Old Eastern European historical movies apparently had a shitton of great battle scenes...

Old Eastern European historical movies apparently had a shitton of great battle scenes, as they had like a million extras on set.

What are some of the essentials? I of course know Waterloo, and then there is Eclipse of the Crescent Moon in pic related.

I know there are some Eastern Europeans lurking here, tell me more, I love this shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=wPLHYZG-IjE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9kpWN-vvGiY
youtube.com/watch?v=osltBfVNfxg
youtube.com/watch?v=PM37iJ7ymok
youtube.com/watch?v=WmM3UEUslw4
youtube.com/watch?v=4qyjlYDHq6M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

With Fire and Sword, an absolute fucking classic.

80 Hussars

youtube.com/watch?v=9kpWN-vvGiY

this, it's great. The others in the sort-of trilogy aren't bad either

Just listing a bunch of historical movies I've seen. Quality varies and most of them are probably hard to find now. There might be some movies in between without battles.

Sokolovo
Alexander Nevsky
Andrey Rublyov
Ivan Grozny
Osvobozeni
Admiral Nachimov
Admiral Usakov
Bezhlavy Jezdec
Bojovali za vlast
Leningradske nebe
Pribeh opravdoveho cloveka
udalost ve ctverci 36-80
War and peace
Zpivajici eskadra
Atentat
Dny Zrady
Jan Hus
Jan Zizka
Proti Vsem
Udoli vcel
Marketa lazarova
Nebesti Jezdci
Dark blue world
Dobry vojak svejk
Jan Rohac z Dube
Janosik
Zborov
Zikmund receny Selma rysava
With fire and sword
Potop
Pan Wolodyjowski
Fate of a man
Strafbat
Koraby utoci
Normandie Niemen
Zena zenecka a katusa

Awesome, thanks.

Skanderbeg (1954)

Remembered a couple more

Sarajvesky atentat
Přivoláme na sebe palbu
Opus pro smrtihlava
Nebesky louda
kozi roh
Brána k Domovu
Seventeen Moments of Spring
dacii
black cross

youtube.com/watch?v=osltBfVNfxg

Fucking hell, why don't they make shit like this anymore? Every battle in movies is some fantasy CGI shitfest. I can't even remember the last good battle scene. Probably Kingdom of Heaven.

Because they are lazy fucks that prefer paying one person to CGI all the shit up instead of working with actual people.
I bet that there would be extras willing to do it even for free, i know i would.

Pretty interesting thread guys.

sup jani

I was actually an extra in World War Z. For free, except for the food we got on set. We had to form phalanxes and fight zombies with spears and riot police gear and shit. The zombies were not there cause they were supposed to be CGI, and it was super fucking awkward. It was supposed to be a huge battle scene, but it was eventually cut in favor of Brad Pitt playing hide and seek with zombies in a Pepsi commercial.

Not necessarily a conventional battle but the Battle of Algiers protest and riot sequences look incredible due to the number of extras on screen.

>Old Eastern European historical movies apparently had a shitton of great battle scenes, as they had like a million extras on set.
not that hard to do when you can get the national conscripted army to play in them since they lived on water and bread and were already used to being commanded around. its much harder to do with real actors. war and peace for example where more than 20k military personnel took part in filming but also in the eclipse of the crescent moon with around 5k soldiers

So just shoot in a country that still has a lot of free manpower for this shit. It worked with Waterloo.

>implying people today wouldn't be an extra in a big movie for free

The reason you don't see many extras anymore is unions.

There was a series about some Russian dude that becomes Sultan of some Sandnigger country I think it came out in the 80's. Starts out with Russians getting wrecked by Mongols and he gets sold into slavery as a child and ends up in some desert kingdom.

Forgot what it was called but really wanted to watch it.

my point was specifically about using the conscripted army. it makes everything cheaper and easier to organise. and also a push from the Communist party. that also helps

>I can't even remember the last good battle scene.

It was Game of Thrones

youtube.com/watch?v=PM37iJ7ymok
youtube.com/watch?v=WmM3UEUslw4

Michael the Brave. With english subtitles.

youtube.com/watch?v=4qyjlYDHq6M

Scenes (with terrible added music) from Der große König, Germany 1942. According to wikipedia, actual soldiers were made available. Also, whereas in previos historic monumental battle scenes, the armies could often not be told apart, Harlan had the Prussians always attack from the left, Austrians from the right and gave each army their own music.

This is so infuriating. If that scene was completed and left in the movie as intended, it would have been at least okay. If they had spent the money on makeup and extras and gotten real people to be the zombies, it would have been awesome. Basically anything else would have been better than what we got.

bump

bamp