Does Sup Forums agree that this series is great and makes the prequels 10x better by filling in all of the missing...

Does Sup Forums agree that this series is great and makes the prequels 10x better by filling in all of the missing character development?

yes I agree, now I'm out because I'm only in season 2. may be the force be with you

You're in for a treat because the best is definitely yet to come.

I didn't like it for the fact that the story went nowhere. It's like they were afraid of making their own canon.

Yes, The Clone Wars series is one of the best made pieces of Star Wars entertainment.

What do you mean went nowhere? Obviously we know where it's going to end, but it made some huge additions to the canon. Anakin having an apprentice, Maul coming back and fighting Sidious with his own apprentice, fully explaining Order 66, actually making the clones people instead of faceless automatons, and showing just how blindly self righteous and misguided the Jedi had become are all major elements they added to the SW mythos.

The show does not make the movies better. The movies are still critically flawed.

However, the show itself is very good. It can improve the universe, but subsequent content should not be relied upon to fix an initial release that is broken.

>swings intended to hit their targets
>no pointless fidgeting while waiting for the enemy to finish his flip
>different fighting techniques on display based on the character
Turns out, Lucas was right. Making CG models for all the characters was a good idea.

star-kino

What I meant is that watching Episode I, II, The Clone Wars, and then III in that order is an infinitely more satisfying and entertaining experience than the movies alone. Obviously they can't be retroactively improved, but TCW can provide characterization that should have been in the films themselves.

>Does Sup Forums agree that this series is great
Yes
>and makes the prequels 10x better
No, actually the series makes the prequels look even worse by showing that the problem is not the setting or the characters, is just Lucas.

Absolutely not. Only prequel apologists think so.

>No, actually the series makes the prequels look even worse by showing that the problem is not the setting or the characters, is just Lucas.

This. The prequels are irredeemably shit. They might as well not exist in my book.

No, the show is garbage.

>he doesn't consider these the real prequels

you're missing out

season 3 and on wards yes

Lucas was massively involved though.

The problem isn't Lucas, the problem is Lucas directing. He's best suited when he's guiding the creative and storytelling process (you can't deny that the prequels were at least original and the concept and ideas of the characters were great) but he's horrific when it comes to actually putting those ideas on screen and putting words in the mouths of his characters.

TCW is what happens when you combine Lucas with a good director. TFA is what happens when you combine a good director with people who can't hold a candle to Lucas' storytelling and creative abilities.

I didn't like the prequels much but I loved all the "extra material" they created in videogames and the animated series. Republic Commando and Clone Wars for PS2/GC/Xbox are pretty amazing.

I think Dave Filoni deserves all the credit in the world for making Lucas's super wacky ideas like Space Godzilla into a competent and fun story. They should have let him do TFA, he understands what makes SW great, aside from the very surface level shit which is what we got in TFA.

100% agree.

Does anyone here watch Rebels? I think the story is even better than TCW, but Disney's shit-tier budget is really hurting it.

It's okay, but it's baffling how highly most people view it. For every good episode, there were like 2 or 3 duds. A lot of impressive action, but the dialogue was routinely mediocre at best.

Also, just because it had violence and decapitations and shit like that, doesn't make it a "mature" show. The dialogue was written at a middle school level, and it had a bunch of dumb humor and childish plots/characters

I've only seen up to episode 6 of Rebels season 2 and so far it doesn't hold a candle to Clone Wars. Now that you brought it up I love the idea of Filoni writing/directing a Star Wars movie and hope that happens at some point.

But the point brought up is still valid. Lucas was heavily involved in Clone Wars and the difference in quality between Rebels doesn't compare, and I'm not just talking about the budget. It lacks a certain spark, I love TFA but it was still missing the same spark.

I think the thing that makes Star Wars magic is Lucas' ideas being brought to life by more talented people. That's how we got the OT.

With the exception of the last two episodes, season 1 was kinda painful. Season 2 was better, but really only the premiere, Yoda episode, and the finale were on par with the best episodes of TCW. Season 3 has been great so far.

But yeah, the low budget and different rating (Y-7 instead of PG) are really noticeable in a bad way.

I mean, Rebels so far>>>>>>>over first 2.5 seasons of TCW. TCW would eventually get better, but it started out pretty shitty. If Rebels continues to get better at the same rate as TCW, I think it'll be the better show by its completion

I haven't seen Yoda yet but he looked awful in the promos I saw him in. What I hate about Rebels is how sometimes I can't tell if it's low budget or bad art design.

The episode where they find the clones and get surrounded by AT-ATs in a sandstorm looked great and was a great episode.

Yeah, the character designs are ass. I'm pretty sure in the Yoda episode you see a hologram of another character from TCW and they look like absolute shit.

I'm still hoping Disney will let Filoni release the Siege of Mandalore.

It's hard to tell my own feelings on that. I personally liked the first 2 seasons but I hated the movie and my expectations were lowered because of that. Whereas I went into Rebels expecting the next Clone Wars.

I was just annoyed at how childish season 1 of Rebels was, especially the early episodes. A character would practically describe what was happening on screen in case the audience couldn't keep up. I think TCW gave the audience more respect. I didn't even hate the season 1 Jar Jar episode.

The thing that makes it hard to compare is how inconsistent TCW could be, even when it 'got good' there were episodes like R2-D2 going to a spa. Rebels beats it in that regard.

If Rebels can actually finish the way the showrunners intend then it will probably end solidly. Clone Wars was just starting to get great when they cancelled it, I get so bummed out when I hear about all the badass plans they had for the last couple seasons.

Also I'm glad we can have reasonable discussions about TCW and Rebels on Sup Forums, I tried going to one of the Rebels generals on Sup Forums but it's so fucking cancerous.

>Disney
It's not their call and nothing is holding him back to do so besides Lucasfilm's hidden plans we know nothing about.

The Clone Wars movie was actually the first 4 episodes of the series, it wasn't originally going to be released on the big screen. Just at the last minute Lucas wanted to do a movie so they had to hastily edit together what should not have been a movie desu.

If anything, they should have made the series finale a movie.

Well, it was Disney who cancelled TCW so I would assume they'd be in charge of giving him the go ahead to make some more.

I know that but it still put me off watching the series until 2 years ago. I went into the rest of the episodes expecting to drop it soon after but clone episodes were a thing.

It would never be released as an episode because they would have to give the other unfinished episodes the same treatment to be fair. Those episodes were much farther in production than the Siege of Mandalore stuff was, too; half animated, fully voiced. SoM is just a story idea that would have to be a book, comic or whatever.

If you want to be technical, the SoM stuff is already "made" considering Filoni had to use the plot for it to tell the Ahsoka novel writer the needed backstory, as well as use said backstory in Rebels in a couple episodes. It just isn't in any form that focuses on it and nothing else.

Why do you think they've teased it so much and have waited so long to release it if they're just going to do a book or comic? I mean, they did Son of Dathomir and Dark Disciple in like a year but almost 4 years later all we've gotten are snippets and references to the SoM.

>a character would practically describe what was happening on screen in case the audience couldn't keep up

TCW literally did this all the time. It's honestly what kept me from liking the show as much as most people. The plots and action would be cool, but then they would have the most annoyingly expository dialogue

Because they knew well in advance that they were going to put Ahsoka and Maul in Rebels, and wanted to keep their post-Order 66 story a secret until then. Now that Ahsoka is """dead""" and Maul is quickly losing his marbles, again, plus the Ahsoka novel is released, we have a much more likely chance of seeing a book or comic come out about SoM.

Or, nothing at all, since we got a full panel about the majority of the plot for the battle during the recent Celebration.

tl;dr - they had to wait to have a full payoff for Ahsoka and Maul before considering releasing anything.

New episode just aired and Mandalorians kick ass.

I hope Boba appears and we actually get some cool shit with him and the underutilized bounty hunters.

Wasn't Bossk in TCW? I'm probably mistaken but honestly the bounty hunters should have gotten more screen time in ESB.

It has Space D-Day and Space Vietnam. But no bad-ass Grievous like in Tartakovsky's cartoon

It has some great episodes and its portrayal of Anakin was much better than the prequels.

That said, it also introduced several horrible plot points, such as brain chips in clones, which I will never forgive Dave Filoni for.

All in all, it ended up being a decent series that exceeded a lot of peoples expectations due to the increase in quality as the show went on.

I personally preferred the animated miniseries by Genndy

>Wasn't Bossk in TCW?
Yes.

>But no bad-ass Grievous like in Tartakovsky's cartoon
Bad-ass Grievous was a mistake. Loser Grievous from TCW fit ROTS Grievous much better.

not even joking. the things at the beginning of each episode saved my life.

100% disagree, Filoni is the ultimate representation of the mindset that turned the EU into a bunch of overblown garbage. He's a overgrown child who only appreciates star wars on the most superficial level.

I can slightly recall Bossk in that episode where the wookies are being hunted so that's why I'm not entirely sure.

>Ruined clones
>Ruined Order 66
>Ruined Darth Maul
>Ruined General Grievous
>Lazy, generic naming conventions
>1 in 4 episodes is even watchable according to its fans

Show was trash, Filoni is a dumb pig who's $5 cowboy hat is constricting bloodflow to his brain

He was in different episodes that actually focused on Bounty Hunters. The Wookies arc was just random Trandos to show the species' eternal fight with the Wookies.

No. I see no reason to watch this whatsoever. Everything essential was already told in the prequels, and nothing that might be somewhat essential, (like how Grievous became important, or how Anakin became a Jedi), wasn't told.

The stories themselves aren't compelling enough, at least for me, to watch as self-contained stories.

>Everything essential was already told in the prequels

screw that, everything essential was told in ROTS alone. You really don't even need to watch episode 1 and 2.

>that delta squad cameo
>that episode about the lost commando regaining his memory
>that visor HUD showing up in the show

All the best shows end too soon.

You're rather opinionated and apparently haven't watched it according to yourself.

I don't know if I buy that. Knowing Ahsoka fought Maul is not an "I am your father" moment that is more where it's more powerful to hear it, THEN flashback and actually see it. It was more confusing than anything. Also, why wouldn't they release a SoM book/comic BEFORE the Ahsoka novel (which takes place afterwards) in order to increase interest and boost sales?

I don't know what Lucasfilm/Disney is planning, but I think they haven't released the SoM because Dave Filoni wants to animate it either as episodes or a movie someday.

Well, that's not entirely accurate. Almost the entirety of Episode I could be dispensed with, (as the entire Naboo conflict has little to do with the rest of the series, though the same could be said about the Death Star in Episode IV), but it does give Anakin's background. Episode II establishes that Anakin's a powerful force user and that there's a Civil War, (of course, without giving any explanation whatsoever what the motive of the Separatists are), and why Anakin would struggle with loss.

Magnum Opus Tier:
ROTS

God Tier:
ANH
ESB

Good Tier:
ROTJ
TFA

Shit Tier:
AOTC
TPM

Actually I watched nearly every episode

>1 in 4 fans

Guess that's just you but otherwise have a nice night/day.

Who the fuck cares about Anakins background? Why do we need to know the background of a character of the right hand man of the main bad guy? As lucas said, vader was just some thug. This whole need to explore his origin story is a manufactured interest. Everything you need to know about anakin can be ascertained in the first act of revenge of the sith. His frienship with obi wan. His conflicting friendship with palpatine. His struggle with the dark side and executing an unarmed man. His cleverness in being able to land a crashing ship. His relationship with his pregnant wife. Its all there.

Read it again, I said 1 in 4 episodes is watchable according to fans. Thats not my opinion, thats the opinion of a bunch of people who actually like the show more than i do.

I don't agree. ROTS clearly requires an understanding of why Anakin was so obsessed with loss and his inability to prevent it to begin to understand his actions, (even if he still looks like an idiot in the end). Are you really saying that the only thing necessary to explain the background for Episode IV was Episode III?

That's absolute bullshit.

>Are you really saying that the only thing necessary to explain the background for Episode IV was Episode III

That is exactly what I'm saying.

Well than guess I'm going to just have to take their opinions and yours as a fact and not argue the point anymore.

Man I feel like I just got schooled, thanks nigga my life has changed drastically.

Then how come you guys need to pass around an episode guide to tell you which episodes aren't complete shit?

Okay. I would begin watching it and think. Who are any of these characters? What is Anakin's problem? Why is there a war? How did the Chancellor get all this power? Oh, so Anakin lives on Tatooine? Why are all the soldiers clones being led by Jedi? Granted, all these questions aren't really satisfactorily answered by Episodes I and II, but at least they're touched upon.

>Bad-ass Grievous was a mistake.
Nope, no-force user killing force-user is most awesome thing that can be in SW.

What the fuck are you even talking about?

Yes, I despise the prequels and put off watching this show for years because "le quirky orange sidekick" and more prequel shit. I watched it and it's fucking awesome.

Because there are autists that have to use the opinions of others to base their experience of a show on, instead of just fucking watching it all themselves and making their own opinions instead.

At the very least, Sup Forums is slowly trying to get off the idea of "recommend a guide" and replace it with "just fucking watch it all and skip what you end up not liking"

Dave Filoni is the worst thing to happen to Star Wars. Period.

Also (same user) Ahsoka starts as "le quirky orange sidekick" but eventually grew to be one of my favorite SW characters. I got genuinely emotional when she fought Vader. Too bad they copped out on showing if she died.

I've view TCW show as a good series with some bad episodes, while Rebels is a bad series with some good episodes. The highs of TCW more than make up for the bad episodes while the highs of Rebels really can't. Like said, the lower budget and stricter rating really hurt it.

Well, it's not like the actual Star Wars movies had expert level dialogue or complicated plots. They're entertaining action movies about an interesting story with interesting characters. TCW is more of the same thing and really feels like a continuation of what made the movies great. TCW also explores darker themes and settings that don't usually get covered in kids shows, like slavery, sexual tension and genocide. It also gives some characters like Dooku, Maul and especially Anakin some much needed development. You get to see Anakin slowly turn toward the darkside over the course of several seasons instead of a few movies, and you also get to watch the affect it has on him and those around him. It completely redeems his character.

I hate seeing people ask how do I watch this, how do I watch that or my personal favorite is I heard this was good and what's whatever's board it's on opinion.

People are going to like what they fucking like get over it already.

I like everything Star Wars just about at least for the universe and shit in some cases.

I just want Battlefront not made by EA god dammit.

*Anakin's family was on Tatooine?

>Ruined clones

Literally the worst opinion. Every clone episode was god tier and it was great that they were actually given character development instead of them continuing to be mindless drones.

The fact that they were made to have more personality is part of the reason why I didn't mind the Order 66 change at all.

I feel that the Order 66 change ruined the whole point of developing their characters, that's my problem with it.

Ruined how? The Clones were pretty much given their own personalities and the show emphasized their independence so much that I couldn't see it going any other way.

It pretty much showed that they liked their Jedi Generals a lot and that it would almost actually be impossible to believe that they'd do Order 66 out of their own volition.

True, but I feel like Rebels just needs some time to start getting good and then it might even surpass TCW. I know there were no episodes in the first 2 seasons of TCW that compare to the season 2 finale of Rebels. That being said the show would be x100 better if it was just all Kanan all the time, and cut out everyone else.

>It's been said that the 501st got the best of the war. We also got the worst. On Felucia, the Seps dug their metal heels into the muck of that alien hellhole and dared the Republic to come in after them. So we did, only to be met with the month after month of flesh-eating diseases, shrieking nocturnal predators, and other sights that haunt me to this day. Cut off and for all we knew abandoned by our superiors, our only hope was Aayla Secura, our Jedi commander. Without her iron will, none of us would have come out of that mess with our sanity, or our lives. When her death came, I hope it was quick. She earned that much.

When the 501st was finally rotated out of Felucia, Aayla Secura made a point of seeing us off personally, calling us the bravest soldiers she had ever seen. It's a good thing we were wearing helmets, because none of us could bear to look her in the eye.

I don't give a fuck what you say about Star Wars the clones are fucking based no matter what.

Stormtroopers have the potential to be more than what they are given Finn's intro and all but they think people want to see them as inherently evil and I just want both sides to have good and bad in a conflict.

The armor clones and storm troops have are something special to behold even if clones in film were cg.

don't wanna sound like a deadbeat stoner, but this show is really incredible while stoned

Sabine is the shit nigga and the only character I don't really care for is Ezra in all honesty.

I've always had a soft spot for ayylmaos in any fiction so seeing original Chewie is something special with Steve Bloom's voice.

>It's a good thing we were wearing helmets, because none of us could bear to look her in the eye.

My point exactly. This entire scenario is drained of any emotional weight by the revelation that they really had no agency in the situation at all and the entire thing was the fault of a brain chip.

>The armor clones and storm troops have are something special to behold even if clones in film were cg.

I'm really surprised they chose to do the clones in GCI. I'm building a movie accurate set of Phase 2 armor, and I see no reason they couldn't just use actors in armor like they did with stormtroopers. The armor fits well and it pretty easy to move in with the proper padding.

But on the other hand, the original scenario makes absolutely no sense. Tens of millions of clones somehow kept secret that they were going to be ordered to kill the Jedi? Hell, even Episode III only suggests this was one of many possible contingency orders; only Battlefront went far enough to suggest the clones were actively aware of the conspiracy.

So what? They added something to make it more plausible why they'd betray.

The jedi weren't supposed to see them as humans given they were manufactured but they were loyal to the end.

You seriously expect Sheev to actually command such loyalty they kill everything on the utterance of two numbers?

Not tens of millions. Only commanders like Cody and Gree needed to receive the order. The standard clones were so obedient that it didn't really matter.

YES

It doesn't make the prequels better, it makes us acutely aware of the missed opportunities.

>You seriously expect Sheev to actually command such loyalty they kill everything on the utterance of two numbers?

No, I expect them to kill the Jedi because of them having obedience stitched into their DNA. That was supposed to be the whole issue with the idea of the clone army, that they became more loyal to an individual than they were to the republic as a whole, and when the time came, that individual used them to stage a coup by playing on their blind trust in duty.

But of course that's too deep for Filoni to wrap his head around so we get muh brain chips instead.

As I said, the show emphasized their independence a lot and I actually find it a lot more tragic in that scenario since the brain chip takes away that independence.

The Clones in the Battlefront 2 campaign pretty much have no emotional attachment towards the Jedi. Whereas in the series, the Clones are actually close and bond with their Jedi Generals. Which is why I find there's more emotional weight in the fact that the Clones are forced to kill the Jedi when they otherwise wouldn't.

>We're just Clones sir, we're meant to be expendable
>Not to me

Tfw Grand Admiral Thrawn was inspired by a fourteen-year-old.

What if the commanding officer on the field was dead at the time Order 66 came in? What if I'm a clone with a Jedi, out of contact with command, when the order comes in?

The only way Order 66 makes sense is either A) every clone knew about it or B) they didn't have a conscious choice.

cont'd

Before the brain chip bullshit, there was actually a lot of tension generated between the clones and the jedi after the clones started finding out that one of the jedi generals has killed the clones prime template, Jango Fett. It was a really interesting explanation as to why the clones might harbor some internal malice toward the Jedi, even while maintaining friendships with them.

Again though, I wouldn't expect Filoni to know about any of that.

That in itself is an even more stupid scenario than the brain chips. They're magically more loyal to the Chancellor than they would to the Jedi that they fight alongside with?

And the fact that they're like that just because "it's in their DNA" is an even more stupid reason than the brain chips.

because Lucas thinks CGI is magic and can do no wrong and wanted to use it as much as possible.

How do you have obedience stitched into DNA? Star Wars universe has technology but nothing that advanced.

That idea is dumber than your muh brain chips argument.

Well it's a damn shame. My Phase 2 armor is looking slick as fuck. Just need to finish assembling the strap system that keeps it in place on my body

But that's a pretty stupid reason. Why should the Clones give two shits about Jango Fett? Just because he was their template doesn't really affect anything.

The show starts kind of bad but improves a lot over time and ends at the peak of its visuals and writing.

Thankfully it continues with Rebels with the quality not dropping so much and getting over time like Clone Wars.

I just hope Rebels will continue until season 7 like Filoni wants because it makes the original trilogy and Empire era a lot more interesting for me.

They literally say that the clones are bred for obedience in Episode 2, ask lucas, not me.