I want to write music in time signatures other than 4/4. I envy venetian snares and his 7/4 signatures...

I want to write music in time signatures other than 4/4. I envy venetian snares and his 7/4 signatures, and I really want to consciously work polyrhythms into my songs, but even trying to think outside of 4/4 time melts my brain.
When I can actually hear the rhythm, I can't begin to imagine how to write a song in it, 4/4 time is so ingrained into my head.

How can I start writing in signatures other than 4/4?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fQ0H49aL2EA
a.pomf.cat/sdxafx.wav
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

add an extra beat lmao

all the melodies and rhythms are in 4/4, you're trying to describe red to a blind person here

I'd say 6/8 is definitely the best starting point, as it essentially has a half note triplet over 4/4/ feel. From there, move on to something more odd but not quite too far off like 5/4. The trick is to structure your phrasing around the time signature rather than just changing a 4/4 song to fit somewhere else.

all the melodies and rhythms I know, rather

I guess my confusion stems from the fact that I have 0 classical/formal music training so half these terms are completely foreign to me

Generally, cut or add is the easy way to do it, the though thing is doing it without making it seem like you're screwing with something that's in 4/4. A few examples include The Beatles' Here Comes the Sun, which halfway through
in the bridge features a series of 3/8 sections followed by 5/8 sections. That's just one example, though. 3/4 is the easiest one to work because that one is also common - pretty much all waltzes are in 3/4, and something like My Name Is Jonas is also in 3/4. Though, the "easy" ones to learn entirely is 3/8 and 5/8, because they have the least number of possibilities (particularly 3/8).

Just practice one simple weird beat and drill it into your head. Once it becomes second nature then start improvising on top of it or writing melodies for it

Also, listen to some songs in those time signatures and get the structures into your head. Some songs in 6/8 include "Oh Darling" by the Beatles and "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals while songs in 5/4 include Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" (obviously) and the Kid A version of "Morning Bell" by Radiohead.

If you want to start naturally thinking in different time signatures listen to some of the prog meme albums. If you already have 4/4 stuck in your head you'll be able to tell when it changes. When the rhythm sounds different count the beats, this will give you rudimentary glimpses into what music into what you can do with different time signatures.

maybe try 3/4 first

youtube.com/watch?v=fQ0H49aL2EA

there is a 5/4 section in there if you want an idea

Listen to stuff in weird times, i.e. progressive rock and emo. You'll develop a natural feel for it. I would recommend Yes and Dismemberment Plan, maybe XTC for some polyrhythnic shenanigans

use a metronome or drum machine or sequencer or whatever set to the time signature you want to use

>I envy venetian snares and his 7/4 signatures,
just use a tracker and add extra steps lmao

Don't force writing music, it's how shitty music is created

Just count your beats and add emphasis to the last one or first one. Then move on and add emphasis to whatever beat you like. It's really not hard at all. Polyrythms, now that's another thing. I'd never been able to work a 4/4 time signature with one hand and 7/4 with the other for instance, that shit hard as fuck lol.

>1
First step is always listening. When i comes to rhythms that sound odd to you, you should try simple and clear pieces which expose the oddness in a clear and hearable way. For example try greek folk/wedding music or indian lovesongs, etc

>2
Practice is the mother of masterhood. Make your own odd beat and simple practice it in any way no matter if you play the piano and just hit one key, drums, or talk rhythmically. Over time you will assimilate the oddness and start to feel where is room for your expression. It may be hard to stick to the weird, pointless feeling for a while but you will surely make progress in indulgence and infatuation.

no, doing what's easy or fun and never challenging yourself is how shitty music is created

just go on FL studio and fuck with the beats dude

>I'd never been able to work a 4/4 time signature with one hand and 7/4 with the other for instance, that shit hard as fuck lol.
it's easy if you practice tapping your fingers or whatever

i wrote something in 25/16 and 19/16 and a bunch of other stuff for fun in famitracker
a.pomf.cat/sdxafx.wav

Start with the percussion. Like, do a 7/4 of kicks, then add snares or whatever else until a loop of it sounds natural to you. Then play a couple of chords over it and see how that sounds. By that point, melody should come fairly easily

follow your heart