Did anyone else want Rust to fight the King in Yellow at the end?

Did anyone else want Rust to fight the King in Yellow at the end?

Other urls found in this thread:

slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/03/10/true_detective_costume_clues_costume_designer_jenny_eagan_talks_black_stars.html
youtube.com/watch?v=VpvsdVg2YVU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

And get eaten?

No one?

Rust being eater by an eldritch abomination would have made for a much better ending that cliché, happy-ending schlock we actually received.

*eaten

I was hoping they were going all lovecraftian on us.

Me too. Would have really made the series truly unique in they committed to the supernatural horror elements. Instead they fight a random hillbilly, and get a Hollywood happy ending.

I was hoping the Yellow King was something more than a retarded hick and his wife, but I guess the whole point of the plot was that not everything is some grand evil, or something.

Is the second season any good?

Well yeah. True Detective at its core is

"Family is what you need to live for."
"Sometimes the bad guy gets away. But as long as you get yours, life can be alright."

I was very surprised at the ending going for what it did given the tone of the show up Rust's ending monologue. However I don't agree with the "light's winning," line. I understand Pizza lifted it from an Alan Moore comic, and as much as he may have loved that comic it felt really out of place coming from Rust.

It's bleaker than season 1. It takes season 1's "the bad guy sometimes wins" and hammers it home and hard.

>happy ending

No... watch it again. If you feel the need read the king in yellow. Rust is doomed to go mental now.

Name of the show?

Actually, this interview shows that the Yellow King wasn't the hick. He was the Cult's God. The OP is his effigy.

Interview here:

slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/03/10/true_detective_costume_clues_costume_designer_jenny_eagan_talks_black_stars.html

That's interesting but I didn't say anything about the Yella King in my post.

Quote from the costume designer:

"Of course, there were some elements in the set design—in last night’s episode, you see the big creature wrapped in yellow fabric, the Yellow King—that were obviously intentional".

Oh, yeah, sorry. That was accidental.

>build up one of the most compelling mysteries ever in cinematic history
>it was just a retarded fat guy in the woods lol

I assumed PIzza's idea was that Redneck was of one of the many victims of the elite pedo rings, sacrifice rituals, etc. and he's all fucked up and damaged from it. Goes on his own killing spree and through the investigation they find evidence here and there that the murders lead to a bigger conspiracy but they don't have the pull to bring down those in power.

I hope that in season 3 there is satan cult and shit got real.

There was supernatural elements in the show though, like when Rust shot God.

I get all that, but it didn't work

Truly the show's greatest moment.

If you were solely expecting a cthulhu thing coming at the end, and somehow ignoring the most poignant sequences like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=VpvsdVg2YVU

Then sure, I can see why you would think it didn't work.

yes

this thread exemplifies what plebs expected from s1's finale. they're fucking retards in terms of the human condition and reality, not to mention pacing and cinematic structure. they expected a show that takes itself seriously to end with matthew mcconaughey fist fighting a squid monster.

s2 handles the material in a very similar way, albeit from a different angle. it's a different story told in a similar structure, from an alternative vision. it's filled with shitty human beings as main characters and escalating situations that eventually involve all of them. unlike s1, it's a slow burn, in which you can't judge the entire season by an uneventful episode. it requires your attention and patience like all great shows do.

talkin bout, she met a kang

I wasn't excepting cthulhu you fucking retard

The problem is that fat retard in the forest. It's a cop out, he doesn't feel like a real character. He feels like a shitty soap opera villain. Something that belongs in B-rate horror film.

Oh in that case yeah I can agree with that. When Rust was hearing his narration in "Carcosa" it was almost scoff worthy to be honest.

Pizza wrote episodes 7 and 8 while the other episodes were in production. Rushed job.

Just like season 2 am I right ya guys

>to end with matthew mcconaughey fist fighting a squid monster.

Would have been better than the actual ending, where he fights a fat redneck, and has his character completely destroyed for the sake of a happy ending.

Besides, there are other, better, ways to do a weird fiction ending, ways that don't include fist-fighting eldritch horrors.

Imagine if they bring back the dog in the Thing and hear the other dogs barking when they put it in the pen and run over to see fucking Choptop crawling out of it.

My nigga. This was the best sequence in the show.

The edgelords are into Rust but true patricians understand that Marty is actually the more interesting character.

> want to discus TD S1
> dude hick lmao
> dude monster lmao
> dude pizza lmao
im going to bed fuck it

Rust is literally a walking meme, i don't understand how people thought he was a good character

this user knows what's up

Only the most reddit turbo plebs want Rust to fight a lovecraftian monster.

I hoped for a plot twist the yellow king was Daddario, and she had to fight naked in the final boss fight.

I thought Rust was poorly handled, but I did like that they attempted to present, through him, ideas that are very unconventional, and not much known, like antinatalism and philosophical pessimism. Unfortunately, he often comes across as a kind of parody, and his soliloquies are often butchered, nearly nonsensical versions of the ideas they are trying to describe.

I still kind of like Rust, though.

>and has his character completely destroyed for the sake of a happy ending.

I don't think it was completely destroyed, but like I brought up before in this thread the "light's winning" line felt out of place.

There were enough seeds planted where his transformation felt somewhat organic. 1995 Rust was a man trying to cope with the loss of his daughter by rationalizing that the entire world is one big "ghetto." That all of life is a dream, it don't matter, etc. And to be fair there is lot of truth in the things he said, but the thing to note is he was still able to feel sadness at seeing Marty's daughters. He is still able to have a romantic relationship with someone, (the woman who Maggie introduces him to). They didn't last, but things like these show the viewer that Rust is still somewhat human. He desires companionship like anyone else. So for me when he starts crying about how he felt his daughter it really didn't feel that off to me.

That scene is such a heart wrencher. I hope fathers everywhere who watched this show woke the fuck up when they saw that if they weren't already awake.

Because of how the other characters react to him.

They all raise eyebrows, sometimes almost chuckle amongst each other when he insistently spouts his philosophy in unwelcome situations. Marty practically wants to smack him upside the head.

It's a perfect portrayal of someone in the midst of a nihilistic, existential depression. If you've ever been through something like that or had a person like that in your life, you know it's very difficult to be around. They are so disconnected from everyone around them, so convinced that they are in on some depressing truth that everyone else is just naive to, that they're obscenely arrogant. To be in that state is to be completely self-absorbed and totally unaware of what's going on around you.

Autistic edgelords on Sup Forums legitimately think Rust is "badass" and awesome because he's like them. They don't realize he's actually more of a commentary on them.

That's why I liked the ending. I interpreted it as him finally getting out of the hole he dug himself into.

tl;dr he's supposed to be like that.

There are actually some substantive philosophical arguments behind some of the things Rust talks about, antinatalism and philosophical pessimism. Benatar and Schopenhauer are examples of proponents of these ideas. Rust just happens to present butchered, nearly nonsensical versions of them, to the point that he comes across as some kind of "stoner philosopher" who hasn't actually thought very hard about anything he's saying, and is just trying to appear "profound".

Is there a stronger pleb filter than True Detective season 2?

Meanwhile, on Fargo S2

see

And wasn't there some indication that Malvo was Satan?

Why of course. The philosophical arguments have to be at least somewhat substantive in order for people to become obsessed with them, unless you're one of those people who wears tinfoil hats and think the earth is flat I suppose.