2000s Reflection Thread

Oh, god. I just have to say this: music in the 2000s was so bad, not just because of mainstream music diminishing in quality from the 90s, but because it was an absolutely disgusting amalgamation of every single music stereotype of the 80s-90s. For instance, rap music became an ironic caricature of every gangsta hip hop trope of the 90s. MCs attempted to encapsulate the intensity of artists like Biggie, 'Pac and Wu Tang, but ended up conveying themselves as autistic ruffians with the sole purpose of degrading all progress African Americans worked so desperately hard to create since the end of slavery into oblivion. And the idiocy manifested even further when nearly everyone in the early '00s caught on with this behavior. Besides the more obvious offender (nu metal, I'll talk about that later), it seemed like every celebrity, in an attempt to stay hip and "with the times," clung onto that rope of being an urban street thug; they mastered the dialect of slang as it were their own native tongue. This was evident in MTV the most, when shows like Pimp My Ride, TRL and the VMAs perfectly showed how celebrities engaged in that lifestyle of hard drugs, partying and pretending to act in a superior manner to other celebrities. Even the rockstars of that time seemed milquetoast compared to the abundant drama and idiocy between pop celebrities during that period. (Cont.)

(cont.) Speaking of which, rock music fell into the trap of self-lampooning their predecessors. Let's say that after Cobain's death, rock basically split into three paths, each retaining and combining elements of their pioneers with traditional and trendy pop music. The first path spawned directly as a consequence of Cobain's death, named the dreaded post-grunge genre. Bands like Nickelback, Creed, Puddle of Mudd liberated elements of the big 4 of grunge (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains) with a commercially mainstream sound, eschewing the raw, lo-fi atmosphere that made the original grunge movement so unique. Of course, it became popular amongst the casual music listeners, due to its predictable instrumentation of clean, yet pseudo-distorted guitars, forming catchy, yet depth less pop melodies. Secondly, pop punk managed to coincide with post-grunge music in mainstream rock. The typical mallcore, prurient audience quickly related with its transgressive, angsty lyrics meshed into simple 3 power-chord melodies and such. Hot Topic exacerbated the culture; soon, teens dressed up in grungy/messed up apparel when their favorite boxers were too dirty to sag with. And finally, Nu Metal… do I really need to elaborate on this? Even indie rock perished in its own stereotypes. While it objectively accumulated almost every outstanding album of the '00s, the general public could not have tarnished its reputation any further. Remember when in TV shows or movies, innocent Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire or Radiohead fans received wedgies and swirlies from bravado jocks? Or how about in the stall nearby, where a pale, yet darkly dressed person spurted geysers from his wrists every day, while tears formed puddles into the ground? I think you get my point now, but music became so inside the box in the 2000s, it felt like an infinite prison of torture.

To the people who have read this, what do you think?

Vespertine came out in 2001 so they couldn't have been all that bad.

I think you're a faggot

>muh culture war
Please stop bumping this shit thread

Well, that was an insightful criticism of my argument, and not hurtful at all. :(

>implying popular music was ever good
The only popular song that’s ever been worth a damn is Fantasy by Mariah Carey

Touche, but if pop music had any significant value other than the commercialization of art, the 2000s symbolized its descent into atrocity.

I see what you mean, but don't find it worth writing an essay on.

Thanks, I was a bit bored before writing this, and I wanted to hone my skills in Scaruffi-ology. :)

retards

Why?

>popular music was never good

a lot of good indie albums came out, Nu Metal sucked but the decade had some masterpieces

I never said it wasn't, but let's face it: had pop never declined as much in the 2000s, sites like Sup Forums would probably not exist, or at least the Sup Forumscore chart would be significantly different.

what are you babbling about, sites like Sup Forums? this place was barely even founded on people who legitimately enjoyed music. it was full of anons who wanted to have a ~unique~ music taste in hopes it would make up for other less than desirable character traits. most anons here have the exact same "taste" for a reason, can't be bothered to find their own shit.

and if you feel pop in america sucked in the 2000s ok sure, but that absolutely was not the case for europe and japan

You forgot to mention all the pop R&B/singer-songwriter female vocalists that wanted to be Whitney Houston

2001 was perhaps the best year for Post-Hardcore.

...I'll give you that one, although I prefer Sing the Sorrow (AFI) and Red Medicine better.

I unironically like Green Day

For every Green Day and Blink 182, there were so many other ripoffs/derivatives.

He's right tbqh

Yeah Kid A is pretty embarrassing and shit overall.