How important is to go to college to study music?

How important is to go to college to study music?

What do they learn?

If you're not STEM or having rich parents with connections

YOU ARE FUCKED.

if we're all STEMfags who will do the reproducing

not an american (spic shithole).

how do I get a college musical education?

>he doesn't know that the richest m8s get the hottest chicks

everything there is to know about music (theory, production, etc.) is on youtube

go to an actual academy, don't go to a college

answer this:

What do they teach you in college?

Should I hire a private tutor instead to learn the basics and then self teach myself?

What's the diference?

Do small academies count as well?

you learn music theory and lots of useless shit. if you're capable of learning theory and practicing a lot without school forcing you to, you should honestly major in something more promising just as a 'backup plan'

they learn how to make friends who also make music and then drop out of college to tour together and become rich and famous rapper/producers together.

OP, listen up cause this is probably the best answer you're gonna get in this thread...

In all honesty, as a former audio production/music major. DO NOT waste your time, seriously... you won't make a living studying music. I've worked internships at recording studios that couldn't afford to hire me on because they were barely staying afloat themselves

I've since gone back to school and earned a degree in graphic design and print technologies and found a much better job than I could have hoped to find in the music industry.

The music industry has too much DIY possibility these days, there's not enough demand for professional audio mixing to sustain a job market. And 90% of the time no one's going to pay you just because you know how to mix well or write a nice melody (there is a small market for commercial music making, but the demand is still slim and it's very hard to get into to a level that will provide you a living.)

>TL; DR: Keep music as a hobby/passion, teach yourself theory and dabble with your own compositions and go learn to make a living doing something else.

to make connections

music school only benefits you if you go there with talent(ie they hook up the talented students with contracts)

otherwise

just get fl studio and read theory books

yo

can you still make money off music on the radio/youtube/patreon?

Get a student teacher. Go to a local institution of higher education that has a music department and look for flyers advertising lessons. When/if you get good enough, you can get a professor as a teacher.

>How important is to go to college to study music
what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

learn music composition, maybe make music for the guys at /vg/

Biochemistry w/ Biotechnology minor here.

I play guitar, but don't know anything about music theory. Is it okay to ask permission from music theory/composition professors to sit in on their lectures for free?

Isn't it more focused on pianos as well?

Or make time to do it yourself, hobby majors have all the fun sucked out of them.

you can definitely do this on your own through youtube tutorials and/or books

Not sure if my reading comprehension is poor, but I'm not majoring in music.

if you make it as a musician you can always make money, but there are very low chances of it happening

somebody post that blackpill comic with the engineers

yeah, but should I hire a private teacher for at least the first year to learn the basics?

I mean do the theory study on your own terms, I know you didn't bring up majors, it's just that music class in college are boring as hell

I went to music school. I work at a surf shop now. Irl nobody gives a shit about a bachelors in music performance. Most of my other friends dropped and didn't even finish. One guy I still talk to did graduate with me, he plays the cello in the city orchestra. It's theory, composition, technique stuff. It's very nice being around a lot of musicians, so yes networking is a very big thing. I don't know what you want to do though. If you want to be in a band with your buddies or just relax playing at your house, you really would be making a mistake going. If you want to be an orchestra conductor then yeah.

Being able to ask anything to any professor was the highlight for me. They really knew their stuff. Now if you want to dip your toes into theory you could literally download any book you want now. Youtube is an amazing tool. Get a personal instructor and spend the rest of your time studying on your own. College classes if you can afford them. What instrument do you play?

You're probably right. Thanks.

I want to buy a keyboard.

Wait you're not playing yet? Before you even worry about courses get your equipment first. When you have everything look into a private instructor and take lessons with them. Do this for a good long while. Go on slsk and get literally every book/pdf/dvd/cd/guide you can find and study very hard user. I don't know where you live or what school you'd go to but jumping in without even knowing how to play straight into college course doesn't sound like a good idea.

you dont need to know music theory you fucking autists. 90% of all the top charting artists right now dont know shit about theory.

You can learn everything theory wise from books, but the biggest part of going to a music school is learning to master your instrument from a master themselves. Music schools, much like art schools expose you to important people in the industry. Say you wanna go to school for jazz, you will have the opportunity to play in important big bands in your city. Is the money worth going to music school? That's up to you and how dedicated you are to playing music.

At that point it's determined by who you know. I'm sure the majority of us can make a radio worthy 4/4 song, but how many of us have connections to do that.

thats not a good example. they have 12 people writing their songs with famous producers in state of the art studios.

metro boomin doesnt know music theory. he just makes what he thinks sounds good by clicking midi notes into the piano roll. hes made like all of the rap hits in the past few years.

You can do it all online, but having some to coach you and talk directly to you is invaluable. I had a great music theory teacher all though high school, the smartest and craziest guy I ever met.

but thats wrong. only people with no work ethic say that