What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Literally nothing.

It's some of the best speculative-fiction television ever produced.

It's also a great pleb-filter.

*Sup Forums filter

K.Dick is hard to adapt

his complete novels are, because they frequently ran out of steam towards the end

his short stories do much better

It's 2016 and if we wanted to watch a show about Nazis, we could turn on Fox News.

so fanny

Never watched it, what's the backstory on why America is NatSoc? Don't tell me they fell for the Hitler wanted to conquer the world meme.

Axis won WW2

Near the start of WWII the US falls victim to a massive homegrown fascist uprising/civil war. It ends decisively when Germany builds the first atomic bomb and detonates it in Washington DC, decapitating the government. The US is divided into a West Coast occupied by Japan, an east coast with a nominally independent fascist government of its own that's pledged loyalty to the Third Reich, and the Rocky Mountains as a lawless neutral zone full of crime and freedom.

pretty funny

The sci-fi part, it would have been a much more interesting story to just have it explore an alternate reality without some bullshit about inter-universe films.

It's pretty good though.

It's unironically the most pro-Nazi thing I've ever seen

I mean holy shit they even have a guy who admits to having participated in the Holocaust - and is still an extremely brave, loyal, competent, rational and even forgiving officer with a singleminded determination to prevent the world from disappearing in nuclear fire.

Smith isn't shown that positively, it's just that so many works show Nazis as cartoon-tier villains that it seems weird when some show presents them as human beings.

>Joe comes in and tells Smith the resistance girl got away
>Smith says "You have failed your mission"
>Joe's entire body clenches rigid as Smith stands up from his desk, walks over... and pats Joe on the shoulder saying "It happens to all of us, you'll get them next time."

DUDE NAZIS WERE BAD LMAO

The novel is also a sci-fi story.

>Canada
Canada

On February 15th, 1933, Giuseppe Zangara succeeds in assassinating FDR, which he failed to do in our universe.
Replaced by John Nance Garner, America never fully recovers from the Great Depression and pursues an ardent agenda of isolationism as WWII begins in the European and Pacific spheres.
Without American munitions and support, Adolf Hitler pursues undertaking Operation Sea Lion in 1941 rather that Operation Barbarossa, not violating the Soviet Non-Aggression Pact and successfully conquering Britain and the weakened remainders of Europe by 1946. Japan leads a full-scale invasion of Australia after conquering Europe.
Without Perl Harbor, America remains isolationist and seeks a non-aggression pact with the greater Axis Powers.
America ultimately breaks out into Civil War as pro-Axis factions of homegrown fascists (often funded in secret by Nazi Germany) declare war on democratic government in 1949, which Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan take advantage of, launching a full-scale invasion of the US.
America ultimately surrenders in 1951 after a Nazi Thermonuclear attack vaporizes Washington DC, killing the majority of American leadership.
Imperial Japan and the Greater Nazi Reich stage a joint-invasion of Russia in the 1950's. The last remaining super-power falls and Joseph Stalin is executed as an enemy of the Axis in 1957.
The story takes place in 1962 as a Cold War has developed between the Japanese Empire and the Reich.

>Atlantropa
Shit is so cool

>What went wrong?

It isnt real life

>Japan leads a full-scale invasion of Australia after conquering Europe.

Sorry, meant "China".

nice

>Canada just hanging out

immersion broken

Had a big ol case of no progress being made after like the fifth episode

How did Canada survive

Chuckled.

You very clearly weren't paying attention.

>Canada didn't die on its feet
>diagonal border gore in Sputh America
>the Italians managed to fill in the Mediterranean

Writers don't know where they are going. They should have stick to the book.

It will become a new Sliders.

Low population, zero military strength, no desirable natural resources or farming land.

Not a threat, not a desired target. Just there. Not worth annexing for the Reich or the Japanese Empire.

Looks a bit like sheev after the enlightening.

I payed a decent to high amount of attention

>no natural resources or farm land
But the entire middle section of Canada is farms and oil.

>Japanese Empire
What about all the chinks in vancouver??

so fucking boring

Ask Netflix

Anyone else start to really think after reading this post?

>Ywn live ina world without Jews
Life is suffering, bros

>Seelowe
>succeeding ever
pls

I hate those "country takes over the world!!!" scenarios, they're always so retarded.

Except it's remarkably unrealistic

is all of this in the show? at least mentioned?

They turned Heydrich into a little bitch

Is this that Wolfenstein show

Your life would still be shit and you would still be bitching on an anonymous image board for suicide

ye

They failed to capture the atmosphere of the book. The book is about people who have become accustomed to the new order. Everything is very everyday, however strange the world may be to the reader. In this show, it's as if they're all waiting to the second American revolution to come. Everybody remembers freedom clearly. That's contrary to the spirit of the book. In the book, they have resigned themselves to the new order, just as the Germans and Japanese have in ours. It is supposed to make you think, "What do I accept about the world as normal and right which may be no more than an accident of history?"

Epic, I'm sharing this on facebook

The first episode did it pretty alright, honestly. Shame about the rest.

Wow, how dare a show about the Nazis winning be unrealistic

Please tell me you're not under some delusion Germany ever had a chance. Especially not after starting a war on three fronts.

Nazi's weren't the good guys

That fucking scene. I want to be like that guy, except for the whole holocaust thing.

The alternative scenario is one where the US never enters the war and succumbs to fascism.

>Please tell me you're not under some delusion Germany ever had a chance
No, I'm saying if they did, it would be nothing like the show depicts.

It's just as realistic as Nazi Germany ever having a chance in our universe. Hitler was a god damned disaster of a strategist.

Oh, and the Germans acquire the nuke first, so many nations surrender.

Canada is full of oil and syrup.

You're telling me these two countries that took over 90% of the earth were just like "nah keep it" to the last bit of free land? What's remotely of worth in Africa that they decided to go ahead and annex that?

I know, but if he had gotten the nuke first, if Western Europe couldn't depend on the Americans and the Russians therefore couldn't depend on the Western Europeans, he might have succeeded in spite of his terrible strategy. A single nuke on London would have brought hostilities in Western Europe to a close. Hitler would not have been merciful with that technology. Unconditional surrender.

Diamonds, exotic fur and fruits, possible tourism after Nazi science takes care of diseases and airborne viruses, also slave labor.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantropa

It shares a border a with the Japanese Empire. Might worsen cold war tensions if annexed.

Fucking Krauts are batshit insane.

Nothing?

Maybe too much love story is all but it's not too bad I guess

Actually, this could work given some circumstances. That's the most hilarious thing about it. Would likely be an ecological catastrophe though but we could likely drain the middle sea.

>Pleb filter
>He likes TMITHC
You're right, user, it's a great pleb filter!

Of course it could work. That's the worst thing about Krauts and their Faustian fucking instincts. They try to put them into practice because they look good on paper. Fucking absolute madmen.

Well they aren't the only ones, the Japanese for example are just as bad. The Chinese also have the tendency but they're corrupt to the bone and thus fuck stuff up before it comes to a head.

Then again, if you look at the French they usually have the ideas, the plans and then fail to put them in motion. Recently they increasingly outsource them to the Germans with the expected results, look at the EU. In theory a great way to bring about unity, peace, prosperity and end conflict. In effect increasingly an Orwellian autoritan superstate.

I was amused, it was a stupid premise.

basically hitler had a special playbook that told him all the things he should've done (that's the big change, hitler has help from a time traveler).

the Nazi's and Imperial Japanese in IRL were basically just as incompetent/corrupt/stupid as Fascist Italy, just luckier early on.

It is definitely worth sticking it out

I know the show drags a bit in the middle, and not all the characters have equally interesting storylines

The biggest problem is I think you're supposed to think the main female character is attractive

>no desirable natural resources or farming land.

lol what? Canada is loaded with minerals like gold, uranium, nickel, copper and etc. not to mention the shit ton of oil and farmland it has.

Obergruppenführer Smith wasn't the MC

At least the French do their crazy schemes in a human sort of way. They say, "everybody should be free and equal", then get pissed at the monarchy and chop off a few hundred heads before calling it quits. The Germans say, "we need a greater German empire" and then coldly plot to depopulate Eastern Europe retaining only the healthy survivors as slaves, and then they acrually try to do it. I'd take a temporary reign of terror over a sustainable tyranny any day.

SO true!

french are a bunch of romantics, with romantic notions.

the germans are literally autistic. They wasted so much fucking effort on fucking metal tins for gas-masks.

>germans occupy america
>this means that the american army uses german ranks and uniforms
literally inaccurate on every front, pleb-tier alternate history and kike masturbation material

jesus, poor guy

>Canada
As a Canadian, I understand the meme outrage over the "We're The Millers" poster now.

LEAFS BTFO

>Wow, how dare a show about the Nazis winning be unrealistic

Even if the Nazis had actually managed to win the war in Europe there was no chance of them being able to mount a major offensive over the Atlantic when they couldn't even cross the English channel.

Me and my wife's son laughed at this.

Dropped it after watching a trailer where the nazis were boasting in a propaganda broadcast about not having freedom in their empire. It was corny af and immersion breaking. No occupying force would be that retarded to think that this would be a good way to get the locals on their side.

First episode was horribly slow and predictable. I can't believe so many people love this show and pretend it's good. It was nothing but character development but all the characters were cliched and obvious. I'd rather read the book than attempt to watch another episode of this poorly directed plodding piece of trash.

It can be summarized as bad directing
The Actors aren't that bad, it's blatant they were commanded to overact and be unreasonable about their emotions over the decisions they took over the course of the plot.
Some scenes are longer than they needed to be.
The romance is, as always, corny and bad.

Very little. They didn't delve much into the i-ching or explain what the videos were.
The main characters weren't that interesting, although the setting was.

Also:
>"Hirohito" Airport in Japanese occupied land
>The word "Nazi" any thing actually controlled by the Nazis.
>Played up a little much the euthanasia, which was controversial in Germany and would have been far more so in the former USA.
>Not enough time exploring the power struggles and too much time in the buffer zone

All and all though it was pretty good.

wouldn't damming the Mediterranean raise global sea levels?

The United States was a forerunner in planned sterilizations and consequently eugenics. We already committed one genocide in our history and subsequently romanticized it. We would embrace another genocide as long as were given a excuse.

Sterilization != euthanasia
Although it is apart of eugenics which many parts of the US did support pre-WW2.

But euthanasia is radically different. It's one thing to say these people have bad genes and should not reproduce and another to say these people have bad genes and need to be destroyed.

As for the genocide, disease killed far far more of the natives than the Americans or any other European power. The United States waged war on the Indians, but you cannot view that through the prism of 21st century morality. They were competing for land and resources, they were the other, and any killing of non-combatants were usually seen as reprisals rather than as a way to eradicate them.
And again cannot be equated to euthanasia.

The whole scenario is stupid as fuck because:

>Operation sealion being able to succeed against the Royal navy, ever.
>Stalin not seizing his chance to invade a weakened Europe, as he was probably preparing to do, just prior to Barbarossa.
>Germany and japan being able to hold down that much territory.

the Nazis planned to give land back to native americans, they were even declared Aryan by Goebbels, does this show ever touch on this or is it just "Nazis are cartoon villains".

lmao

Aww he's like the dad.

I'm interested to see where his arc goes now that his son basically needs to be euthanized.

Goddamn, I want to make love to that man. I might even bottom for him as long as we cuddle for a long time afterwards.

Why isn't her/his shoes logofied?

Fuck white people amirite xDDD

I'm not sure why Drumpf is the insult they hold onto.

post based characters

he's absolutely based and did nothing wrong

i watched it as it was airing and i find that i've somewhat forgotten a lot of what happened, which probably isn't a good sign
but from what i recall
>doesn't portray nazis as literal demons, they are humans that make realistic actions (with some exceptions, marshall is a good one)
>japan peace coward doesn't get anything he wants
>a lot of the plot concerning girl and nazi spy is dumb
>gunsmith is pretty based half of the time
>hitler uses magic kino to guide him to victory

>canada
>no natural resources