Never golfed

>never golfed
>want to learn to golf
>too afraid to go to driving range because ill be "that guy"

Everyone is a retard at the driving range. It's when you actually play with people and are complete shit that's embarrassing.

So the driving range is full of shitters like me? Guys that will be whiffing half their swings?

>want to toss baseball around
>dad is dead
>no friends
I just want to be American, dammit.

>actually caring what people think
get over it user, everyone starts out as a beginner and the only way to get better is to work at it

pretty sure you can talk to a coach

After you get decent at driving the ball at the range find a good golf course that isn't strict as hell. Go there Monday or Tuesday just before evening. Shouldn't be many people there and you can practice in peace.

When I was a kid I went to a course in the damn boonies with my mom and they wouldn't let us share clubs. Some courses are just bastards.

Golf is a gargabe non-sport for pensioners and upstarts. You dodged a bullet there.

kill yourself immediately. golf is patrician and anyone who thinks otherwise is a plebian faggot

>tfw would try to do that stuff with my dad when younger and he would just tell me to find friends to do it with
>wonders today why we have a bad relationship

Yes

Golffag here.

90% of the people at the range are "that guy".

Honestly, you'd be shocked.

>want to do something
>be too afraid to do it
>end up not doing anything at all

have a nice life

Not since it got flooded by lower middle-class scum. I've already had to move on to horse polo and ocean sailing to not have my blue-blooded aura stained by the stench of uppity parvenues.

are you at least pretty fit or muscular? Even with very little practice, maybe 1 in 20 of your drives will be really good. That should shut up the people judging you at the driving range.

OP, if you're really serious about wanting to learn, you should really take a lesson, either a couple sessions with a PGA Pro, or through a group intro to golf class that most local parks and rec organizations offer over a few weeks.

Believe me, it's nearly impossible to just pick up a club and go at it. And I'm not even talking about the swing, I'm talking about the basics like grip, ball position, etc.

>I just wanted to watch a minor league ball game before I die
>metastasis already reached left lung

>I'm talking about the basics like grip, ball position, etc.

maybe he should ask ur mom for advice

Practice at the range.
Better then being 'that guy' on the course, holding everyone up. And on the range you think people are comparing 'wow that guy next to me sucks lol'. who the fuck cares.

dont try and swing as hard as you can. Focus on making contact

just go

Golf is one of the worst sports you just 'pick up' later on in life because of how expensive it is.
Clubs and balls and range time and course fees. Shit is retarded.

Jesus op guys like you make me mad

man the fuck up and go play some fucking golf if you want to

is this the mindset you're going to have in your life

most people at the range are going to be focusing on their stuff. they wont really notice that you are shit.

This. Based Norge gods.

Basically this. The vast majority of people start a sport by sucking asshole at it. It's like going to the gym for the first time. You'er going to be lost, and look like a faggot. But so did everyone else at one point in time.

Aren't driving ranges for people to drink and fuck around?

>fit or muscular?

>golf

Choose one

And not just that. One should just stop giving a fuck once in a while and enjoy life, as long as it doesn't have anything to do with having stupid hair and wearing band t-shirts or doing cringy stuff.

Basically. If you want to start a new hobby, fuck it. If you have the funds and time, go for it. It's for you, not anyone else. And with most sports, people are pretty helpful when it comes to giving pointers to folks that are just starting. At least in my experience.

That's the point of the range, to learn how to swing and play, many people suck there and nobody gives a shit what you're doing. It's when you go to a course, don't know how to play and can't hit a ball more than 30 yards is when you piss people off

yes

>be one of those shitters who thinks whacking the SHIT out of the ball will make it go farther
>friend takes 5 minutes to demonstrate a normal golf swinging motion and how to do it
>I basically act like a swinging pendulum with zero power and launch the ball farther than I ever have

The only legitimate golf is full-contact like they played back in the 1600's.