Artists that evolved their sound in a short span of time

Ever since I first listened to Post, I've been a fan of it, but just listened to Homogenic for the first time recently and it's insane how much she developed her style and sound in 2 years. While Post is really eclectic and avoids using cookie-cutter beats, Homogenic is goddamn chaotic and maddening by comparison. It feels alien.

So, what are some other artists that changed their sound from album to album so drastically? Bonus points for artists who don't constantly do this (like Animal Collective). More bonus points if people don't immediately list Radiohead, because of course Radiohead's transition from The Bends to OK Computer to Kid A is well-known by most people here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Twj0i8yXRrI
youtube.com/watch?v=7UjvdZm-Tu8
youtu.be/0_z_UEuEMAo
youtu.be/97cq4NDj9hE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Funny how almost getting the ol' facemelter can change someone.

No better example than the bee tolls

Which albums? Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Sgt. Pepper's? Outside of one or two tracks per album I wouldn't call the transition drastic, but I can see this.

Bowie, from Ziggy Stardust to Young Americans to Low to Scary Monsters.

bumpo

Radiohead from Pablo Honey to fucking Ok Computer and then Kid A

Fuck you Satan

Animal Collective for literally every album they've put out

the most similar two releases they have are Danse and HCTI and even those are nothing alike aside from being noisy

trips confirm

Man . . . I don't even . . . do you dingus-heads not read the OP in the threads you respond to?????

Peter Jeffries, Talk Talk, Stars of the Lid, Brian Eno just to name a few

aint no one fuckin with this

They went from recording She Loves you to Tomorrow Never Knows in like 2 years

This is a damn good point.

this song is from 1965

youtube.com/watch?v=Twj0i8yXRrI

this song is from 1966

youtube.com/watch?v=7UjvdZm-Tu8

Boredoms between Chocolate Synthesizer and Super AE was a pretty drastic change, although they were released 4 years apart

released about a year apart

youtu.be/0_z_UEuEMAo

youtu.be/97cq4NDj9hE

fuck, and both songs are so beautiful too

Agree with these.
I was thinking about Boredoms too user, but four years is a while. I'd throw in Tim Buckley, Lisa Germano, and Steve Roach.

Wouldn't expect less from AnCo fans

U2's transition from War to The Joshua Tree is pretty drastic.