If all social media were permanently deleted tomorrow, what would happen to the world?

If all social media were permanently deleted tomorrow, what would happen to the world?

Everyone's mental health would improve.

More people would go outside.

Sup Forums would be flooded with noobs.

Opposite would happen. Social media is just another addiction to keep us from our negative thoughts

It would go back to how great it was before.

How great was it?

The world was how big you made it, you had to go out and create your own social network, and people just seemed nicer.

Things would be better off. Social media is making people depressed, angry and confrontational.

Gen X here, not.. quite true. There's some merit to what you say, but it's a tad more complex than that.

the weirdos for example, had shit all social contact back in my day, they do now.

So life was better

in some aspects, yes, in others.. no.

Were school shootings a problem then though?

people would just resort to text

Mental health improved, more person-to-person socialization, degeneracy would go down.

How could we theoretically get rid of social media? Would it be possible at this point?

Maybe that net neutrality bill will kill it, that’s what I’ve been hoping. Sup Forums might be sacrificed as well be I feel it’s a worthy one.

I dont care they took club penguin away from me

Mark?

Why even live?

An electro-magnetic pulse might do something. But that'd also render all other technology useless as well. I like the idea of a lot of it starting over, but it'd be a big risk, too.

How would it be a risk? I only see social media dying affecting those faggot marketing jews

I'm Danish, so on a personal level I can't answer on American's behalf, but according to the statistics it looks like they were prevalent then, too.

we've only had one, in Denmark, though.. in all our history. Two dead, including the gunman. He used an old double-barrelled shotgun. Guns are hard to come by, round here.

Maybe I might sound crazy, but I feel that if we do, a lot of information we had on the Internet just might get wiped, and probably never recovered. All the data that we have saved might be no more. Just kinda risky to me, but I'm still on board with wiping the Internet out, if it means it can be restarted, but with no social media.

Not what I meant, man.

Dude, have you seen social media, and what goes on there? I mean, I know this is Sup Forums, but a bunch of dudes beating off to traps is one thing, but the retardation on social media is rampant.

Where is the source if the internet? I’ve heard rumors that al internet is linked to one central source?

So if we shut that shit off somehow maybe we could fix society.

>if it means it can be restarted, but with no social media
it can't, unless we whip up a utopian/dystopian (depending on who I'm talking to) fascist authoritarian government that simply bans social media. And even then, hackers and darknet types would make deep web alternatives, P2P or onions or whatever the fuck.

I think it might be, but I'm terrible with computers. I know nothing about them. But if I was to create the Internet, or something similar to that, I'd put it in one spot, so I can save money by not having to build more centers, not having to build locations to hold them, and not have to hire as many people.

lol I know, just couldn't help myself.
yes, I'm on facebook, but that's about it. I'm 42y/o, I never saw the need for twitter, snapscar, instagoof and the rest of them. I use facefart to keep in touch with old friends and family, and for the occasional lulz and the newsfeeds.

Okay, so there is a shortcoming with that. I love my country and hate social media, but I don't like the idea of a fascist-run country.

Oh, I see.

Yeah I absolutely prefer Sup Forums to Instagram, and I’ve all but deleted Snapchat. I usually only use Instagram in the weekends but it’s getting to the point where I’ll bsrely use that. I use Sup Forums almost every day, sometimes I take month long breaks.

Typically Sup Forums just seems way more healthy and sane then most of the social media degerancy, I don’t maybe I’m just that fucked but if you complain about reposting on Sup Forums Instagram is repost hell. And full of garbage people looking for vanity.

I’m pretty normal in real life though, most of my normie friends seem crazy to me.

Me, myself, I have Facebook, had Snapchat, and a Twitter account I deleted. Plus, I have Sup Forums, even though it isn't really a social media platform. But still, it's nice to have some people to talk to on there that can have the same likes as you. And the greentexts.

Sup Forums is mainstream enough fi be considered social media and if ask me it’s the best honestly. Besides traps and threads about eating shit, it’s way less fucked up then the fake shit you see on Instagram and Twitter.

Same shit. Instagram is full of fakers, and socially starved idiots. I have a Facebook, and had Snapchat, but with both of them, it can be the same thing, and I hated that my friends would post pictures of their activities, and realize that I was missing out on the fun, and no one invited me. My only technology is the computer I own, and a flip-phone, since the police still have my smartphone, and I never went to pick it up. I feel a bit better without it now, since I don't have to see as much shit on a daily basis anymore, and am now more socially capable, and have a good dating life.

social media is a tool, and a fad, at the same time.. that's the weird shit about it, is it what you make of it, but it's still relatively new so people have yet to learn how to properly incorporate it into their lives. When the telephone was invented, people had the same discussions about it we have today about the internet as a whole.

young people are leaving facebook these days, it's mainly a 30+ segment thing now. They're turning to instagram and snapchat, and twitter is mostly for news and celebs. Things will fall into place.

Hope

Definitely. I'll take a bunch of threads of people getting run over, and gored to death over a bunch of fake idiot teenagers bragging about how they got coffee in the morning, went to the mall, and then went to take a swim, all with selfies. I love Sup Forums honestly.

Well, hopefully, like other fads, it'll die out on its own soon. Or worse, it'll just end up becoming just as important as having a wallet.

bingo. Sup Forums is apart from the rest, it's more or less the only truly anonymous platform left on the clearnet, at least the only one that is actually used not solely by total weirdos and deviants (infinity chan etc), so we should value it, despite the logs, the furries and the occasional Sup Forumslard/stormfart screeching about teh jooz.

Instagram and Snapchat are litty. Twitter is okay, but it's only really relevant if you're famous or have some kind of clout in some manner. Regular people, nobody cares about. I remember my ex girlfriend creaming herself when one of her Tweets got like 200 likes, which is pathetic in the Twitter world.

Facebook is for old retards, Tumblr isn't that mainstream, and Skype is borderline dead. Rest only have niche use at best.

I’ve been thinking about going back to a basic smartphone from an iPhone. I feel like I can’t go anywhere without this fucking thing, it sucks.

all the forums would from from the reddit exodus

Only real reason I ever came here (like most people) is for the greentexts. I was very surprised when I first came here, because the first thread I saw was of a short-haired naked girl talking about how the hormones are working enough that her clit had grown to form something of a micropenis. I didn't go back for another 6 months after that, because of all the gross shit.

Yeah. I never had an iPhone, but the only smartphones I had were Samsungs.

I don't think it'll die out totally, it will just fade into the background and not take away so much of people's time as it does now. I hope. But, then again.. when you say:
>.. end up becoming just as important as having a wallet
to most people, smartphones already are. It's only a matter of time before you can keep a virtual copy of your drivers license on your phone, and you can already pay with your phone.. so, what is a wallet good for then? Pictures of your kids? lol

damn, I just spooked myself.

lol, threads like that was why I stayed.. came here somtime in 05 I think, and was amazed with the combined level of deviancy, idiocy and sheer brilliant genius that could be found here.

and yes, the greentexts.

Yeah, I just got spooked too. But if many people are right, there really might be a nuclear war in our lifetime, and if we're lucky, it should wipe out all off the Internet. From there, maybe society can get the fresh start that it really needs.

Literally nothing.

I first went on here when I was 17. Wish I just waited a bit, but I would've gone on it sooner if I hadn't heeded the warning. So I stayed off for a good year before I went back on. 19 now.