Change my mind

Change my mind,

College will soon be useless. You can learn almost anything nowadays on the internet. I'd argue if you wanted to learn how to code and program you could learn 100% of your skills from youtube and the internet. You can watch lectures on tons of things as well, and find so much knowledge on anything on the internet. You can literally teach yourself anything you want through the internet. We will not need universities for much soon.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YgGzAKP_HuM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yeah sure you could, but will you?

>you could learn 100% of your skills from youtube and the internet

But anyone who does is incessantly mocked. I've heard the phrase "youtube education" more times than I can count, and it was never said nicely.

I am, and have been for a few months now

but whats the difference, if youre just as good, why does it matter? is it just ego?

Yeah you can easily get a masters degree in any field using yutub and googel and get on the pajeet level. But will someone hire you? hmm

Discipline is one of the most important skills to be successful.
The Google-it-generation is on the best way to the digital dementia.

Thats not the issue. Getting a degree for it can. The point of colleges is learning yes but its also verification that you've learned such things. A guy can learn to chemical engineer form youtube and google, but nobody's going to hire them because they have no proof, but a guy with a degree is "certified" in that was that theyre verified by the state.

damn I never thought about it like that, that's a really clever viewpoint dude.

You are right
the same way watching Rick&Morty makes you a genius

>soon be useless
>soon

I know right college sucks. Let's make our own thing. We learn from youtube and internet. Altough we need a board of people who know what they are doing to approve the material presented on youtube and the internet for the people to learn. Also somehow we need to test the quality of the people who have learned their skills from youtube and the internet. Let's bundle this all together. Oh shit we have an education system again! Fuck!

All they have to say is prove it, and if they have learned it, they can prove it.

How retarded are you

for pajeet-level money? Yes

One more digit and it could be quads of truth

this is also a very good point, and this has been my point, if you know your shit you know it, if you dont you dont and you will fail at your job if you dont.

Here's another viewpoint-
People who go to college for years, rack-up a shit ton of debt.
People who owe a shit ton of debt are going to be VERY interested in finding a job and WORKING to pay-off that debt.
Employers have the cream of the crop in applicants, and can pick and choose who they wish to hire based on a lot of factors. A degree would be one of them.

People with degrees are extremely motivated to work. And work. And work some more.

People with a printed diploma from some online site? Not-so-much.

I was planning on going to college but I don't have money. People in IT don't have degrees right? Anyone have XP?

Self taught coders are being actively increasingly at this point since they have a tendency to approach problems differently to university educated people as well as to each other. There are dozens of good youtube channels as well as udemy course which you can pick up for 15$ plus things like code academy which is free and pretty solid. Since software is the main growing field of employment in developed countries and is one of the few fields putting money into universities that isn't bad debt there is probably going to be a severe negative impact felt as a result. That is the bigger problem btw, how many college students study useless shit that won't get them a job that pays high enough to actually repay their student debts. Growing student debt bubble is threatening the entire industry at this point.

There you go

>how many college students study useless shit that won't get them a job that pays high enough to actually repay their student debts. Growing student debt bubble is threatening the entire industry at this point.

There is indeed a high demand for code monkeys writing apps and website and or applications developer. However, ask them how to sort a binary tree, how compiler works, or how gradient descent works, and you'll filter out 99.99 %

Problem solving skills aren't gained by learning how to use java libraries. They take a long time of being occupied with problems and seeing how other people tackle these problems in different ways. That's why they say reading makes a man so smart (not talking about articles but real books and papers). So by combining these problem solving skills with field-specific tasks like the theory behind the field (stat, math, theory), you not only create domain experts but they can easily expand their learning / solving abilities to other domains.

This is my rebuttal:

youtube.com/watch?v=YgGzAKP_HuM

Think tanks. Universities pump out new inventions all the time because they have a whole bunch of really smart people all working together.

You are retarded, you could teach yourself by reading books hundreds of years ago. But no one will hire you if there is no proof that you have skills. You do realize, that you can apply for college, learn everything at home without ever going to the lectures and then just ace the exams. If it's so easy, why don't you do it?

Thread closed

THANK YOU thats so awesome

student loans and debt

Prove what? Every single part of the things he should know? Bachelors take 3 years, most people do another 2 years for master. How in the fuck do you wanna prove 5 years of learning in a job interview of maybe an hour?
Stop asking people how retarded they are and face that you are the only retard here.

Thank god I am not a stupid Ameritard

>Guys trust me, you don't need a college education
>Just buy my book and I show you how to get the '"real life"" equivalent

t. Any self-help 'guru'

Of course.

College/degrees are bullshit, but it’s a rat race you want to win.

Go to college. Get degree. Earn a lot more money than you would make flipping burgers.

It’s all game. You just gotta play the game and play it well to win.

These guys deserve to be executed

>i watched a guy perform chemical reactions on a jewtube bideo, now im a chemist :------D

fuck off

College may soon be useless, the skills you got still remain relevant. Its main use is to prove worth to future emploier but its going to the shitter since they hire women/and make the courses easier gradualy loosing value to company. Modern online course (those teacher assisted) will deliver a document proving you completed the course with succes.

Taught myself my profession via the internet plus trial and error.
Shtf a few times over and now I have nothing to show for it except conceptual abilities.
Had I gone to college I'd be more than broke, but I'd have a piece of paper that says I've been presented the information and did an adequate job reciting it.

Got a glassblowing friend who's better than the majority of the industry, but because he didn't get that "bachelor's of fine art" paper, he gets passed up all the time.

>It’s all game. You just gotta play the game and play it well to win.
This.

This is a game, and you are playing, weather you want to or not.
So you might as well win.
Watch out for cheaters.

im currently on a break from the game, i realised that everything isnt really real and so Im on a hiatus from school. I graduated with an associates in sicence but just have no idea where I wanted to go from there. Im trying to figure out how I can play a game and not be miserable in my choices

I tried to help someone earlier by looking up a guide to SQL. Easy right, you can probably find a full text guide online? It wasn't easy, it was just hundreds of partially complete beginners guides. Getting taught by a database designer (that is the guy who makes the database languages themselves) was much better.

Well there are those that go to college and make business connections for the future in whatever field they go in. Also Fraternities may have the stigma of just being about partying a fair amount of them end up making connections among each other for future business either through a job or to do business with.

Nope nope nope. You're wrong. I'm a CS major, and having a degree is essential for 99% of jobs. If I ever own my own company, a degree will be required as well.

Degree = good student, willing to work hard = good worker = good employee.

Nobody wants some fat fucking neckbeard who learned java from youtube.

I'm in my senior year studying chemistry and I'm on my way to pharmacy school.
College is useless depending on what degree you decided to pursue. Like if you get a music or art degree, you'll just end up working at a gas station.

I learned to be a stunt dick from the internets

Would you require a degree from a maintainer of a major open source project whose code you can see online? Of course. Don't be a retard. But that's rare.

You do need to have real work under your belt. Toy projects and college work have nothing to do with real world programming and on the job training. I learned more on Day One of my job than I learned in 4 years of college.

The problem is NOT that you can't learn from YouTube. It's that there are dipshits who have ruined it.

I just had a friend leave a job. Their lead programmer was self taught. He posted a job offering for a FRONT END DEVELOPER where he said they would be expected to know SQL and shell scripting.

They had 0 serious responses after 6 months of posting. No intelligent programmer in the world wanted to work for such morons.

So self taught is fine. But you goddamn well better either A) sell a product, like demonstrate your Android App generated $revenue. Or B) Have code merged to reputable open source projects. Without that, I have no idea why I should hire you. A degree doesn't actually tell me someone can code, but it foes say they'll jumo through hoops to get to the reward, and that's good for me.

Try and get any high-wage profession/career without a legally binding degree, you underaged, retarded faggot.

How is someone supposed to know you're proficient in that area, though? College is more of an investment than anything else. You get 'certified ' in your field per say

Not everyone racks up an enormous amount of debt from school. I went to a community college and got a degree in nursing. Within 4 months of working everything was paid off. Although you can rack it up if you're some dumbass kid fresh out of HS who just HAS to go to a big state university with no type of scholarship or aide.

From my experience, if you have two people who have equal knowledge, the guy with the degree will have an advantage in interviews. It's an official way of certifying you know something and eases the interviewer's mind that you may be bluffing or lying. Granted if the interview goes on long and deep enough then you can typically smell bullshit.

Honestly I've met smart and dumb people with and without degrees. What really shows is the projects and work you do in your job. If you can go into a deep conversation with someone on a topic or experience, then it shows more than your resume ever will. Think of your resume lines as titles of chapters in your life. Those chapters should be filled with some good stuff that you can talk about a lot.

A degree certifies that at least one of those chapters isn't bullshit.

College was always useless once the plebs began to use it

You've always been able to do this, and it's always always been harder because you have to create your own path. Just going to college and getting a degree is easier because it involves less thought and less effort to get a job, comparatively speaking and unless you get a shit degree.