/daily/ - TES Edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/the_attic_magazine/from-the-archives-podcast-9-ukrainian-underground-tapes
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/enter_shikari/a_flash_flood_of_colour/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/vampillia/the-divine-move-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bobby_joe_ebola_and_the_children_macnuggits/carmelita_sings___visions_of_a_rock_apocalypse/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pepe_deluxe/queen_of_the_wave/
youtube.com/watch?v=5X4_mjF2cyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5fFwauFJKyI
mega.nz/#!bxJy1BRA!N5Pq8Cf_C7ccLai6GH2BDI0vsQXHJYWadbw9V8MMVEM
soundcloud.com/s-nianio/meduza-snianio-vllkutan
twitter.com/AnonBabble

cow

love you

ye i saw, glad you actually non-meme enjoyed it!

soundcloud.com/the_attic_magazine/from-the-archives-podcast-9-ukrainian-underground-tapes

Someone made a mixtape for Ukrainian indie music. Has HD transfers from the official tapes.
If we don't see a Kazma Kazma HD reissue I'm gonna be upset

Fuxj bitches im on a traiiiiin (pic by me)

so here's the feelist drone, mount eerie is the only thing I knew from there. told him I wanted to be surprised and so far I have.

>Alastair Galbraith - Talisman
The longer tracks were the ones that I enjoyed the most, very lo-fi feel to it, reminded me of early Smog.

>David Fenech - D'une Illogique Placable
Playful, every track is different from the previous one, short and entertaining record.

>The Knit Separates - Swords, Then Diamonds
Another lo-fi record, this one is filled with beautiful pop melodies that get better when the vocals come along.
8+

is topsters kill? my nov chart draft was on there

>he hasn't been using Topsters 2 anyway
el mao

not sure why I would other than the fact that the link is on the sticky. does it have any substantial improvements?

It doesn't break.

well I guess you could call that an improvement

Planning on getting through some shit that I really should've listened to ages ago. That said, I could do with a few recs that maybe aren't as well-known as the stuff on my chart, just to mix it up a bit. Any suggestions?

R. Stevie Moore - Delicate Tension
Faust - The Faust Tapes

whaddayalike

looks like trash but i hate myself enough to listen to something like that atm so you get your will

Sondre lerche- pleasure
The Motifs- cross paths
Divine Styler- spiral walls containing autumns of light

Thanks!

Jesus, why can't I think of a response other than "anything"
I've been really liking stuff with drum & bass elements lately, particularly Shpongle and Jacob's Optical Stairway. Really don't care too much about genre though. Honestly anything interesting, as long as it's not wank

uh check out
FKA Twigs - EP2
Sybille Baier - Colour Green
Cardigans - Life
:)

>stuff with drum & bass elements
say no more
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/enter_shikari/a_flash_flood_of_colour/

>anything interesting, as long as it's not wank
do you just mean anything technical or

changed frusciante out for primary colours because i honestly couldn't be fucked to dl frusciante

Drive-By Truckers - Southern Rock Opera (2001)
>southern rock

The sheer singularity of this concept is impressive enough, the fact that it's executed perfectly makes this easily one of the most impressive concept albums out there. This whole album is an ode to the southern/country rock of the '70s and what that culturally means to the South. I can't say I'm a fan of bands like Lynyrd Skynyd and their ilk, but the passion this band shows towards their music really makes me appreciate them, and in showing their appreciation, they properly update the southern rock sound and make it more country-fried and melancholy. The length is a bit overkill, but Hood is a great songwriter, and the whole album is a good enough journey that I can overlook the less great individual songs.

Alain Bashung - Fantaisie militaire (1998)
>chanson, nouvelle chanson française

Modern chanson update that sounds fresh and intriguing. A lot of the electronic elements seem trend-hopping, most notably the drum and bass on "Samuel Hall", so it's the beautifully orchestrated chamber pop where this album picks up. Bashung is a phenomenal singer, I can't comment much on his lyrics considering I don't understand a lick of French, but he commands a lot of power with his voice, while still managing to be smooth as silk. The arrangements are more slow-burning, they don't come out on the forefront like a lot of chamber pop arrangements do, they linger in the background and slowly unsettle and unease while the vocals take center stage.

3.0-

(1/2)?

(2/3)

Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway (2003)
>folk rock, singer/songwriter

Kozelek's finest hour. Considering how he's basically taken on the position as indie rock's drunk, rambling uncle following the release of Benji, it's easy to overlook how great of a songwriter he is. And my god, his songwriting is never better than it is here. The lyrics are introspective and absolutely gorgeous, and the melodies, while understated, immediately jump out. The arrangements are beautiful as well, flamenco-esque guitar takes the forefront but Kozelek isn't afraid to kick up the distortion from time to time and bring on a more straightforward indie rock sound. The songs with this sound generally aren't that memorable, but they're a nice break from the album, and they're paced with regards to the rest of the album perfectly. Hot damn, this really is /that/ good.

The Horrors - Primary Colours (2009)
>post-punk, shoegaze

Rests comfortably as a decent album in the hands of it's closer, the monolithic "Sea Within a Sea". This track is commonly described as a mix between Joy Division and NEU!, and that couldn't be more true. It takes heavy influence from the gloomy, thrashy soundscaping of Curtis and co., yet it's driven by a propulsive motorik beat. It's an odd combination that works absolutely perfectly, making for one of the coolest, most atmospheric songs of the '00s. The rest of the album can't quite stack up. Shoegaze rears its head very often, yet never in an interesting way, the guitars just happen to be occasionally over-driven and distorted, not much to write home about. The songwriting is also a bit lacking. There's a really cool sound here, and the band is too comfortable to coast on that without focusing on the songwriting.

2.0+

Already listened to it in my last chart! Thanks, though.
Wank was maybe a bit of a dismissive term to use, but I guess I meant stuff that doesn't have enough variety to hold interest. It's largely just me being a pretentious cunt though

I just finished this comp sci project I've been working on for nearly two weeks so I'm gonna take a break and do some mini reviews. Gonna try and do five or so a day but we'll see how that goes:

>Pete La Roca - Basra
Incredible. I'm convinced everything Joe Henderson touches turns to gold. Gonna keep this fairly short so that I waste less of your time so you can get to hearing this sooner. I think that "Finds a magical mix of activity and soothingness that few other albums will ever. As soon as I was finished I immediately looked forward to hearing it again" is a good enough review for the time being. What's keeping this from a 10 (for now) is the fact that the first and s/t track reign supreme above the rest with 'Lazy Afternoon' following close behind, and Eldertown dragging a bit far below the rest, but I could see it growing on me. If you haven't heard this let me know so I can punch you in the balls.

>Them Crooked Animals - Danse Manatee
waaaay less abrasive or difficult than I remember. I think most people hate this coming straight from MPP or Feels which makes sense, considering I was in the same boat. The consensus here seems to be "Essplode" is good and everything else sucks which is dildos. This album is constantly evolving and deconstructing while in general just being really fun to listen to. Feels more like an expansion on pop music than furthering any sort of experimental field but what do I know? Really glad I gave this another go (it was sitting at like a 3 until today) because I think it's their best save Spirit They've Gone and Feels. If you've gotten over your "MPP is the best AnCo!!!" phase this might be worth another shot.

1/3

>Robert Johnson - The Complete Recordings
Given the shit I usually like, the music that these recordings influenced, and the amount of hype built around this I was expecting an easy 9. While I love a lot of what's going on here, a good chunk of it is seemingly unnecessary variation tracks with slight changes(some more so than others) to the track just previous, which made for a semi-unenthusiastic continued listening. While I won't deny for a second that much of what's on this compilation defines the term "essential music", that doesn't mean a good amount of it isn't throwaway.

>Lalgudi Jayaraman - Violin
Even with the constant breaks in flow (and applause, grrr) the first track remains one of the best I've heard in Carnatic music. The second and third track are fine, but in comparison feel entirely pointless. I feel like I could've enjoyed this much more hadn't I heard this style done better so many other times.
6 maybe 7 idk

>Eric Taxxon - Endless
I hope people don't feel like I hate Eric since I gave such poor scores to The Antill or Sky, Simplified (which I've since moved up in score). In comparison, I enjoyed this much more. A major detractor is Fish:Vaporwave::Eric:Chiptunes and I'm not 100% sure what gets to be vaporwave or not at this point (do any of us?) but if this counts than it's certainly some of the best in the genre. While I loved a lot of what's here, my inner self yearns for something more fleshed out and also not vaporwave.

2/3

(3/3)

Lead Belly - Where Did You Sleep Last Night: Lead Belly Legacy, Vol. 1 (1996)
>blues, country blues

Lead Belly has never really been on my radar as a blues fanatic, so it's nice to see that he mostly lives up to his legendary status. There's a lot of diversity in the sound here, which is something you really don't see in blues that often. Lots of Lead Belly's experiments with odd instrumentation don't work that well, but it's still really interesting to see them here. As a singer little sticks out about him to me, but as a songwriter he crafts some of the most unique blues tunes out there. Might lack the passion of my favorite blues, but hell, it's really cool.

American Music Club - California (1988)
>folk rock, slowcore

'80s country production hurts this whole thing. Songwriting is all fine and dandy, it's that sterile, sappy slide guitar laden sound that makes this a lot lesser than it deserves to be. A lot of this feels really afraid to take any risks, it's so pleasantly middle of the road, not overtly sad or overtly emotional, it's just drifting.

2.0+

ALRIGHT IMMA START THE 2017 CHART SOON

I WILL KEEP ON MAKING 2017 CHARTS UNTIL I FIND A 3.5 OR ABOVE FROM THIS YEAR

>The Meme Cows - 261: A Feeling for yadda yadda
Venturing out of their preliminary genre of "professional obnoxiousness" to accidentally make something half decent. In fact, there's a few great moments in there where I really got lost in the absence and textures, making about half of this really effective drone. What kept me from loving it was the clearness of it being divided into "sections" making it a curious decision as to why they kept it as one full track in the first place, thus ruining the great flow they had going. Drone jazz is something I want to see explored more thoroughly, but with better playing and cohesive atmosphere.

All great albums in some form or another. What next?

waita break my streak nerd

correct basra opinion btw

>What next?
gilded palace of sin
or no-input mixing board

glad to see fish review back btw

see this is why you shoulda used a trip boy
its just a stretchable term thats why i asked, and depending on what you said i woulda given you a rec. now idrk tho
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/vampillia/the-divine-move-1/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/bobby_joe_ebola_and_the_children_macnuggits/carmelita_sings___visions_of_a_rock_apocalypse/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/pepe_deluxe/queen_of_the_wave/

;P

honestly idk how someone couldn't love Basra. Could see becoming sub-/daily/core if more people heard it

will do ;)

looks like I'm done!

I mean I haven't namefagged in forever but I guess it might be a good idea to come up with something if I'm gonna keep posting on here

Nice! Have you heard Turkish Women at the Bath? (You should)

I did a year and a half ago. I enjoyed it but I don't remember much about it. Time to revisit soon lol.

Yeah may have recced it for a tourney? Was in love with that album, haven’t listened in a while, should too

Also stop hating on iTunes, all the patricians use it desu

i will kill itunes

Not before I kill batfinks

Maybe, if patricians aren't willing to put 15 minutes aside to set up any better player

But there isn’t a better player for the superior platform that is macOS.

already dead fella

>what is Clementine

people who use itunes 'cause it works' are also dumb dumbs and maybe even a lil silly and also probably just this

the new SOTE is lit
youtube.com/watch?v=5X4_mjF2cyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5fFwauFJKyI

Does /daily/ support Stormcloaks or Imperials?

i support ignoring all new TES games and waiting for TR to be finished

>3.5
o fugggggg
Thrifted this CD for a buckaroo a few months back, maybe I'll give it another listen soon.

>9 for Basra
FUGGGG
The first song on this is one of the best jazz chunes ever.

We're too busy listening to good music loser

You know the drill lads..

I picked Chico Hamilton - The Dealer

Drugs are illegal.

Almost home
I got the 3 moody blues albums after DOFP to get through. Might as well formal review em.

Have you listened to it yet or what

Not yet, I was waiting for someone to tell me what to listen to because I'm incapable of making my own decisions.

I'm telling you to listen to it

Impressive.

mega.nz/#!bxJy1BRA!N5Pq8Cf_C7ccLai6GH2BDI0vsQXHJYWadbw9V8MMVEM here's the polska kurwa album you requested yesterday, bitrate might not be stellar but if you're real you don't give a fuck

>you don't use Sup Forums approved autism software despite the inferior software having clearer conveniences
lol you could say this about anything people use though. I'm sure you don't use ubuntu right?

and fyi I do use foobar quit often but use iTunes more often and to put music on my phone

y'all are autistic

thnk u king

>y'all are autistic
Yep

This is the only argument you need for using iTunes

As a person with a Mac, a PC and an Android phone, and both Apple Music and Spotify, Spotify has better integration than Apple Music with pretty much anything, and the software and library are often superior. However, Apple Music's proprietary integration is better, and the Cloud feature (also available on Google Play Music) is a very useful feature when it comes to getting obscure music off soulseek and onto your phone. I use my PC as my main music storage tho because mac disk space, and on there I just use Foob.

moodymann! :}

I’m rich so I bought a Swinsian for my Mac. It’s comfy

>and an android phone
this is where we differ. iTunes makes a lot of sense if you have an iPhone.

I use my gf's Spotify and it has virtually none of the music I want to listen too. All the obscure weebshit isn't on there.

>you will never be wealthy latvian man who can smell good pussy miles away
why live

did u just screenshot the itunes play button?

i was excited for bonito generation to be my first kpop album but this is *not* kpop haha

give me a few days and you'll see how i top you in using money in the most useless ways possible

Is this just foobar for rich old people's first computer?

Hmmmmmm this looks very good actually, might buy this.

Are ou gonna get the “I’m rich” app?
No, it’s literally iTunes with FLAC and you have to pay for it

It’s neat. Nowhere near foobar levels unfortunately but just slightly better than iTunes

>why live?
Fishmans

>bonito generation to be my first kpop album

They're British with a half-japanese vocalist goofy

Fishmans is so bad the guy diedd

Isn't Japan in Korea?

Why not get a free ALAC converter and buy fourty loaves of bread?

This would have been an ok post if I didn't forget how to spell "forty".

so i did listen to kpop huh.....

>Are ou gonna get the “I’m rich” app?
even better

Why did you post this?

only good fishmans opinion i've ever heard

>tfw too intelligent to use Apple products
How do I combat these feels? Rick and Morty and listening to Death Grips isn't cutting it anymore.

TR??
New TES?!?

does that make them uhh
j k u poop

why listen to app'le when you can listen to PEARS

god i hate that moodymann album cover

good otherwise

I have no bloody idea how the fuck am I supposed to feel about this album

Simply because I can.
Oh shit boi

dead thread

not as dead as shinji

>Diamanda Galás - All the Way
Diamanda is so much better when she's doing this deranged piano blues thing rather than, well, whatever the fuck she's doing on The Litanies of Satan. The reason I've been intrigued by her is because of this live version of There Are No More Tickets to the Funeral, where she kinda just rams on her piano aimlessly for a bit, then starts this ominous ballad that slowly descend into madness and screaming. Needless to say, I like this album! The raw power and emotion that comes from her voice make for both a thrilling and uncomfortable listen (I listened to it during Halloween for a reason), especially on You Don't Know What Love Is, probably the most overtly bluesy track on the album. On the other hand, I didn't care too much for The Thrill is Gone, and the instrumental Round Midnight is simply unnecessary, since Diamanda's forte has always been her voice, her piano playing is fine when it accompanies her singing but falls short when she tries to go for an instrumental. Other than that, really solid album that restored my interest in her music. 3.0+

>Blondie - Parallel Lines
Heart of Glass is great, obviously. The rest is nice, it's good pop music, but I feel it works better on, say, the dancefloor. Generally, this album's very casual listening stuff that easily fades into the background and while it's all nice, I can't say there's a lot of real standouts. 2.5

fuck, forgot chart

meme grabz from the symphomy sale
went straight for the jazz this time, paid off p well

Wwowoow....

yes

Where was this pic taken? Looks like Hungary or something.

How the fuck do I listen to like 15 albums and yet almost all of them are terrible

I listen my music 3,88% faster
I watch my anime at 1,10x (1,20x if it's evangelion)

am i patrician now?

>Marchen Station - World of Maquillage
Very curious record that mixes symphonic rock with atmospheric pop and some power metal

The thing is that i can't even place this in one context or another, it sounds like a fary metal but is also too agressive for that, how you would place it? metal made by elfs? wizard metal? i don't know, the two parts are there, i can feel them, but i can't mix them properly, sometimes even sounds pirate-like, as i say, it's a pretty curious record.

Will relisten for sure!

>how you would place it?
>mixes symphonic rock with atmospheric pop and some power metal

i don't mean the genres, i mean where would you place the imagery

weeaboo neckbeards

neckbeards like black and death metal, maybe even blackened death metal
power metal soliders on the other hand are manly and cute

Whoever recced this for huit, thanks because it's real nice

nbbmn sure... but what about only jazz january???

soundcloud.com/s-nianio/meduza-snianio-vllkutan

D-Beat December?
Faroese Folk February?
Jug Band July?
Sea Shanty September?