Seriously what went wrong? This place was literally a cornerstone of Americana in the 90's...

Seriously what went wrong? This place was literally a cornerstone of Americana in the 90's. Never has a business has such an abrupt plunge into shit.

the internet happened

seriously, did you not understand it when it happened?

>rent tapes, then DVDs
>constant complaint: late fees, returning on time
>along comes Redbox & Netflix - no late fees, easier returns
>Netflix turns streaming

thats basically it

no it wasn't
mom and pop rental stores were always better in every way

glad these megacorporate leeches got outmoded just as they were busy putting honest american small businesses in the fucking dirt

I feel as though I need to clear some things up about why Blockbuster Video is closing, and why they went chapter 11 in the first place a few years ago

>Blockbuster Video used to be owned by a Jew owned company named Viacom
>Viacom are money-grubbing whores
>Viacom buys all of blockbuster's rentals and merch with loans, instead of profits
>every year use profit to pay off loans, take out new loans to buy new merchandise
>blockbuster decides to split from viacom because they are tyrants
>viacom takes all of blockbuster's profits from that year, but does not pay off the loans
>the loans were taken out under blockbuster's name, not viacom's, so the loans technically belong to blockbuster
>viacom does not tell this to blockbuster corporate
>when blockbuster finds out, there is already a shit ton of interest, and viacom has all of their profits
>desperately try every quarter to pay off loans
>1 mil loan becomes 3 mil then 5 mil, finally tens of millions of dollars are owed
>go chapter 11, file for bankruptcy
>Dish network buys Blockbuster Video, because they want to use the iconic Blockbuster Video logo to sell tv subscriptions, plus wants brick and mortar stores to sell tv subscriptions
>closes unprofitable stores that were still around after chapter 11 closings
>has 300 locations left
>all are profitable
>blockbuster is profitable as a whole again, especially in the North East
>fast forward 2 years to 2013
>Dish decides to go exclusively to streaming
>considers selling BBV
>no fewer than 3 companies are interested in buying
>but Dish wants to keep Blockbuster logo for streaming service, cant do that if they sell the company
>decide to liquidate stores, put 3000 people out of work, all over the rights to a logo
>tell employees they are being laid off AFTER telling the news networks

Blockbuster's problem was it was owned by two shitty Jew owned corporations.

I guess also thrown in illegal downloading somewhere near the end too, but honestly i think blockbusters days were numbered before that

They should have just fired all the stockholders and gone private and closed 3/4 of their locations and carry only things that give you an experience you can't get on the internet such as

>VHS tape rentals and sales
>Personal theater setups that you can rent which seat ~30 people
>etc

This, corporate fuckery and a whopping helping of mismanagement, they were in no way inevitably doomed.

Reminder: Blockbuster CEO passed on the chance to buy a fledgling Netflix back in 2000 because it was a "very small niche business,"

>Blockbuster Video used to be owned by a Jew

Stopped reading right there.

Your kind would.

They should have embraced the DVD format sooner. They were very reluctant to do so at first and only adopted it when they were more-or-less forced to.

People who refuse to accept inconvenient realities always get bit in the ass by it eventually.

>didnt adapt to netflix
>tried when it was too late

>owner of netflix hated blockbuster for insane latefees

the owner of netflix is as based as it gets

>They should have just fired all the stockholders
How does one do that in your strange fantasy world, exactly?

I was just acting like i was dum

>illegal downloading

where do you think you are?

Smart people who don't piss their pants and scream "JEW!!!!" Every few minutes?

I really do miss the days of Blockbuster Video. It was a great weekend as a kid if you knew you were going there with mom and dad. Tool around the aisles picking out two or three movies after hitting the 'New Releases' section while the "doo-doo-doo-doo-doo Always Coca-Cola" jingle played on screens overhead between trailers, then over to video games while the parents made up their minds on what crappy movie they were going to get.

Once the video game section lost its appeal, then it was over to gawk at the movies and read the covers of titles you were never allowed to watch. Then it was over to the checkout lanes to get shit-tons of candy. At least one selection of chocolate and one ridiculously gimmicky neon gummy goop thing with more sugar crystals sprinkled on top was Blockbuster law. Then the endless wait in line while disgruntled adults argued with acneyed teenagers over previous late fees and their failures to rewind; the smell of dirty plastic boxes and oily film wafting from inside mountains of VHS tapes sliding through the drop box.

No, people who get payed by image related to hide, twist, and muffle the truth online 24/7

Always have this saved, just for when another user is asking what really went down.

>Netflix offered themselves to Blockbuster
>"No"

Jej

jesus christ

Trust me when I say that Jesus has nothing to do with the tings that "man" has done in his life.

OP must be 15 years old