Discussion about finland

Identity

Finns have a very strong sense of national identity. This is rooted in the country’s history – particularly its honourable wartime achievements and significant sporting merits – and is today nurtured by pride in Finland’s high-tech expertise. Being realists, Finns do not expect foreigners to know a lot about their country and its prominent people, past or present, so they will be pleased if a visitor is familair with at least some of the milestones of Finnish history or the sports careers of Paavo Nurmi and Lasse Viren. Finns would be happy if visitors knew something about the achievements of Finnish rally drivers and Formula 1 stars, or if they knew that footballers Jari Litmanen and Sami Hyypiä are Finns. Culturally oriented Finns will take it for granted that like-minded visitors are familiar not only with Sibelius but with contemporary composers Kaija Saariaho and Magnus Lindberg, and orchestral conductors Esa-Pekka Salonen, Jukka-Pekka Saraste, Sakari Oramo and Osmo Vänskä. While Finns are aware that Nokia is often mistakenly thought to be a Japanese company, this misconception is viewed forgivingly but with pity. They are proud that Linus Torvalds, the inventor of Linux, is a Finn.

Visitors should also be prepared to encounter the other side of the Finnish national character: Finns are chronically insecure about whether the wider world is aware of the achievements of this northern nation. Finns love reading things written about them abroad, and visitors should not feel uncomfortable being asked repeatedly what they think of Finland. However, although Finns are ready enough to criticize their own country, they do not necessarily wish to hear visitors doing so.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0E3i-kMLCIk
youtube.com/watch?v=XBitEX-8IcM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I am aware of the achievements of Finland now.

I like Nokia phones

Sex

Please read my opening post please.
Here's some more:

The conception that Finns are a reserved and taciturn lot is an ancient one and does not retain the same validity as it used to, certainly not with the younger generations. Nevertheless, it is fair to say that Finns have a special attitude to words and speech: words are taken seriously, and people are held to what they say. “Take a man by his words and a bull by its horns,” says a Finnish proverb. A Finn will carefully consider what he (or she) says and expect others to do so too. He (or she) considers verbal agreements and promises binding, not only upon himself but upon the other party too, and he (or she) considers that the value of words remains essentially the same, regardless of when and where they are uttered. Visitors should remember that invitations or wishes expressed in a light conversational manner (such as: “We must have lunch together sometime”) are often taken at face value, and forgetting them can cause concern. Small talk, a skill at which Finns are notoriously lacking, is considered suspect by definition, and is not especially valued.

Finns rarely enter into conversation with strangers, unless a particularly strong impulse prompts it. As foreigners often note, Finns are curiously silent in the metro, the bus or the tram. In lifts, they suffer from the same mute embarrassment as everyone else in the world. However, a visitor clutching a map will have no trouble in getting advice on a street corner or in any other public place, since the hospitality of Finns easily overrides their customary reserve.

to be continued -->

Finns are better at listening than at talking, and interrupting another speaker is considered impolite. A Finn does not grow nervous if there are breaks in the conversation; silence is regarded as a part of communication. Finns usually speak unhurriedly, even in their mother tongue (the pace of newsreading on Finnish TV is a source of amusement for many foreigners), and although many Finns are competent in several foreign languages, they may be wary of the speed at which these languages are spoken. Nevertheless, Finns can become excited and voluble, given the right situation.

Having once got to know a stranger moderately well, Finns are quite willing to discuss any topic; generally not even religion or politics are taboo. Finland is one of the world’s leaders in the reading of books and newspapers and the use of libraries, and thus the average Finn is fairly well informed on what is happening in Finland and in the world. Finland’s membership of the EU has increased interest in other EU countries, and the common currency, the status of agriculture and the effects of Community legislation are viable topics of conversation wherever two or three Union citizens come together. Though Finns enjoy bitching about the niggling directives of ‘Brussels bureaucrats’ as much as the next man, in general they seem to approve of EU membership and recognise its benefits.

--->

Shared hobbies are a natural topic for conversation and exchange of opinions in Finland as elsewhere, and it can be easy to strike up a lively conversation with a Finn about culture and the arts on the one hand and about sports on the other. Sports is a particularly feasible topic because in recent years Finns have enjoyed success in sports other than the traditional long-distance running and winter sports: there are now world-class Finnish footballers, racing drivers and alpine skiers, and consequently amateurs and enthusiasts in these fields too. Golf has established itself securely especially among urban Finns, even though they are obliged to abandon this pastime for the winter months. This deprivation is an eminently suitable topic for conversation on the part of a visitor who is familiar with the world of drivers and putters.

Fact:

The Finnic race is one of the most powerful human races.

Please respond.
Free edutainment, guys!

When introducing themselves, Finns will say their forename followed by their surname. Women who use both their maiden name and their husband’s surname will state them in that order. Although Finns are conscious and proud of any official titles they may have, they rarely mention these when introducing themselves. In contrast, they do expect to be addressed by their title in professional and official contexts: Doctor Virtanen, Managing Director Savolainen, etc. Foreigners, however, are not expected to follow this practice, with the exception of the titles “doctor” and “professor” if these are known to the speaker. Otherwise, foreigners can safely address Finns using the English practice of calling them Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms, Sir or Madam, as appropriate.

The familiar form of address in Finnish (i.e. the second person singular pronoun sinä, as opposed to the formal second person plural pronoun te) is commonly used, not just between friends and acquaintances but among strangers too. It is usual nowadays for people in a workplace to address each other as sinä, up to and including senior management, at least in larger workplaces. Using sinä is common today in service occupations, too, although older people may resent the implied familiarity. However, young people still tend to address middle-aged or elderly people by the formal second person plural if they do not know the persons well.

When greeting, the parties shake hands and make eye contact. A deep bow denotes special respect – in normal circumstances, a nod of the head is enough. A Finnish handshake is brief and firm, and involves no supporting gestures such as touching the shoulder or upper arm. When greeting a married couple, the wife should be greeted first, except on a formal occasion where the hosts should first be greeted by the spouse to whom the invitation was addressed. Children are greeted by shaking hands too. Embracing people when greeting them is rare in Finland. A man greeting someone in the street should raise his hat; in the cold of winter, a touch of the hand to the brim of the hat is enough.

Finns can kiss as well as the next nation, but they rarely do so when greeting. Hand-kissing is rare. Friends and acquaintances may hug when meeting, and kisses on the cheek are not entirely unknown, although this habit is not generally found in rural areas. There is no special etiquette regarding the number of kisses on the cheek; however, most Finns feel that three kisses is going a bit far. Men very rarely kiss each other in greeting, and never on the mouth in the manner of our eastern neighbours.

PLEASE RESPOND WE NEED ATTENTION!!! I NEED ATTENTION!

PLS RESPOND

Wow this is a lot of text.

Scary

this is the most autistic thing i've ever seen

I always wanted know more about Finland.

Finns are historically cannibals so I don't trust your people.

nice trips

>caring for a place wich unironically doesnt exist

why'd you make this? everyone here could careless about finland

>everyone here could careless about finland
w-what? you know that you're wrong right?

dude what's wrong with you haha?

Barring some reply, the greatest gift I can bestow upon you as your mongolian brother is some word of advice. The apathy is a blessing.

Finland? You mean Western Russia - right?

>All this text about having a cultural identity in a country that is 100 years old.

O i am laffin

not a country, but a people. You also are most likely a descendant of a finn.

Your country isn't even 30 years old, dummy.

This is a joke

I had an Erasmus Finnish gf, pic related. I seduced her with my vast knowledge of Suomi culture thanks to Sup Forums. Best cunt, best grills.

No ??

>tfw no shower dividers

I too am the shower divider guy t. Op

no you seduced her because you are a pedro, notorious fetish of nordic women

mida vittu te autistid siin teete. tulge kohe fug-i. KOHE!!!

and yellow road markings?

But I don't look Chinese - so how is this possible?

I too am the yellow road markings adoring embracer guy

Very informative.

mitä tarkoittaa kohe??

This is coming from a literal, actual asian.

>Finns have a very strong sense of national identity
Very ironic considering you are in fact not a legitimate nation

i love u

nyt

This is coming from a literal, actual swede.

>76031886
Very weak bait.

*breatsh in* *calms down*
no fihgting pleace!

Not even baiting desu

>a swede
>telling anyone about being a non-nation
>while drinking nigger cum from nigger dick

>Nokia is often mistakenly thought to be a Japanese company

damn, the mongol connection is stronger than I thought

How so?

Well but it's a fact that my understanding of Finnish memes and idiosincracy helped me stand out from the rest of Pedros.

Well uhh tell that to Sakari Oramo which also sounds even for me, japanese name.

VERY good post.

This babby province of Russia/Sweden claiming to be a real nation state is just too cute.

soumi

big boys bullying...
but eh, I like being cute.

You are eastern swedes
conquered by russians
You speak another language, but you are Swedish through and through.

t. likes to suck penis

The constitutuon of Soviet Russia stated Finland as a independent nation

>Russians shitting on anyone for being Mongol

I have bad news for you

Still this tiny province managed to beat your ass in the winter war, right Ivan?

But Russia, YOU are the baby nation! Now be nice when playing with Estonia. Adults are talking.

How are we Swedes??

I'm pretty sure Finland is a much more legitimate nation at this point than north somalia.

ok

spain is based

just like others who stand on finlands side.
so fun wohoo!

Pray tell us what this swedishness is, when it's not linguistic or genetic.

xe's just narcissist. Play the cold face bro...

Fake news

This constitution no longer exists, neither does your 'nation'.

This is correct. Sweden and Denmark are historically valid and important cultures. The peasants to the west and chinese tribes to the east of Sweden are hardly so.

Cultural and historical
finnish people are a relatively new concept

>This constitution no longer exists, neither does your 'nation'.

I advice you to not start a career in law. Your talents clearly lie elsewhere.

Yes we do exist

But I admit our independence was taken in 90's

But soon there will be no free nations

>finnish people are a relatively new concept
Older than swedish people.

What is your favorite brand of salmiakki?

Rakastan sinua suomi

Culture is a social construct and finnish people have existed longer than the written history in Northern Europa. And where do you draw a line with culture? Clearly Sweden is just Arctic Italy.

Advise* Thought you lot had a good education system..

Nobody disputes there were mongol tribes living in snow caves in Scandinavia for a long time. Only that these little groups of people are large or valid enough to constitute a nation.

'Finland' is just a small province that gets passed between real powers and cultures. For the moment nobody wants you, that's all.

Terms "Finn" and "Finland" are about 2000 years old

And eventough, if I'm not wrong, we are the second homogenous nation in Europe

How long some term existed doesn't even matter, we are definetily a nation

What you saing makes even no point :DD

Ebin :DDDDDD

Now go back to IRC please.

What is that

>Advise* Thought you lot had a good education system..

Huh. Never noticed the verb and the noun had such a difference. You learn something new every day.

please join us at #kuvalauta

definetely not in your current form
You are not ancient finns
You are a swedenized people who have become swedes though still speaking finnish.
you are a LARPer
The cultural line is grey, you have drifted some, though I still consider you swedes. I deem us close enough historically and culturally to be the same people
Right now you are, though you lack legitimacy

yea no

More like you are a finnicized people, desu.

I was so waiting for haplothings to be posted. Thank you!

While being from the opposite petit the continent myself I can easily tell any Finn from a Swede apart. You are obviously not the same people/ethnicity (if we forget about those fennoswedes for a moment)

>I am become Finn
>spurdoer of threads

*from the opposite side

ur hokey is shit and saunas are cold

Finns are a based people who largely lack the inferiority-superiority complex of Swedes, Russians, and Germans, and also create the dankest memes

also they have the highest IQs in Europe, Uralic pride worldwide

Swedishness is very little to do with genes
I disagree

our hockey is shit and our saunas are NOT COLD. Saunas are so hot here that they killed russian.

youtube.com/watch?v=0E3i-kMLCIk

I don't want to brag, but we are simple people with appreciation of small things. We are people of peace.

>Swedishness is very little to do with genes
t.Ahmed Mohammed Svensson

Finns are good. Every time when in Saint Petersburg airport I use to take a pint of Lapin Kulta. They also sell good processed cheese Viloa.

How are we not legitimate nation?

Just if Putin or someone else says so, it becomes not real argument

>finnish goalkeeping

Have you ever been to hesburger or Prisma hypermarket?

ebin

youtube.com/watch?v=XBitEX-8IcM

))