Why does Evil Dead get a pass for transitioning to comedy, but not Freddy?

Why does Evil Dead get a pass for transitioning to comedy, but not Freddy?

Why is Freddy's turn into a sort of parody of himself considered to be the thing that killed the franchise? Robert Englund was so fucking awesome, in every scene he had in all 8 Freddy movies. If anything, it was the lackluster casts of boring nobody teens that plagued the sequels. But to me, nightmare 1= evil dead, freddy's dead= evil dead 2.

What's not to love about Freddy's Dead? It was the first sequel since Dream Warriors to be coherent enough to follow from start to finish, it brought some creepy new elements like the dystopian 'freddy apocalypse', where he killed almost all the teens on earth and left the adults scarred. Freddy was basically a god at this point, and had crazy power in the dream world.

Robert Englund was at the top of his game here, the dreams were the most imaginative in the entire franchise, but what i loved most was how creepy Freddy was, even though he wasn't as physically intimidating as he used to be. He didn't give no fucks this time, he was gonna play around with you and fuck with your head before ending your life.

i was exposed to 3 and 4 first and the tv show. to me that was freddy. when i finally watched the 1st one i was disappointed he wasn't making quips and bad puns, breaking the 4th wall and killing people in elaborate poetic ways

>What's not to love about Freddy's Dead?

Was that the one with the power glove?

That shit was so fucking stupid

Because Freddy didn't start off as comical and it became really wacky at the end.

>the dreams were the most imaginative in the entire franchise

Dude video games lol

freddy's dead is one of my favorites desu

i think people single the series out because the first one is genuinely unnerving, and a lot of kids grew up having nightmares about freddy. they get older and see how the series turned to self parody and it upsets them because they once experienced real fear regarding the subject matter. that's just a guess though, i didn't see any nightmare flick until a few years ago when i marathoned all of them. I loved and appreciated each one so i'm just assuming this was the big reason.

i mean, nobody had nightmares about evil dead. most kids i knew never heard of it but everyone knew who freddy was.

The Nightmare series is well liked as a whole, and Freddy was comical as early as Dream Warriors. The reason Freddy's Dead is criticized isn't because it's comedic but because it's a bad movie. I do think it's fun to watch regardless though.

That shit was awesome.

You guys would seriously rather see Freddy just drag teens down to his boiler room for the twelfth time and slash them to death over and over again for the whole franchise? That would have been boring as shit.

I loved how he started really digging into their individual psyches to torment them.

Freddy never just "dragged teens down to his boiler room." The series was filled with cool death scenes from the very beginning. Johnny Depp being sucked into his bed and spat out beats all of the deaths in Part 6 combined

>That shit was awesome.

Good review, really made me think, can I get a link to your youtube review channel so I can subscribe?

I really don't see how it's a bad movie. It's actors, set pieces, story, and special effects were all better than Freddy's Revenge, Dream Master, and Dream Child.

Freddy as a witch, Freddy driving a truck, the power glove, it may seem silly but it was so surreal and dreamlike.

I'll take all that over the terrible 'you are what you eat!' Scene in dream child.

Nightmare 1 will always be the best, but it is a straight up horror movie and i honestly can't see how they would have been able to keep Freddy that scary after exposing us to him for 8 installments. He was CREEPY in Freddy's dead. Creepy, not scary. Creepy as in i still wouldn't want to be within 200 miles of that guy, but not scary like oh shit i feel like running.

It's bad because it's the same rehashed plot of the "Elm Street kids" except watered down and all of the oomph taken out. Say what you want about other films in the series but at least they tried new things. Watching Freddy's Dead like watching the Disney version of Dream Warriors.

Like I said I still think it's fun to watch, and it's certainly better than that gay piece of shit Freddy's Revenge.

I also think Freddy's Dead is way better than New Nightmare. New Nightmare was a cool concept, but they failed at making him scary again, and the pacing was dreadfully slow.

>It's actors
>it is actors

Lol

Also the movie was fucking stupid rehashed garbage with terrible special effects, those worm things especially stand out in my memory, terribly animated and goofy

And then at the end she shoves a bomb in him and Freddy looks right into the camera with this stupid fucking face, shrugs and goes "Kids!" like it's a Saturday morning cartoon show lol

Movie deserves its reputation

I disagree completely, New Nightmare is great, right up there with the original and Dream Warriors.

>they failed at making him scary again
Him who? Freddy isn't in New Nightmare, but if you're talking about the demon I thought he was rather creepy in his own way

>Why does Evil Dead get a pass for transitioning to comedy, but not Freddy?
Evil Dead started out as an incredibly low-budget movie made by a group of friends who tried to make a serious horror movie, but also threw in a few Three Stooges references. It was never really a hit, but the audience that did find it enjoyed it as a somewhat-funny low-budget schlockfest. The sequel, which was much more successful had a ton of comedy in it, and that was continued into the third movie.

Nightmare on Elm Street was a mainstream horror movie director by a big-name horror director that took itself seriously. It was popular because people like it as a straight horror film, and that's what people saw it as until the movies started getting more comedic to the point of ridiculousness.

Basically, Evil Dead has always been a cult franchise where comedy is a big part of why people like it. The Elm street series were horror movies that turned into comedy. Evil Dead gets a pass because the tone of the series, and why people liked it, never really changed.

>Freddy isn't in New Nightmare

Weak bait

Freddy's Dead is the worst of the franchise.

1 ≥ 3 > New Nightmare > 4 > 5 > 2 > 6

I like all of them, though. The problem I have with Freddy's Dead is also what I like about where the franchise went. They tried something new, which is commendable, but the stories were just spinning out of control and deviated too far from what they used to be. That gave life to the real star of the franchise: the practical effects. This franchise has some of the best and most creative practical effects of the 80's and they don't get enough credit.

I really don't agree with any of your points (that's fine), but I especially don't understand how you thought the acting was any better. I think it has the most irritating performances out of all the movies (John Doe and Carlos, primarily). It's the only movie in the series I refuse to watch again because I can't tolerate anything in it. I'm not a fan of Dream Child, but I can at least appreciate the gothic imagery in it. Freddy's Dead has no style at all.

How is it bait? Watch the movie again retard

Nah, 2 is the worst. Freddy's Dead might be incredibly stupid but at least it's enjoyable. Freddy's Revenge is boring as fuck

Oh, shit! I guess I'm wrong. Thanks for clearing up the record.

you're welcome faggot

1 = 3 = NN >>>>> 4 > FvJ > 5 > 6 > 2 >>>>>>>>> dogshit >>>>>>>>>> 2010 remake

1>6>3>NN>4>FvJ>5>2>>>>>>>>rehash.

I said it before and i'll say it again, Freddy's Dead is awesome, one of the best, and a work of genius.

really?

>the final nightmare
>f13:the final chapter
wew

Freddy's Dead would've been fine if Fred's actual death wasn't the stupidest fucking thing in the whole franchise. All of his other "defeats" were satisfyingly clever in one way or another (even the one in Dream Master that didn't make much sense), but bringing him to the irl world just to stab him and blow him up with dynamite was fucking lame.

That scene was gloriously creepy. I don't know what you're thinking.

Why does everyone prefer Freddy to just slaughter everyone right away? It's so much better when he fucks with them

I feel the entirely movie like a Looney Toons episode.

It's high art that casuals can't understand. It's Lovecraftian with a little stephen king thrown in.

Freddy's Dead is unironically kino in its purest form.

man, the movie is a complete joke, is too cartonish to take serious. The earlier movies had comical scenes but this is just ridiculous.

And a dynamite to finish with Freddy, really?... I could have think in something better.

New nightmare is paced really horribly at the start then finds it's footing about 35 minutes in. Unfortunately, Heather Lagenkamp is an awful actress and couldn't really carry the movie. New Nightmare also had one of the weakest final confrontations of the entire film series.

In summary: Shit opening, good middle, weak ending.

Stephen King is shit and this dogshit should not be compared with Lovecraft in any aspect

>You guys would seriously rather see Freddy just drag teens down to his boiler room for the twelfth time and slash them to death over and over again for the whole franchise?

You don't need to go that extreme. Dream Warriors is a perfect example of great balancing between how intimidating Freddy can be and how creative he can get with dream scenarios. IMO, Freddy's Dead went overboard with the latter while completely forgetting the former.

I literally just watched this movie. Some good stuff, but overall it's a mess.

>I'm not a fan of Dream Child, but I can at least appreciate the gothic imagery in it.

Me too. That climax in the castle looks great, I've always liked it.

Especially when he pushed that nail board onto the road. That's when I was wondering if I was watching a horror movie or a children's cartoon.

I'll have to rewatch Dream Warriors, its been 2 or 3 years. I was just marathoning every sequel after it that i've never seen.

Anyways Katherine Krueger from Freddy's Dead was total waifu material.

Yeah, I honestly feel like it could've been a pretty solid sequel if it had more of a balance in tone like Dream Warriors. I still sorta like it though. I have a soft spot for Alice.

Pic related is still the best Nightmarefu.

You should, Dream Warriors is one of the best sequels.
I like Alice too, but like this user Kristen will always be my favorite protagonist of the series.

Kristen and new nightmare nancy/heather are god-tier nightmarefu

Out of the major slasher franchises, I feel like Elm Street had the prettiest gals in general.

You guys must be really young, when Freddys Dead was released in the cinema the main marketing point was that it was in 3D, the only reason me and my friends went to see it, it was pretty cool for a novelty

I love the ending, different strokes I guess. Also Lagenkamp isn't very good but she's necessary for what Craven was going for, the way the story connects to the original is pretty brilliant.

I do agree the film takes a little while to get going, but overall I loved it.

Agreed. Kristen, Alice, Lisa, the punk chick in Dream Warriors, Kristen's replacement in Dream Child and even Nancy. All super qt3.14s.

Fuck, meant Kristen's replacement in Dream Master.

/thread

The franchsie should have ended in Dream Warriors.

Having said that, not using Englund for the reboot was the stupidest thing ever. The new Freddy was so lame i fell sorry for the actor who signed thinking he was for a big step in his career

2nd one was the best SQL, all the gay undertones were hilarious

The second has the gay and 3&4 are kino. I wish Patricia Arquette was in 4 but otherwise meh.

Evil Dead is the best imo but the change is fine because it did it well with good cinematography and it's always bmovie horror.

Bruce Campbell is just a fun guy overall.

Have they gotten Army of Darkness rights yet?

>i fell sorry for the actor
don't, he's had a good career regardless.

Am I the only one not really that bothered by the gay shit in Freddy's Revenge? I mean, it makes some scenes be unintentionally hilarious and him showing up at the pool party takes a shit on the series' canon, sure, but overall I think of it as a solid sequel. It maintains the tone of the original in terms of creepiness, Freddy is still pretty intimidating and has some of the most memorable scenes of the entire franchise (Freddy ripping Jesse apart from the inside, Freddy cutting him own head open and exposing his brains, both the opening and ending sequences).

I actually really like Freddy's Revenge. The tone is much closer to the original than most of the sequels. It's campy at times, but I think it works overall. It was also the first movie in the series that I saw, so it has a special place in my heart.

Yeah I agree. I never really understood people completely dismissing the movie just saying "lol it's gay af lmao". Putting all the awkward gay undertones aside, there's a pretty solid ANoES film there.

It wasn't the gay undertones that made it suck, it was how boring it was, as well as throwing out all continuity from the first one. What happened to freddy haunting dreams? Now he just wants to slash kids at a pool party?

Freddy's Dead was way better.

3 is way closer to the tone of 1, if 4 had Arquette in the first 30 minutes it could have kept the continuity going. Why did Kincaid come and the other guy return but not Arquette?

2 is just bleh as fuck imo and it's the gay is literally the only reason Jesse was possessed.

Not the user you're responding to, but I do understand people's complaints about the continuity issues. I'll never understand the appeal of Freddy's Dead though. That movie is just painful to watch.

Let's just agree to disagree then, because I never really found Freddy's Revenge to be boring or "bleh" tbf. And I really don't like Freddy's Dead.

About Arquette not returning though, there's this:

>No one interviewed in the Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy documentary seems to know for sure why Arquette didn’t come back. However, there is one obvious explanation pretty easily verifiable based upon the birth-date of Arquette’s son (1/3/1989): she was probably pregnant when Elm Street 4 was filming in early-mid 1988. That may or may not be the real reason, but in the absence of any kind of explanation it’s at least one potential contributing factor.

Never Sleep Again is fucking great btw, I'd recommend it if you guys haven't checked it out yet.

Perhaps it could be that i watched it stoned off my ass lol. To me it was just a fun, hilarious, creepy ride. I was laughing just about the whole way through. Spencer's death killed me. As soon as in-a-gadda-de-vida came on i was rotfl.

Some of the dialogue struck me in the funny bone too. When carlos i think asked the blonde chick why John Doe told them not to fall asleep, and she goes, "cuz he's a lame-o freak", i lol'd, because he really was.

I watched it, sad Wes Kraven is dead but yknow it happens.

Damn Arquette is MOMMY as fuck. I've been watching Medium on what used to be the tv guide channel and she's pretty good.

I like that episode of Tales From The Crypt with her.

Freddy's Nightmares is criminally underrated imo.

this

the gay stuff isn't the problem, it's just dull

I wish Freddy vs Jason 2 could have happened even if it was dumb as fuck.

Didn't even know there was a comic sequel until recent honestly.

I need to check Freddy's Nightmares out sometime, if only out of curiosity. I've never seen it for some reason.

First episode had Freddy's origin and the follow up to that episode is pretty good.

He wasn't going after little girls the whole time by that show's first episode.

GOD DAMN IT SOMEBODY JUST SET UP A FUCKING STREAM ALREADY SO WE CAN SORT THIS OUT ONCE AND FOR ALL

I'm curious to see how they handle that in a series format. Thanks user, will watch it

live, freddy

just like evil dead?

>STREAM
We need this w/ chat for maximum comfy

Yeah, I always like it. Freddy's "scariness" is kept intact compared to most of the rest of the series.

Though part of me wonders if I rate it higher, at least as far as entertainment value is concerned, compared to the other sequels because I saw 3 through 6 close to a decade after watching 1, 2 and NN.

THIS IS A FREDDY'S DEAD THREAD WHERE WE TALK ABOUT FREDDY'S DEAD, NOT FREDDY'S REVENGE

It's not the gay camp so much as how dull the movie feels. A lot of the tension and creeping dread of the original is completely absent. The movie wastes so much time bringing Freddy into the real world that it misses so much of what made him terrifying just so he can chase a bunch of teens around at a pool party.

There's a few individual good scenes, like the brain exposure or when he bursts of the guy's body, but it's by and large a dull affair. The gayness is probably one of the saving graces.

I prefer Freddy's Dead because at least Robert Englund looks like he's having fun and that's kind of infectious.

Ah hell, if you have a good time with it, that's cool by me. I just prefer the darker Freddy.

>Why does Evil Dead get a pass for transitioning to comedy, but not Freddy?
Because the people who made The Evil Dead were better at it, plain and simple. This is coming from someone who heavily prefers the horror movies in each series to the "comedies."

It triggers my autism how those movies kept breaking their own rules.
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure only 1, 3, and 7 have consistency. They're also the only legitimately good films in the franchise.