Holy fucking christ...I know America has shit taste in movies...

Holy fucking christ...I know America has shit taste in movies... but HOW on Earth did this movie not make a bigger splash in box office revenue and ratings? This seriously must have been one of the best of 2015 and it goes almost completely unnoticed? Are you fucking kidding?

Discussion on Moby Dick/ Story of the Essex. The only other Moby Dick "movie" I've seen is that crap made for TV mini series with Patrick Stewart. This blows that out of the water... The production and music here alone were amazing. Did anyone else see this in theaters? I admit I didn't get the chance, but by the time I was ready, it had already disappeared. I hate that good movies like this, go completely un-noticed, while shit action movies, or comic book franchises are a dime a dozen, yet still pull in tons of cash... (I'm looking at you dr. strange) Anyway sorry for the rant, but has anyone else seen In the Heart of the Sea and felt like it was snubbed and forgotten by the shit taste of it's intended audience

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uPK9y2IwGas
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was great. No one on Sup Forums has seen it.

Comfy and engaging.

saw it in theaters because i loved the book. i was disappointed. 6/10

it was nothing like the book, but the movie was still pretty good. I enjoyed it.

Not everything needs to mirror the original book. This was a great movie on it's own,.

Great movie, but my only complaint was I think it was a *tad* too stylized and exaggerated at times. While I don't doubt the historical accuracy, the characters and theme seemed to hold whales up to be almost god like dieties at times.

>Big splash.
>Movie about a whale literally splashing around
I'm sorry no one else thought this was as funny as I did OP.

>Splash

true but it would have been so much crazier.
>island burning
>giant shark
>killer whale
it was like mother nature fights back.

When this got completely trashed on and Force Awakens was hailed as the saviour of the Star Wars franchise, that's when I knew for sure I was inside the matrix. This world and these people can't be real

that smile tho.

Why the fuck do you care what Americans watch or not?

Stop being so fucking obsessed.

>in cinemas boxing day
Nobody over here saw it because nobody over here knows when the hell "Boxing Day" is.

OP Here, ohh that's right..came out around the same time as star wars. More proof to my argument. Force Awakened by mediocre, rehashed shit, purely for fan service...
In the Heart of the Sea wasn't perfect, I'm not a HUGE Hemsworth fan honestly, but it's a criminally underestimated and under seen movie. This movie needs to be up there with some of the greats.

Really good movie. Watched it again just a couple of weeks ago.

this, but a 6/10 is generous.
It couldn't decide if it wanted to be a methodical, historical drama, or an action movie.

It failed to do either satisfactorily.

Historical Drama/Character introspection

Oh by the way, if you haven't listened to this album about The Essex, you haven't lived life.

youtube.com/watch?v=uPK9y2IwGas

Great movie, saw this in cinemas, there were only 5 other in the cinema

was a comfy film, had a great time watching it

also, i have seen crazier shit in the sea in real life than the giant whale, so not disputing that part

Seeing all the good words in this thread makes me interested to see it. Tbqh there is another BBC tv-movie about it titled 'the whale', which is why i would prefer a modern straight adaptation of "Moby Dick" instead.

But fine enough, gonna try it anyway.

It was entertaining but could've been much better

By replacing Hemsworth with Murphy for a start

Then cut all the cheesy stuff like the stare between him and the whale near the end

Storytime?

It was boring.

People are not hot on Ron Howard for some reason.
RUSH was fucking awesome and also bombed. This was pretty great (I liked it... not quite as much as you though) and also flopped. Fucking shame.

Would have been a huge hit in early 2000s America

Its problem was it wasn't Disney and wasn't quippy.

If it had Chris Hemsworth comedically yelling about how the whale needs to call 1800 Jenny Craig it would have been a hit.

Was this movie shot in 48 FPS or something? It looks abit soap operay. This is definitely higher frame rate than the normal 24

Not even. It was strictly worse than Master & Commander, and that performed below expectations when it released.

Fucking nigger with purely continental ancestry detected. Go back to Ypres Franzoislino.

Don't sully my thread with petty racist insults you piece of shit. I won't have this de-volve into some uncivil shit slinging thread.

>HOW on Earth did this movie not make a bigger splash in box office revenue and ratings?
because the direction, acting, writing and cgi are garbage and if you like it, you have shit taste, sorry.

I think normies simply cant appreciate the see unless its CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW

>tfw watched this during a tropical storm at night while on vacation in Mexico
Shit was fucking crazy during the white whale attack, I kind of wish they went for an R-rating though.

Don't they teach Old Man and the Sea in high school anymore?

Hemingway interjects talk he doubtless hear in Havana about the young folks not having respect for the sea and referring to it as or "it" instead of "her." That is, they didn't have a relationship to the sea like the old man did. They treated it like a challenge to overcome.

Really makes you think.

>tfw the first trailers made it look like they were making nautical horror related to, but not held to the same standards as, Moby Dick
>because you wouldn't try making a historical epic based on a non-fiction book, right? You wouldn't try to compete against a book for conveying information, right?
>oh wait, they did.

The whale attack should have been 30 minutes at least.
>muh normies, muh plebes
As a non-fiction work, the book as not capable of being inferior. As a thesis on character, you had way too many characters (and they even characterized the whale) to focus on one or two and give a compelling look at them. Same goes for relationships.
They were after the relationship between the cabinboy and his hero, the first mate, but instead we sit and look at the conflict between the first mate and captain, the first mate and the whale, the cabinboy (elderly) and his wife, etc. Oh, and we have Melville here who needs time on screen as well.

This should have been nautical horror.

I am going to change that soon.

OP, thank you for reminding me of this movie, totally forgot about it.

Portraying it as a story within a story kind of weakened the impact. That epilogue text was also kind of weird because it made it seem like Melville was the focus of the story the whole time when it didn't really feel like it.

That's because they did.

Whales were the only thing keeping communities like this going.

if the aussie pea brain could do a proper nantucket accent that might've helped.

Can we just talk about how God tier this poster is
I feel a sense of dread straight away as I look at it. No other poster has had that affect on me.
Reminds me of pic related

lmao Are you fucking kidding me? It's alright I guess. Doesn't look real enough. This one is way better.

>When this got completely trashed on and Force Awakens was hailed as the saviour of the Star Wars franchise

We have to bring down Disney, in the name of art. We have to

I agree that one is better
But I still like the eye one

Hemsworth the movie.

omg his overacting strong man routine got boring after ten minutes.

really shit moby dick.

The fuck is that shit?

I was pretty disappointed by it desu, It would have been better to just a make a movie based on Moby Dick and make it a character drama instead of trying to pass it as an action film

because it was shit
the whole movie has very odd lighting and a filter that messes with skin tones, making it look cheap
plot and (underdeveloped) characters are nothing special, with the drama going into melodrama way too often
it's a shame because it had a great cast and Ron Howard but still it turned out to be a turd

Easily the best Moby Dick-related adaptation out there

I'd splash my load on her chompers of you catch my drift

was pretty excited for this after the trailers

only got around to watchin it a few weeks ago, it was pretty good but the green filter pissed me off

Rush was really the Ron Howard + Hemsworth movie that should have gotten more attention