Just gave this a listen for the first time

California and Flesh without Blood are the only good songs...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MgshhTHxSNc
youtube.com/watch?v=CmYgJhrvv84
instagram.com/p/BSj4SyODIWq/?taken-by=grimesartofficial
instagram.com/p/BXWioGpgkzC/
instagram.com/p/BXWnCzRjzDq/?taken-by=grimesartofficial
vmagazine.com/article/v104-grimes-interview/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Belly of the Beat and Life in the Vivid Dream are OK though????

Kill V Maim is pretty powerful too????

belly of beet

Fuck off

Scream is literally the best song on this album bro

It's very decent. That's about it

>he doesn't like the title track

Scream is unironically one of my favorites desu

SCREAM, the title track and Easily are the only bad songs

>not liking pin

Nice bump dude

bump

DID SOMEBODY SAID GRIMES

Yes

Idk Op Venus Fly is pretty good too

Not really

bump

my family misses me

all of the songs are not good, in fact, they're pretty bad

bump

reporting this cancer

cool

i've only really listened to flesh without blood, and that was in a mashup. Am I missing out?
youtube.com/watch?v=MgshhTHxSNc

bump

i hope our grimey is sleeping well

claire is nice

>pleb detected
those are the most accessible songs from art angels. try harder and eventually you'll get into the other songs.

wait, do people actually like his shit?

this album is almost 2 years old

>????
Fuck off

????????????????

My top song list:
1World Princess part II
2Flesh without Blood
3Easily
4Pin
5California
6Venus Fly
7Kill V. Maim
8Belly of the Beat

But the whole fuckin album except maybe 3 songs is some of the most purest shit I've ever heard. Will be my favorite album for a long time.

damn

>very decent
>very
you're trying too hard. why don't you say it's decent?

wait, do people actually hate his masterpiece?

mark it zero donny

art angels is unironically the best pop album ever made. thriller, so, hounds of love, ray of light, purple rain, ziggy stardust, rumours, post, are weak compared to this powerhouse.

crawled out my mothers womb to post this

Venus Fly has a good fap beat

Yes

see

good thread

this,
i wish i could scream along to her, but i'm not a good screamer

Because it's better than decent but not much better

Basically true
Listen to it some more and you'll stop liking those 2 songs as well

Real patrician Art Angels tracklisting ranking -

1. Pin
2. World Princess II
3. SCREAM
4. Kill V. Maim
5. California
6. Realiti
7. Venus Fly
8. Easily
9. Butterfly
10. Life in the Vivid Dream
11. Laughing and Not Being Normal
12. Art Angels
13. Flesh Without Blood
12. Belly of the Beat

I fucked it up

>ranking Laughing and Not Being Normal, Flesh without Blood and Belly of the Beat this low

12. Art Angels
13. Flesh Without Blood
too low, buddy

i love all grimes songs

what a faggot

6 or so years of producing music yet she doesn't know how to mix pop songs
She obviously knows her music theory and production but her music is unlistenable on most systems

I thought it was just me. The mixing is garbage

Is this photoshopped?

the mixing has been done by someone else. check the credits, you ignorants.
>unlistenable
you're such big plebs. if her music is unlistenable, what about merzbow?

That's different. Merzbow is unlistenable on purpose.

what a shit comparison
ever heard the album in a car? I have never had to turn the volume knob up and down as often as with Art Angels. I mean dynamics are nice and shit but the volume on some of the tracks are all over the place.
Also the track Venus Fly is so muddy I barely hear anything other than bass. I bet many of the songs could have been perfect radio friendly songs if it wasn't for the mix

I'm not OP I was trying to bring my opinion to OP because I think, even if you didn't like Grimes, you have to admit those are good songs.

New Grimes is shit.

She will never beat Rosa or even Halfaxa levels of good.

maybe it was on purpose to BTFO normies like yourself

I don't even know to whom other than normies her music is even directed to but alright

>ever heard the album in a car?
yes. it sounds fucking great.

you're just a hipster. grimes is still doing great music, only poppier. before judging her new music so harshly, try getting into pop music.

It's just the high-production sound that takes away the charm she had when she was up and coming.

You could say that about any musician or band, but I have never interacted with a person who knows her outside of Art Angels and that's just proof of the damaging aspect of high-production, record-label bullshit artists put out. Their roots are ignored.

>implying the intro alone isn't better than 90% of the current pop that's being made

this nigger knows what's up

>It's just the high-production sound that takes away the charm she had when she was up and coming.
did you really expect her to not evolve her production skills? everyone changes, even you.
>You could say that about any musician or band, but I have never interacted with a person who knows her outside of Art Angels and that's just proof of the damaging aspect of high-production, record-label bullshit artists put out.
aa still sounds like grimes, despite the higher production values done by herself. it's just poppier. why do you dislike overtly catchy melodies?
>Their roots are ignored.
only bad musicians keep making the same music over and over. great musicians like grimes, bjork and bowie always tried to change their music.

I think I agree

this. also i dare the naysayers to find another pop album with that kind of intro.

>dislike overtly catchy melodies
>Rosa having an overtly catchy, repetitive melody
>one of my favourites

>bad musicians keep making the same music over and over
not saying she should keep doing the same thing, just saying that people seem to only JUST be getting into her work thanks to her new album but aren't interested in exploring anything else of hers or getting into the nuances of Claire Boucher.

Just recently I was at a clothes shop and Be a Body started playing and I smiled at the girl working at the counter and I commented that this was a great Grimes song, and she said 'yeah I own this album on vinyl!'
And when I said 'Oh I would love to own Visions on vinyl!' she gave me a confused look and said 'oh no, Art Angels'.

This is what I mean.

user, 'better than decent' is just a retarded way of saying 'good'.

Mixing/mastering is the only part of the record making process Grimes DOESN'T do in-house. If you don't like the way her music is mixed/mastered (especially Art Angels) then you must also not like the mixing/mastering in at least 75% of the other pop music out there, because that's literally about how much has been mixed/mastered by Tom Merrill and Spike Stent.

Sounds like you both just need better speakers desu. Her stuff rocks on all of mine - especially the more expensive ones.

Its not good though its just very decent

Kill v Maim, butterfly, Venus Fly are good too.

World Princess Part II is the best track though. Its the closest to her sound from Halfaxa days (basically Grimes at her peak).

ok, dude. fortunately for you, claire's upcoming music is (apparently) more like her first albums and different than art angels.
>not saying she should keep doing the same thing, just saying that people seem to only JUST be getting into her work thanks to her new album but aren't interested in exploring anything else of hers or getting into the nuances of Claire Boucher.
after they get sick of art angels, many of them try her older albums too. with bigger or smaller success.
>Just recently I was at a clothes shop and Be a Body started playing and I smiled at the girl working at the counter and I commented that this was a great Grimes song, and she said 'yeah I own this album on vinyl!' And when I said 'Oh I would love to own Visions on vinyl!' she gave me a confused look and said 'oh no, Art Angels'.
grimes needed to make art angels to gain a bigger fanbase. if she kept doing visions she would be irrelevant now. art angels (like hounds of love or post before) was a necessary evil. also she always loved pop music and she finally did a pop album. but grimes being grimes, she did the best pop album ever.

>it's annoying i know haha, but my albums take a long time to create because i don't buy songs/ hire producers/ writers or engineers. the majority of artists do, so they are able to release music faster. unfortunately it takes me longer because if there's a style i need to learn i just have to figure it out by trial and error, or if im stuck on a lyric or beat sometimes i have to start again. i think it leads to more original product though, and hopefully the fans are happier in the long run. that said, i am making a lot of music right now, but i also want to have more of a sonic theme to this album so i'm using less of the stuff i'm recording. in any case, ill try to be as swift as possible!"

>I kno i've been quiet lately - in the studio every day trying to legit make something you've never heard before. unexplored sonic landscapes. i need another month or 2 of pure unadulterated creativity at which point i will begin finishing tracks. won't let u down

>i wanna be quick tho! my goal this time is to avoid over editing and let everything be strange and free haha dunno if that makes sense.... but also i appreciate these words just in case i end up taking another year. not planning on t tho

>its cool to have a preference!!! i mean now that time is passing i see why people r so attached to the earlier works. they sound like nothing else, and i'm realizing that my true goal is to make something that sounds like nothing else. i needed to make art angels to prove my skills but now i want to integrate the skills w the creative approach i took on earlier alvums. sorry if i was defensive of AA when it first came out there was just sooooo much pressure coming from label fans everybody and i was too tired to properly internalize it all. appreciate ur consistent fandom over the years xxxx

thoughts?

Source?

her instagram + twitter. they're all legit quotes.

youtube.com/watch?v=CmYgJhrvv84

the first quote: instagram.com/p/BSj4SyODIWq/?taken-by=grimesartofficial

the second quote: instagram.com/p/BXWioGpgkzC/

the third quote

the fourth quote: instagram.com/p/BXWnCzRjzDq/?taken-by=grimesartofficial

If she goes back to her roots and makes music that's not like anything else, then wouldn't it be like her earlier works that was not like anything else thus making it like something else???

I hope its true. I think she 'tried to hard' to make a pop album with AA. When she was just being herself she had the best works ever (Halfaxa/Visions).

maybe she meant that she will make chill music like her earlier albums, but using a different sonic palette. a year ago she said:
>“I’m really vibing on making something really slow and gorgeous that just breathes, and has room to breathe. I feel like my work has always been fast paced, kinetic, and almost just manic and I feel like for me the hardest thing I can do is make something that’s slow and heavy. I’m so ADD in my work; I really want to push myself into something that would be slower and more reflective.”
vmagazine.com/article/v104-grimes-interview/

thank you my friend.

But this is the album of the decade, OP.

>people seem to only JUST be getting into her work thanks to her new album but aren't interested in exploring anything else of hers or getting into the nuances of Claire Boucher.
Newsflash: Most casual music listeners (which is to say, most music listeners in general) don't get around to listening to OLD music made by CURRENT artists because:
A) These people usually listen to a large number of different current artists.
B) Current artists are constantly releasing new music, meaning that they are hardly ever out of fresh music to listen to.
C.) They know that it is only a matter of time before any given current artist releases a new record.
Therefore they don't need to seek out the artist's older work in order to delve deeper into that artist's music. All they need to do is wait for a new album from that artist to appear while consuming all the other new albums of interest to them being released constantly. Like it or not, that's how this stuff tends to work with normal people.

>Their roots are ignored.
Fwiw Grimes' upcoming album is slated to be an up-graded production variant on the peculiar sounds/styles of her early albums. Which imo is likely to be a win for all parties since it's likely to please her early music fans (like you and me) by revisiting her sonic roots, and also setting up the perfect opportunity for those casual listener-types to get acquainted with her roots while still technically listening to new music*

* Assuming the new album actually manages to capture the sound that she has claimed she's looking to make. A front on which imo she has so far proved to be very competent.

you're welcome, bro

So Grimes: Selected Ambient Works, volumes I & II coming up... gotcha.

not the op, but this is the second best album after visions. they're both phenomenal albums. she must be an alien.

>& II
i doubt that. she's not a fan of pure ambient. 99% of her songs have beats. maybe it will be more like homogenic mixed with vespertine, but more melodic.

Grimes was never really all that good and the only reason you all listen to her is because you want to fuck her.

maybe that user really doesn't like that mixing. or maybe he has some trash speakers, who knows. there are many variables. her albums sound awesome played on my audio system.

that would be a silly reason because nobody has a chance. so what's left? oh the actual music.... she's very good... just not for you.

I agree with you and thats exactly what I was trying to say in this post >the nuances of Claire Boucher

I guess I just have a salty hipster 'I listened to Grimes BEFORE Art Angels' point of view in all this.
I'm like this with most of musicians I'm into honestly. I like to hear their young stuff, their naive uncertainty or teetering into the music world.
Once the record companies get their slimy hands into it, they tend to be blind sighted to the stuff they do best.
And I know this from one of my favourite artists, Liz Phair, who's albums after her best gradually degraded, and she re-recorded demo's that were practically untouchable to condition them to ears that aren't open to weirder stuff.

Fuck basically, it just feels like your favourite stream-of-consciousness, interpersonal essay novel being turned into some big budget hollywood movie.

It's not about the chance of fucking her. It's about the idea, the desire. You would have never started listening to her if she was 300 pounds.