacques Perrey - Moog Indigo
Plus-Tech Squeeze Box - Fakevox
Eric Taxxon - Endless
Żywizna - Żywizna plays Zaświeć Niesiącku and other Kurpian songs
லால்குடி ஜயராம - Violin

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/jah-wobble-jaki-liebezeit-holger-czukay/how-much-are-they/
Carla Bley & Paul Haines - Escalator Over the Hill
Henry Cowell - Piano Music (give it a 2 ya friken pleb)
Robert Johnson - The Complete Recordings (lost all blues credibility not having heard this btw)
Pete La Roca - Basra
Hank Mobley - No Room for Squares
Pole - 1 2 3
Sam Rivers - Streams
Troum & All Sides - Shutûn

I sleep now

Bull of Heaven - 261
Crying - Beyond the Fleeting Gales
Ocean Machine - Biomech
Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star
Skinny Puppy - Last Rights

holy fuck this is good, please give us a full length

is yamir dead?

no I'm yamir

yeah I'm still holding out for the full andre 3000 x damon albarn x james murphy collab album

any day now

You know the drill lads. Post qt monstergirls, discuss qt monstergirls, write about qt monstergirls. Especially qt ghost girls. No futa, no traps. If you're into that kind of thing, please make your own thread instead.

Nikhil Banerjee - Afternoon Ragas: Bhimpalasri, Multani
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks New York Sessions
Joe Henderson - The Elements
:D

kate bush - never for ever
gene clark - no other
jens lekman - maple leaves
john fahey - your past comes back to haunt you
burrito bros - gilded palace of sin
fred frith - step across the border
OMD - dazzle ships

Diaframma - Siberia (1984)
>post-punk, new wave

Chilly new wave that fails to impress. It revels in it's delightfully cold, dismal sound, yet rarely takes this sound and applies any interesting songwriting ideas to it. The band goes through paths already tread by countless bands such as Joy Division, Siekiera, and The Cure, among many others, without ever seeming as necessary or as intriguing. For what it is, it's a solid little album.

2.0+

Charli XCX - Number 1 Angel (2017)
>electropop

"Boom Clap" and "Boys" are a couple of my favorite mainstream pop songs from the decade, they're perfect, sugar-sweet pieces of melodic pop that stay true to the attitude that XCX has as a performer. Her forays into this style of fragmented, bubblegum bass-esque pop completely miss the mark hit perfectly by her straightforward pop music. I won't pretend I'm a fan of bubblegum bass as a whole genre, but most of the producers here have done much better work as a solo artist or for other artists. I've really grown an appreciation for SOPHIE, and her two tracks here are easily the best (especially the closer, mainly for that CupcakKe verse), but XCX doesn't bring out the stuff she's capable of doing solo or with artists like Vince Staples ("Yeah Right" being one of my favorite tracks of the year). I love XCX's style, and I love her as a personality. Her music has yet to do much for me.

0.5+

gotta do destroy all music

Billie Holiday with Ray Ellis and His Orchestra - Lady in Satin (1958)
>vocal jazz

Yes, the arrangements are often overly maudlin and sentimental, and yes, Holiday's vocals have certainly deteriorated from her heyday in the '30s and '40s. What overpowers these aspects is the power and pain in Holiday's voice, near death and filled with melancholy. Her vocal deterioration is evident, but she doesn't care, she still sings like the Lady Day that sang "Strange Fruit" and "Gloomy Sunday". Ellis' arrangements are over-the-top, yet still beautiful, and complimentary to Holiday's pained vocals.

Frank Sinatra - Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely (1958)
>standards, vocal jazz

I still don't see much to love in Sinatra as a vocalist, he doesn't do much that sets him apart from other male vocalists of his era. Luckily, his arrangements have taken a step up from In the Wee Small Hours, and his grasp on melancholy themes seems much more natural. I can't shake the length here, though, and the tracks have little variety to keep the listener interested over the nearly hour-long runtime.

2.5+

Low - Things We Lost in the Fire (2001)
>slowcore

More of an expansive, eclectic sound than I Could Only Live in Hope, yet lacking in that album's desolate, depressive nature. The sound here is more indebted to dream pop, the dirgy guitar workouts are less isolated and more comforting, and Sparhawk and Parker's vocals take more of a bittersweet sound. Parker is the star of the show here, her vocals are absolutely stunning, she uses them like an instrument to wonderful effect. The band may lose some of their emotional potency here, but they lose none of their songwriting skills.

this theme sucks so much holy shit

>dj screw - 12: june 27th
This bangs like nothing else. Less chopped n screwed than other screwtapes i've heard but the samples on this are amazing, combining the whole thing like no other screwtape.
3/5

>molly drake - s/t
Nick Drake's mom. The influence is beyond clear.
It's Molly singing nice little poems over her piano, she has the sweetest voice and alltogether this is the cutest record I've heard in a long time, the lyrics are on point; her voice is amazing and it's basically Nick Drake with a piano which is all I ever wanted.
4/5

>Ecstatic Music of the Jemaa el Fna
This stuff shreds. You can actually picture yourself being on the marketplace in Marakesh jamming out to the tunes of these people. Everyting is danceable and very fun.
3/5

>Herbie Hancock - Sextant
This is very similar to some of the later fusion Miles did, but layered with Hancock's amazing piano. This is beyond funky and is just a huge trip.
3/5

>Bo Diddley - Have Guitar, Will Travel
Some of the songs here have pretty funky guitar and those are nice, but most of them go on to long with the same ideas and become quite monotonous.

2/5

>Caribbean Folk Music Vol. 1
This is not for me desu, the recording quality is pretty bad and that hurts most songs for me. The few piano tracks are really pleasant, but are too few and between to make this record.

2/5

>Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking
The female vocals here are amazing, but all the instruments really don't do anything for me. There's prolonged solo guitar stuff and I honestly mainly feel annoyed by it. I can definitely respect the craftmanship, but I basically don't like guitar enough.
1/5

>Bessie Smith - The Essential Bessie Smith
I honestly didn't finish this. There's some good songs, but the recording quality kills it so much for me that I can't see myself listening to 2 hours of this.
Will refrain from rating/5

Not that much left, p hyped, this chart has done me good so far.

oh i also listened to

>Loren Connors, Kath Bloom - Restless Faithfull Desperate
The vocals here are again just so good, I'm just such a sucker for female vocals, it's unreal. The instrumentation sounds a little too same-y but I think I'll like it a lot more on relistens, because it is very good and I feel like the blending into each other which fade over listens.
prob3/5

oi!!! now i have to listen to lady in satin to lol, i liked lady sings the blues so should be good.

Ultimate Spinach - Ultimate Spinach
Shivkumar Sharma, Brij Bhushan Kabra & Hariprasad Chaurasia - Call of the Valley
Rocket From the Tombs - The Day the Earth Met the Rocket From the Tombs
Augustus Pablo - King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown
Novos Baianos - Novos Baianos F.C
Ngozi Family - Day of Judgement
Milo - Who Told You to Think??!!?!?!?!
Charles Lloyd - Forest Flower
Hymie's Basement - Hymie's Basement
Al Green - Let's Stay Together
Gong - Camembert electrique
Goodie Mob - Soul Food

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/virginia_astley/from_gardens_where_we_feel_secure/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/john-coltrane/meditations-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/molly-drake/molly-drake/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pierre-fournier/sechs-suiten-fur-violoncello-solo-bwv-1007-1012/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/goldfrapp/felt-mountain/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/billie-holiday/lady-sings-the-blues-2/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/jlin/black-origami/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pete_la_roca/basra/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/alexander_von_schlippenbach_trio/pakistani_pomade/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mccoy_tyner/the_real_mccoy/

i need...

MORE

fakevox is on current chart otherwise added

added all except that jaki album

nice qwerty-core *_*
added

no he's fine a boy just goin' through a lot rn

added thnk for good recs

oooo cool lookin stuff. I think my gf might get me that Fahey comp for xmas

will do :3

>3.5
habbening!!!!!

yo these recs look fun thnk u mang

milo and gong are on my current chart (hearing milo rn actually) but otherwise added all

also pls start posting mini reviews again, it made ur spamposting so much more fun desu

xtc - black sea
chiemi manabe - mysterious girl
voice crack - earflash
wall of voodoo - dark continent
jim sullivan - UFO
Akira Sakata & Jim O'Rourke With Chikamorachi - and thats the story of jazz
scritti politti - cupid and pscyhe 85
judee sill - heart food
paavo - third song of the peacock
pascals - abiento
toshimaru nakamura - egrets
bill nelson red noise - sound on sound

glad you're liking most of them so far!

I added a few of my own but I still need 20 more recs thanks

basra was already recced and the real mccoy is on my current chart. Otherwise all added

yeah i definitely understand and that's fine :)
i guess lately i've been getting really annoyed by the 'music is bad' meme, which has been going on way to long imo and is propagated by stuff like jangle's 'joke' reviews and other stuff. Shit like your megacharts + reviews made the thread and i feel like nat is the only one currently keeping shit up. I've been doing that myself too, which is why i try to type at least a sentence now to keep the thread better in a way.
That shit's good though, so glad you enjoy your current college more being closer to home and stuff :) if i'm ever in yr area we should /meetup/

Oh shit there’s a new skepta ep listening now

I checked RYM and my album is the 11th greatest Tajik album ever released. Wow! Thanks so much guys! I’m truly shocked by how little music is coming out of my country for a talentless hack like me to even chart lmao

Kahondo Style - Green Tea & Crocodiles

>Jenny Hval - Blood Bitch
Been listening to Julia Holter quite a bit over the course of last week so this came at the right moment, Jenny Hval feels like Holter's strange, Nordic cousin in a sense. Hval alternates between subdued, dreamy pop with mesmerizing vocals and more experimental, ambient tracks concerning topics like period blood and capitalism, although aside from the occasionally jarring "The Plague" the album never stops being a pleasant listening experience. The pop tracks do stand out a lot more than the ambient tracks, but the ambient tracks do allow for songs to segue nicely into one another - plus, it's understandable that not every song can be as good as "conceptual Romance." I can see how the conceptual side of the album can bother some people - Hval's not exactly ambiguous with regard to what the themes are - I feel she does a decent job at delivering it in a self-aware, lighthearted way for the most. 3.5

imma bad bitch

are you really suggesting my one joke review every 8 months is destroying /daily/

Great picks all around. Ultimate Spinach rules. If you’ve dug that, you gotta check out Mighty Baby and Morgen.

Jim Sullivan rules

New Godflesh sounding hellish af

New Börk cover is terrible
>listens to Arca once

I would pay good fucking money for a version of this without the female vocalist taking a steamy dump on Limbo Swing

I almost never have an issue with vocals but I want nothing more in life when listening to that song then for her to shut her mouth god damn.

I get it quite often especially after I explored more of the genre of the album I'm coming back to, it's always a relief when I find it as good or better during a re listen a year or so later though.

Why is Roy Montgomery so comfy?

its the cozy way he strums the cozy strings

didn't realise bjork was stupid enough to choose someone like jesse kanda to do her artwork. disappointing

They made Bjork look intentionally terrible /= terrible cover

it's not bad, wish she didn't look so much like a clown tho

Well bollocks, wish she used the artwork for The Gate's single instead. This one looks too plastic.

Is that a bird fetus in her neck

youtube.com/watch?v=PoJKpE165_w

spooky tunes

youtube.com/watch?v=iMyBn22d2uM

Clavietika's Recommended Release for this Halloween

>Creature Feature - It Was a Dark and Stormy Night....
Genres: Synth Punk, Dark Cabaret

Hear it now!!

Time to figure out what all this fuss is about.

finally got the shirt

No definitely not, it’s mostly the knee-jerk reactions that people have to each other about this and that music being bad, it was an example

I saw her live and it was weird as fuck, there was this woman pulling out tissues out of her fake vag and they were doing shit with mirrors and cellphones all the time, I dunno was p weird was also v good

tf is this

added

a bootleg shirt my mormon friend doing his mission in korea sent me

It kinda became a bummer with all the negativity to post here all of a sudden, so I haven’t bothered with reviews.

Or maybe that’s just me. Which sucks because I like y’all

>Album's only genre tag is "Electronic"

Reccing Illangelo - History of Man

if you like Actress you might enjoy this

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/illangelo/history_of_man/

dude nice dude

>Natural Child - Okey Dokey (2016)

Plenty of groups today play retro-sounding stuff and few of them pull it off convincingly and even fewer make it something worth listening to in the current age. There are especially a lot of early 70’s rock revisionists. There seems to be an appeal that resonates again today—be it the reemergence of vinyl, the twenty-something sudden identification with one’s own parents, some similar sociopolitical climate—I’m not totally sure, but there’s some easygoing, groove-based trend en vogue again.

And this group plays a blend of early 70s-influenced rock well and convincingly. It’s a groove-based, easy-by-any-means homage to late night beer-drinking Nashville rock. Picture Matthew McConaughey’s character in Dazed and Confused for a hint of at what the vibe is here: laidback, sees the value in telling a joke, undoubtedly sleazy but not without charm. It combines the country rock of Exile on Main Street with some unmistakeable krautrock groove, especially on the instrumental title track. Despite the mostly playful but not pointless nature of the album, like on “NSA Blues,” a few moments are indeed poignant above all else, like highlight, “Self Centered Blues,” which is unafraid to suspend the revisionist edge. It’s all fun and never flashy but proves that sometimes that’s all that’s necessary.
7/10

The final round approaches...

>borzoi recs.... Nuito - Unatella

i didn't get much emotionally out of this one, which is part of the point of albums like this i think? but i am a sucker for when bands know how to play their instruments REALLY well and go ahead and do so in a very entertaining and experimental way like on here. love the claustrophobic speedy math guitar and drums and bass.... all of the instrumental elements work together as they should. maybe not the most unique math rock album but a fine example of the genre.
6/10

>letov recs.... Ihor Cymbrows'kyj - Pryzjdź Aniele

it's very same-y but also very pretty. ihor has an incredibly unique voice, sometimes sounding like an opera singer, sometimes sounding like he's reaching higher than his voice can match. the synth at the end is an interesting choice. maybe not a great one though. you can hear the clicking of the keys very clearly which i can't decide if i like or if it's just distracting. pretty good
7/10

(1/2)

>cunt recs... Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Shahbaaz

its okay. i like when he does cool sort of acrobatic things with his voice and when the other higher voice comes in and sounds like a smaller version of nusrat singing while standing on his shoulder or something haha. the interplay between the tabla and the harmonium is also cool and has these nice little combined moments of payoff/release in the stream of jammy-ness.
5/10

>rod recs.... Iron and Wine - The Shepard's Dog

ack. no. nonono. it's just everything thats wrong with fake americana imagery masturbating double tracked vocal harmonizing indie folk nonsense.
3/10

sdc and letov make it to the final round! send me those recs

(2/2)

how do you guys listen to whole albums i only listen to a few songs i like from a given artist

Usually I press play and listen until the album is over.
>i only listen to a few songs i like
How do you know you only like a few songs?

youtube.com/watch?v=kB9oeBuRMSQ

i will kill you
you will die

not again!

yes again
youtube.com/watch?v=MYE-uJYCbGk

my dfw costume didnt work out now im just going as dfw

Daab - Dab
HARd MODe:
no fishmans

what's a dfw

dat feel when

david fishmans wu-tang

diddling farvey weinstein

hmm good question

what an awful reply

hmm good reply

post yr weak haha get it

+Keith Hudson, Julia Holter, TMR

post the best spooky albums

the only thing spooky about that album is how bad it is

I don't get it can you explain please

early german electronic is as good as it gets for spookycore

the um

you ever listened to young fathers, coin locker kid, clouddead? that's p much what id is imo

No but I definitely will! I've put off clouddead long enough already

i like that hype williams album
pole is a classic dubman but also a filthy liar

how posur...
at least it has solid space hahahah
messiaen woke af
pole is a classic dubman but also a filthy liar

more like el end me

opinions on Ashra?
should i listen to john maus now

>pole is a classic dubman but also a filthy liar
?

>Nick Drake's mom.
how did i not make this connection before

if u want to
he's like... top three favorite musician ever (whatever that means) so u might say im a bit of a fan and perhaps i would encourage someone to hear him because of this
maybe

Who is this Maus feller

Good Mingu should actually be on my chart but forgot to chart my vynylz
How is that Ornstein?

Great chart man

>opinions on Ashra?
Yes I do.

Thought I was high when I read that for a sec

(but actually I need to relisten to it because it was study background music so it didn't sink in. I recall it being pleasant and worthy of another listen)
Hype for ZEIT (pronounced 'tzayt' btw in case you talk to an irl Tangerine Dream fan and look like an idiot), one of the best early drone albums imo.

he's not a fucking pole at all

good! most of those listens is the 4th piano sonata, it has some wonderful moments

thats a real long way of saying "yes" so ill do it

understood

Lol I only noticed because I was reading the Wikipedia page while listening, the influence is very clear tho, just not an easy to make connection

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/раббота_хо/репетиция_без_оркестра/
Make sure not to get the album called "Peпeтиция Бeз Opкecтpa Ч.2" off slsk, it's the "sequel" and lacks their GOAT song Фeльдфeбeльcкий Poмaнc
the keyboard clicking on Pryydy Yanhole is why the cassette mastering is better than the vinyl mix by the way

Miranda July - Binet-Simon Test

Dallas-Fort Worth

i have problem
i hate to complain about my not having a computer for about the 100000000000th time but
when i search using russian characters on the unofficial soulseek app for android, the app instantly disconnects me and signs me out because of some bug i guess, so i'm not able to download this album. would really appreciate an upload, or you could pick something else. it really sucks. i only had access to ihor because i saved that pastebin you made a bit back with several mega links to russian albums. maybe i shouldn't be doing tourneys without a reliable way to download things people recommend me. hmm. sorry for the fuss.

QUICK GIVE ME 1 (one) REC

ANYTHING AT ALL