Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_chip
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I can't, you are completely correct in your assertion

top: pommes frites
bottom: KARTOFFELCHIPS

/thread

Fries and chips you fucking asshole.

No, above are freedom fries, below, chips.

Hranolky a čipsy ty kokotko

the only thing i call crisps

We all agree, user is 100% correct.

Brit bong alert

>French fries
>potato chips
Welcome to 'Merica, lad.

Chips is the oval ones, and crisps is the skinny little ones.

long tatos and root skins.

what the heck is wrong with you lot??

Seeing as chips is derived from chipped potatoes and not frenched(culinary not nationality) potatoes. Id say you've got it wrong.

DAYUM that pic and almost 8-quints...

/thread
ez

Yet the potatoes on the bottom are much, much crispier, hence they're called crisps, and haven't been chipped from the potato at all nor would anyone call any other mass of a substance a 'chip' when it is that thin.

On the other hand the things on the top clearly would be thick enough to call a 'chip' if we were for example talking about wood or metal, and unlike the stuff on the bottom which is very thinly sliced, 'chipped' would be more suitable here.

i accidentally counted one of the chip pictures as a fries picture but you get the point

chipped potatoes are the first one and crisps are called crisps because they are crunchy or "crisp"

IT‘S FUCKING POMMES FRITES

You disgust me.

check and mate

What the fuck is wrong with you.

And you're both idiots with no knowledge of culinary terms. No sense arguing with idiots.

hahah
where do you live? uk?

Forced to like it.

A little something I just made

2003 called

Not actually possible, that's what they're called over here in civilisation, let the dregs in the colonies call them what they will

Roll

OBSESSED

satanas, asmodeus, luzifer, belzebub, belial, behemoth, your trips are checked

hahaha i didnt even notice, but i think that means i win right? you cant argue with the forces of darkness!

i guess, that used to be the practice here

They are both called chips. You know in what context chips refers to. You just know.

Welcome year zero...

Wait, you fucked up the lyrics!

Crisps are crispy you are correct user

Fucking Britz alwayz tryin to start shit....
Fuck Em....

Potato chips, invented in the USA by George Crum in 1853. First mass produced by the Mike-sell's Potato Chip Company in the USA, 1910. Not until 1920 were they produced in the UK by the Smiths Potato Crisps Company.

Origin, potato chip, USA. Only later usurped by brits and branded crisps.

/thread

kiwi here, they're both called chips

i know, was too lazy to delete & rewrite.
love ghost, +4 internets to you & your good taste in music sir

ITT people who don't know the difference between fries and (British) chips.

3 different things, but Americans ime don't have what the brits call chips, just fries.

They're different.

Good job to you too user, you brought up one of the best songs by them. And thank you.

I think it’s interesting that the uk has different terms for what us Americans would call French fries and potato chips though I must point out that if America had stayed a British settlement then we would call it that as well

Well, not necessarily. Potato chips are an American invention, not British. So there's no reason we'd arbitrarily, retroactively have dubbed them crisps and not chips.

>Potato chips are an American invention, not British
potato chips were invented by the englishman william kitchiner

no

see

very compelling argument, you've convinced me

William Kitchiner M.D. (1775–1827) was an English optician, inventor of telescopes, amateur musician and exceptional cook. His name was a household word during the 19th century, and his 1822 cookbook, The Cook's Oracle, was a bestseller in England and the United States. In the United Kingdom, the origin of the crisp is attributed to Kitchiner, with The Cook's Oracle including the earliest known recipe.

buh icahnt

The book contains what may be one of the earliest references to crisps, in a recipe for "Potatoes fried in Slices or Shavings", which instructs the reader to "peel large potatoes, slice them about a quarter of an inch thick, or cut them in shavings round and round, as you would peel a lemon; dry them well in a clean cloth, and fry them in lard or dripping"

that's not potato chips

>fried potato slices aren't crisps
do go on

Brambor :-DD

quarter inch thick slices of potato are not (American) potato chips. They're too thick.

Chips would "chip" like a chip. Wheres if anything frys would be crisps because they are more crispy than chippy

Chips are the thick cut potato
Fries or french fries are thin cut potato
Crisps are thin slices of potato

8 or 0 roll otherwise i kill my waifu

>quarter inch thick slices of potato are not (American) potato chips. They're too thick.
you mean the idea has been refined since its inception?
that's never happened with any other invention, right?

Most of the time I do use the British spellings/pronunciations but if I called chips crisps and fries chips I'd just confuse everyone I know. Also zee is better then zed.

It bases your search results on your location and previous searches so :^)))))

Idk when you say crisp I think of like the cracking noise a chip makes, fries don't really have that loud snap.

Crisps are actually specifically potato paste formed and fried, so yes those are crisps.

You call those chips because you invented the language, but are the worst at using it.

I really don't give a fuck what silly niggers from different silly nigger countries call things.

not that user, but by that logic edison invented the lightbulb then.

>tortilla crisps
kek

>You call those chips because you invented the language, but are the worst at using it.
>you invented the language, but are the worst at using it.
>the language, but are the worst at using it.
>language, but

Nigger are you serious, (North)Americans are obviously the worst at their shitty English dialects. Most of you can't even spell in your own language.

Top: Freedem fries
Bottom: Potatuh chips

this man gets it

actually, several people made light bulbs before edison, his was just the most commercially viable
about 40 years earlier, a british scientist made a functional, efficient lightbulb, but it wasn't viable to mass produce because it used a platinum filament

that's my point, he wasn't the first,

FIRST TRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

that's also my point, he didn't invent it
he innovated and improved the design, sure, but he didn't invent it

nice ms paint photo shop faggit

Ever heard of the Julienne cut AKA the French cut? That's how potatoes are cut to make French Fries. Geddit? You FRY something cut in the FRENCH way.

Fries. Potato chips. Learn to read.

I don't think it has anything to do with right or wrong I think it has to do with what you imagine when you hear those words at this point.

you prove me wrong

This is now a futa thread.

Nobody cares about crisps

"Potato chips" were invented in the U.S. In fact, they weren't even called "Potato Chips" originally, but rather Saratoga Chips, as they were invented in Saratoga, N.Y. in 1853, and that name until 1962 when two companies started mass producing them and renamed them "potato chips".

We in England are fond of renaming things and claiming they are our own. We call a "cookie" as "biscuit", call "cake" "sponge", "elevator" a "lift", etc.--whereas the entire rest of the world uses the conventional terms. When potato chips started being imported to England in 1979 by the Frito Lay Company (yes, they were never in England ever before this), because we already had "chips" which referred essentially to "French Fries" as referred to in the rest of the word, they had to be renamed here so as not to cause confusion.

Don't ask me why we do everything backwards in England, we just do. Then, sadly, we claim we invented it and that we are right and everyone else is wrong. It's the English way and while many of my fellow brits never leave the isle, I have traveled extensively the world over and understand just how bloody backwards we are here.

>this is british english
>prove me wrong
What do you even mean by that you uber-faggot?

this
and don't forget you idiots drive on the wrong side of the road too and need special cars
it's why you have a very limited selection of vehicles as most manufacturers don't want to make backwards cars just for a handful of fuckwits

"English" is not from "England"
It is germanic. The Angles imported it.
Most imbeciles in the UK think they invented English. That's how fucked up they are there.

The first is pomfrit and the second is čips.
I jebem vam mater. Have a nice day.

So fucking what? This changes 0 about the point that OP didnt even say anything controversial. Op literally presented us for the british english terms for pommes und chips, and then asked us to "prove him wrong".
OP is baitfag, you can't fucking prove something wrong which is by it's nature a declaration and as such always true in the common sense.

black panther
>not that interesting
>still, it's a marvel movie
>trailer releases
>everybody has forced accents
thanks but no

>It literally says french fries in the one on the bottom right
this is the lingual equivalent of cucking

Assuming we are talking about the proper English language here:

OP is perfectly correct in the summary outlined in posted image related.

English is the language as created, defined and continually updated (via normal linguistic evolution) by English people in England, UK.

Whereas we have no objections to foreigners trying to talk our language, they should never be given any credence in their ill-informed and misguided attempts to downgrade and/or otherwise modify the English language.

We accept that many foreigners need to use their inferior and colloquial, slangs, dialects, patois and mispronunciations to better suit their own limited capacity to read, speak, understand or express it, by using any of the plethora of written formats currently in use for the benefit of posterity;

..... but please don't encourage them misuse their limited vocal skills and intellect capacities, in a manner that might allow them to bastardise the one true language of England and the wider English speaking world.

Completely correct.

Top: chips = chipped potatoes
Bottom: crisps = crisp fried potatoes.

The clue is in THE FUCKING NAME.
Absolute cunts.

considering that potatoes fried in grease actually are Belgian,
the correct answer is pommes (frites)

...continued...
-and nobody in their right mind eats those industrial flakes
-if they are manufactured on-site by a chef from pure ingredients, then they are ok (and the chef can call them whatever he likes)

Exactly. Americans are so unbelievably thick that they couldn't pronounce 'aluminium' or 'acclimatised' properly so they came up with 'aluminum' and 'acclimated'

Honestly, a horrible bunch of vapid cunts.

This >fookin wut?
dumbass

Gr8 b8 mate: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_chip

Invented in the UK, in 1817.

Forgot 'muricans like to rewrite actual history

???? Most of us descent from Angles, you absolute retard.

Jawohl!

Not sure why all Marvel and DC shit has to be ruined by making gay this, lez that, black whatever, for social brainwashing to accept the weak that should be exterminated in the natural order of things but for this artificial construct we call society, but frankly it's nauseating.

I don't want a black Jimmy Olsen. I don't want a nignog ghetto story about Black Lightbrain. I sure as hell don't want Ben Afleck pretending that a libfag could be the fucking Batman.

They've ruined the universe.

ja das

Yeah, their inability to pronounce all manner of words is really fucking annoying... the inflection that they put on words is completely incorrect as to how the language was to be used. Such scum.