Ska

Is it a meme genre? Just curious if anybody listens to this in 2017?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ECwMLVUt67c
youtube.com/watch?v=-6Rto1YOHiA
youtube.com/watch?v=kqh5AyEDqKk
youtube.com/watch?v=nYJndSXryig
youtube.com/watch?v=ZqgWuMcHc3g
youtube.com/watch?v=aCh3dU4Jxj0
youtube.com/watch?v=1Ay_RlJzjzw
youtube.com/watch?v=iGVLX8GDYA4
youtube.com/watch?v=kRDILYQqUkM
youtube.com/watch?v=inVj5QMMQts
youtu.be/Y-YHrdTeTZU
youtu.be/ARKXiNz8XJ0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I listen to Jamaican Ska (like Trojan singles) and The Specials (in terms of 2tone) but that's about it. Third-wave is a total meme.

This guy I know really likes RBF still, in 2017 the current year

english beat to

>trojan singles
holy fuck thank you. this is such bright and cheerful music

people who hate ska hate fun

Just get every Trojan boxset you can, not all ska but great music. Then move on to Studio 1.

I have the same taste in music, user. Do you like John Holt?
youtube.com/watch?v=ECwMLVUt67c

Third wave is stupid, but it's a legit genre otherwise.

Great party music, the 2tone classics are still extremely good stuff, but just as with psychobilly - its creative possibilities are painfully limited and it became more of a fashion statement than a evolving genre. And all this comes from a fan, the ska parties and concerts were among the best I've been to.
youtube.com/watch?v=-6Rto1YOHiA

People who say things like this are obnoxious

I Just Can't Stop It is such a fun album.

I can't imagine listening to this and still thinking 3rd wave is all shit

MADNESS

Ska came before reggae

This is my favorite tracks from Trojan set box. Can someone recommended something like this ?
youtube.com/watch?v=kqh5AyEDqKk
youtube.com/watch?v=nYJndSXryig
youtube.com/watch?v=ZqgWuMcHc3g
youtube.com/watch?v=aCh3dU4Jxj0

The Skatalites or Baba Brooks. Also check out Treasure Islands records for ska and rocksteady which is the precursor of ska and pretty fun.

Bob Marley when he was still ska
youtube.com/watch?v=1Ay_RlJzjzw

Only think ska related I enjoy is The Urge. They got a unique sound, Master of Styles is a fantastic album.

ska punk is the moe of music

Whenever i see that cover I instantly think its a silhouette of one of the battletoads with a fedora, I CANT BE THE ONLY ONE

>ska band name uses a play on the word “ska”

Thanks a lot

I don't like all Ska, but I enjoy some of it.

I like Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra

Not weeb btw

this

I can never unsee

skiii riiii bii tta taaaa and pu pu poom prrrrr

SKYAAA

From time to time. Last Ska record I bought was Blue Plate Specials. A cracking live record

i do too

I think the pic posted describing ska is totally inaccurate, as ska is a lot more than that.

I like the first wave, and many people have already mentioned Trojan Records and the first wave from the 60s out of Jamaica, and I also enjoy the 2nd wave from the late 70s-early 80s, especially what is known as "Two Tone" even though that was really only a record label, and many bands like Madness, and The (English) Beat were not signed to that label, but still get labeled 'Two-Tone" for some reason.

I like some of the third wave, and what is called "Ska Punk" but I can be very picky. A lot of it IS a meme, but I enjoy Op Ivy, Reel Big Fish, Against All Authority, and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, especially the early stuff.

What I DON'T enjoy is the type of Ska that attract posers like the one I've posted.

John Holt's done some cool stuff.
youtube.com/watch?v=iGVLX8GDYA4

The best ska around is Streetlight Manifesto and Cat Empire

John Holt is the shit :
youtube.com/watch?v=kRDILYQqUkM

youtube.com/watch?v=inVj5QMMQts

Anyone know any good mento or calypso compilations?

No Sublime?
youtu.be/Y-YHrdTeTZU

fucking this, saw streetlight at riot fest, lost my voice from shouting every single word to every song

Streetlight Manifesto is actually good

you guys realize that every other post in this thread is talking about how shit your taste in music is, right?

Admit that The Conspiracy was the plateau of ska.
youtu.be/ARKXiNz8XJ0

Ska is fucking terrible

and that's not true

Ok Josh

WRONG

PUNK
WITH
HORNS