Who made the best 90s cyberpunk masterpiece, Sup Forums, Sup Forums or Sup Forums?

Who made the best 90s cyberpunk masterpiece, Sup Forums, Sup Forums or Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-UtUAHYlkdM
youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tF7TL0Qh4
youtube.com/watch?v=DTHJkeqRt-8
youtube.com/watch?v=Ujm9fG7XGZE
youtube.com/watch?v=fjKVXvBWGZU
youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sup Forums most likely, but not The Matrix. If anything it's 964 Pinocchio.

Then Sup Forums, who have Genocyber and Serial Experiments Lain, both very strong competitors.

Then Sup Forums, with the stupid meme-rpg that's just a worse Thief: The Dark Project with a script that reads like a shopping list of conspiracy theories rather than a narrative.

Dayus Ex is from 2000's, not 90's.
Ghost in the Shell is just Blade Runner.
Matrix wins by default.

holy shit this is a terrible post

/lit/, with Snow Crash.
Matrix copied everything from Neuromancer, especially the last movies of the trilogy.
Ghost in the Shell is very good.

fixed

You're a terrible post.

>Ghost in the Shell is just Blade Runner
die pls

>Snow Crash
>Neuromancer
>anything but unreadable garbage

I haven't seen this in 8+ years but I remember unironically enjoying it.

Much better, but Johnny Mnemonic is still kind of lame thanks to executive fuckery. There was a great movie to be made in that production but we never got it.

I need to see this again.

Lain > Deus Ex > GitS >>> Matrix
Honestly The Matrix is more famous famous for its anime-like fight scenes than anything else, it isn't particularly interesting, innovative, or complex as sci-fi.

please stop posting

>it isn't particularly interesting, innovative, or complex as sci-fi

describes lain fairly well

Neuromancer can be offputting, but if you found Snow Crash "unreadable" you should really think about ending your life before you spread your rotten genes.

William Gibson is shit and so are you.

>but muh predictions
that's not the point of fiction

Lain is based, if you weren't immediately intrigued you're low kino-iq as fuck and probably don't even watch silent movies

Never even read Snow Crash, I just see that it's got a big fanbase overlap with Neuromancer, which was total ass, so I avoid it.

Ghost in the Shell is trash. Matrix wins.

Snow Crash is a crazy adventure about a cyber samurai nigger fighting a crazy huge inuit with a nuclear bomb strapped to his fucking back. It features: The Voice of Reason, a fuckign explosive rounds charged gatlin gun and also the titular "Snow Crash", a sheet of paper with a digital code on it that can shut down people's brains.
Also, a mafia based pizza delivery service.

that sounds like an unreadable clusterfuck

you're a dullard

you're a phoneposter

That's not cyberpunk, that's Tim Burton.

It is, if you have the reading comprehension of a seven years old girl.

I'm sure that I could read it, but why would I want to?

Sup Forums, too bad Oshii doesn't make Sup Forums anymore.

Sup Forums

I think you're a dullard as well

Oshii's best work is live-action. The Red Spectacles is peak-Oshii.

Least I'm not a phoneposter.

Ghost in the Shell feels like a thesis paper masquerading as a movie.

Don't get me wrong, I dug it but I couldn't give two shits about any of the characters other than for their huge bricks of philosophical exposition.

Deus Ex is fucking January of 2000 we can count it man

*tips mirroshades*

If we aren't going by any specific decade, I'd say Sup Forums with Blade Runner simply because its so influential.

I'll just leave this here

youtu.be/-UtUAHYlkdM

The Matrix was inspired by Ghost in the Shell to the point it homages one of its scenes.

youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tF7TL0Qh4

That's still not technically part of the 90s, but Matrix is still a better movie than Deus Ex is a game. The former has certainly aged better as movies usually do.

What is the best 80s cyberpunk masterpiece? Blade Runner or Akira

>William Gibson is shit

If you lack the comprehension of his interplay between aesthetics and themes, sure, must be frustrating to miss out on beautiful prose

Ghost in the Shell is by far the comfiest cyberpunk work in existence

Sup Forums made Aeon Flux. Shame the live action film was garbage but the series holds up to this day and its 10 episode length makes an easy watch.

>Ghost in the Shell is just Blade Runner.
What?

Not just one scene. There are many visual references to GitS in The Matrix (including the text effects).

I like The Red Spectacles, and I consider Avalon one of Oshii's best, but I just want him to make another anime, especially after seeing his newer stuff.

Garms Wars was only okay, Assault Girls was his worst, and Nowhere Girl doesn't seem particularly good. Although I did like the new Patlabor.

Anime and video game cyberpunk was on point in the 90's, movies mostly had shit like Johnny Mnemonic.

I enjoy them all, but got to go with Deus Ex.

TFW they don't make trailers like they used to. That was kino

Genocyber is Kino purely for how great the artwork and the gore are.

It's fine, not really worth mentioning. The OST was the best part iirc.

I actually liked it better then both the Geist movies funny enough, Fairy Dreaming is such a good song youtube.com/watch?v=DTHJkeqRt-8

Johnny Mnemonic is a great movie. You're insane.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ujm9fG7XGZE

The Matrix blew my mind but the Wachowski brothers no longer can blow each other.

It's a bad movie with a good aesthetic. There used to be a lot of them.

>90s cyberpunk thread
>ctrl+f "Strange days"
bretty disappointed.

youtube.com/watch?v=fjKVXvBWGZU

The Matrix blew my mind but the Wachowski brothers no longer can blow each other so their movies have to suck for them now. balance

C L U B
L
U
B

SANDWICH

>Never even read Snow Crash, I just see that it's got a big fanbase overlap with Neuromancer

>Cyberpunk
>It's normal society of the time period with one new invention which didn't change the way people live
If that's cyberpunk we've been a cyberpunk world since the iPod came out.

Sup Forums

user, that movie was fucking terrible.

>beautiful prose
>this is what Gibson-cucks believe
And interplay between aesthetics and themes just means writing about something while trying to sound pleasing. All writers do that. There's nothing complicated about his attempts, he's just inept. His work reads like drug-addled rambling.

Blade Runner is hardly even cyberpunk if at all. Akira is much closer.

Genocyber is underrated to the max. I went in expecting pulpy garbage and found one of the most stylish and avant-garde animes ever made.

Same man, how do you feel about the time skip in the end though? Personally I thought it was for the best it added some variety to the show instead of having another two parter where Elane was fighting more cyborgs

Time-skip was inspired. Part 2 looked like it might have been heading into battle-anime territory but then part 3 goes maximum overkino cyberpunk Fritz Lang.

>it's another Sup Forums believes their toys can compete with art.

Video games are an artform too.

well memed i'm proud of you

There was no meme in that post.

Incredibly enough Sup Forums, with Sup Forums being a close second.

He said while posting a stale meme.

How do we compare works of art which are portrayed through different means?

By the experience of the product? What's simply more entertaining in the process of experiencing it? The look, feel and tell their stories? The degree of which they leave an impact on me? By how intelligent they are, or simply by how immersive the experience is? A mixture of all these things?

If I had to select, I'd always pick the vidya masterpiece. These products allow me to experience their world directly, which is why I personally will always prefer video games as a medium of entertaining, compared to books, film or music. But that's just my personal preference, and this varies from person to person.

Of course, playing in what is an essentially a simulation like Deus Ex doesn't just make it "better" than the other two, or any other. I personally would say the game itself impacted me the most on an individual level, so I'd pick that, but in terms of writing and aesthetics, Ghost beats in easily.

We live in a cyberpunk world as we speak, you just don't realize it yet.

Lain is more esoteric then anything else. GitS already was best pick for Sup Forums.

Johnny Mnemonic should be exchanged with Blade runner even if it is 80s.

System Shock or MGS 1 is the question. SS is probably the better cyberpunk story but MGS advanced the medium further (and is better in general).

Deus Ex was made by basement dwellers. Ghost in the shell and Matrix was crafted by artist.

There is a difference you know.

woah

>esoteric
I consider that to be the defining factor in whether or not something is punk. It's all about subversion and formalism. If you're playing it straight you aren't punk.

Blade Runner is a straightforward detective movie with pretty visuals and set design, it's not punk. Johnny Mnemonic is a butchered piece of shit about a human USB-stick trying not to get murdered by a cyborg-priest long enough to to help Ice Cube and a hacker-dolphin stop the globalists or some bullshit. Mnemonic is appropriate to the max.

The Matrix is just an overblown Hong Kong action movie which helped Hollywood realise you can still make lots of money from terrible sequels.

t. missing jaw man

If he's such a great critic, why is he dead, and an author of opinions that clearly not stood the test of time?

Its not 90's. Rather its 2001 but Metal Gear Solid 2 was what opened me onto cyberpunk and forms of art in general. When I first played it the climax of the game blew my mind. I hadn't seen anything like it before.

Also, would Evangelion be considered cyberpunk? I'm guessing no but it definitely has the sci-fi post-modern government conspiracy element to it.

Sons of Liberty is definitely cyberpunk but Evangelion doesn't really fit. It's too personal.

>Who made the best 90s cyberpunk masterpiece
/tg/

Genocyber is pretty cool man even if you can't stand the gore.

>not really worth mentioning

Gotta disagree with you there man. The first episode perfectly captures the feeling of witnessing an apocalyptic scenario with the city fight at the end constantly escalating in more and more destruction while everyone panics.

>masterpiece
>no story

Not him but I'm glad they did the time skip. It perfectly fits the theme of humanity causing their own destruction right after rebuilding a stable society again. People who hate on the last two episodes were only watching it for the gore and got pissed that there was hardly any.

The metaplot is a pretty clear story, user

thats a setting

By that logic you might as well say the Fresh Prince of Bel Air is an 80s sitcom

I dont understand are you saying neuromancer is pseudo-philosophical trash?

technically it is.

And how is that?

First post, best post.

Disregard dissenting Sup Forumsedditors

just look it at

I'm the first poster and I post on Sup Forums regularly.

I fucking hate video games so much why can't I stop?

>964 Pinocchio
wow so cyberpunk.
fuck off you pretentious faggot.

also genocyber is terrible

>also genocyber is terrible
Why? Show work

>wow so cyberpunk
isn't it? Look how awesome those images are, and that's just like, two scenes.

And Koichi Ohata is possibly THE most underappreciated artist in his medium. Even if you don't care for his direction or storytelling (which would make you a pleb) his design-work is top-stuff. He worked on Gunbuster back in the day.

Is this trailer kino?

youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

It is though

kino

>The Matrix
>cyberpunk

Why though?

theres nothing cyberpunk about those images no matter how much you like them (they also look shit btw)